╌>

Yes, Democrats Have Been Itching to Impeach From the Start

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  53 comments

Yes, Democrats Have Been Itching to Impeach From the Start
Trump is seen as less legitimate than past Republican presidents. And many leftists are cheering the prospect of his removal even though Vice President Mike Pence, who would replace him, is far more conservative. Why? What I'd suggest to future generations, which might not perceive it as readily with the passage of time, is the extreme moral depravity that millions of Americans see in the president. Deep in their bones, they feel that he is deplorable.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When historians ask themselves why Democrats impeached President Donald Trump, they can parse the two articles of impeachment for part of the story: "abuse of power" and "obstruction of justice." Yet Republicans insist that something deeper is going on. They insist that Democrats have wanted to oust Trump from the White House ever since he was elected.

They're not wrong. Trump is seen as less legitimate than past Republican presidents. And many leftists are cheering the prospect of his removal even though Vice President Mike Pence, who would replace him, is far more conservative.

Why? What I'd suggest to future generations, which might not perceive it as readily with the passage of time, is the extreme moral depravity that millions of Americans see in the president. Deep in their bones, they feel that he is deplorable.

It won't be difficult for future generations to find specific examples of his lust, greed, wrath, envy, pride, adultery, fraud, cruelty, vulgarity, bigotry, and bearing of false witness. Yet even a complete catalog of his sins would be incomplete, because Trump is distinguished not only by his misdeeds, but by the dearth of redeeming qualities to offset them.

Of course, his supporters earnestly like many of his policies, his judicial appointments, the performance of the economy during his tenure, his critique of Washington-establishment failings, and their feeling that he is on their side in a culture war against the left.

But they'd quickly suspect biting satire if a poker-faced stranger told them this: Trump is a truthful man and a principled leader the selfless sort of president who puts his country before himself and his family. He is sooner reflexively kind than needlessly cruel. Children ought to emulate his behavior and are fortunate to have him as a role model. In a different era, if an enemy were approaching the city gates, he'd be first among the volunteers to charge them, risking life and limb to protect the safety of innocents. He always pays back his debts and can be trusted with another man's wife or daughter.

Most typical Trump supporters would sooner laugh at that paragraph than defend its veracity. And in an indirect way, that is one of the reasons Trump was impeached yesterday. The perceived unfitness of his character and the risks it carries incline many to action.

Historians should credit GOP claims that the moral contempt Democrats have for Trump is deep and inextricable from impeachment. And I suspect they will find that contempt warranted, however they come to understand the merits of impeachment itself.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
Historians should credit GOP claims that the moral contempt Democrats have for Trump is deep and inextricable from impeachment. And I suspect they will find that contempt warranted

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

examples of his lust, greed, wrath, envy, pride, adultery, fraud, cruelty, vulgarity, bigotry, and bearing of false witness. Yet even a complete catalog of his sins would be incomplete, because Trump is distinguished not only by his misdeeds, but by the dearth of redeeming qualities to offset them.

Wow, what a laundry list of supposed sins of Trump. It's highly doubtful that one person could be that bad...except in the fevered minds of angry Democrats, who are simply using Trump to distract from their own sins of commission and omission. Those on the right can easily use such words to describe the Clintons, Pelosi, Schiff, Schumer and other high level deplorable Dems.

Many times true leaders, movers, and shakers, such as Trump is....are highly hated and demeaned by the ignorant fools who oppose them. The Democrats have sealed their doom with this fake show of impeachment rage and are going to pay the political price for their stupidity and lack of foresight.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

You probably dont follow the news as much as some other people do. Cest la vie. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago

And you reply with your usual dismissive and condescending snark, and dare to talk about lack of civility! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    5 years ago

Irony is truly lost on some.

But I admire you bringing it to his attention!

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    5 years ago

The liberal version of calling for civility is like them calling someone a racist. To them, both are meant to get someone to shut up.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"obstruction of justice."

ooooops !

I swear it said "Obstruction of Congress" !

Is "Congress" actually considered "The Just" anymore ?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Not this one. Not even close.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    5 years ago
Not this one. Not even close.

But Nancy, Adam and Chuck ARE "Righteous" and "Just" now. After all, they are  "Praying" and have "Feelings" for their cause. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Obstruction of justice sounds more like a real crime compared to what they voted on--obstruction of Congress.

Obstruction of Congress sounds more like Democrats whining that Trump didn't help them build their case. You know, the case Nancy said has been worked on for over 2 years.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3    5 years ago
Obstruction of justice sounds more like a real crime compared to what they voted on--obstruction of Congress.

The "Leftist Twist" ! jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago

Hating Trump is not a valid reason for impeachment; no matter how much the Dems plead their case. Hate the president or candidate, then don't vote for him.  We have regular elections. and term limits, for a reason.

With the precedent the Democrats have set the party that doesn't hold the presidency will have no thresholds to meet when it comes to impeachment.

"Obstruction of Congress"? What a load of crap. Using that threshold Republicans would have been able to impeach Barack Obama for using executive privilege to protect Eric Holder, and Holder's wife from testifying before Congress. After claiming he had no knowledge of Fast and Furious, and was never briefed by Holder on the program. Holder was held in contempt of Congress by the way. 

"Abuse of Power"? Gee, how many times did Mr "I have a cell phone and pen" abuse the power of the Presidency? DACA alone would have been enough to get him impeached. Obama stated countless times he did not have the power to us EO to shape immigration reform. Then went ahead and did it anyways. How about sending US troops into war in Libya, Syria, and back into Iraq w/o approval from Congress? Those are real abuses of power.

What I really love about the left and Democrats is that they never think things through. Think that the Republicans and their followers aren't taking notes of the Democratic House's biased, corrupt, impeachment investigation? The next Democratic president had better walk the straight and narrow; even that might not save them if the Republicans hold the House.  If the Republicans fail to act they will be removed and replaced with more radical ones that will.

If Biden wins the next election, and Republicans take the House, the left will have their most fervent desire- a President being impeached before they take office. Of course Biden bragged about his real crime; but he shouldn't expect a fair investigation in the House. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago
It won't be difficult for future generations to find specific examples of his lust, greed, wrath, envy, pride,adultery, fraud, cruelty, vulgarity, bigotry, and bearing of false witness. Yet even a complete catalog of his sins would be incomplete, because Trump is distinguished not only by his misdeeds, but by the dearth of redeeming qualities to offset them.

If Republicans had united to turn against Trump and replace him on the 2020 ticket, the need to impeach him wouldnt be as obvious, although it would still be as justified. 

He's not fit to hold the office of president of the United States, and never has been. Never will be.  Instead of dumping him along the roadside of history as so much garbage, the Republicans and his followers are offering him again to the country for possible four more years.  Trump supporters have enabled this craziness, along with those such as apathetic independents.  Opponents of Trump are not responsible, nor is Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

Hey, JR.

EVERYONE knows already how you feel about Trump and anyone who voted for him.

It isn't necessary to repeat it ad nauseum.

Impeachment isn't necessary--remember the election is less than a year away and you and others have assured us (yet once again!) that Trump has absolutely no chance at winning (again!)

BTFW, just because YOU feel that way about Trump doesn't mean we all do.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
He's not fit to hold the office of president of the United States,

On the contrary, he is way more qualified to be president than #44 was...why look at all the good things he had accomplished!

By the way, you never define what you mean by being "fit" to be president. He's not a perfect man and has a few character flaws,

but he is no worse than most Democrats...in my most humble opinion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.2    5 years ago

Sad to say, there are people who run social media sites who will take what you just said seriously. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
If Republicans had united to turn against Trump and replace him on the 2020 ticket, the need to impeach him wouldnt be as obvious, although it would still be as justified. 

Now, that sounds like someone who doesn't think the Democrats can beat Trump, so they want the GOP to run someone else.

LMAO!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    5 years ago
Cable TV was riveted to the House floor all day long, but  Trump  engineered some counterprogramming with his chaotic two-hour speech, one of the longest he's given since taking office. At one point, he made time to criticize the genteel way security guards had corralled a protester who had flashed her middle finger on her way out the door. Watching from the stage,  Trump seemed disappointed that they hadn't roughed her up more, mocking the guards for grabbing her wrist "lightly" and beseeching her to "please come."

"You gotta get a little bit stronger than that, folks," the president advised. (The admonition carries an eerie echo: Another president who faced  impeachment wasn't squeamish about manhandling protesters either. White House tapes show that in 1971, Richard Nixon privately endorsed an idea to use the Teamsters to beat up anti Vietnam War demonstrators massed in Washington. "They've got guys who'll go in and knock their heads off," Nixon was recorded as saying.)

As ever, a president bent on goosing his base blew past the boundaries of civility. He faulted Democratic Representative Debbie Dingell of Michigan for supporting impeachment even though she had called to thank him for the courtesies shown to her late husband, former Representative John Dingell, upon his death earlier this year at age 92.  Trump called the widow "a real beauty" and suggested that she should have repaid him for the "A-plus treatment" he extended to her husband by voting against impeachment. Then things turned darker. John Dingell, who was the longest-serving member of Congress in history and represented a district about an hour-and-a-half drive from Battle Creek, might be "looking up" from hell, Trump said. That proved too much even for a crowd of his ardent supporters. Groans wafted from the seats.

...Reelection is also a Trumpian preoccupation, and in attacking one of his rivals last night, he resurrected a drama from two years ago wait, no, it was only two weeks ago. He mentioned a leading Democratic presidential candidate, Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, and claimed that she isn't filling the seats at her events. His son Barron, he argued, could draw bigger crowds than Warren in New York's Central Park "and he's 13." Earlier this month, the first lady, Melania Trump, criticized a Stanford University professor, Pamela Karlan, who testified in the impeachment proceedings and invoked Barron's name. Though Karlan would later apologize, Donald Trump doesn't seem as concerned as his wife about shielding his son.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    5 years ago

All of which are not impeachable offenses.

But whine away!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.4    5 years ago
So I took a look at my brokerage account today and guess what?   

I know, right?  It's remarkable.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

Sorry, you don't get to dictate who is qualified or not outside of your 1 damn vote. That is it. Something the left has completely forgotten. 

Paybacks will be a major bitch for the Dems. Count on it.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.11    5 years ago
John Durham flipped the former head of the NSA.

if you talking about adm rogers?

he is the one who informed trump he was being spied on

"before the election"

so, "flipped is not the right word. 

adm rogers is "assisting durham

cheers :)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.4    5 years ago

Fox Business Network ran a graphic showing all the market indexes on November 8, 2016 compared to today. The numbers are incredible.  And just remember the impending recession democrats were celebrating just a few months ago.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.14  XXJefferson51  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.11    5 years ago

It didn’t take much to flip the former NSA head as he’s the one who initially informed our President as to what he was about to be up against before he resigned.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.15  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    5 years ago

oj4bVZjv_bigger.png

.@SteveHiltonx: They thought that a Trump presidency was unthinkable. When it happened, they were certain it would be unsuccessful. And when it did succeed, they found that absolutely unbearable. That is why Donald Trump is being impeached...#NextRevFNC #TruthAboutImpeachment

NppoUCH7l0JteUad?format=jpg&name=small

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
And many leftists are cheering the prospect of his removal 

never going to happen. are they that clueless much?

seriously, exactly how stupid does one have to be in order to believe trump will be removed from office?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4    5 years ago

whatever it is, it is not as stupid as those who believe he is fit to hold office. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    5 years ago
whatever it is, it is not as stupid as those who believe he is fit to hold office.

the left losing their minds only proves we elected the right guy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Right off the bat we are seeing all the right wingers missing the point of the seeded article. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago
Right off the bat we are seeing all the right wingers missing the point of the seeded article. 

What actually "IS" the point ?

Is it this:

"many leftists are cheering the prospect of his removal"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Your usual points.

"Trump bad! I hate Trump! Trump unfit! I hold the deplorables responsible for Trump!"

Wah, wah, wah!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Of course we get the point John, you are itching to get of Trump, but the Democrat "leaders" fucked up so badly, that they will never be able to "scratch" that itch!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @5.3    5 years ago

Now we will see 20 or 30 posts of meaningless pro-Trump cheerleading. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    5 years ago

As opposed to 20-30 posts of anti-Trump hysteria?

Good deal!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    5 years ago

What else do you expect, when you post drivel such as this?

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.3.5  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    5 years ago

And one big seed of yet more meaningless anti Trump whining.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.3.6  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    5 years ago
Now we will see 20 or 30 posts of meaningless pro-Trump cheerleading

ive told ya before john.

you can post a hundred I hate trump articles a day.

and it will not change a single vote.

but you are having fun right?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

I think you lost your seed.  President Trump did Make America Great Again and now by re electing him, we are going to Keep America Great! 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.4.1  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.4    5 years ago
President Trump did Make America Great Again

Yes, he make a merkin great again, he's wearing an orange one on his head.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Who in their right mind would teach children to emulate politicians?  The facts are that politicians emulate children.  Parents should be trying to prepare their children to become adults rather than to remain politicians.

As Democrats have demonstrated, history can easily be rewritten to fit a political meme.  We lose a bit of history every day by politicizing the past.  Academics are not arbiters of truth, they are gatekeepers for political memes.

Donald Trump is a larger than life political meme.  That's all.  Trump is showing the public what politics is really all about.  Trump is revealing the true nature of modern politicians; politicians are spoiled children.  Trump is confirming that history, truth, and justice have no place in modern American politics.

Donald Trump's crime is that he hasn't put lipstick on the political pig.  Politicians aren't behaving as they are because of Donald Trump.  We are only seeing politicians without their make up; this is how politicians have always been.  Democrats are whining that they have to play dirty because Trump is playing dirty.  Amazingly Democrats already knew the game; Democrats didn't have to learn how to play dirty.  Nancy Pelosi is Donald Trump with more political make up; that's all.

Trump isn't lying to the public; this is really how politicians do things.  Trump is real.  Barack Obama was exactly the same; Obama only put lipstick on the political pig.  Democrats are upset with Trump because Trump openly behaves the same way Democrats do in the back rooms of government.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @6    5 years ago
Trump isn't lying to the public

There is no way to realistically deal with such an overwhelming and profound denial of reality.