Trump: U.S. Will Designate Mexican Drug Cartels As Terrorists

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  2 weeks ago  •  65 comments

Trump: U.S. Will Designate Mexican Drug Cartels As Terrorists

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

That will give greater power to deal with them.

WASHINGTON   (Reuters)   – U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview aired on Tuesday that he will designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorists over their role in drug and human trafficking.

“They will be designated … I have been working on that for the last 90 days. You know, designation is not that easy, you have to go through a process, and we are well into that process,” Trump said in an interview with conservative media personality Bill O’Reilly that aired on Tuesday.

Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported. Financial institutions that become aware they have funds connected to the group must block the money and alert the U.S. Treasury Department.

Keep reading…

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

The Mexican government puckered up immediately. The cartels control politics and the cancer has destroyed a wealthy country that borders ours. The designation will make it much more difficult to launder and bank their money. All of the tools will now be at the disposal of law enforcement and we can begin destroying the National Security threat that is much larger than ISIS. We can then eliminate all those involved including Mexico's corrupt politicians.

I expect Mexican politicians to beg the US not to designate their biggest donors as terrorists as many of these scumbags will also make the list. The amount of dope and machine guns they are pulling out of stash houses in Texas in the last few years has been an eye opener. We have Terrorists operating all over our country and our law enforcement is struggling to contain it.

Ed-NavDoc
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago

Should have been done a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

Heartland American
1.1.1  Heartland American  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    2 weeks ago

My feelings exactly.  Again it took a disruptor of the deep state to get it done. Thank you Mr. President! 

The Magic Eight Ball
1.1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    2 weeks ago
Should have been done a long time ago,

decades...

The Magic Eight Ball
1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago
The Mexican government puckered up immediately

yepp  :)

XDm9mm
1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago
The Mexican government puckered up immediately.

Of course they did.  A good percentage, if not all of them are involved themselves.

Tessylo
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago

So how does labeling them terrorists accomplish anything?

Ronin2
1.4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    2 weeks ago

Heard of the War on Terror? It is the reason the Mexican government is shitting bricks right now. This is no longer a law enforcement issue; it is a US military issue. Think the Cartel can take the US military? Think the Mexican government wants the US military operating within it's borders?

If Obama can go into Iraq and Syria using the War on Terror; think anyone will stop Trump from entering Mexico?

It Is ME
2  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

This is just another Trump thing to manufacture a "Real Problem". jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  It Is ME @2    2 weeks ago

The corrupt Mexican politicians have already started. We don't want to be invaded. We don't want our citizens held as enemy combatants. Is Seal Team 6 going to be taking out our beloved Drug lords? How will we get campaign money? LOL

Dean Moriarty
3  Dean Moriarty    2 weeks ago

It makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine if an organization is a terrorist group. I wonder if the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings will be excluded. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3.1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    2 weeks ago

If they are doing business with the cartels which they do, they will be included. Many of our bogus nonprofit open border fronts will lose their cash too. It will become harder for the cartels to fund the lunacy.

Krishna
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    2 weeks ago
It makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine if an organization is a terrorist group. I wonder if the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings will be excluded.

Don't forget MS-13 -- they're relatively small in numbers probably the most violent of all.

bbl-1
4  bbl-1    2 weeks ago

The cartels thrive because of governmental corruption.

Are the cartels terrorists?  No, but only in the sense that they are receiving profit from government corruption.  But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

and crime onto the general populace.

Is there a remedy?  Legalization?

The Magic Eight Ball
4.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 weeks ago
Is there a remedy?

yes, put boot to ass

Ozzwald
4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 weeks ago
But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

Are they inflicting terror it on Mexican citizens or Americans?

bbl-1
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    2 weeks ago

Everyone.

Ed-NavDoc
4.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    2 weeks ago

Both.

Krishna
4.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    2 weeks ago
Are they inflicting terror it on Mexican citizens or Americans?

Yes.

Ozzwald
4.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.2    2 weeks ago

Both.

Bullshit!

Krishna
4.2.5  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.4    one week ago
Bullshit!

How so?

Are you saying the Cartels haven't ever inflected terror on American citizens?

Or they've never inflicted terror on Mexican citizens?

(Or do you actually believe they haven't ever terrorized either?)

Perhaps you believe that they are true "friends"-- just like Trump's BFF Kim Jung Un!

Trump calls Kim Jong Un a 'friend' while downplaying North Korean weapons testing

Ed-NavDoc
4.2.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.4    one week ago

Please explain as in why you say it is BS. You obviously do not live on or anywhere near the AX/Mexico border like I do. As I have said in the past, I live literally 6 blocks from Mexico and hear automatic weapons fire routinely coming from Mexico. That American family that was massacred by the cartels a few month ago  happened just few miles into Mexico from where I live. They brought the surviving injured family members through the port of entry through Douglas, AZ. I see the carnage caused by the cartels on a regular basis up close, do you? Somehow I very much doubt it. They are very much terrorists in every sense of the word!

Ed-NavDoc
4.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.6    one week ago

No answer. Why am I not surprised?

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4.3  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 weeks ago

Actually the Government is corrupted by the cartels. 

Pluma or plata.

You take the money or the bullet.

bbl-1
4.3.1  bbl-1  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.3    2 weeks ago

Isn't that what I implied, as far as corruption.

And as far as corruption, money or bullets?  The governments have both.  They are just corrupt.  Deserving of overthrow by revolution or ballot. 

Ed-NavDoc
4.3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.3    2 weeks ago

Actually it is plomo or plata.

Tacos!
4.4  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 weeks ago
Are the cartels terrorists?  No, but only in the sense that they are receiving profit from government corruption.  But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem.

Krishna
4.4.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.4    one week ago
They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem

Talk is cheap. Sure, call the cartels "Terrorists".

Name calling (as Trump is so fond of doing) will have no real effect on solving problems. Well, except on his "Base" who will believe that Trump's promises actually mean something.

Will he actually taken any effective action against the Cartels? Well, I'll believe it if I see it. 

Krishna
4.4.2  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.4    one week ago
They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem

Why not? Maybe if Trump treats them real nice . . .like he did with Kin Jung Un, he can get the Cartels to pay for the Wall!!!

As he promised numerous times during his campaign-- Mexico's gonna pay for the Wall. And not just part of it but "The Whole Enchilada"!

We doubted him because we assumed he meant the Mexican gov't would pay.  But maybe Trump is smarter than we think-- he knows that if he makes nice to them-- a tactic he used with great success with N Korea's Kim Jung Un-- the Cartels will pay for the Wall!)

Ed-NavDoc
4.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 weeks ago

Sadly, to many of our elected officials, it seems like it has become more a case of capitulation.

Paula Bartholomew
5  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

Just how are we going to combat these terrorists anyway?  Will Mexico give us permission to send in troops or give a thumbs up for air strikes to mass exterminate them?  Are the cartels going to go "Boo hoo hoo, the mean man called us a name." and just continue on?  What is Trump's solution other than just adding a label?

Heartland American
5.1  Heartland American  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 weeks ago

This is key.  It will affect how Americans in America act as well:   Once a particular group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported.  

Financial institutions that become aware they have funds connected to the group must block the money and alert the U.S. Treasury Department.   https://thenewstalkers.com/community/discussion/48774/trump-us-will-designate-mexican-drug-cartels-as-terrorists

Krishna
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Heartland American @5.1    one week ago
Once a particular group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported.

Excellent point!

And we all know that once something is declared "illegal"-- no one would ever do it again!

(And this is especially true of the Drug cartels. They are men of honor, and will no longer terrorize anyone . . .now that ..its actually ...illegal!

Ozzwald
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 weeks ago
Just how are we going to combat these terrorists anyway?

By building a wall of course.  This is just another way Trump is trying to get money for his idiotic wall.

Tessylo
5.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    2 weeks ago

You hit that right on the head 

How desperate 

Krishna
5.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    one week ago
By building a wall of course.  This is just another way Trump is trying to get money for his idiotic wall.

Well it might work. Now the Trump has done this we no longer have to worry about who gonna pay for the wall.

Now that the cartels have been declared terrorists, its obvious that now the drug cartels will pay for the Wall! (Because they are embarressed by being labeled 'terrorists" and by paying for the Wall the Cartels will once again be able to clear their good name (They will pay for the Wall00 just like Trump promised. In return Trump will then take away their terrorist label-- and we can all live happily ever after. 

A true Win-win for everyone involved    yet another accomplishment by the master negotiator and beloved president...the Great Donald Trump!

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
5.3  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 weeks ago

We have treaties for terrorism and we don't need permission.

Heartland American
5.3.1  Heartland American  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @5.3    2 weeks ago

The question I have is what if a person is in custody of a sanctuary city or state and they are listed to be a member of a designated terrorist group, will they be handed over to ICE?  Would those Americans literally shield foreign terrorists from our own federal government? 

Texan1211
5.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Heartland American @5.3.1    2 weeks ago
Would those Americans literally shield foreign terrorists from our own federal government? 

Well, of course the same idiots would protect them.

They are just coming here for jobs, anyways, not to conduct any illegal activity or anything like that!

Krishna
5.3.3  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @5.3    one week ago

We have treaties for terrorism and we don't need permission.

Do you seriously believe that this means that Trump will actually do anything about the cartels? That he will actually risk putting American troops in harms way by sending them into Mexican territory to get slaughtered (and/or brutally tortured) by the Cartels? Are you actually that much of a Neo-Con "Chickenhawk"?

Krishna
5.4  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 weeks ago
What is Trump's solution other than just adding a label?

He will tweet nasty things about them on Twitter. (Perhaps that will solve the problem?)

evilgenius
6  evilgenius    2 weeks ago

Awesome and just like the boarder wall Mexico will pay for it too! /s This is about as dumb as, "Just say no."

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  evilgenius @6    2 weeks ago

Awesomely worthless comment. Mexico is our southern neighbor.

I know Trump turned all the code pink weenies into Neocons but cartel violence is more significant than ISIS and is a much greater threat to national security.

Buckle up cupcakes this is more important than arming commie Kurds.

Why is it so difficult to help neighbors and so easy for you to support Middle East Wars? This one actually effects all our communities.

Tessylo
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.1    2 weeks ago

Your comment about the Kurds is beneath worthless.

It's deplorable 

MUVA
6.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

What do you actually know about the kruds except you know you like the cheddar ones.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.1.3  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

Those Kurds are actually on the terrorist list, they've slaughtered 40,000 Turkish civilians.

Deplorable was ever supporting such filth.

bbl-1
6.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.1.3    2 weeks ago

Putin appreciates your---comment----opinion-----what ever it is supposed to be.

Heartland American
6.1.5  Heartland American  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

The Kurds in Iraq are quite admirable as are many but not all in Syria. Some of the ones in Syria are related to ones in Turkey with real Maoist communist ideation.  

Krishna
6.1.6  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.1    2 weeks ago
This one actually effects all our communities.

My guess is that he will talk about it, Tweet sabout it-- and do nothing significant.

(Hopefully I'm wrong-- but only time will tell)

Kavika
7  Kavika     2 weeks ago

As long as the demand is there there isn't much that is going to stop the drugs from coming in or being produced in the US. 

The war on drugs has been a complete failure. Hopefully this might do some good.

Paula Bartholomew
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @7    2 weeks ago

The real terrorists are the street gangs here in the US.  We should focus on eliminating them first.

The Magic Eight Ball
7.1.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    2 weeks ago
The real terrorists are the street gangs here in the US

good news. they will be caught up in this as well

Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support

that includes gangs / two birds - one stone

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/border-mexico/article/13-gangs-and-cartels-that-are-working-together-in-13384458.php

Heartland American
7.1.2  Heartland American  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    2 weeks ago

Starting with MS-13

XDm9mm
7.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    2 weeks ago
The real terrorists are the street gangs here in the US.

You DO realize that the vast preponderance of street gangs here in the US are involved with the drug cartels in one way or another, either directly or indirectly.

Krishna
7.1.4  Krishna  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @7.1.1    2 weeks ago
Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support

Good point!

Once any activity is declared illegal, it will cease.

The Magic Eight Ball
7.1.5  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Krishna @7.1.4    one week ago
it will cease.

cease? no. become very expensive? yes.

cheers :)

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
7.2  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Kavika @7    2 weeks ago

The Mexican government is collapsing because of the cartels. We have little choice

I know. It's so much easier to war in the middle east.

This is not about the drugs but the carnage taking place in Mexico and in our own country.

If you can care about some kurds, you can care about Mexico and your fellow citizens.

XDm9mm
7.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @7.2    2 weeks ago
The Mexican government is collapsing because of the cartels.

Actually, I don't believe it's collapsing as much as it's being consumed by the cartels.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
7.2.2  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  XDm9mm @7.2.1    2 weeks ago

It's collapsing. Joaquin Guzman was captured and released because the Mexican army had no choice. The Sinaloa cartel kicked their teeth in.

Kavika
7.2.3  Kavika   replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @7.2    2 weeks ago
  The Mexican government is collapsing because of the cartels. We have little choice

I did say that hopefully, this terrorism designation will help....Did you miss that?

I know. It's so much easier to war in the middle east.

I don't know about that, you might want to ask my son. He is quite experienced in the ME..He doesn't think it all that easy to win in the ME...

This is not about the drugs but the carnage taking place in Mexico and in our own country.

The carnage is because and about the drugs. DUH

If you can care about some kurds, you can care about Mexico and your fellow citizens.

Not sure what the Kurds have to do with this other than you having a plank up your ass. What makes you think that I don't care about my fellow citizens. Because I don't blow a lot of hot air and smoke like you doesn't mean that I don't care.

Oh, BTW when it comes to drug and gang violence I quite familiar with it and still carry some scars that attest to it. 

Krishna
7.2.4  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @7.2.1    2 weeks ago
Actually, I don't believe it's collapsing as much as it's being consumed by the cartels.

I wonder if there even is an independent Mexican government?

It certainly looks like the Mexican Hovernment is The Cartels.

That despite the facade they pretend exists, the government and the cartels are one and the same! :-(

Tacos!
7.3  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @7    2 weeks ago
As long as the demand is there there isn't much that is going to stop the drugs from coming in or being produced in the US.

We might be past that at this point. I saw recently that the cartels are expanding into ordinary agriculture. For example, in places, they are moving to take control of the avocado industry.

Inside the bloody cartel war for Mexico’s multibillion-dollar avocado industry

Mexico’s multibillion-dollar avocado industry, headquartered in Michoacan state, has become a prime target for cartels, which have been seizing farms and clearing protected woodlands to plant their own groves of what locals call “green gold.” More than a dozen criminal groups are battling for control of the avocado trade in and around the city of Uruapan, preying on wealthy orchard owners, the laborers who pick the fruit and the drivers who truck it north to the United States.

Kavika
7.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @7.3    2 weeks ago

With the amount of money involved all systems set to protect the US against drugs is always at risk.

This story appeared yesterday.

https://bigwnews.com/world-news/ups-employees-ran-drug-trafficking-ring-for-a-decade-authorities-say/

Although UPS isn't an organization set to protect the public it shows the long reach of the drug gangs and how the money can get them into most anything. 

Tacos!
8  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

This is something we usually criticize the Left for, but here the Right is in "the wrong" - at least legally (IMO).

Words have meaning and we shouldn't change the meaning to suit an agenda. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the agenda here. By all means, let's go after the drug cartels. But they are not terrorists.

Terrorism is defined by law :

the term “ terrorism ” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

There's no political motivation behind the cartels. They are horrible, violent, sick in the head criminals with apparently no regard for human life, but mere criminals all the same. I don't see them promoting a political agenda beyond being able to do as they please to make money.

Labeling these criminals as terrorists will likely have ramifications beyond simply making it easier to fight them.

For example, if the cartels are defined as terrorists advancing a political agenda, then everyone who is victimized by them can arguably be said to be persecuted for political reasons. That would make many thousands of Mexican citizens eligible for asylum in the nearest safe country, which would be of course, the United States. 

I'm guessing Trump hasn't been advised of that.

Ronin2
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 weeks ago
For example, if the cartels are defined as terrorists advancing a political agenda, then everyone who is victimized by them can arguably be said to be persecuted for political reasons. That would make many thousands of Mexican citizens eligible for asylum in the nearest safe country, which would be of course, the United States.  I'm guessing Trump hasn't been advised of that.

Like they aren't coming in anyways.