Man, 62, spends eight years building wooden car

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Wu Yong

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

5dd7bca5a310cf3e97a7e875.jpeg

Sun Lixue spent eight years building a wooden car with hands. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoting / for chinadaily.com.cn]

Sun Lixue, a 62-year-old carpenter from Tieling, Liaoning province, spent eight years building a sports car out of wood. The wooden car cost him more than 200,000 yuan ($28,430) and years of self-learning from internet.

Sun began to learn carpentry from his father at the age of 16. But he was fascinated with the idea of combining modern technology with tradition.

It was 10 years ago when he was surfing online that he found a brand-new world of creative carpentry.

"I discovered that my foreign counterparts could make almost everything with wood. So I thought I could too," said Sun. He decided to create one car with hands.

He started learning typing from scratch and taught himself ergonomics via the internet. Sun completely devoted the past eight years to his car.

"I hope this wooden car could be displayed out of the village and be appreciated by experts both at home and abroad," Sun said.

Li Dingdian contributed to this story.

5dd7bca5a310cf3e97a7e878.jpeg

The car model is 1934 Mercedes 500K Special Roadster. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoting / for chinadaily.com.cn]

5dd7bca5a310cf3e97a7e87b.jpeg

Sun's house and his hand-made car. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoting / for chinadaily.com.cn]

5dd7bca5a310cf3e97a7e87e.jpeg

Sun Lixue is working on a wooden motor bicycle. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoting / for chinadaily.com.cn]

5dd7bca5a310cf3e97a7e881.jpeg

Sun Lixue is assembling his wooden car. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoting / for chinadaily.com.cn]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Surely Mercedes-Benz would not sue him for copyright/patent infraction - they should invite him and ship his car to Germany to show it off there.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Amazing piece of workmanship.

Kudos to Sun Luxie 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

I wonder how long those bumpers will last.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    5 years ago

Sorry MUVA, I can't open YouTube.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Dad and I used to restore and repair cars back in the '60's and 70's.  He was about as meticulous as it comes.

But, if he saw these two cars today, he'd be fighting to get out of his grave and get on one or two of his own.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I think it is a thing of beauty and should be shared with the world.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    5 years ago

What an amazing artistic accomplishment.    I wonder how much that car weighs and I hope he does not drive it.   One tiny fender bender and his artwork is toast.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     5 years ago

Hopefully you can open this link Buzz. It's the 10 classic wooden cars of all time...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

I could open the link and saw some amazing cars - works of art, so what the Sun LIxue did was not unique. I can remember seeing real woodie Chrysler Town and Country cars when I was young.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    5 years ago

HIs may have not been unique but it is still a stunning work of art. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @7.1.1    5 years ago

Agreed.  Why I said it was not unique (although in a way it is one of a kind) is because it's been done before.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

Wwow.