╌>

OP : ED .....So this is why Trump doesn’t want officials to testify

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  30 comments

OP : ED    .....So this is why Trump doesn’t want officials to testify
If this is a sign of what’s to come, Republicans will soon regret forcing Democrats to make impeachment proceedings public. Over 10 hours, the transcript shows, they stumbled about in search of a counter-narrative to her damning account.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Now we see why the Trump administration doesn’t want officials to testify in the impeachment inquiry.

Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.)  released the first batch of transcripts  Monday from the closed-door depositions, including that of Marie Yovanovitch, the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine removed from her post by President Trump at the urging of his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

If this is a sign of what’s to come, Republicans will soon regret forcing Democrats to make impeachment proceedings public. Over 10 hours,  the transcript shows , they stumbled about in search of a counter-narrative to her damning account.

Yovanovitch detailed a Hollywood-ready tale about how Giuliani and two of his now-indicted goons hijacked U.S. foreign policy as part of a clownish consortium that also included Sean Hannity and a corrupt Ukrainian prosecutor. Their mission: to oust the tough-on-corruption U.S. ambassador who threatened to frustrate Giuliani’s plans to get Ukraine to come up with compromising material on Joe Biden and the Democratic Party.

Mike Pompeo has a cameo as the feckless secretary of state who refuses to stand up for his diplomat out of fear of setting off an unstable Trump. It all culminated in a 1 a.m. call from State’s personnel director telling Yovanovitch to get on the next flight out of Kyiv. Why? “She said, ‘I don’t know, but this is about your security. You need to come home immediately.’ ”

Yovanovitch, overcome with emotion at one point in her testimony, said she later learned that the threat to her security was from none other than Trump, who, State officials feared, would attack her on Twitter if she didn’t flee Ukraine quickly.

Confronted with this Keystone Kops way of governing, Republicans didn’t really attempt to defend Trump’s actions. Instead, they pursued one conspiracy theory after another involving the Bidens, George Soros, the Clinton Foundation, Hillary Clinton, the Obama administration, deep state social-media “tracking” and mishandling classified information. They ate up a good chunk of time merely complaining that Yovanovitch’s opening statement had been made public (which under the rules was allowed).

“Ambassador,” Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) interjected, “are you aware of anyone connected to you that might have given that to The Washington Post?”

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) interjected: “Did you talk to the State Department about the possibility of releasing your opening statement to the press?”

Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.) jumped in: “Ambassador Yovanovitch, do you believe that it is appropriate for your opening statement to be provided to The Washington Post?”

But Trump will need more than complaints about leaks to counter the narrative that Yovanovitch — and others — have documented.

Ukrainian officials had told her to “watch [her] back” because Yuri Lutsenko, a Ukrainian prosecutor with an unsavory reputation, was “looking to hurt” her and had several meetings with Giuliani toward that end. Lutsenko “was not pleased” that she continued to push for cleaning up Lutsenko’s office, and he tried to meet with Trump’s Justice Department to spread misinformation about her — including the now-recanted falsehood that she had given him a “do-not-prosecute list.”

She testified that wary Ukrainian officials knew as early as January or February that Giuliani was seeking damaging information on the Bidens and the Democrats — perhaps in exchange for Trump’s endorsement of the then-president’s reelection.

When Yovanovitch was attacked by Giuliani and Donald Trump Jr., among others, she asked for Pompeo to make a statement supporting her, but he didn’t do it because it might be “undermined” by a presidential tweet. (Pompeo did, apparently, have a private conversation asking Hannity to cease his attack on her.) Instead of support, she got career advice: Tweet nice things about Trump.

Notably, Republicans didn’t respond to her testimony by trying to make Trump’s behavior look good; they probed for ways to make Yovanovitch look bad.

They suggested she was part of a diplomatic conspiracy to monitor Trump allies such as Laura Ingraham, Lou Dobbs and Sebastian Gorka. They probed for damaging details on the Bidens (“Were you aware of just how much money Hunter Biden was getting paid by Burisma?”) and for ways to damage her credibility (“What was the closest that you’ve worked with Vice President Biden?”). Maybe Ukraine really did try to help Hillary Clinton in 2016, they posited. Maybe Ukrainian officials were “trying to sabotage Trump.” They asked if she ever said anything that might have led somebody to “infer a negative connotation regarding” Trump.

Meadows, struggling mightily to prove some wrongdoing by Yovanovitch, found he couldn’t pronounce the names he had been given — so he spelled them out. “I’m sorry, I’m not Ukrainian,” he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I knew her testimony had been bad for Trump, but I didn't know it was this bad. No wonder he is frantically losing it every day. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Everybody's  testimony is bad for Trump. Seems he might be starting to realize it.

I see fear in his eyes. About time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I dont know if Yovanovitch's testimony by itself supports impeachment, but it does display wide open just how personally corrupt the Trump administration and Trump himself is. 

Normally, this ambassador's story in itself would be the scandal of the decade. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

is ambassador's story in itself would be the scandal of the decade. 

What scandal?  Seriously. The President didn't trust her and used personal representatives for diplomacy? That's a scandal? 

Like how FDR didn't trust his state department and used friends like Harry Hopkins as his emissary to foreign governments? Wad FDR impeached for that? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    5 years ago

Pitiful, just pitiful. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    5 years ago
The President didn't trust her and used personal representatives for diplomacy?

The president didn't trust her to go along with his scheme to extort Ukraine into witch hunting Joe Biden based on absurd far right conspiracy theories. 

Fixed it for you. 

Then he made sure she was driven out of her position so the scheme could proceed unhindered. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    5 years ago
What scandal? 

You know...the scandal that is really, really, REALLY going to get Trump now. Not like the other 50 or so "scandals" this and other seeders have failed on.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @2.1.3    5 years ago

U.S. envoy to EU acknowledges Ukraine quid pro quo in impeachment testimony

3 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland presumed there was a quid pro quo in the Trump administration’s withholding of U.S. aid to Ukraine pending an anti-corruption investigation, according to an excerpt released by congressional impeachment investigators on Tuesday.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    5 years ago

Is that the you came come up with?jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    5 years ago
presumed

But not proven.

Opinions sure can be a bitch when it's one you don't agree with.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    5 years ago
What scandal?  Seriously. The President didn't trust her and used personal representatives for diplomacy? 

Yovanovitch left in MAY yet Giuliani is STILL interacting with Ukraine. 

Yovanovitch is now posted at Georgetown University, Walsh School of Foreign Service, Institute of the Study of Diplomacy. She mentors and recruits future US Diplomates. One would think that the US government would want a trusted professional in that position.  

BTW, every one of the State Dept. employees who has testified stated that Giuliani was fucking up the US/Ukraine relationship, which plays into the hands of the Russians. 

That's a scandal?

NO. The scandal is Trump and his sycophants maligning an American diplomat for personal benefit and profit and threatened our relationship with Ukraine.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @2.1.3    5 years ago

You know...the scandal that is really, really, REALLY going to get Trump now. Not like the other 50 or so "scandals" this and other seeders have failed on.

Like the 9 benghazi investigations over 5 years? I think the trump/russia investigation should be done again, from scratch, at least 8 more times. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    5 years ago

Pretty sure that Trump doesn't know how NOT to break the law. 

He was born raised and trained to be a criminal just like his parents.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

But the GOP just shrugs their shoulders and waits for the next time a dem pisses on their shoes to scream loud and long.

Nothing will likely ever compare to Trump's  idiocies and crimes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    5 years ago

74791445_10220452751970832_8819811747171926016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlLw826ft31HZe4OXjXjDvaatW2XQ7JGENahTcyIgtEDkCeIa8ULrMn0F8ropbXZkg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=25b563cce52b39ae1ad6f10fab862f52&oe=5E5DB7AE

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

I don't think anyone knows, nor cares, bout these people.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @3.1    5 years ago

You'd be wrong. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @3.1.1    5 years ago

OK, I guess you are 1.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  cjcold  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    5 years ago

Color me 2.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bugsy @3.1    5 years ago

You wish we didn't know or care.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  bugsy @3.1    5 years ago

Color Linda and I, 3 and 4.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bugsy @3.1    5 years ago

Six, and it's still early in the day.....

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.8  bugsy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.7    5 years ago

Looky here...six people in the six days since I posted. The ratings for them should be out of this world....but they're not.

I will clarify my post, however...

"I don't think anyone knows, nor cares, bout these people".....to

Only six people know, or care, bout these people.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.9  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @3.1.8    5 years ago

Seriously, though. Fly

Happy Veteran's day and the same to all veterans on here.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bugsy @3.1.9    5 years ago

There are days, times and events when we all drop the gloves and all act like Americans...... Today should be one of them.

Best to you bugs.....

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.11  bugsy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.10    5 years ago

Agree one hundred.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Yovanovitch, overcome with emotion at one point in her testimony, said she later learned that the threat to her security was from none other than Trump, who, State officials feared, would attack her on Twitter if she didn’t flee Ukraine quickly."

O.M.G. !

Not the dreaded "TWITTER ATTACK" ! jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

Oh the "In-Humanity" of it all. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

EF5oL6OVAAAZuzq.jpg

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Trump officials, especially the forever Trumpers, are in an unenviable situation.  The dilemma they face is the reality that the man they are entrapped to serve is the one who believes, "When you're a star--you can do anything." 

It is hard to testify truthfully without being untruthful in light of what Trump is and has been all of his life.