╌>

How 'Star Wars' remade not just the movies but all of modern society

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  30 comments

How 'Star Wars' remade not just the movies but all of modern society
As “The Rise of Skywalker” hits theaters, astrophysicist Adam Frank explains how the first “Star Wars” film empowered nerds everywhere to rise up and change the world. Dec. 20, 2019

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Although I'm unable to open nbcnews videos, I was able to open that video on MSN news.  I think you could rename the video "Revenge of the Nerds". The video had some short clips from previous Sci-Fi movies/TV, including  Star Trek and Forbidden Planet (Robbie the Robot).  

As for my opinion about the whole Star Wars series.  I liked the first 3 episodes shown (IV, V, VI), was just luke warm about the next trilogy released (I, II, III), and totally lost interest in the series when Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) killed his father.  

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Luke Warm to Luke?

Who would have thought it?

Smiles.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @1.1    5 years ago

Seems to me the right word to use when talking about Star Wars.  I can still hear his name called out in my "mind's ear" from the beginning of episode IV.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: I like it.

Let's meet at the Dagobah Trader Joes and buy some Israeli Feta Cheese.

Deal?

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @1.1.2    5 years ago

LOL.  Only if there is still some left.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I've never watched Star Wars episode to completion, a true Trekkie all the way.

Never get tired of watching the reruns of any series.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago

Gregg,

I'm with you totally.  I'm looking forward to the new series "Piccard" starting in Jan. My hubby drags me to see the Star Wars. I like my Sci Fi to more real. He enjoys going to the movies. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    5 years ago

I know most don't agree with me but I only liked the Shatner/Nimoy episodes.  My favourite one was the one with the whales. 

As for my favourite SF movie, notwithstanding all the more recent technological productions, it is the original Dune movie, even though it was not liked by its own director.  I sure can't wait to see the new one that will be expanded into at least two movies in order to be more like the novel.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

There is something about Adam Driver I don't like and usually, actors don't have that effect on me. 

Well with the exception of Woody Allen and Mel Gibson...but for obvious reasons why.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3    5 years ago

I wasn't happy with any of the new characters in the third trilogy.  I don't think we were meant to like Adam Driver.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    5 years ago

I saw the first star wars as a betamax bootleg played on a big screen. the quality sucked due to the big screen so I went to the theater to see it, 42 years ago. I was in my 20's then, now I'm in my 60's. how can it be that long ago? talk about a cliff hanger series. I'll watch the new one when I can see it for nothing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Star Wars" movies were fun to watch....but this time line stuff that jumped all over the place throughout the years....really sucked.

Watch 5, before, 3, then watch 2, before you jump to 4, and not before you watch 1. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

And all these Trilogies now. "Rise of Skywalker"....while watching Skywalker in all the other 1,2,3,4jump to 6,and revert back to 2,3,4,and get back to 6,while watching3,then 2..and don't forget....4? Movies ! jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Star Wars was never meant to be "science fiction" . It was a western.  A group of friends or strangers thrown together to defeat the bad guys.  Instead of taking place in a beleaguered frontier town oppressed by the local cattle baron, it took place in a part of the universe beleaguered by the local "Empire".   The new technology that George Lucas admired was useless for making westerns, but it could create scenes never before seen on a movie screen when it was applied to "space" . 

The original three Star Wars movies are the best because they created a sense of wonderment in the audience that is all but gone now, and because of the camaraderie of the original characters.  The later Star Wars movies are just imitations. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
"The original three Star Wars movies are the best..."

If you mean episodes IV, V, and VI, the ones first produced and shown, I'm in total agreement with you as to which are the best of the bunch.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.2  Dig  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
It was a western.

People keep getting this wrong. Star Wars wasn't a western, it was a fairy tale.

A lowly boy from nowhere discovers he has magical powers and sets off on a quest with a good wizard and a couple of rogues to rescue a princess from the evil, dark lord. That's a classic fairy tale / fantasy plot, but with space ships for locomotion instead of horses, light sabers instead of magic swords, and a fortified space station instead of a great, ominous castle, garrisoned with soldiers wearing futuristic-looking polymer armor instead of medieval-looking plate and mail, who defend the 'castle' with blasters instead of crossbows.

'Long ago in a far away land' becomes 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...'

Star Wars was a fairy tale.

Star Trek, on the other hand, was the western. A clever and charismatic leader of a group of people exploring the frontier, encountering friendly as well as not-so-friendly natives along the way. Serialized moralistic storylines, the country doctor, etc. Roddenberry even characterized the show as 'Wagon Train to the stars'.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @6.2    5 years ago

Have you ever read the SF novels written by Edward E. ("Doc") Smith?  The Skylark and Lens series?  THOSE are "space cowboy" stories, never made into movies.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.2.2  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.1    5 years ago

No, sorry Buzz. I'm not familiar with any of that. A google search tells me that he's credited by many as the founder of the 'space opera' genre, though. Interesting. I'd never heard of him before.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @6.2.2    5 years ago

His novels were the first SF novels I ever read when I was about 12 although I used to read my older brother's SF pulp magazines when I was about 10 years old (short stories by Bradbury, Clark, Asimov, etc).  

Karri
Freshman Silent
6.2.4  Karri  replied to  Dig @6.2    5 years ago

Somewhere (a long time ago in galaxy far away) I read that CBS wanted Bonanza in space while Roddenberry wanted more morality plays.  They compromised and did half and half.  Star Trek: TNG was closer to the type of series Roddenberry wanted, according to that article.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

The posting of this article on the Front Page is an example of the reason why so many of the groups are completely useless.  However, the failure of the groups is caused not just by the posting of "group topic" articles here, but by the fact that even the members of so many groups don't even bother to look at the groups let alone post on them.  For example, this article could have been posted on the Science Fiction Fanatics group.  

I suppose this comment, although it is relevant here, will be deleted as being META.