╌>

Trump: U.S. Will Designate Mexican Drug Cartels As Terrorists

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  65 comments

Trump: U.S. Will Designate Mexican Drug Cartels As Terrorists

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

That will give greater power to deal with them.

WASHINGTON   (Reuters)   – U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview aired on Tuesday that he will designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorists over their role in drug and human trafficking.

“They will be designated … I have been working on that for the last 90 days. You know, designation is not that easy, you have to go through a process, and we are well into that process,” Trump said in an interview with conservative media personality Bill O’Reilly that aired on Tuesday.

Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported. Financial institutions that become aware they have funds connected to the group must block the money and alert the U.S. Treasury Department.

Keep reading…

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

This is just another Trump thing to manufacture a "Real Problem". jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

It makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine if an organization is a terrorist group. I wonder if the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings will be excluded. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    5 years ago
It makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine if an organization is a terrorist group. I wonder if the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings will be excluded.

Don't forget MS-13 -- they're relatively small in numbers probably the most violent of all.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

The cartels thrive because of governmental corruption.

Are the cartels terrorists?  No, but only in the sense that they are receiving profit from government corruption.  But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

and crime onto the general populace.

Is there a remedy?  Legalization?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago
Is there a remedy?

yes, put boot to ass

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago
But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

Are they inflicting terror it on Mexican citizens or Americans?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago

Everyone.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago

Both.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago
Are they inflicting terror it on Mexican citizens or Americans?

Yes.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.2    5 years ago

Both.

Bullshit!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.4    5 years ago
Bullshit!

How so?

Are you saying the Cartels haven't ever inflected terror on American citizens?

Or they've never inflicted terror on Mexican citizens?

(Or do you actually believe they haven't ever terrorized either?)

Perhaps you believe that they are true "friends"-- just like Trump's BFF Kim Jung Un!

Trump calls Kim Jong Un a 'friend' while downplaying North Korean weapons testing

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.4    5 years ago

Please explain as in why you say it is BS. You obviously do not live on or anywhere near the AX/Mexico border like I do. As I have said in the past, I live literally 6 blocks from Mexico and hear automatic weapons fire routinely coming from Mexico. That American family that was massacred by the cartels a few month ago  happened just few miles into Mexico from where I live. They brought the surviving injured family members through the port of entry through Douglas, AZ. I see the carnage caused by the cartels on a regular basis up close, do you? Somehow I very much doubt it. They are very much terrorists in every sense of the word!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.6    5 years ago

No answer. Why am I not surprised?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.4  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago
Are the cartels terrorists?  No, but only in the sense that they are receiving profit from government corruption.  But yes in the sense that they are purposefully inflicting terror, instability

They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.4.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.4    5 years ago
They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem

Talk is cheap. Sure, call the cartels "Terrorists".

Name calling (as Trump is so fond of doing) will have no real effect on solving problems. Well, except on his "Base" who will believe that Trump's promises actually mean something.

Will he actually taken any effective action against the Cartels? Well, I'll believe it if I see it. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.4.2  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.4    5 years ago
They are terrorizers, to be sure, but legally calling them terrorists is a desperate reach. I get the desperation, but this is not going to be the answer to the problem

Why not? Maybe if Trump treats them real nice . . .like he did with Kin Jung Un, he can get the Cartels to pay for the Wall!!!

As he promised numerous times during his campaign-- Mexico's gonna pay for the Wall. And not just part of it but "The Whole Enchilada"!

We doubted him because we assumed he meant the Mexican gov't would pay.  But maybe Trump is smarter than we think-- he knows that if he makes nice to them-- a tactic he used with great success with N Korea's Kim Jung Un-- the Cartels will pay for the Wall!)

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

Sadly, to many of our elected officials, it seems like it has become more a case of capitulation.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Just how are we going to combat these terrorists anyway?  Will Mexico give us permission to send in troops or give a thumbs up for air strikes to mass exterminate them?  Are the cartels going to go "Boo hoo hoo, the mean man called us a name." and just continue on?  What is Trump's solution other than just adding a label?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago

This is key.  It will affect how Americans in America act as well:  Once a particular group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported. 

Financial institutions that become aware they have funds connected to the group must block the money and alert the U.S. Treasury Department.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago
Once a particular group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported.

Excellent point!

And we all know that once something is declared "illegal"-- no one would ever do it again!

(And this is especially true of the Drug cartels. They are men of honor, and will no longer terrorize anyone . . .now that ..its actually ...illegal!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago
Just how are we going to combat these terrorists anyway?

By building a wall of course.  This is just another way Trump is trying to get money for his idiotic wall.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    5 years ago

You hit that right on the head 

How desperate 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    5 years ago
By building a wall of course.  This is just another way Trump is trying to get money for his idiotic wall.

Well it might work. Now the Trump has done this we no longer have to worry about who gonna pay for the wall.

Now that the cartels have been declared terrorists, its obvious that now the drug cartels will pay for the Wall! (Because they are embarressed by being labeled 'terrorists" and by paying for the Wall the Cartels will once again be able to clear their good name (They will pay for the Wall00 just like Trump promised. In return Trump will then take away their terrorist label-- and we can all live happily ever after. 

A true Win-win for everyone involved    yet another accomplishment by the master negotiator and beloved president...the Great Donald Trump!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.4  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago
What is Trump's solution other than just adding a label?

He will tweet nasty things about them on Twitter. (Perhaps that will solve the problem?)

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    5 years ago

Awesome and just like the boarder wall Mexico will pay for it too! /s This is about as dumb as, "Just say no."

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     5 years ago

As long as the demand is there there isn't much that is going to stop the drugs from coming in or being produced in the US. 

The war on drugs has been a complete failure. Hopefully this might do some good.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

The real terrorists are the street gangs here in the US.  We should focus on eliminating them first.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    5 years ago
The real terrorists are the street gangs here in the US

good news. they will be caught up in this as well

Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support

that includes gangs / two birds - one stone

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    5 years ago

Starting with MS-13

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Krishna  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.1    5 years ago
Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support

Good point!

Once any activity is declared illegal, it will cease.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Krishna @7.1.4    5 years ago
it will cease.

cease? no. become very expensive? yes.

cheers :)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.3  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago
As long as the demand is there there isn't much that is going to stop the drugs from coming in or being produced in the US.

We might be past that at this point. I saw recently that the cartels are expanding into ordinary agriculture. For example, in places, they are moving to take control of the avocado industry.

Inside the bloody cartel war for Mexico’s multibillion-dollar avocado industry

Mexico’s multibillion-dollar avocado industry, headquartered in Michoacan state, has become a prime target for cartels, which have been seizing farms and clearing protected woodlands to plant their own groves of what locals call “green gold.” More than a dozen criminal groups are battling for control of the avocado trade in and around the city of Uruapan, preying on wealthy orchard owners, the laborers who pick the fruit and the drivers who truck it north to the United States.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @7.3    5 years ago

With the amount of money involved all systems set to protect the US against drugs is always at risk.

This story appeared yesterday.

Although UPS isn't an organization set to protect the public it shows the long reach of the drug gangs and how the money can get them into most anything. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

This is something we usually criticize the Left for, but here the Right is in "the wrong" - at least legally (IMO).

Words have meaning and we shouldn't change the meaning to suit an agenda. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the agenda here. By all means, let's go after the drug cartels. But they are not terrorists.

Terrorism is defined by law :

the term “ terrorism ” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

There's no political motivation behind the cartels. They are horrible, violent, sick in the head criminals with apparently no regard for human life, but mere criminals all the same. I don't see them promoting a political agenda beyond being able to do as they please to make money.

Labeling these criminals as terrorists will likely have ramifications beyond simply making it easier to fight them.

For example, if the cartels are defined as terrorists advancing a political agenda, then everyone who is victimized by them can arguably be said to be persecuted for political reasons. That would make many thousands of Mexican citizens eligible for asylum in the nearest safe country, which would be of course, the United States. 

I'm guessing Trump hasn't been advised of that.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
For example, if the cartels are defined as terrorists advancing a political agenda, then everyone who is victimized by them can arguably be said to be persecuted for political reasons. That would make many thousands of Mexican citizens eligible for asylum in the nearest safe country, which would be of course, the United States.  I'm guessing Trump hasn't been advised of that.

Like they aren't coming in anyways.