Erdogan’s Ambitions Go Beyond Syria. He Says He Wants Nuclear Weapons.

Via:  krishna  •  4 weeks ago  •  61 comments

Erdogan’s Ambitions Go Beyond Syria. He Says He Wants Nuclear Weapons.
With Turkey now in open confrontation with its NATO allies, having gambled and won a bet that it could conduct a military incursion into Syria and get away with it, Mr. Erdogan’s threat takes on new meaning.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey addressing legislators from his party this month in Ankara, Turkey. Credit Credit Burhan Ozbilici/Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, wants more than control over a wide swath of Syria along his country’s border. He says he wants the Bomb.

In the weeks leading up to his order to launch the military across the border to clear Kurdish areas, Mr. Erdogan made no secret of his larger ambition.

With Turkey now in open confrontation with its NATO allies, having gambled and won a bet that it could conduct a military incursion into Syria and get away with it, Mr. Erdogan’s threat takes on new meaning. If the United States could not prevent the Turkish leader from routing its Kurdish allies, how can it stop him from building a nuclear weapon or following Iran in gathering the technology to do so?

The Turkish autocrat is a master of keeping allies and adversaries off balance, as President Trump discovered in the past two weeks.

Important Related Discussions:

1.  Are We So Weak And So Inept Diplomatically That Turkey Forced The Hand Of The United States Of America? 

2.   Christians In Turkey Face Increased Persecution

With the rise of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his Islamist party, Turkey has slowly pulled away from its historic position as a bridge between East and West and increased its persecution of Christians, said an analysis for U.S. advocacy group International Christian Concern (ICC).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Krishna
1  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

With Turkey now in open confrontation with its NATO allies, having gambled and won a bet that it could conduct a military incursion into Syria and get away with it, Mr. Erdogan’s threat takes on new meaning.

If the United States could not prevent the Turkish leader from routing its Kurdish allies, how can it stop him from building a nuclear weapon or following Iran in gathering the technology to do so?

Its become quite obvious that despite Trump's obsessive boasting about his superior "negotiating skills" he is clearly no match for the likes of even a second rate leader such as Erdogan!

Ronin2
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago

Like Clinton, Obama, or Bush Jr would have done any better.

None of the NATO countries including Britain and France have done anything to rein Turkey in.

Turkey it seems has aspirations beyond just being a member of NATO. In fact Turkey is likely contemplating life outside of NATO very soon. Hence the need for nuclear weapons; and allying itself with Russia. 

Ozzwald
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago
Its become quite obvious that despite Trump's obsessive boasting about his superior "negotiating skills" he is clearly no match for the likes of even a second rate leader such as Erdogan!

My thought is that Erdogan just told Trump, what his payment would need to be for him to open up a Biden investigation. 

You give us nuclear capability and I'll formally announce a Biden investigation...

Texan1211
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    4 weeks ago
My thought is that Erdogan just told Trump, what his payment would need to be for him to open up a Biden investigation. 
You give us nuclear capability and I'll formally announce a Biden investigation...

Your thought is quite imaginative!

Krishna
1.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    4 weeks ago

Yep.

The trump administration is fond of sleazy Quid Pro Quos. 

After trump's betrayal of our Kurdish allies, probably some of them are wishing he had offered them one of his corrupt deals:

Krishna
1.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    4 weeks ago

BTW that  cartoon is one of a most excellent series of seven -- here's a link to that seed:

7 Brutal Cartoons About Trump's Ongoing Syria Disaster

Krishna
2  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

What is clear is that in developing its nuclear program, Turkey has found a partner: President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. In  April 2018 , Mr. Putin traveled to Turkey  to signal the official start  of construction of a $20 billion nuclear plant on the country’s Mediterranean coast.

Has Trump's puppet-master & BFF has found another lover?

Ronin2
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2    4 weeks ago

Putin would be courting Turkey no matter who was president; but I guess TDDS must have the final word.

Krishna
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 weeks ago
Putin would be courting Turkey no matter who was president;

Perhaps.

But he really out-foxed the gullible Mr. Trump this time around, eh?

Of course that's par for the course:

'Are We So Weak And So Inept Diplomatically That Turkey Forced The Hand Of The United States Of America? Turkey?!'

Ronin2
2.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

So where the fuck is the rest of NATO? Want to tell me that France, Britain, and Germany can't handle Turkey? What good are they then? Trump's point about NATO not pulling their own weight and being worthless to the US is backed up.

Putin outfoxed Trump? Really. He didn't outfox Obama first by getting Syria to concede a port, military bases, and an air field to Russia? Obama overplayed his hand by putting US special forces into Syria; and then pressing for Assad to be removed. Of course that is Trump's fault as well I guess. How about Putin annexing Crimea under Obama's watch; and backing Russian Ukrainian separatists in a civil war? Seems Barack grew jelly legs after backing a coup of a duly elected pro Russian Ukrainian government. Left Ukraine out to dry against the Russians. Wouldn't even discuss selling them arms, or giving them logistical support.  

The last President to put anything over on Putin was Clinton in Kosovo. Putin hasn't been our patsy since.

Since you like to bash Trump about trying to get out of endless foreign wars, I will ask the question again. What would it take to declare victory (what a joke), and under what conditions remove troops from Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan? I will make up some popcorn and get prepared for the unreasonable list that will never be met.

There is more to the world than the US wasting countless resources and lives in never ending quagmires.

WallyW
2.2  WallyW  replied to  Krishna @2    4 weeks ago

So we should go to war with Russia and Turkey?

Krishna
2.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  WallyW @2.2    4 weeks ago
So we should go to war with Russia and Turkey?

And here all along I had mistakenly thought a neo-con like you would be wanting to go to war with Duchy  of  Grand Fenwick .

Silly me!

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.2.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Krishna @2.2.1    4 weeks ago

Why would you call Wally a Neocon, he is opposed to war. Krishna on the other hand is salivating to keep US soldiers in harms way in Syria to protect a Communist militia affiliated with the MLPK.

You win the hat on that definition.

Texan1211
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  WallyW @2.2    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.2.4  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.3    4 weeks ago

This is like seed 20 advocating for US troops in harms way to defend Communist Militias responsible for the deaths of 40,000 innocent civilians. 

Who da neocon here????? 

Texan1211
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.2.4    4 weeks ago

Remember when it was horrible that Trump would get us into new wars?

And now they WANT him to get us into one?

WTF????

Krishna
2.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.2.2    4 weeks ago
Krishna on the other hand is salivating to keep US soldiers in harms way in Syria

Au contraire mon petit chou-- I want to withdraw our troops from Syria!

Rather, I want to send them to Iraq-- to be in harms way there!

US troops leave Syria and cross into Iraq

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.5    4 weeks ago

You guys crack me up. Trump pulls back our troops as a go ahead to the Islamist Erdoğan who will now take land that is not his and commit genocide on both the Kurds and the Aysrian Christians, but then he moves our troops to Iraq to try and correct the mess with ISIS. Yeah, that sounds like a plan/ not. 

Trump's international policy blows. He has zero concept of what he is doing. And our boys are actually in more danger now, than they were before. 

Krishna
2.2.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.6    4 weeks ago
Krishna on the other hand is salivating to keep US soldiers in harms way in Syria

US troops leave Syria and cross into Iraq

Or-- perhaps I want to "stop the endless wars in the Middle East" by withdrawing them from Syria-- and put them in harm's way in SArabia-- to "end the endless wars" there!

US To Send 3,000 Additional Troops To Saudi Arabia

The new deployment means that, since May, the US has sent an additional 14,000 members of the armed forces into the region. 

Krishna
2.2.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.3    4 weeks ago

Bunch of war hawks!

So now the Kurds are wondering:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.2.4    4 weeks ago
Communist Militias responsible for the deaths of 40,000 innocent civilians. 

Citation please. And did these communists help our cause? I'm pretty sure they did. You have to remember in the M/E, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

And Krish is right. Turkey has been itching for the bomb. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-nuclear-erdogan/erdogan-says-its-unacceptable-that-turkey-cant-have-nuclear-weapons-idUSKCN1VP2QN

Krishna
2.2.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.7    4 weeks ago
And our boys are actually in more danger now, than they were before. 

Yep.

Trump's policy of moving troops out of Syria and into Iraq is having a major impact:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @2.2.11    4 weeks ago

Yup.

Texan1211
2.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.7    4 weeks ago

Excuse me, but what President has ever implemented any plan in the Middle East that actually worked?

Which President brought peace that lasted?

Krishna
2.2.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.7    4 weeks ago
Trump's international policy blows. He has zero concept of what he is doing.

To say nothing of the fact that Trump's actions are making Erdogan even bolder-- not only is Erdogan  going after our allies in Syria and Iraq-- but also inside Turkey-- where the persecution of Christians by Trump's BFF Erdogan is increasing:

Christians In Turkey Face Increased Persecution

With the rise of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his Islamist party, Turkey has slowly pulled away from its historic position as a bridge between East and West and increased its persecution of Christians, said an analysis for U.S. advocacy group International Christian Concern (ICC).

Krishna
2.2.15  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.14    4 weeks ago
Christians In Turkey Face Increased Persecution With the rise of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his Islamist party, Turkey has slowly pulled away from its historic position as a bridge between East and West and increased its persecution of Christians, said an analysis for U.S. advocacy group International Christian Concern (ICC).

Incidentally there's an excellent discussion there as well (a few of the best-informed NT users -- at least when it comes to the Middle East) are participating.

And it goes well beyond the persecution of Christiasn in Turkey (there's even a discussion of the nuclear reactor Syrian dictator Bashar Assad was building)- - check it out!

Krishna
2.2.16  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.13    4 weeks ago

Excuse me,

OK-- I'll play along:

You're excused.

MrFrost
2.2.17  MrFrost  replied to  Krishna @2.2.8    4 weeks ago
Or-- perhaps I want to "stop the endless wars in the Middle East" by withdrawing them from Syria-- and put them in harm's way in SArabia-- to "end the endless wars" there!

Which makes me wonder why we had to increase defense spending by 5.6%. 

MrFrost
2.2.18  MrFrost  replied to  Krishna @2.2.11    4 weeks ago

True, the only thing trump has made great again is ISIS. 

Krishna
2.2.19  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.7    4 weeks ago
Trump pulls back our troops as a go ahead to the Islamist Erdoğan who will now take land that is not his and commit genocide on both the Kurds and the Aysrian Christians, but then he moves our troops to Iraq to try and correct the mess with ISIS.

With all their name calling, what they fail to mention is that Trumop is actually the biggest neo-Con of all!

He betrays our allies:

Texan1211
2.2.20  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.2.16    4 weeks ago
Excuse me,
OK-- I'll play along:
You're excused.

What are you? Fucking 12?

Krishna
2.2.21  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.19    4 weeks ago
With all their name calling, what they fail to mention is that Trumop is actually the biggest neo-Con of all! He betrays our allies:

And while claiming to be trying to "end the endless wars in the Middle-east"-- what he actually is doing is moving the troops around.

Withdrawing troops from Syria? Yes-- by moving them into Iraq!

And elsewhere-- sending massive amounts of weapons to the corrupt Saudi dictatorship-- so they can massacre yemeni civilians (and Trump is complicit in other war crimes there as well).

And he continues to wage war against Afghanistan!

Trump is not only a Neocon and a hypocrite-- but actually a total Maroon!

Krishna
2.2.22  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2.21    4 weeks ago

Trump is not only a Neocon and a hypocrite-- but actually a total Maroon!

Yes-- that's maroon-- not Marine!

Because as everyone knows, our heroic Trumpster was a draft dodger--  Trump a typical Chickenhawk Neo-con who send our kids to die in Saudi Arabia, Iraq  and elsewhere...while pretending to work for peace!

Texan1211
2.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.2.22    4 weeks ago

Do you even know what a neocon IS?

SMH

Texan1211
2.2.24  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.2.19    4 weeks ago

You have no idea what a neocon actually is, do you?

Krishna
2.2.25  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.18    4 weeks ago

Our military is shaking their heads over the gross stupidity of our Bone-Spur-Challenged Moron in Chief:

Mattis mocks Trump's bone spurs during Al Smith dinner speech

Krishna
2.2.26  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.17    4 weeks ago

Which makes me wonder why we had to increase defense spending by 5.6%.

Apparently our Chickenhawk Neo-Con Bone-Spur-Challenged Maroon-in-Chief is trying to "End the endless wars in the Middle East"by betraying our Allies, increasing military spending, sending large numbers of American kids to die in Saudi Arabia, refusing to end the War in Afghanistan, and betraying his vast hordes of worshippers.

All the while praising some of the world's worst dictators while simultaneously betraying our allies.

(And that's on some of his better days!)

MUVA
2.2.27  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @2.2.25    4 weeks ago

ISIS isn’t great again at least try to be honest they haven’t reformed no one has pulled Troops out resulting in ISIS getting tanks hummers and other equipment.

Krishna
2.2.28  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.5    4 weeks ago
Remember when it was horrible that Trump would get us into new wars?

Was horrible"?

The behaviour of Trump da Neo-con Chcikenhawk still is!

Not was-- it still is!!!

US To Send 3,000 Additional Troops To Saudi Arabia

MUVA
2.2.29  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @2.2.26    4 weeks ago

There is no war in Saudi Arabia what the hell are you talking about.

Texan1211
2.2.30  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.2.28    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

MUVA
2.2.31  MUVA  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.23    4 weeks ago

It is fucking hilarious I’m to the point I can’t even read some of these post they lack any knowledge except what is gained from watching CNN

Krishna
2.2.32  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MUVA @2.2.29    4 weeks ago

I am taking about the war with the Houthi rebels across the border in Yemen.

They are firing missiles into Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is supporting anti-Houthi troops in Yemen. (Iran is supporting the Houthi rebels). This is all part of the ancient Sunni vs Shia feud. 

The Saudi gov't is a total dictatorship and are constantly trying to suppress this news.

How do I know this? Nope-- no  link.

Rather I have a friend who frequently travels to S Arabia. (He is there now).

He tells me of his first person experiences. 

(I know him well-- he is not a liar).

He mentions the war-- and that is directly affecting S Arabia. The Houthis are attacking S Arabia from time to time.

(But he is very secretive about what he is doing there-- I suspect the he os working for the US gov't... secretly negotiating to supply SA with a nuclear reactor..but I could be wrong)).

I googled his name-- not a lot of info.

But I did find he is "well connected" with the U.S. gov't. Years ago he was part fofthe U.S. delegation to the UN. And he has other connections...

P,S: This is from personal communications from someone I trust who travels ferequently to S Arabia. -- you will not find any of this on CNN-- or for that matter Fox or pbs.

Texan1211
2.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.18    4 weeks ago

Gee, what is up with all the faux-concern over the junior varsity NOW?

Just Jim NC TttH
2.2.34  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Krishna @2.2.25    4 weeks ago

Written for him comments he read from a piece of paper (that, incidentally he hardly took his eyes away from) as it was a ROAST he was attending.

Ronin2
2.2.35  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2.2.14    4 weeks ago

From the article you submitted.

Last month, a U.S. commission on religious freedom held a congressional hearing about Turkey, during which several prominent analysts testified. Turkey has long been one of the most moderate Muslim-majority states, with significant religious minorities. But their numbers have declined sharply in recent decades, as many have faced increasing persecution.  

So now Trump is responsible for something that has been going on decades? 

Brunson is not the only Christian who has faced pressure from the state. “The Turkish government has accelerated the expulsion of Christian foreigners from Turkey,” he said in the hearing. “Over 50 Protestant families have had to leave the country in recent years.

Again all Trump's fault. He has been in office for 3 years only./S

Where was this outrage from the left when Egypt was crack down on Coptic Christians when Obama was in office?

Texan1211
2.2.36  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.35    4 weeks ago

The Great Obama was perfect, and that story must be fake news. You know Turkey only started when Trump took office, despite any reports to the contrary.

For everything wrong in the world only started to happen sometime in January of 2017.

Krishna
2.2.37  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MUVA @2.2.31    4 weeks ago
It is fucking hilarious I’m to the point I can’t even read some of these post they lack any knowledge except what is gained from watching CNN

See comment # 2.2.32

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.38  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.36    4 weeks ago

Holy deflection and untrue. 

I thought that Obama's international policy was sub par, too. I even wrote about it. 

This is the worst part of trying to have a discussion here. The false equivalencies and deflections. 

When Obama was president I criticized him openly. 

Ronin2
2.2.39  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2.2.6    4 weeks ago

Despite your constant protests that US troops should remain indefinitely in Syria to protect the Kurds.

Funny, I have never heard you once call for withdrawing troops from Iraq, or Afghanistan even. Seems that if Trump is for it the left is against it. 

I do blame Trump for putting more troops in Iraq to offset Iran. They are under direct threat from Iranian militias there. While those militias are behaving for now; all it takes is for Iran to let a few go rogue.

Now, remind us all again which president reinserted troops back into Iraq to save a government loyal to Iran? He even reequipped the Iraqi military, retrained them, and had the US air force provide air support to Iranian militias in the country. Funny how the left didn't bitch about that.

Of course at least our troops are legally in Iraq (until that government demands us to leave again). They were never in Syria legally.

I have repeatedly stated I am disappointed in Trump not removing troops from Iraq, and Afghanistan. I did the same when Bush and Obama were president.

No can come up with what it will take to declare victory, and under what conditions we can withdraw troops for any of the quagmires we are stuck in.

Ronin2
2.2.40  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2.2.28    4 weeks ago

Let us know when US forces enter and start bombing Yemen.

They are in Saudi Arabia to protect their oil fields, as well as US bases from drone attack. Only the left would equate a defensive operation in an allied country that requested our presence; to being in a country illegally, involved in a proxy civil war. 

MUVA
2.2.41  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @2.2.32    4 weeks ago

Got it no war in Saudi Arabia hey I already knew that if you are telling me you just learn there is a civil war In Yemen you haven’t been paying attention.

FLYNAVY1
2.2.42  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.13    4 weeks ago

Which President brought peace that lasted?

That would be Carter in working to get Israel and Egypt to stop shooting at each other....

Now lets turn this around...... Which president's administration has caused the most Middle East lives and treasure lost?

Ender
2.2.43  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.40    4 weeks ago

Should we pull out of South Korea?

Seems to be exactly what NK, China and Russia all would want.

Krishna
2.2.44  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MUVA @2.2.41    4 weeks ago
if you are telling me you just learn there is a civil war In Yemen you haven’t been paying attention.

Nice try-- but no cigar!

Obviously You are getting e....

I am just telling you because you just asked!

(I've known about the situation there for a long long time-- but rather than listing various bits and pieces and people I've spoken to over the years-- that is the easiest to explain)

Krishna
2.2.45  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.40    4 weeks ago
They are in Saudi Arabia to protect their oil fields, as well as US bases from drone attack

And one of these days a missile or drone will land on some of our soldiers that Trump has sent there, killing a few.

(But I'm sure a Chicken-hawk Neo-Con such as yourself won't mind-- and will continue to defend trump sending our soldiers into harms way...)

Krishna
2.2.46  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.40    4 weeks ago

Why do you have to ask me-- don't you read the papers (or watch the news on TV?)

Actually, based on your comments apparently you don't-- so you have to ask other people on NT.

Sad-- cery sad indeed!Very sad indeed! :-(

XDm9mm
2.2.47  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @2.2.45    4 weeks ago
And one of these days a missile or drone will land on some of our soldiers that Trump has sent there, killing a few.

Is that like when North Koreans hacked a couple of Americans to death?

Or when a bomb destroyed a hotel in Beirut?

Maybe when some radical Islamic fundamentalists essentially declared war on The United States by taking over occupying an American Embassy and killing an American embassy worker?

Do you really want to play the might happen game?

Oh, contrary to getting information from a friend....  I've gotten mine first hand by being there.  Aden to be exact just before the government went into exile.

Krishna
2.2.48  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.39    4 weeks ago

I have repeatedly stated I am disappointed in Trump not removing troops from Iraq, and Afghanistan. I did the same when Bush and Obama were president.

Based on the comments here, that would make you a "NweoCon"!

Krishna
2.2.49  seeder  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.2.4    4 weeks ago
[DELETE]

devangelical
4  devangelical    4 weeks ago

cool. where does he want them?