╌>

Muslims stood up repeatedly for Jews in 2019

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   MARC SCHNEIER

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Muslims are speaking out – and acting out – every day in defense of Jews who are under attack.

A CANDLELIGHT vigil in the aftermath of the attack on the Poway synagogue.   (photo credit: REUTERS)

The proliferation of antisemitic attacks this year in the United States and globally shook the global Jewish community to its core – the attack on the  Chabad of Poway Synagogue , a synagogue in Halle, Germany, the kosher supermarket in Jersey City, New Jersey, this month, and unfortunately, the list goes on and on. However, amid our grief, fear and anger at these escalating attacks, and at increased demonization of Israel from the likes of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, it is important for Jews to realize that we are not alone but have allies in the Muslim community.

There is a false narrative out there that Muslims are inveterately hostile to Jews. In fact, Muslims are speaking out – and acting out – every day in defense of Jews who are under attack. Consider the following inspiring examples of Muslims standing up for Jews during the past year:

• On Holocaust Remembrance Day in January,  Mohammad Al-Issa , secretary-general of the Muslim World League, backed by the government of Saudi Arabia and based in holy city of Mecca, wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post titled “Why Muslims From Around the World should Remember the Holocaust.” Taking vigorous issue with those in the Muslim world who have trafficked in Holocaust denial, Al-Issa wrote, “The lessons of Holocaust are universal and Muslims around the world have a responsibility to learn them, heed the warnings and join the international commitment to ensure ‘never again.’”

• In October, Al-Issa took another groundbreaking stand by issuing a strong condemnation of an antisemitic incident in Australia in which a Jewish boy was bullied into kissing the shoes of a Muslim boy. He shared, “This shameful behavior is contrary to the doctrine of Islam and they are barbaric acts.... Examples from the Holy Scriptures abound of the importance of respecting Jews. The Prophet, peace be upon him, stood solemnly at the funeral of a Jew.”

• In the wake of the Poway, Halle and Jersey City attacks on Jews, leaders of local and national Muslim organizations spoke out at news conferences condemning the attacks in uncategorical terms and offered emotional succor and financial support to families of the victims and to the Jewish community. Jim Sues, executive director of the New Jersey Chapter of the Council on American-Muslim Relations said, “We stand in solidarity with our Jewish sisters and brothers and ask people of all faiths and backgrounds to repudiate the hatred that apparently motivated this heinous attack.”

• Jews in Minnesota, and across America, were deeply hurt and alarmed by comments by Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minnesota), who suggested that US support for Israel is “all about the Benjamins,” and that Jewish supporters of Israel are more loyal to that state than to the US. While Omar’s ugly comments were deeply disturbing, it is important to note that many American Muslims denounced them.

In an interview with CNN, Omar Jamal and Mohammed Ahmed, hitherto strong supporters of Omar, denounced her remarks as overtly antisemitic. Jamal said, “You’re supposed to bring people together, you’re supposed to create a sense of unity instead of farther dividing them and pitting one group against the other.”

Ahmed commented, “We believe in Palestinian rights and freedoms, but we will not do it denigrating our Jewish community.”

• In November, public figures from 15 Arab countries met in London and denounced the BDS movement against Israel and called for direct person-to-person contacts between Israelis and citizens of their respective societies. This group, the Arab Council for Regional Integration, called for mending relations with Israel not only as path to peace, but a way to mend relations with Israel and also to heal some of the greatest internal problems in their own countries.

• It wasn’t only prominent Muslim clerics and political leaders who drew worldwide attention by defending beleaguered Jews. Last month, a Muslim woman named Asma Shuweikh noticed a man spouting antisemitic vitriol at a Jewish family on the London Underground. As seen in a video that went viral on YouTube, the deranged man is seen haranguing the Jewish children about “synagogues of Satan,” until Shuweikh steps in tells him to cut out his harassment. The man turns threateningly on her, but she stands her ground.

For my part, as someone who has been involved in Muslim-Jewish relations for more than 15 years and has come to know Muslims of all ranks of life, I am confident that there are many more Mohammed Al-Issas and Asma Shuweikhs out there who will not sit still or look away when Jews are being threatened or attacked. At a difficult moment in history that is some good news that we should never allow ourselves to forget.

The writer is president of the Foundation for Ethnic Understanding, the global address for Muslim-Jewish relations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It should also not go unnoticed that many donations were given by Muslims to the Pittsburgh Temple after the shooting that took place there.

It also works the other way around.  In the suburb just north of Toronto there is a Mosque right next door to a Synagogue, sharing  a parking lot, and they often alternated with interfaith services.and events.  When 9/11 happened, young men from the Synagogue immediatly contacted each other to bring baseball bats, crowbars and whatever could be used as weapons to the Mosque.  (Civilian gun ownership is rare in Canada.)  Did you think they came to do damage?  They formed a circle around the Mosque to protect it from any retaliatory attacks that could have taken place there, and left only when the police arrived to take over. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Good and important seed.

When mutual respect, fellowship and caring occurs, trees of virtue can and do grow to the skies.

Well done by them for so doing, and for you in sharing.

Protecting what is Sacred to others, and those who live by it does not go unnoticed.

As well, those who go out of their way to disrespect what others live by in order to push what is their agenda upon also has its consequences.

Here is to the former.

Regarding the latter, the eternal component I leave to G-d.

The temporal part I am here for those who need a hand up.

Additionally a palm for those who require a Potch ahn Pawmnim.

P&AB.

Enoch.   

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Always good to hear this side of things. The sad thing is that the progressive leftist liberal run mainstream media outlets, especially in the U.S., gives very little if any coverage when good things like this happen. Things like this need to be front page news in my opinion.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    5 years ago
Always good to hear this side of things.  Things like this need to be front page news in my opinion.

There, fixed it for you.

Happy Holy Days to all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    5 years ago
There, fixed it for you.

Why'd you mess with something that was correct to begin with?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

The article is about religious polar opposites standing up for one another.

Throwing out a cheap partisan off topic shot on Christmas Eve seems to be the antithesis of what the seed represents.

Peace on earth and all that...

Happy Holy Days.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.2    5 years ago

I merely stated a personal opinion that I felt went with the article. I did not mention you or anybody else on NT, yet you felt the need to verbally attack my comment as cheap. I am sorry you disagreed with what I said, but this is still a open forum and I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. I will leave it up to Perrie to decide what the cheap shot was and who made it. A Happy Holidays to you and yours.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.3    5 years ago

I just woke up and saw your present comment, so I don't know what you originally wrote on my seed.  I agree that it was wrong for SP to have changed it if it was not a violation.  It would have been my prerogative to declare it off topic if it was. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    5 years ago

As the old proverb goes, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.".

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.5    5 years ago

SP did not edit Ed's comment.  Ed interjected a shot at liberals into what had been a nonpolitical and heartening discussion, started by your heartening seed.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.7    5 years ago

I beg your pardon, but SP did in fact edit my comment. Read SP's comment!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.7    5 years ago

BTW, my comment was directed at the liberal media and not liberals in general. Take umbrage if you must, but at least be honest about it and do so for the right reason. I am done here. My apologies to Buzz if I offended as such was not my intention Goodnight all.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.8    5 years ago

So your comment, in its own box, was changed?

No.  The original stands.  And it was still a political jab that has nothing to do with the topic of the seeded article.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

It’s a common trait [deleted] across all news talk Internet forums I’ve been on since 1997 to take a direct quote of a conservative and out right lie by making their quote say something else.  There is nothing legitimate or honorable about the practice and it should be banned as a practice especially since the originals quote markings are still up even though their words were grossly and deliberately with malice of intent distorted. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Good question!  👍👏

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Because it was correct to begin with. Correct and progressive are oxymorons that can’t co exist.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    5 years ago

Great post as originally written.  Not so much the bastardized mockery of it.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Wonderful to read such a positive story at this time of the year. Thanks for bringing to our attention Buzz!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago

The only sad thing is that it was published on the Jerusalem Post rather than on an American medium, notwithstanding that the story had an American venue. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Thank you for posting this very important and valuable article in human respect and kindness regardless of the difference in religious beliefs. Or better yet, because of it.

It shows that the two beliefs can both live in respect, humanity, and Harmony. All a necessary part of the survival of mankind.

For those who only wish to denigrate and demean the two faiths, and try to exterminate them in the name of their own religious beliefs, and/or ethnic prejudice, they will reap what they sow. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I would prefer if everyone were to lay off the interpersonal criticisms from now on, or I will just lock this seed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

Speaking as a member, again, in black "ink",

be my guest.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @7.1    5 years ago

No need.  My threat did the trick.