╌>

The NRCC sent 'moving boxes' to Democrats and told them to 'Get packing.' It prompted a police investigation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  70 comments

By:   USA Today

The NRCC sent 'moving boxes' to Democrats and told them to 'Get packing.' It prompted a police investigation

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

aaaa2f80-fa39-11e8-8fbf-da9c00b689c4   Savannah Behrmann, USA TODAY, USA TODAY   1 hour 8 minutes ago  

WASHINGTON – The National Republican Congressional Committee sent packing boxes to several House Democrats who represent battleground states to signify they'll need them as "moving boxes" next November, prompting Capitol Hill police to investigate them as suspicious packages.

The boxes were delivered outside the offices of Reps. Abigail Spanberger, D-Va., Jennifer Wexton, D-Va., Conor Lamb, D-Pa., and others to indicate they will not be in office much longer because of their participation into the  impeachment investigation  of President Donald Trump. 

The sealed boxes were adorned with bows and a message that read “Get packing!” 

Most of the Democrats who received packages flipped GOP districts in 2018 and will face competitive races next year to keep them.

Here are 4 takeaways:   NSA adviser Timothy Morrison testified on the Donald Trump impeachment inquiry.

“We know Democrats love investigations but why are they looking a gift horse in the mouth? These boxes will be useful next November!” the NRCC tweeted.

Following the stunt,   Democrats announced  that they will be using the boxes to fill with food for those in need during the holidays, writing, “We’d be happy to use those boxes so that our staff can run a Thanksgiving food drive and turn your hilarious prank into a force for good.”

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesperson Cole Leiter reiterated that whether the Republicans take them “up on our offer to put those boxes to good use, or not, we’ll be holding a canned food drive within our staff to serve local Washingtonians in need.”

The last word:   Rep. Katie Hill says she's leaving due to 'double standard' in farewell Congress speech

Reports   emerged  from journalists on Twitter that Hill police questioned a few NRCC staffers about the incident. 

“I cannot figure out why anyone would think it's funny to leave suspicious packages for Members of Congress," Wexton tweeted. "Thank you to the Capitol Police for keeping us safe, and sorry your time was wasted on such an irresponsible and reckless stunt.”

Spanberger called it a “ridiculous stunt” that resulted in “diverting and wasting law enforcement resources.”  

After an investigation by police, U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said, “The incident has been cleared.” Congressional staffers are trained to contact police regarding suspicious packages.

The stunt followed the House adopting rules Thursday for how Democrats will conduct the public phase of the impeachment investigation of Trump, a process Republicans have argued has been  secretive and unfair  to this point.

The resolution received zero Republican votes in its first full House vote, though former Republican Justin Amash, who is now an Independent, did vote for it. Only two Democrats – Reps. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey and Collin Peterson of Minnesota – voted against the measure.

'Vote them out in 2020':   Collin Peterson, Jeff Van Drew, the only two Democrats who voted against a Trump impeachment inquiry

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:   NRCC sent Democrats in battleground states 'moving boxes'

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Scumbags.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1  PJ  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

I used to have respect for republicans and actually supported a number of their platforms but now I can't stand to look at them.  It takes everything I have to be civil when I run into them at events.  God damn I hate those fuckers.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  PJ @1.1    5 years ago
God damn I hate those fuckers

That's your problem, not theirs. Therapy can help. [Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.1    5 years ago

Another great post.  Every last word of it.  A big 👍

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.3  PJ  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.1    5 years ago
Therapy can help

So will patriotism, honor, truth, and moral standings but we know that's not going to happen under this Administration, the gop leadership and those who blindly follow them.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.1    5 years ago

That's your problem, not theirs. Therapy can help. [Deleted]

No, that is    OUR PROBLEM !

We have citizens so lost as to what is actual reality, due to a never ending spewer of LIES who's fake news and Witch hunt spells polls cast in to deep stated dark horse waters drawn to quench the thirst of the worst and most gullibull steered into the abyss known as a swing and a miss led public embarrassmeant to embarrass US A whole lot, of ignorant foolz who can't piece together pizza   without a circular pie crusted under where and which such a tool is used to divide a sicilian sliced in sweet poly gone hot & wild squares all Hollywood, yet cool to the knumb touchless key pads requiring combinations of numerous letters counting off on symbols representing a number of letters configured into shapes of key Floridian residences without a formal unlisted address worn to slip under where as those so simply confuse can't comprehend letters never written to be right, symbols never metaphoric to meet or represent sent males delivered by femail male women who aren't buying male ordered brides due to improper grooming resulting in best men being over bored through the drills brides made them bore, like children believing in the boogey man, cause they don't get to pick what they knows, as it blows, out of proportion the contortion needed to accommoblindate the times they couldn't see, or be, 

up to the task of seeing what any can see,  if not choosing to knot C watt herd by those too flocking herded too close like so many minded, open to the maleble easily molded rolls so seedy, as their intellect is in needy, 

of a Lie to down the truth washed past brains thinking of how not

and

over achieving to continue deceiving the shipping of receiving 

a reality, 

that only floats in

denial,

not denied,

as truth is presented while Lied,

to two too little too lately be early,

as post time is preempted by the present,

that keeps on

presenting a pseudo faux hoax, that would be true...

if only they knew, they would know,   no...?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.4    5 years ago

Translation please!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    5 years ago
ranslation please!
that is the translation,
R U saying U want the long version  before my summation

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    5 years ago

That's funny,  and a good turn right back at the NRCC.  IMO if you can't laugh at both sides in this story you're too tightly wound up in this and are in for a very rough next couple of months.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @2    5 years ago
IMO if you can't laugh at both sides in this story you're too tightly wound up in this and are in for a very rough next couple of months.

Nothing to laugh at when law enforcement and possible bomb experts get involved.  Unless you think " swatting " is also funny.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @2    5 years ago
That's funny, 

No it's not funny. 

Remember this guy? 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  MrFrost @2.2    5 years ago

I hope he's enjoying prison.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I wonder how the NRCC would have reacted if the Democrats pulled such a stunt.  

Sounds a bit like intimidation

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

Yeah, Tessy, and you would think the damn gop had not suffered a historic whoopin in 2018 and were not staring down the road at another in 2020. But, they are Tessy. THEY REALLY ARE...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1    5 years ago
Yeah, Tessy, and you would think the damn gop had not suffered a historic whoopin in 2018 and were not staring down the road at another in 2020. But, they are Tessy. THEY REALLY ARE...

Not a historic whoopin in 2018. Don't be hysterical and embellish so much.

Obama and Clinton both saw their party lose more seats in their first midterms than Trump saw the GOP lose in his.

Geez, Democrats should try and develop a sense of humor one day---getting their panties all bunched up and twisted over some empty boxes!

LMMFAO!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Hyperbole? Are your really still in denial of the FACT that in the November 2018 midterm Congressional election the damn gop suffered the worst popular vote loss in all US history?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.2    5 years ago

Y'all think some weird shit.

Tell me, as a political party, which would you rather have?

The most overall votes or the most seats won?

I understand that many still think the overall popular vote is important, but trust me, it is irrelevant.

What good is winning a handful of districts with 70-90% of the vote compared to losing more seats?

Simple FACT is that Obama and Clinton saw their party lose more seats than Trump, so yeah, it was NOT "historic" in any meaningful terms.

it is just the manipulation of numbers to make losers feel good.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.4    5 years ago

In 2018 the gop suffered the worst popular vote loss in HISTORY. How is that not as bad as it is?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.5    5 years ago

Because no one in their right mind goves a damn what the overall totals are. They care about how many seats are won or lost THAT is what is important.

People who cite stats like these are just fooling themselves.

It is like when they cry about Hillary's "popular vote" "WIN".

There WAS no "win". No one was trying to win the popular vote---unless they were a freaking idiot!

Which would you rather have--the most popular votes or Hillary sitting in the WH?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JBB @3.1.5    5 years ago
In 2018 the gop suffered the worst popular vote loss in HISTORY. How is that not as bad as it is?

the popular vote does not mean squat in federal elections.

never has, never will.

your state is a democracy. your federal govt is not.

write that down - it is civics 101

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago
I wonder how the NRCC would have reacted if the Democrats pulled such a stunt. 

The smart play would have been not to tell anyone. Why give the NRCC the satisfaction?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.1  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @3.2    5 years ago

If I sneak into your home to shit your bed would you sleep in it rather than give me satisfaction?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JBB @3.2.1    5 years ago

i had to appreciate that metaphoric analogy symbolism for it's simplisticity that those it was meant for, might actually be able to catch 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @3.2.1    5 years ago
If I sneak into your home to shit your bed

You have an odd fantasy life going on in your head. That is just damned weird.

would you sleep in it

Here's where your analogy doesn't work. I didn't say "don't be careful with the box." I said, "don't tell anyone." So to employ your disgusting analogy, you would clean the bed, but you wouldn't call the news media.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.3    5 years ago

i'd call the news media and have them clean the bed till maid

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @3.2    5 years ago

Of course you would completely ignore such a stunt.  Not said a word about it.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago
The National Republican Congressional Committee sent packing boxes to several House Democrats who represent battleground states to signify they'll need them as "moving boxes" next November

Good one! That's actually kinda funny.

prompting Capitol Hill police to investigate them as suspicious packages

Not quite accurate. Obviously somebody in one of these Democratic offices is the one who did the prompting of police. There's very little suspicious about an empty box accompanied by what is obviously a bit of political satire. (Ironically, these are probably some of the same people who tend to characterize gun owners as irrationally paranoid).

“We know Democrats love investigations but why are they looking a gift horse in the mouth? These boxes will be useful next November!” the NRCC tweeted.

Ha! Also well played.

Democrats announced  that they will be using the boxes to fill with food for those in need during the holidays

OK, good recovery. Not funny, and a possibly a little sanctimonious, but still not bad.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago
There's very little suspicious about an empty box accompanied by what is obviously a bit of political satire.

So your posit is that they should have opened the boxes to check the contents before they notified the Capitol Police despite protocol? 

That comment should come with a WARNING LABEL: Don't follow that practice!

Instead:

Don't touch the fucking box! 

Back away from the fucking box!

Call authorities from a safe distance from the fucking box!

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Dulay @4.1    5 years ago

No kidding. I would have called the appropriate authorities too.

This is the level republicans have sunk to.

Should make them pick up the tab from this so called prank.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1    5 years ago
So your posit is that they should have opened the boxes to check the contents before they notified the Capitol Police despite protocol?

There's a protocol that says boxes from the NRCC should be presumed to be dangerous? I hadn't heard of that protocol. I take it all back.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.3  PJ  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    5 years ago

The intelligence level within the gop has plummeted. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.2    5 years ago
There's a protocol that says boxes from the NRCC should be presumed to be dangerous? I hadn't heard of that protocol. I take it all back.

Oh my bad, I forgot that there are still idiots working in government buildings that would read a hand written sharpie message on a package and take that as a green light to open it. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.4    5 years ago
a hand written sharpie message on a package

There's a protocol that says packages with hand writing on them should be presumed dangerous? That must keep the cops extremely busy.

I guess I'll continue to wait for the protocol regarding packages from the NRCC.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.5    5 years ago
There's a protocol that says packages with hand writing on them should be presumed dangerous? That must keep the cops extremely busy.

Actually, there is. If you're actually curious about it, which I doubt, you could look it up on the DHS website. Hell, even our school has such a protocol and they sent a notice out to parents so even grade school kids know better. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ @4.1.3    5 years ago

It would have to fall a lot further to get anywhere near not quite room temperature IQ of the Democrat party.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.8  PJ  replied to  Dulay @4.1.6    5 years ago

Don't waste your time trying to explain facts or policies.  I imagine you'll just receive another copy and paste job.  It's a sad state of affairs when you have to explain that since civility no longer exists the level of security precautions had to be raised.   No one can be trusted, not staffers or lawmakers.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.9  PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.7    5 years ago

What a christian thing to say.........jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.7    5 years ago

"room temperature IQ of the Democrat party"

It's that high! Who knew?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.10    5 years ago

I know! I was in a generous mood.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.6    5 years ago
you could look it up on the DHS website.

I could, but it's not my claim. It's yours.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.13  Tacos!  replied to  PJ @4.1.8    5 years ago
Don't waste your time trying to explain facts or policies.

Don't worry. He hasn't cited any policies.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.12    5 years ago

Oh so you need me to give you a link because you're so curious that you can't look it up for yourself? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.14    5 years ago

When I make a claim you demand a link - which I supply and you then ignore. When you make a claim, you tell me to go look it up. Amazing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.15    5 years ago

Tell me that doesn't really surprise you anymore.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.17  PJ  replied to  Dulay @4.1.14    5 years ago

You don't have to provide a link.  The article mentions what the protocol is.  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

After an investigation by police, U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said, “The incident has been cleared.” Congressional staffers are trained to contact police regarding suspicious packages.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.18  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.15    5 years ago
When I make a claim you demand a link - which I supply and you then ignore. When you make a claim, you tell me to go look it up. Amazing.

I'm merely trying to motivate you and your fellow travelers to get out of you bubble and do some research for yourself. But hey, you need hand holding so here  you go:

That is only ONE of the many links from DHS and other government agencies that WARN people NOT to touch a fucking package.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.19  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.18    5 years ago
you need hand holding

Is that what is when you ask for a link? You want someone to hold your hand? How sweet.

Meanwhile, unlike you, I will actually follow your link, examine it's content and see if it supports the claims or points you have been making.

To review, you wrote:

So you're claiming some kind of protocol applies in this situation. I have had to guess at what that protocol might be and asked for the protocol you were referring to. I suspect you hadn't seen any protocol before you Googled it yourself. In any event, you supplied this link. Let's see what it says and if it applies.

Always remain aware! Look for the anomalies:

• Rigid or bulky

• Lopsided or uneven

• Wrapped in string

• Badly written or misspelled labels

• Generic or incorrect titles

• Excessive postage

• No postage

• Foreign writing, postage, or return address

• Missing, nonsensical, or unknown return address

• Leaks, stains, powders, or protruding materials

• Ticking, vibration, or other sound

The worst I think you can say about this package is that - because it was hand delivered - it lacks postage. I suppose one could argue it lacks a return address also, but I think it would be more accurate to say the return address is not complete. The sender is certainly clear enough.

None of the other qualities is present. So does this mean a police investigation was required? Or could a person just pick up a phone, call the NRCC (since that information was available), and just ask them if they dropped off the boxes? Seems to me like the latter option would have been less hysterical and a lot simpler.

The protocol doesn't say that packages from the NRCC or packages hand written in Sharpie should be considered suspicious.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.20  Tacos!  replied to  PJ @4.1.17    5 years ago
The article mentions what the protocol is.

No, the article implies that a protocol exists. It doesn't say what it is, where it comes from, how this particular package was identified as being suspicious, or why it was necessary to call the police.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.21  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.2    5 years ago

So...  If I wanted to mail a bomb to Lindsey Graham it would be as easy as putting NRCC for the return address?  You're saying that he'd open it without having it checked out?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.22  Tacos!  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.21    5 years ago
You're saying that he'd open it without having it checked out?

Do you read the comments? I did not say open it without checking it out. I said call the NRCC.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.23  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.22    5 years ago

OK.  Now, since I'm not with the NRCC they won't know anything about it.  Maybe Lindsey should have a lackey open it instead of doing it himself.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.24  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.22    5 years ago

Actually, after thinking about it, I think that anything coming from the NRCC should be considered suspect.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.25  PJ  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.20    5 years ago

A package shows up, police are called to investigate, police advise the media that the staffers are trained how to handle these type of situations. 

Most individuals would be able to connect the dots without requiring to see the actual occupancy emergency plan. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.26  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.19    5 years ago
Meanwhile, unlike you, I will actually follow your link, examine it's content and see if it supports the claims or points you have been making.

Then you intentionally IGNORED over half of the content of the PDF:

"CHECKLIST OF ACTIONS TO TAKE" 

Leave the mail piece or substance where it was found. Do not disturb. Do not try to clean up the substance.

Clear the immediate area of all persons and keep others away.
Instruct people in the immediate area to wash hands and other exposed skin with soap and water.

Direct these people to a designated area away from the substance to await further instruction.

List the names of the persons in the immediate area of the mail piece or substance.

Cordon off the immediate area.

Shut down all equipment in the immediate area and HVAC systems (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning).

Contact and pass information to the appropriate agency. A list of Contacts in Case of Emergency is provided at right.

Take actions and make appropriate notifications as directed or as published in your local emergency plan.

So yes, Tacos!, unlike me, you cherry pick from the PDF that which you think supports your ideology and ignore that which oppose it. 

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.27  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.26    5 years ago
Then you intentionally IGNORED over half of the content of the PDF:

Yes because the fundamental issue was whether or not it was worth treating it as suspicious. I maintain it was not. If you don't reach the point where it's suspicious, all that other stuff is irrelevant.

Scroll up and read. The issue was not claims you were making about what to do in the event of a suspicious package. You were claiming it was clearly suspicious. You said it was suspicious because the address was hand written with a Sharpie. That quality is not one of the defining characteristics of a suspicious package according to your link.

So clearly, you did not have knowledge of the protocols as you claimed. Or as the cool kids say, you were full of shit.

you cherry pick from the PDF that which you think supports your ideology and ignore that which oppose it. 

omg you are just consumed with politics, aren't you? Do you see everything through the lens of partisan politics? There is no "ideology" in play here. We're talking about a package, not policy.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.28  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.19    5 years ago
I suspect you hadn't seen any protocol before you Googled it yourself.

Actually, my wife was a Supervisor for DHS/TSA @ Midway Airport. She studied for weeks prior to testing for the position and we spoke quite a bit of the crazy rules and protocols they follow. 

Now the question is, why didn't YOU Google it YOURSELF? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.29  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.27    5 years ago
You were claiming it was clearly suspicious. You said it was suspicious because the address was hand written with a Sharpie.

Scroll up and read, I never used the term 'suspicious'. 

Secondly, I said that the link I provided was one of MANY Here's another one: 

Wherein it states: 

No postage or non-canceled postage. 

Handwritten addresses or labels from companies are improper. Check to see if the company exists and if they sent a package or letter. 

.Handwritten notes, such as: "To Be Opened in the Privacy of" "CONFIDENTIAL" - "Your Lucky Day is Here" - "Prize Enclosed". 

Hand delivered or dropped off for a friend packages or letters. 

So while I'm sure that whoever called in the package knew that the NRCC exists, it could and SHOULD be viewed as a threat until cleared. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.30  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.29    5 years ago
Here's another one:

Oh yes, by all means. Keep hunting through Google for protocols you've never seen before. Maybe one will finally approximate the claims you made based on protocols you claimed to know about and everyone will just conveniently ignore that you clearly had no particular knowledge on the topic at all. 

keep-going-dont-stop-we-have-nice-show-here-popcorn-meme.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.31  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.30    5 years ago

No postage 

Handwritten addresses or labels from companies are improper.

Handwritten notes

Hand delivered or dropped off 

freepress
Freshman Silent
6  freepress    5 years ago

What is really disgusting is after 9/11 and the "ricin" envelope scare, the anthrax that killed someone and anthrax scare, these GOP "representatives" actually know better which makes it despicable beyond words. Not to mention the rabid Trump supporter who sent bombs to Democrats and news organizations. Enough already with the threats and intimidation. Democrats did not do anything like this when Clinton went through the impeachment process.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The gop and this administration are nothing but dirty tricks.