╌>

FOX News Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my career'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  5 years ago  •  60 comments

FOX News    Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my career'
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the Special Forces source stressed to Fox News. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A member of U.S. Special Forces serving alongside the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria told Fox News' Jennifer Griffin on Wednesday they were witnessing Turkish atrocities on the frontlines.

“I am ashamed for the first time in my career,” said the distraught soldier, who has been involved in the training of indigenous forces on multiple continents. The service member, whom Griffin described as "hardened," is among the 1,000 or so U.S. troops who remain in Syria.

“Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It’s horrible,” this military source on the ground told Griffin. “We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement [with the Turks]. There was no threat to the Turks -- none -- from this side of the border."

President Trump  said the U.S. would pull its troops from northeast Syria on Sunday, a move considered a blow to the U.S.-backed Kurds by many analysts and political observers. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan later announced a military operation  in the region  that he said was to "neutralize terror threats" and establish a "safe zone."

At least seven civilians have been killed in strikes in northeastern Syria since the assault began on Wednesday, according to activists and a war monitor. Turkey later announced that its ground forces had invaded the region  to fight the Kurds.

“This is insanity,” the concerned U.S. service member said. "I don’t know what they call atrocities, but they are happening.”

Griffin called it one of the hardest phone calls she has ever taken.

U.S. military officials told Fox News the president ordered the military not to get involved in the Turkish strikes, after the Kurds requested air support.

Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria are guarding thousands of captured Islamic State (ISIS) fighters, now without the help of the U.S. in the area.

The Special Forces member said the Kurds have not left their positions guarding detainees. In fact, “they prevented a prison break last night without us," the military source on the front line said. “They are not abandoning our side [yet]."

"The Turks are hitting outside the security mechanism," according to the source, who said the Kurds are "pleading for our support."

The American troops are doing “nothing," the source lamented. "Just sitting by and watching it unfold.”

Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were “surprised” by Trump's withdrawal decision Sunday night.

Of the president’s decision, the source said: “He doesn’t understand the problem. He doesn’t understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level-headed actor.”

“The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone,” said the longtime member of Special Forces. “It’s a shame. We are just watching. It’s horrible.”

“This is not helping the ISIS fight," the military source said.

Many of the ISIS prisoners "will be free in the coming days and weeks," he predicted.

Trump told reporters Wednesday afternoon that the captured terrorists were "really bad people who should go back to Europe."

"We said to various countries, we'd like you to take your people back. Nobody wants them, they're bad," Trump said, saying that "maybe the Kurds [...] if not them, Turkey" would deal with the ISIS fighters.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the Special Forces source stressed to Fox News. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

American troops were disappointed in the decisions being handed down by senior leaders, the source on the ground added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

How can this possibly be "Making America Great Again"?

Or are you Trump lovers going to be listing this under "Fake News" and run away from the facts?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago

That craphole isn’t part of America. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1    5 years ago

So sad that so many don't understand the concept that has been America

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1    5 years ago
That craphole isn’t part of America. 

I wonder if our Kurdish allies feel that their homeland is a "craphole"?

(Or perhaps I should say "ex-allies"-- as they now know the U.S. government in not to be trusted?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

This makes me sick to my stomach.  I Originally thought that Nikki Haley should wait until 2024 to throw her hat in the ring.  I've now changed my mind.  I think the Republicans should back her as THE Republican candidate for POTUS in 2020.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 years ago

All in with your there Buzz.  It is going to be damn near impossible for the US to remove this stain.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    5 years ago
All in with your there Buzz.  It is going to be damn near impossible for the US to remove this stain.

There are several negative aspects to this, In addition to Trump being complicit in genocide, what potential allies will ever trust the U.S.again? 

The Kurds that "we had their back"..which in fact we did. 

Until a sleaze like Trump stabbed them in the back!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

His behavior isn't surprising at all. He mocks John McCain and the parents of an American soldier that dies saving his buddies. 

We do know one thing for sure the 5 generations of the Trump family in the US have NEVER served in the military. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
5 generations of the Trump family in the US have NEVER served in the military. 

The selfish would never contemplate military service as it's for "suckers".

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4  seeder  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Trump is now calling Turkey's operation against the Kurds "A bad idea."

"I have gotten him to stop from virtually the first day I was in office, but they wanted to fight and that's the way it is. And they've done it for so long," Trump said.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  seeder  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Did all our Trump supporters call in sick today, or is it that they can't come to support this move by Trump either?

Freedom Warrior.....?   C4P.....?  Hello...... Anybody out there?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ozzwald  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    5 years ago
Did all our Trump supporters call in sick today, or is it that they can't come to support this move by Trump either?

They're waiting for the latest talking points to try and explain this away or blame it on Obama.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    5 years ago

Since everyone wants to ignore reality.

1) Are US forces in Syria there legally under international law? It is a simple yes or no answer.  If your answer is anything but no. Provide the National Security Council Resolution # and link. Hint, it doesn't exist. Syria never invited the US, France, etc there. The only outside forces in the country are Russia, China, and Iran with permission. No, the war on terror doesn't count.

Syria has asked US, French, and Turkish forces to depart.

Syria's foreign minister on Saturday denounced US, French and Turkish forces operating in his country as "occupying forces" and demanded that they leave immediately.

Addressing the UN General Assembly in New York, Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem also called on Syrian refugees to come home, AFP reported, even though the country's war is now in its eighth year.

Moualem (AFP)

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov had said in his remarks to the General Assembly on Friday that   the international community and UN agencies must make the return of refugees to Syria "a priority".

Moualem, who also serves as deputy prime minister, said the foreign forces were on Syrian soil illegally, under the pretext of fighting terrorism, and "will be dealt with accordingly."

"They must withdraw immediately and without any conditions," he told the assembly.

Moualem insisted that the "war on terror is almost over" in Syria, where more than 360,000 people have died since 2011, with millions more uprooted from their homes.

He said Damascus would continue "fighting this sacred battle until we purge all Syrian territories" of both terror groups and "any illegal foreign presence."

2) France has about 200 of their special forces operating with the Syrian Kurds. Where the hell are they. Especially since France and Britain stated early they would protect the Kurds when the US left.

In a major victory for U.S. President Donald Trump’s national security team, the United Kingdom and France have agreed to send additional forces to Syria to pick up the slack as U.S. troops withdraw, sources familiar with the discussions told Foreign Policy .

Britain and France, the only other U.S. partners that still have ground forces in Syria, will commit to a marginal 10 to 15 percent troop increase, a U.S. administration official confirmed. Other countries may send small numbers of troops as well, but in exchange the United States would have to pay, the official said.

Neither the timeframe for the deployment nor the exact number of additional troops is clear, the official said, adding that “overall we have been disappointed” in efforts to persuade U.S. allies to commit additional resources to the ongoing fight against the Islamic State terrorist group in Syria.

In addition to Britain and France, Italy is close to a decision on whether or not to send additional forces, and a number of Balkan and Baltic states are “almost certain to send handfuls of soldiers each,” according to a separate source with knowledge of the discussions.

Trump announced the United States would completely withdraw from Syria in December 2018, a move that prompted the resignation of then-Defense Secretary James Mattis and other top officials. However, he has since partially reversed course , agreeing to leave a small U.S. footprint in the country.

While it is a success for the administration, the marginal increase of U.K. and French troops likely won’t completely fill the gap left when U.S. forces leave. The U.S. footprint in Syria is expected to drop from an estimated 2,000 troops to just 400; the exact number of British and French forces in the country is unknown, but the second source estimated each country currently has just 200 to 300 troops there.

Why isn't anyone blasting France and Britain for not honoring their commitment. Did the French troops there get lost? We haven't heard France screaming for help as their special forces fight Turkish military along side the Kurds.

3) Seems the entire world doesn't give a shit about the Kurds; but Trruuummmmpppppp, actually followed through on a campaign promise and withdrew US forces from an unwinnable proxy war in Syria. Sorry Obama/Hillary, Assad will not be ousted- unless Putin gets sick of him. Outside of screaming at Trump NATO has done nothing more than issue a rebuke; and the EU is upset- what else is new?

EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker on Wednesday demanded Turkey halt its military operation against Kurdish fighters in northern Syria, telling Ankara a political solution was the only way to end the Syrian conflict.

He spoke as Turkish forces launched an assault on Kurdish positions , with air strikes and explosions reported near the border.

Juncker told the European Parliament he recognized Turkey had “security concerns” along the border, but he warned the military action would not lead to a “good result.”

“I call on Turkey as well as the other actors to act with restraint and to stop operations already, as we are speaking, under way,” Juncker said.

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday urged Turkey to show “restraint” in its operation against Kurdish forces in Syria, warning that the fight against the Islamic State group should not be put at risk.

After NATO member Turkey launched an assault aimed at curbing the SDF, Stoltenberg acknowledged that Ankara had “legitimate security concerns” but called for a measured response.

“NATO has been informed by Turkish authorities about the ongoing operations in Northern Syria. It’s important to avoid actions that may further destabilize the region, escalate tensions, and cause more human suffering,” Stoltenberg said at a news conference in Rome with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, in remarks released by his office.

“I count on Turkey to act with restraint and to ensure that any action it may take in northern Syria is proportionate and measured.”

Yes, I am sure that will show Turkey. Oh wait, they still went ahead with the attack?! Well NATO chief did say Turkey had "legitimate security concerns". Guess they don't trust those Kurds wanting to carve up the ME to make a Kurdistan.

Then there is the big  EU3.

France, Britain and Germany are set to issue a statement strongly condemning Turkey’s offensive in northeastern Syria, France’s European affairs minister said on Wednesday.

Turkey launched a military operation against Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria on Wednesday just days after U.S. troops pulled back from the area, with air strikes and artillery hitting YPG militia positions around the border town of Ras al Ain.

The move comes after a U.S. decision to withdraw from the region leaving Turkey to launch an offensive against Kurdish militants and rattling allies, including France, one of Washington’s main partners in the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State.

“France, Germany and Britain are finalizing a joint statement that will be extremely clear on the fact that we condemn very strongly and firmly what has been reported,” Amelie de Montchalin told parliament’s foreign affairs committee answering a question on the Turkish offensive.

Capitals were still deciding at what level the statement would be issued, a diplomatic source said.

So no troops coming to the Kurds aid- despite their promise? No getting NATO to threaten Turkey being removed? No sanctions even? Just a strongly written letter that they do not know how they will deliver. That is the EU in a nutshell. No US to do the heavy lifting and they curl up into the fetal position.

4) How about Russia, surely they will demand Turkish troops pull out of Syria.

In a phone call with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan before the operation against U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters, Russian leader Vladimir Putin, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, made clear he hoped the incursion would be limited in time and scale, the sources said.

“The sooner this conflict situation is over, the better for everyone,” said Andrei Klimov, a senior pro-Putin lawmaker in Russia’s Senate.

“I really hope our Turkish partners do everything to avoid even a chance conflict on the ground with Syrian government forces and even more so with Russian soldiers.”

For Russia, it’s a delicate balancing act. It has pledged to use its air power to help Assad retake all the territory he has lost in Syria’s eight-year-old war and has repeatedly stressed the importance of the country’s territorial integrity.

But it is also working with Turkey and Iran to push for a peaceful settlement it hopes will eventually reshape Syria’s constitution and show that Russia can make peace as well as war.

Critics say Moscow’s efforts are a sham, aimed at yielding a fake political settlement to re-legitimize Assad and attract funds from the European Union and the Gulf to rebuild Syria.

Wait, Putin being nice to Turkey? WTF, oh wait, that is right- Putin is trying to get Turkey as an ally- and have them defect from NATO.

Seems that Turkey is playing both sides against the other quite effectively.

5) Giving Bush Jr and Obama a free pass. Walking free and clear are Bush Jr and Obama who created this damn mess to begin with. Bush Jr's ill advised invasion of Iraq and ouster of Saddam created ISIS/ISIL. Obama's moronic insertion of US troops into Syria and to give arms, training, logistical support, and fight along Kurds and "moderate" Sunni factions under the war of terror was simply illegal. There was no hiding the real reason Obama wanted Assad out. Training, arming, and fighting alongside the Kurds was a good way to keep Syria from winning the bloody civil war. Too bad he didn't take into account Syria inviting Russia, China, and Iran in- giving those countries ports, and air and military bases. Obama never secured the Syrian government's permission to be there. He never even tried to get a UN Security Council Resolution, as he knew both Russia and China would block it. 

Blame Trump. That is all the chicken hawks have. Anyone wanting to join the Kurds in fighting, they eagerly welcome all comers. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @6    5 years ago
Since everyone wants to ignore reality.

Somebody checked his spam folder...

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    5 years ago
Somebody checked his spam folder...

LOL!

)but you may be right :-)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    5 years ago

"No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Nothing like pissing off other allies huh ! jrSmiley_22_smiley_image.gif

"The Kurds are known to say: “We have no friends but the mountains.”!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago

We say a lot of things, too... and apparently we don't mean it.

Here is an expression to remember... Actions speak louder than words, and the Kurds have had our backs for two wars now, and each time we cut out on them after promises were made. That does not speak highly of us and our other allies are watching and taking note.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    5 years ago
That does not speak highly of us and our other allies are watching and taking note.

Let's put this on "Other" allies for a real change !

Our "other" Allies speak that way about us, no matter if we do or if we don't !

Luke 11:46

New International Version:

"Jesus replied, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them."

Matthew 23:4

New International Version:

They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @8.1.1    5 years ago
speak that way about us,

Well, I suppose you could call Luke (PBUH), Matthew(PBUH) and Jesus(PBUH) our "allies"-- but I doubt if they'd currently be much help in fighting ISIS-- or even Turkey!

And there's no way you can change what they said (unless you can get a special dispensation from the Pope (PBUH on him as well).

Which may be hard to do in a Muslim country!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    5 years ago
Actions speak louder than words, and the Kurds have had our backs for two wars now, and each time we cut out on them after promises were made.

Yes but let's not forget-- they never sent their Navy to help us during the Normany Invasion!

Trump Says the Kurds ‘Didn’t Help’ at Normandy. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @8.1.2    5 years ago
or even Turkey

We should bomb a NATO Ally on purpose ?

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     5 years ago
Yes but let's not forget-- they never sent their Navy to help us during the Normany Invasion!

Well, thank goodness that today we came to the aid of a true ally. They fought side by side with us at Normandy. A true democracy with a splendid human rights record. (except for women, gays, non muslims and a host of others and that little episode of murdering and chopping up a US resident. The Prince didn't do it. The devil did ).  Oh, and there was that little thingly about some Saudi's flying planes into towers in NY. 

So, onward Christian Soldiers we must protect the House of Saud.

Defense Secretary  Mark Esper  ordered the deployment of 3,000 service members, two fighter squadrons, one air expeditionary wing, two Patriot Missile batteries and one THAAD missile defense system, Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago
Defense Secretary  Mark Esper  ordered the deployment of 3,000 service members, two fighter squadrons, one air expeditionary wing, two Patriot Missile batteries and one THAAD missile defense system, Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said.

Well, dontcha realize that's all part of Trump's plan?

Just so you understand-- by doing that he's fulfilling his campaign promise to get us out of endless wars in the Middle east!

Would an honorable Bone-Spur-Survivor like Trump ever lie? 

Of course not!

(That's why he's removing soldiers from those countries)

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  Krishna    5 years ago

Trump: The Kurds Didn't Help Us With Normandy

Yes-- Kurdistan  is landlocked-- just so you understand.

Map of Kurdistan, a landlocked country

:It doesn't border any oceans 

And this I can tell you, there is no excuse! If the Kurds were really decent people, they could've come up with some solution (I wouldn't be surprised if the evil  Kurds were all Socialists-- like Hillary!)

Perhaps fell large trees, using the primitive Kurdish-type tools (in their shit hole country), cut them up into YUGE rollers, and rolled their ships to the Meditteranean I can tell you that!

Then charge ashore on Normandy with the other Allied fighters-- (Just so you understand.at least those Kurds who didn't have Bone Spurs which were all too common from those mountains-- its not their fault) 

Or-- perhaps the Kurds are all members of the (gasp) "Deep State"--  See map (above)  ot their landlocked country (which means its completely surrounded by land (just so you understand).

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Krishna @10    5 years ago

Please don't show that clip. A fucking draft dodger chiding people because they didn't fight in a specific war (his entire family has avoided conflict, fucking cowards) is about all I can take. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @10    5 years ago
Trump: The Kurds Didn't Help Us With Normandy

Those bastards...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

How do you even look these people in the eye as you are leaving and following orders?