╌>

My Thanksgiving Dinner

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  38 comments

My Thanksgiving Dinner
I hope that you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner as much as I did.

Last night I attended the annual Expats' Thanksgiving Dinner at the Crowne Plaza Hotel (formerly InterContinental Hotel) in downtown Chongqing.  I ate so much, and things I'm not used to (have not had turkey since that dinner last year) that I could hardly walk after.  It took two and a half hours by car to get there because of the traffic (during which the driver, my Chinese Doctor friend, played 1950s country and popular songs, such as The Great Pretender, Its Twilight Time, Johnny Cash singing Ring of Fire, etc. etc. which he listens to in order to improve his English pronunciation) but only an hour to get home.  It was pretty well the same buffet presentation as last year, but the turkey was not quite as juicy as last year.  I only took a few photos, because last year I posted a more comprehensive photo essay of pretty much the same thing. 

Anyway, here's the turkey and the most delicious ham I've ever tasted (Sorry Enoch, but I'm assimilated).

Appetizers included the smoked salmon rolled around cream cheese and the chopped veggie salad, along with tons of other things, many of which I could not identify.

I thought that the variety of cheese should have been at the dessert table but, the Chinese people rarely eat cheese, and I think only know about the cheese that's in a McDonald's cheeseburger, and on a pizza.

After I first had a plate of appetizers (mostly the smoked salmon) I filled my plate with a main course.  Starting at top left and going clockwise, the delicious ham slices, green beans, sweet potato fries, roasted button mushrooms, excellent stuffing buried under the mushrooms and penne in cream sauce, and finally turkey soaked in cranberry sauce.  I followed that up with a bowl of fabulous cream of mushroom soup (I got used to drinking soup after the main course, which is what they do here). I passed on the mashed potatoes even though they're a traditional side dish because I make them often enough at home.

Finally the fruit. I forgot to photo the pastries - gateau, cheesecake, apple or pumpkin pie, petite fours, tarts, etc., I ate too big an assortment of them, but I filled a bowl with three flavours of ice cream.

I hope that you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner as much as I did.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I'm already looking forward to next year's dinner, although we're going to go by subway and not drive, since it will take about half the time to get there.  There is a station in front of my apartment building, and one in front of the hotel on the same subway line.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Helloooooooooo!  Is anybody out there?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 years ago

Looks good!  Due to my sister and bother in law being with his family and my moms health we too had thanksgiving away from home.  We went to a Redding, Ca. Restaurant hosting a Thanksgiving Day all you can eat brunch style buffet called LuLu’s.  It was very good food. No pictures but we had bread, salad, mixed fruit, green bean casserole, mixed vegetables medley, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey, ham, gravy and our choice of no alcohol beverage and dessert. All all you can eat and drink. Each family had their own table and the staff was helpful and friendly.  A nice family atmosphere away from home and no cleanup.  All for only $22.95 each.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

I had two white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and a large slice of pecan pie for dessert.  Diet Coke was the beverage of choice for me.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

I just read Lulu's menus.  If that restaurant were here, I'd spend half my waking hours and half my money there.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

I’m glad you liked the menu.  It’s a nice place, not the newest or fanciest by any means but very good.  Here’s their Facebook page and includes more info and the thanksgiving menu.  It’s a recent family tradition that will continue.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    5 years ago

Facebook can't be opened here, but that's no loss as far as I'm concerned.

I forgot to tell you earlier that my dinner cost twice as much as your lunch.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.5  PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

Stop the presses.  X are you telling me there is a Y in your family?!  I never knew you had a sister.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    5 years ago

We ended up splitting the difference between lunch and dinner eating there from 3:15-5 pm.  The price was the same all day.  There were a couple other options available here in your price range that had more choices and appetizers and more carved meat but there’s something to be said for a high quality traditional meal.  Yours looked absolutely delicious and artistically presented.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ @2.1.5    5 years ago

I have one brother and one sister.  He’s a lot more liberal than I am, liking Sanders, Warren, Yang.  My sister is a little more conservative than I am.  She was for Trump almost from the beginning four years ago. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
4  TTGA    5 years ago

Still here Buzz.  Been sort of busy.  We are having our Thanksgiving dinner today instead of last Thursday.  Another relative had one then.  We have to sort of switch holidays around by a few days so that everybody gets a chance.  That usually means a whole week of parties.jrSmiley_101_smiley_image.gif   Looks like great food.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Everything looks delicious, and the presentation is very artistic! Thanks for sharing your day, Buzz.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

And you ate all that food with chopsticks. An amazing feat Buzz.

I'm really proud of you and I've alerted the media.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

LOL.  Note the fork and knife in the photo of my filled plate.  Last year, while dishing out the turkey to me, the chef chopped up the turkey he was serving me into little pieces.  I said (although he didn't understand me) that it's okay, I know how to use a fork and knife. I didn't think at the time that he probably thought we were using chopsticks.  What I've never been able to figure out is why the Chinese use chopsticks when the fork was invented in ancient China.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    5 years ago
What I've never been able to figure out is why the Chinese use chopsticks when the fork was invented in ancient China.

I have heard that there's this saying in China:

The Chinese used to eat with knives and forks but then they became civilized and started using Chopsticks.

I'm not sure if its true-- or why eating with Chopsticks would be considered more (or less) civilized?

Do you know know anything about this?

(I have also read that the act of eating with Chopsticks stimulates some Acupuncture points, but again I don't know if that is true). 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.1.1    5 years ago

When eating with chopsticks, you cannot pick up as much at a time as you can with a fork, so it could be better for your digestion if you don't put as much in your mouth as quickly as you can with a fork.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    5 years ago
When eating with chopsticks, you cannot pick up as much at a time as you can with a fork,

But they are great for picking a pocket or sticking a pocket of chopping a pocket. Don't stop me I'm on a roll.

awesome-chopstick-funny-humor-Favim.com-1064407.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    5 years ago

That's quite a talent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    5 years ago
When eating with chopsticks, you cannot pick up as much at a time as you can with a fork, so it could be better for your digestion if you don't put as much in your mouth as quickly as you can with a fork.

I've read a lot about nutrition for many years.. Ahd I've noticed that there's a trend in the U.S. over the last few years. It seems more and more people have problems with self-control and over-eating-- resulting in widespread obesity.

Many solutions to the problem have been put forth. But interestingly, one that I've seen recommended is that people wanting to.lose weight should eat more slowly-- and use Chopsticks to assist in this endeavour!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7  Raven Wing    5 years ago

What a bounty of delicious looking food, and my mouth was watering as I scrolled through the pictures. Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving dinner with us.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    5 years ago

WOW!  What a feast!

lib50
Professor Silent
9  lib50    5 years ago

That looks like it was delicious!  Some of my favorite Thanksgivings were when were living overseas and I didn't have to cook it. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz" This year we celebrated the holiday at home. 

Due to inclement weather we actually celebrated Thansksgiving on Friday night, not Thursday.

It was safer for those driving to and from us to do it that way.

There were generations of family, friends, neighbors, students and those not doing well financially. We got them rides, and packed up all uneaten foods and beverages for them to live off of until consumed. 

Mrs. E. and other mavens prepared all the foods.

The gentleman and I did the decorating, cleaning up and driving back and forth for those who needed it.

The food was amazing.

Even better the diverse company.

All enjoyed being with each other.

That was best of all.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @10    5 years ago

What you did (and do) is a reason for others to give thanks, and I know that you and Mrs. Enoch give thanks for the opportunity to do what you do (and have done).

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Many thanks for your kind words.

They are most meaningful.

P&AB.

Enoch.

shona1
PhD Quiet
10.2  shona1  replied to  Enoch @10    5 years ago

Evening Enoch..A very generous and lovely thing to do..If we had more people like you and Mrs Enoch it would truly be a wonderful world..Glad you had a great time...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10.2.1  Enoch  replied to  shona1 @10.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend shona1: Thank you, dear friend.

Mrs. E. and I wish you and yours well, now and year around.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch..

Krishna
Professor Expert
11  Krishna    5 years ago

I thought that the variety of cheese should have been at the dessert table but, the Chinese people rarely eat cheese, and I think only know about the cheese that's in a McDonald's cheeseburger, and on a pizza.

Like most Americans, I've eaten out in Chinese restaurants for many years. Then one day I realized something-- they never had ice cream for desert.

And thinking about it,I realized they don't seem to serve milk-- and don't have cheese in those restaurants. It seems the Chinese don't use dairy! 

That was long ago-- now Chinese restaurants in the U.S. have started to have ice cream on the desert menu (but still no milk or cheese...?)

Dairy products such as milk and cheese (and ice cream!) have always been a major feature of American cuisine-- do the Chinese not eat dairy products? If so I wonder why?

(Well, I believe in Mongolia they use Yak milk.. but no Cow's milk in China? Do they use Goat Milk? )

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @11    5 years ago

There's as much cow's milk in China as there is in the USA - every supermarket, grocery store and even little variety stores stock it.  Much of it is imported from Australia, New Zealand, and even Germany. They also have soy milk here.  The problem is I don't really like the taste of the cow's milk because they use the high temp quick pasteurization which makes it possible to not refrigerate it before opening, but I don't like the taste as much as I did back in Canada where slow pasteurization is used.  Once on the street there was a person selling fresh milk out of big dairy canisters, probably from his own cows, and I got some and it was delicious.  What I have trouble finding sometime is skim milk. As well there are many kinds of Yogurt in the refrigerated shelves, and ice cream is everywhere. Processed cheese slices and cream cheese are sold in supermarkets but I have to go to an import store to buy decent cheese like aged cheddar, Emmenthal, Swiss, Parmesan, Colby Jack, blue cheeses, etc. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    5 years ago

That's interesting!

I had always been under the impression that the Chinese don't eat dairy products. Is this a new trend (dairy being widely available-- even cow's milk?) Or is it something new?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @11.1.1    5 years ago

I don't know.  Milk, Yogurt, processed cheese and ice cream were plentiful when I first arrived here more than 13 years ago.

PJ
Masters Quiet
13  PJ    5 years ago

Buzz - the dinner spread looks fabulous as always.  Did your wife attend with you this year?

I hosted dinner at my new home this year.  The turkey came out perfect and the beef tenderloin was excellent.  Family brought some of the side dishes and desserts and all was delicious.  Although I was quite happy when it was over and everyone left.  This weekend two of my sisters are coming to stay for a weekend of Christmas baking.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @13    5 years ago

No, the person I go with does not take his wife either , but I snuck the kind of things you saw on my plate into sealing food bags and brought them home for her.  I think I will take her there next year, especially because the lobby of that hotel is where we first met.

Seems like you're a pretty good cook, but you start Christmas baking this early?

PJ
Masters Quiet
13.1.1  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    5 years ago

Yes, we're baking early this year and we'll freeze them.  It's more of an excuse to get together.  My oldest sister has health issues and she hasn't been herself since her daughter passed away.   

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @13.1.1    5 years ago

Yes, parents should NEVER have to bury their children.