╌>

Big drone on campus: UPS gets OK for deliveries at universities, hospitals

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  19 comments

Big drone on campus: UPS gets OK for deliveries at universities, hospitals
Residential delivers aren't happening anytime soon, but drone deliveries for institutions could soon become a reality.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Reuters

United Parcel Service on Tuesday said it won the U.S. government’s first full approval to operate a drone airline, which gave it a lead in the nascent U.S. drone delivery business over rivals Amazon and Alphabet.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) granted UPS’ Flight Forward drone subsidiary a Part 135 Standard certification on Friday. The company said the certificate allows it to expand its delivery service in campus settings such as hospitals and universities, but added that residential deliveries are years away.

The certification allows UPS pilots to fly drones beyond their line of sight and opens the door for the delivery company to expand Flight Forward. The fledgling unit is immediately doubling the number of drone flights it does for its flagship customer, Raleigh, North Carolina’s WakeMed Health & Hospitals.

“We’ll easily get to 20-plus flights per day, per drone,” said Scott Price, UPS’ chief strategy and transformation officer.

“It’s a business, it’s not a prototype or a test,” Price said of Flight Forward, which is paid to ferry blood and tissue samples to WakeMed’s central laboratory from points around its main hospital campus.

UPS said its latest certification clears the way for Flight Forward to add other campus delivery projects without seeking government approvals for each one.

“There are hundreds of campuses in the United States,” said Price, who added that UPS is eyeing drone deliveries on hospital, corporate and university campuses as it builds Flight Forward.

“This is a big step forward in safely integrating unmanned aircraft systems into our airspace,” U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao said in a statement.

Under the new FAA approval, UPS Flight Forward pilots may now operate multiple drones under one certificate.

Earlier this year, Alphabet’s Wing, the sister unit of search engine Google, was the first company to get U.S. air carrier certification for a single-pilot drone operation. It is testing home deliveries in a rural area around Blacksburg, Virginia.

Amazon, known for its splashy drone delivery tests, also has won experimental certifications to test its drones.

The FAA is writing rules for drone operations, including guidelines for sharing airspace with passenger planes and flying over populated areas.

Residential deliveries, Price said, are “years out.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

Cool new technology, that will be, eventually ,

corrupted, and exploited.

Who needs a 'military' style pepper them with assault

large capacity dirty magazine, folded in the center(near the staple with a crown outtie Apple)

when you have a delivery system that could mow so many more down...

but that's just me, or somebody, else i won't listen too, in my heads

tale of wells fargo ne buy those who might use monetary leverage to pry away furthe rmore freedoms from our society, bled    

by blood

delivered from

and produced by

U ps on the Down side of UPS    Upside Down Sides Packages    delivered    via a

P eoples united unaccountable U ltimate (Terrorists Wet Dream) produced by mental washing and dental flossing, but dryer  

S ilencing     a so what   society by developing           ser  VICES

Jedd Clampetting    Hillbilly clubbed like baby seals harping about playing the harpsachording to me

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I would like to see my favorite pizza pub start delivering by drone

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

Is that how you'll score your Mushrooms ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1    5 years ago

How did you guess?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    5 years ago

I don't know. Possibly it's in my genetic makeup, but since I'm not making this up, I'm guessing, it could also be in my jeans, that are sometimes blue, and I'm not making that up, as I have no artistic ability, and I'm not making that up  , neither, cause I altered the state of 23 and me, whence, and thence, there after, nobody lived happily, after ever

n I'm not making this up, cause I'll grow on you like a fungus, but don't get the inclination, I'm a Fungi, cause I'm making this up, 

but only, as I go along , 

with everything, nobody suggests.

oh yea, I wood never wear Guess Jeans, as they tend to make me stiff...

in all the wrong places, like it is me, posing for something the  cat drone in , or somethin, I'm guessing 

but, don't ever guess I don't know what I'm talking about, unless you have 2 more 

cause the bottle, Genie n I live out of, is alcohol free (cause who wants to pay, to

play ), certainly not me

well

at least , that's what I am      guessing

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    5 years ago
How did you guess?

You can fool some of the people some of the time and all of the people some of the time, but...

And for the last time...STOP BOGARTING!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.3    5 years ago

ok!....ok!....

I'll share....sheesh. Stop yelling at me

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.4    5 years ago

That reminds me of an incident here in Maryland at one of the prisons.  It was on camera a drone dropping a little sack into a prison yard which an inmate picked up and inside was some marijuana and a cell phone.  The inmate is not facing charges but whoever operated the drone is.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    5 years ago

Prisons are going to have to put screened "ceilings" over the prison yards.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    5 years ago

Now when the pot dispensary can drop it in my backyard....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    5 years ago

I'm all for that.  I wish they had recreational pot where I am.  Would make life so much easier for me!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Ender  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.8    5 years ago

No kidding. May be more expensive yet no hassle.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

I hope they don't fly over my backyard first.

That would be a bit embarrassing !

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

Pull your pants up already 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1    5 years ago
Pull your pants up already

My Wife "Likes It"....and any married man should know.... ALWAYS "Keep the wife happy ! jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
That would be a bit embarrassing !

Pics or it's not true.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2    5 years ago

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

Until it can land, then crawl the package up under the porch, forget it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Maybe I should move this article to Buttheads... what do you think Trout?