╌>

What country has jailed the most journalists?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

What country has jailed the most journalists?
Turkey was named as the world's worst jailer and as of December 1st, 2018, 68 journalists were identified as being in prison there.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Photo credit: Minding the Campus - Peter Wood

For the third consecutive year, more than 250 journalists are behind bars around the world.

China came second with 47 while 25 are imprisoned in Egypt.

The Committee to Protect Journalists, an advocacy group, said in its annual census that the authoritarian approach to critical news coverage is more than a temporary spike. 

CPJ blamed a fresh wave of repression in those countries, as well as elsewhere such as Saudi Arabia, for the global crackdown on press freedom in 2018.

The vast majority of journalists behind bars are facing anti state charges such as belonging to or aiding groups deemed by authorities as terrorist organizations. Worldwide, 28 journalists have been imprisoned on false news charges.

*                     *                     *                     *                    *                     *                     *               

Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins.

--Benjamin Franklin                          

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The topic of jailed members of the press came into sharp focus yesterday on the one-year anniversary of the detention of two Reuters journalists in Myanmar. They are serving seven-year sentences for reporting on a massacre of Rohingya by the military in that country and they were among a group of journalists named "Person of the Year" by Time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

CPJ blamed a fresh wave of repression in those countries, as well as elsewhere such as Saudi Arabia, for the global crackdown on press freedom in 2018. The vast majority of journalists behind bars are facing anti state charges such as belonging to or aiding groups deemed by authorities as terrorist organizations.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It's unfair to use raw numbers when comparisons should be made on the basis of how many per million population of a country.  If that were done, you would probably see a VERY different prioritized list that would be MUCH more meaningful.  However, I understand that it has been done with raw numbers for the purpose of prejudice and to promote disdain of certain countries.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

So, that being said-- iif you had to hazard a guess, which country jails the most journalists? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    5 years ago

Eh?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Hummmmm... Krish.... do you need to read the article to find out which is the number 1 country?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago

Hummmmm... Krish.... do you need to read the article to find out which is the number 1 country?

I would definitely not recommend  actually reading this article (or for that matter any other article) before commenting on what the article says.

Because, for starters, if you read the article then you will know what it says, and will probably make an intelligent & informed  comment. 

A much better approach would be to never read the seeded articles, but rather just make an assumption about what the article says-- and then comment.

That has the advantage of commenting on an article without even looking at it would be that that lets you say whatever pops into your head-- whether its true or not. 

(And there's probably very little chance that anyone else will catch you posting false & misleading information-- because the odds are that no one else here will look at the article either-- so they also won't know what it says-- and you're off the hook!).

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @4.1    5 years ago
Because, for starters, if you read the article then you will know what it says, and will probably make an intelligent & informed  comment. 

Wanna bet ?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago

Yeah.

From the seeded article:

Turkey was named as the world's worst jailer and as of December 1st, 2018, 68 journalists were identified as being in prison there.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @4.2    5 years ago
Yeah.

From the seeded article:

Turkey was named as the world's worst jailer and as of December 1st, 2018, 68 journalists were identified as being in prison there

Finally-- the "secret" is revealed! Someone actually read the article before commenting!

ANGELS AND MINISTERS OF GRACE DEFEND US!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2.1    5 years ago
ANGELS AND MINISTERS OF GRACE DEFEND US!

(For all you home gamers: that's from Hamlet, Act I, Scene 4)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2.2    5 years ago

And now the answer to the other burning question that's been on everyone's mind:

No I didn't know that.

I had to Google it....

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.2.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @4.2.1    5 years ago
Someone actually read the article before commenting!

Reading is fundamental .

I'm fun (just ask the Trump supporters) and I'm mental (just ask the Trump supporters).

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.5  Greg Jones  replied to  al Jizzerror @4.2.4    5 years ago

Stay on topic.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.2.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.5    5 years ago
Stay on topic.

Are you a moderator or just a self appointed hall monitor?

My comment was a response to the "seeder" of this article.

Please try to keep up with the thread.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.5    5 years ago
Stay on topic.

Not your seed, not your call. If you want to be the moderator of a seed or article, post your own. Krishna is quite capable of making his own calls.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Ender  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.7    5 years ago

No offence to any party involved but, I always thought Krishna was a woman.

Sorry Krishna if I am wrong.   Haha

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.2.9  al Jizzerror  replied to  Ender @4.2.8    5 years ago
I always thought Krishna was a woman.

Krishna is way too hare to be a woman.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

In defense of China, their population is so enormous that per capita, they shouldn't even be in the top 10.

They're still bastards, though.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago
In defense of China, their population is so enormous that per capita, they shouldn't even be in the top 10. They're still bastards, though.

Whaddya think-- should we say they're #1? 

(Or should we make up some other number?)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @5.1    5 years ago

I don't understand your comment. Why would we make them first? They're already listed second and acknowledging the per capita issue would send them down the list, not up.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    5 years ago
I don't understand your comment. Why would we make them first? They're already listed second and acknowledging the per capita issue would send them down the list, not up.

Ah-- so you read the summary,

So now at least you know who's 2nd and 3rd-- which is good!

(Some people don't even read the summary that's posted-- they just read the headline and starting making comments based soley on the headline.). 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    5 years ago
so you read the summary

I read the whole article. That's how I know how the rankings would change if you factored in population.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    5 years ago
Ah-- so you read the summary,

So now at least you know who's 2nd and 3rd-- which is good!

(Some people don't even read the summary that's posted-- they just read the headline and starting making comments based soley on the headline.). 

But has anyone ever wondered-- what is the answer to this question that has plagued mankind down through the ages:

WHO'S ON FIRST?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.3    5 years ago
I read the whole article.

You shouldn't do that-- that's not really very "politically correct" on most social media sites!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.1.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @5.1.4    5 years ago
WHO'S ON FIRST?

Yes.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago
In defense of China, their population is so enormous that per capita, they shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Unfortunately I think I may have pissed off Buzz-- if I had to guess why he's pissed, its because his guess was that the article probably said that China was #1, so naturally he felt the need to defend them (based on his guess).

Actually, I can't really blame him....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.2    5 years ago

What pisses me off, Krishna, is that the numbers are bullshit.  Sure they are the numbers of actual journalists jailed, but the population differences HAVE to be taken into consideration.  China has a population of 1.43 BILLION and there are 47 jailed, whereas Syria has a population of 17 MILLION and there are 6 jailed.  But the population of China is 84 times that of Syria, so if the figures were meaningful, that means compared to China, Syria's jailed a monumentally greater number taking into consideration the population of both countries.  China's population is almost 18 times that of Turkey, which if properly presented would show Turkey to have jailed a huge greater percentage of population, and can you imagine the difference if you consider Bahrain who jailed 6 same as Syria, but it has a population of only 1.25 million - the comparative figure for jailed journalists would be ASTRONOMICAL.  I'd venture to say that China should actually be at the BOTTOM of such a list as displayed in the article, not near the top.

The numbers shown in the seed are MEANT to be prejudicial and breed hatred because proper application of apples to apples calculations are WAY different than are shown.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago

It's amazing and sad how many of these countries are in the Middle East. Whatever differences those countries might have with each other, they seem to share a culture I guess I'll call "go along or go to jail." 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago
It's amazing and sad how many of these countries are in the Middle East.

I would face the death penalty in some Middle Eastern countries because I posted a "Draw Muhammad Day" video on YouTube.  

I violated their blasphemy laws.

Fuck 'em.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @7.1    5 years ago
I would face the death penalty in some Middle Eastern countries because I posted a "Draw Muhammad Day" video on YouTube.  

Several people who did that received death threats. 

(Actually it was more than several...)

DWere you on the Internet during the "Mohammed Cartoon Crisis"?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @7.1.1    5 years ago
Were you on the Internet during the "Mohammed Cartoon Crisis"?

Yes, and I received hundreds of profanity laced death threats.  I found them very amusing.

YouTube censored most of my content.

"Draw Muhammad Day" (May 20, 2010) was a response to the death threats received by an editorial cartoonist in Seattle.

About 2,000 YouTubers posted Muhammad videos.

Here is my contribution (one of my only videos that wasn't removed by YouTube):