Yes-- Trump is concerned about mentally ill people having access to guns!

Via:  krishna  •  3 weeks ago  •  13 comments

Yes-- Trump is concerned about mentally ill people having access to guns!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump responded to the El Paso and Dayton mass shootings by insisting Monday that “mental illness pulls the trigger not the gun,” but shortly after taking office he quietly rolled back   an Obama-era regulation that would have made it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns.

Trump did so without any fanfare. In fact, the news that Trump had signed the bill was at the bottom of a White House email that alerted the media to other legislation signed by the president.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Krishna
1  seeder  Krishna    3 weeks ago

And it came after the House and Senate, both of which were Republican-controlled at the time, passed a bill, H.J. Res 40, which revoked the Obama-era regulation. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Sam Johnson, a Texas Republican who retired at the end of 2018.

Texan1211
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @1    3 weeks ago

That regulation did virtually NOTHING.

Waste of time and should have included a mechanism for a COURT to take away someone's rights.

Krishna
2  seeder  Krishna    3 weeks ago

"It has been the NRA’s long-standing position that those who have been adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others should not have access to firearms and should be admitted for treatment," it said.

But two years ago, the NRA insisted the Obama rule infringed on Second Amendment rights to buy guns, even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness.

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @2    3 weeks ago
even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness.

That is pure bullshit.   The bill targeted people who simply needed assistance with their finances.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

There was NO, allow me to repeat that, NO diagnosis nor adjudication of MENTAL ILLNESS.  It was simply any people that had financial advocates.

Texan1211
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    3 weeks ago
That is pure bullshit. The bill targeted people who simply needed assistance with their finances.
BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE.
There was NO, allow me to repeat that, NO diagnosis nor adjudication of MENTAL ILLNESS. It was simply any people that had financial advocates.

THAT'S the part some always like to leave OUT.

I, and you, and millions of other gun owners and gun-rights supporters have absolutely NO problem with keeping mentally ill people from getting a gun. The difference between us and them is we want the right to be denied LEGALLY through a court while they just don't care HOW it happens.

Texan1211
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2    3 weeks ago
But two years ago, the NRA insisted the Obama rule infringed on Second Amendment rights to buy guns, even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness.

Then it should be extremely easy for you to show us where in the regulation that people had to be diagnosed with a mental illness by a mental health professional to be denied the right to bear arms.

Snuffy
3  Snuffy    3 weeks ago

Even CNN didn't push this as completely true.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/politics/obama-trump-mental-illness-gun-rule-fact-check/index.html

This now-removed rule did not alter federal law which prohibits individuals "who (have) been adjudicated as a mental defective or (have) been committed to any mental institution" from owning a firearm.
Mental impairment is a complex issue, and claiming that Trump made it easier for those with a mental illness to access firearms is an overstatement that ignores what the regulation did and who it affected.
The Obama ruling was for Social Security to report this but those reported would not have been adjudicated which is a requirement. Even the ACLU was against the Obama rule.

Texan1211
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @3    3 weeks ago

Shhhhh.

Can't have you tarnishing the Great Obama legacy.

SOme think that what Obama did was prevent mentally ill from getting guns. Fact don't seem to matter to them.

It Is ME
4  It Is ME    3 weeks ago

"But two years ago, the NRA insisted the Obama rule infringed on Second Amendment rights to buy guns, even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness."

There were other "Issues" noted in Obama's gun restriction ploy, which most folks took offense to !

Tessylo
5  Tessylo    3 weeks ago

I hope the 'president' doesn't have any guns.  I consider him a mentally ill moron.  

Trout Giggles
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5    3 weeks ago

Are you kidding? He's too much of a sissy to fire a gun

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
5.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    3 weeks ago
Are you kidding? He's too much of a sissy to fire a gun

I bet the people on 5th Avenue are relieved.

Trout Giggles
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif