╌>

As protests rage, more Democrats want Biden to pick woman of color as VP

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  4 years ago  •  153 comments

By:   By Christopher Cadelago and Maya King 8 hrs ago

As protests rage, more Democrats want Biden to pick woman of color as VP
46 percent of Democrats saying it's important that Biden pick a vice presidential candidate of color

Can Democrats "Pander" to a certain GROUP of people, anymore than this ?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As protests over racism and police brutality roil the country, Democrats are putting more importance in Joe Biden choosing a woman of color as his running mate — with the number now approaching a majority, according to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday.

With the focus turning to police reform, Demings, a former metropolitan police chief, and Harris, a former district attorney and state attorney general, have leaned on their personal experiences despite the potential for backlash. Both argue that their careers, which became a burden for Harris in the primary, are an asset in their efforts to overhaul law enforcement.

“Their experiences and their qualifications each connect to a piece of the work that we need to do,” Glynda Carr, president and chief executive of Higher Heights, said in assessing Demings and Harris in the moment.

"The two contenders that actually have law enforcement and prosecutor backgrounds have a piece of experience that uniquely provides perspective and potentially a vision around reimagining how we create an America where black lives matter."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    4 years ago

We already know Harris had a mess as a "Black" attorney General, but did you know that Demmings, as Police Chief of Orange County Florida, had a mess too ?

The growing focus on police misconduct highlights less agreeable aspects of Demings’s time helming the Orlando Police Department from 2007 to 2011.

The department has a long record of excessive-force allegations, and a lack of transparency on the subject, dating back at least as far as Demings’s time as chief. From 2010 to 2014, the department paid out more than $3.3 million in damages following at least 47 lawsuits alleging false arrest, excessive force, and other complaints against the department’s officers, according to WFTV. (Records about these cases and other allegations of police misconduct in Orlando are not centrally housed or publicized, and some lawsuits are still outstanding.)

“This has been a problem for a while, through her administration and others. The problem is the leadership of the department,” said Lawanna Gelzer, president of the National Action Network’s Central Florida chapter. “… She’s not going to get my vote.”
Demings declined to comment on her record as police chief. Her campaign referred questions to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which also did not comment.
Demings has not spoken out about criminal justice since she announced her 2016 congressional run.

But they're both "Black", so ……. what the heck …… who really cares about the past anyway !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  seeder  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Democrats are putting more importance in Joe Biden choosing a woman of color as his running mate"

See I told ya ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

[ Deleted ]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    4 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    4 years ago

[Deleted.  The comment you keep reposting was not the comment that was originally deleted.  That comment was a sweeping generalization, and a pretty nasty one.]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.2    4 years ago
That comment was a sweeping generalization, and a pretty nasty one.]

Democrats don't want Joe to be a "Slave" to their whims ?

Slave: NOUN
1. a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

That word isn't locked in to just someones "Color" !

Democrats in Congress will OWN Joe if he becomes President.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    4 years ago

You are correct and right to be persistent in making your fine point.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

I say it's Stacey Abrams.  

Notice how she has been uncharacteristically quiet through most of this protesting and rioting ....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago
Notice how she has been uncharacteristically quiet through most of this protesting and rioting ....

Can't upset the apple cart.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    4 years ago

She's on Biden campaign lock down like shotgun Joe

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    4 years ago
She's on Biden campaign lock down like shotgun Joe

No one is really running against Joe, but he's "Almost" got the nomination locked up.

Almost. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I would choose the mayor that told Trump "FU!"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

The one with Record Deaths the last few days, of folks she's supposedly "Protecting" ?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

The one that looks like Buckwheat's sister?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  MonsterMash @4.2    4 years ago

I think we've decided she looks closer to Beetlejuice

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MonsterMash @4.2    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

LE there is stretched so thin right now that I am surprised that there weren't even more.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6  MonsterMash    4 years ago

A black woman as Joe's running mate. Will Rachel Dolezal do?jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Ff%2Ff2%2FRachel_Dolezal_at_Spokane_Rally_cropped_2.jpg%2F246px-Rachel_Dolezal_at_Spokane_Rally_cropped_2.jpg&sp=1591814402T57864d68f7e1ab0e551dfc901eb78f8de63587dee9332a7393a7aa717ba0cf42

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Dems as usual are pandering for votes instead of looking for the most qualified whatever their ethnicity or gender may be.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    4 years ago

#OuterAppearanceMatters.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  It Is ME @8.1    4 years ago

Yep!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    4 years ago
0d757ecf-215f-45b4-8cac-1c9fe338c1c1.png

Source: AP Photo/File

There’s no way Joe Biden could outdo himself with black voters after he told those who don’t support him aren’t really black, right? 

“Hold my beer,” except Joe Biden said this to himself. He’s so gone he’s talking to himself and landing in more hot water. Yes, it seems like he outdid himself regarding these rather tone-deaf remarks about Martin Luther King, Jr. Apparently, the death of George Floyd has created more of a worldwide impact than the assassination of the revered civil rights leader back in 1968. Is this a serious statement? Joe made it but talk about being historically illiterate. There is simply no comparison here. None. Was Floyd a Nobel Peace Prize winner who fought for the end of Jim Crow laws in the South? I mean this is Twilight Zone stuff here (via Fox News):

Joe Biden on Thursday compared the death of George Floyd to the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968, saying Floyd’s death had a bigger global "impact" than King’s.

At an economic reopening roundtable in Philadelphia, the former vice president spoke of how the advent of smartphones had precipitated global participation in the movement against police brutality and racial injustice.

“Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said.

“It’s just like television changed the Civil Rights movement for the better when they saw Bull Connor and his dogs ripping the clothes off of elderly black women going to church and firehoses ripping the skin off of young kids,” he continued.

“What happened to George Floyd — now you got how many people around the country, millions of cell phones. It’s changed the way everybody’s looking at this,” he continued. “Look at the millions of people marching around the

Dear Lord, if that’s the case, Joey, then King being killed in the era of social media would have had a greater impact on the sociopolitical landscape. Times were different. You just can’t retroactively declare something where there’s no historical basis. It doesn’t mean that Floyd’s death is any less tragic or sad than Dr. King’s, but to declare that Floyd was in the same league as King is just grossly absurd. 

We get that everyone is seeing your dementia-ridden mind as being a huge 2020 liability; pandering to black voters isn’t going to pivot you away from that. Democrats should just stop with these historical exercises. In this case, this is a rather offensive one.   https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2020/06/11/joe-biden-on-george-floyd--you-know-not-even-mlk-jr-got-this-much-attention-when-he-got-killed-n2570522

Thomas
Senior Guide
8.2.1  Thomas  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    4 years ago
Reacting to the worldwide protest movement sparked by the death of  George Floyd , the son of  Martin Luther King Jr  said that the breadth of the protests and the massive presence of white protesters made it a much larger movement than the one that followed the assassination of his father in 1968. "I've never seen anything quite like this in my life," Martin Luther King III told FRANCE 24. King said that if his father were alive, he would be angered that racial inequalities are still ingrained but at the same time would embrace the protest movement.

link

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    4 years ago

After he picks her, they can both dress up in African clothes and we can all celebrate their wokeness.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @9    4 years ago

WTF is wokeness?

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1    4 years ago

Downing a pot of strong coffee ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1    4 years ago
WTF is wokeness?

How aware and concerned a person is for perceived social injustices. It's very important for social and political cachet to be publicly seen as being "woke." Thus, we had the stunt the other day with members of Congress kneeling in their African scarves.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.2    4 years ago

Ahhh, ty.  I thought maybe it was a covfefe moment.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

giving a person a job based on color is racist.

so, yepp, not surprised one bit.

• if you don't vote for me? your not black
  • if you don't VP for me?  your not black

the shoe fits.... will he wear it?.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11  Ronin2    4 years ago

Anyone that is affect my this moronic decision to literally give the protesters a section of Seattle they live or work in, should sue the protest organizers; any protesters that hinder their movement or extort money from them; the mayor; the city; the governor; and the state. WTF are they paying taxes for? 

Democrats have lost their damn collective minds! You don't turn the keys of asylum over to the inmates!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12  Texan1211    4 years ago

Is there ANYONE in their right mind who actually thinks it is "important" for Biden to pick a black female running mate, and WHY????

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @12    4 years ago

He opened his mouth and inserted both feet.    He’s stuck with it now.    He doesn’t pick a black female running mate and there will be riots within the riots in all the hoods.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Thankfully Biden has indicated that he intends to pick the person who can most competently carry out the duties and requirements of POTUS rather than just a "symbol".  In his case, at his vulnerable age, it is the only sensible thing to do.  IMO those who put "symbol" ahead of competence are fools.  I hope he doesn't bow to a lesser choice because of pressure brought upon him.  It could be his first test of his suitableness for the job.  If he loses votes because he makes an intelligent decision rather than bowing to pressure, and loses to Trump because of it, then those who pressured him will deserve what they have wrought. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    4 years ago

Biden is our Manchurian candidate.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.1    4 years ago

More conspiracy theories. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.1    4 years ago

So Perrie, sincere question.    

Are you not concerned about Biden’s mental state?    I’m seeing some of the same type communications from him that I get from my father who has a bad case of dementia

Seriously

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @13.1.2    4 years ago

Sparty,

Not at all. He's a life long stutter and that only gets worse with age. They have to regain their "rhythm" so to speak. 

Btw, to Trump when he was younger and listen to him now. He had a larger vocabulary and better flow. As we age, all of this happens to all of us. 

Dementia has a load of other stuff that goes along with it, like not knowing where you are, the day of the week, people they know. Neither of these guys shows that. Remember, it's not forgetting where you left your keys, it's forgetting what keys are used for. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @13.1.2    4 years ago
Are you not concerned about Biden’s mental state?

You have it backwards. Trump is the one with a mental state. He is a malignant narcissist , which is a severe personality disorder. He is a serial liar. 

On what planet is Biden more disturbed or mentally afflicted than Trump? 

Trump supporters live in a cocoon of misinformation. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.4    4 years ago

These are the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder. They virtually describe Donald Trump to a tee. 

Common symptoms of NPD include:

• grandiose fantasies and behavior, such as a preoccupation with thoughts of personal success, power, and attractiveness or sex appeal
  • little or no empathy for other people’s emotions or feelings
  • a significant need for attention, admiration, and recognition
  • an inflated sense of self-importance, such as a tendency to exaggerate personal talent or achievements
  • a belief in personal specialness and superiority
  • a sense of entitlement
  • a tendency to take advantage of others or exploit people for personal gain
  • arrogant or conceited behavior and attitudes
  • a tendency to envy others and believe others envy them

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @13.1.6    4 years ago
We’re not even sure if he knows he’s running for president or knows who he is at times. Undoubtedly  the guy has some kind of mental problem and I don’t even know why people wanna bother to deny it at this point it’s  so freaking obvious.

There are people with mental problems running around but Biden isnt one of them. Check the ones with the MAGA hats. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @13.1.6    4 years ago

That is your opinion, and given that you are not a neurologist, or have any skills in identifying learning disabilities, I'm not persuaded by your usual annoying comment that has no real content. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.3    4 years ago

Not from what I’m seeing and I don’t need a lecture about dementia.     I’m dealing with it daily, for the second time now.

So I disagree and bet you will soon as well.    You’ll have no choice the way Biden going.

It’s only a matter of time.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.4    4 years ago

opinions do vary .....

bugsy
Professor Participates
13.1.11  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.8    4 years ago
That is your opinion, and given that you are not a neurologist,

Funny how when some of the online psychiatrists and psychologists here and within the media say that Trump has lost his mind, not a peep from you questioning their "qualifications".

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.1.12  Greg Jones  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.8    4 years ago
That is your opinion, and given that you are not a neurologist, or have any skills in identifying learning disabilities, I'm not persuaded by your usual annoying comment that has no real content. 

Neither is JR. The second part of the sentence is correct.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1.12    4 years ago

Trump has EVERY ONE of the 8 symptoms of malignant narcissism that I posted. Perfect score !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Suz @13.1.14    4 years ago

I asked before, but got no response.

Why is it important that Biden pick a woman of color as a running mate?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
13.1.16  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.4    4 years ago

Nice deflection there JR. The topic is Biden not Trump. But hey, why pass up a good opportunity to dump on your president....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @13.1.11    4 years ago

Because we were not talking about Trump, were we? And I would tell them the same thing. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.13    4 years ago

John,

Again, you are not a psychologist or a psychiatrist. You have zero qualifications to make that call. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.5    4 years ago

When you get your degree in the field then you can make that DX. Until then you are playing online shrink.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.20  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @13.1.9    4 years ago

Then you should join the ranks of John. Neither of you have the qualifications to make these DX's. They are complicated and take personal sessions to determine, and not Web MD or some personal experience. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.19    4 years ago

If many psychiatrists say he is a narcissist, and they have, I will go with them over you. But thanks anyway. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.20    4 years ago
Late last year, Dr. Lance Dodes – a retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, a training and supervising analyst emeritus at the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, and one of 27 mental health professionals who penned an open letter to the New York Times warning of the newly elected president’s mental health status – doubled down on his concern regarding Trump’s unfitness for office.

In an  interview with Salon , Dodes detailed the behavioral signs he believes would lead any competent psychiatrist or psychologist to a diagnosis of malignant narcissism for the President of the United States.

Donald Trump is, according to Dodes, a “very sick individual”.
The best diagnosis for Trump is that he is a malignant narcissist. It contains the narcissistic part, which is no big deal alone -- lots of people are narcissistic -- but the malignant part is the sociopathy dimension. These terms suggest that Trump is a very primitive man. He is also a man who has a fundamental, deep psychological defect. It is expressed in his inability to empathize with others and his lack of genuine loyalty to anyone. You will notice that Trump wants everyone to be loyal to him, but he is loyal to nobody.
Dodes also said Trump’s sense of reality is “fluid” – bordering on delusional at times. Why? Because the president can only be okay with himself when “reality” portrays him as the winner and the best.
When he says, “I had the largest crowd at an inauguration in history,” it does not matter that you can tell him that it is not true, he still insists on it. Well, that is very troublesome because what it means is that he needs to believe it. He is able to give up reality in exchange for his wished-for belief. Sometimes we call that a delusion. We have not used that word much with Donald Trump because that does get confused with people who think that they are Napoleon. But Trump has a fluid sense of reality, which is a sign of a very sick individual.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.20    4 years ago

One doesn’t need a medical degree to see he is struggling.   Have never seen a candidate being “handled” like this five months before a presidential election.

That said if everyone here needed to have a degree related to the topic being discussed, to be “qualified” to respond, you’d have a helluva lot less posts that’s for sure. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
13.1.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @13.1.23    4 years ago

Personally, I bet the good doctor is a lifelong leftist liberal Democrat who hated Trump to begin with starting from the day he won the election fair and square. It would make sense.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.4    4 years ago

EafoFX0U0AAiR6A?format=jpg&name=small

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1.26  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @13.1.24    4 years ago

You mean a "retired" associate clinical professor of head shrinking at Harvard Medical School might be biased?

Say it ain't so Joe!

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
13.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    4 years ago

I respectfully disagree. I see Biden as pandering for the black vote he so desperately needs, rather than choosing the most qualified individual regardless of gender or ethnicity. If said individual is a female African-American fine, but choose them because they are the most qualified, not simply because of their gender and skin color.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @13.2    4 years ago

I wasn't aware he had already made the choice.  Perhaps he has only stated what his options could be.  I guess that's worth being damned. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @13.2    4 years ago

Stacey Abrams all day long.    That’s my prediction.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @13.2.2    4 years ago

My hunch is Susan Rice, whose name has suddenly surfaced.  She is probably the most ready to step in if something happened to Biden. 

Elizabeth Warren has the most ability to bring in people left of center who are hesitant about Biden, and wouldnt rule her out.  She would also love to go at it with Trump. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.3    4 years ago

Should be interesting to watch regardless 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.2.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.2.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14  1stwarrior    4 years ago

No one has answered the question of "What is a woman of color"?  Yellow - Red - Black - Brown - White?

Better yet, no one has answered the question of "Why choose a woman of color"???  What specific qualifications do they have to have to be selected as the Presidential VP's candidate - other than being a "woman of color"?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @14    4 years ago

That's what I was trying to state above, but you did it much more eloquently than I did.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.3  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @14    4 years ago

Come on 1st, you know what a woman of color is. Red, Black, Yellow, Brown...White is not generally considered a woman of color. 

They are a number of women of color that he could choose for the VP position. It's quite easy to research their background and qualifications. There are also a few women that are not of color that could be the choice. Match up their qualifications against woman of color.

I'm not sure what the qualifications for VP position are. Or for that matter what the qualifications for president are.

Is there a list somewhere that could serve as a template?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @14.3    4 years ago

"White is generally not considered as a woman of color" - immediately eliminates Warren, doesn't it - but she is still high on the list of selectee's.

"There are also a few women that are not of color that could be the choice. Match up their qualifications against woman of color."

Hence the question - The Dems, I believe, are pushing for a candidate for VP to be a female of Color.  Why?  What specific qualifications would a woman of color have that other females would't have?

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.3.2  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.1    4 years ago
White is generally not considered as a woman of color" - immediately eliminates Warren, doesn't it - but she is still high on the list of selectee's.

So is Amy K. so what is your point?

Hence the question - The Dems, I believe, are pushing for a candidate for VP to be a female of Color.  Why?  What specific qualifications would a woman of color have that other females would't have?

Until you research their qualifications you'll never know, will you? What qualifications would a white woman have to make her a VP pick?

I said that I didn't know what qualifications are needed for the VP position or for that matter for the President position.

I asked if there was a template.

When you answer those questions then at least if you might know what qualifications are needed for the position. 

BTW, what if he picked an American Indian women, they are women of color. How about that or Harris black and east Asian. That could be the trifecta.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.3.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.1    4 years ago

I'll answer with a question.  Do you believe that Native Americans should have representation in the US government?  I mean representatives who actually are Native Americans.  If so, why?  Do you think a white person of entirely European ancestry wouldn't represent you and advocate for you just as well?

If not, then there's your answer.  Representation.

I don't necessarily think Biden should choose a running mate based on race or sex, but I can see how some groups would want representation.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.3.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @14.3.2    4 years ago

What qualifies someone to be VP of the United States?

To serve as Vice President, you only need to meet the same eligibility requirements to serve as President:

• Be 35 years of age or older
  • Be a resident within the United States for 14 or more years (consecutive or non-consecutive)
  • Be a natural-born citizen of the United States

Other than that there are no other requirements to be Vice President.

My concern and that of others is that this election from the Dem side (?) is throwing race into the equation and pretty much eliminating qualifications.  Why is race the issue/concern?

I concur with Perrie - if the person is qualified by whatever standards are acceptable to all, then that person should be added to the Presidential ticket.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.3.5  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.3.3    4 years ago

One reason is that, originally from the Continental Congress, Native Americans "were" going to be allowed to be representatives.  In fact, there are a few treaties that specifically state that the Tribes/Nations "can be" representatives in Congress "without voting  powers".  The Cherokee recently sent their representative to Congress.

Do I think a white person of entirely Euro ancestry would represent me???  Maybe, but not very well as has been shown by past Presidents/Vice-Presidents, including the sitting ones.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.3.6  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.4    4 years ago
My concern and that of others is that this election from the Dem side (?) is throwing race into the equation and pretty much eliminating qualifications.  Why is race the issue/concern?

Where does such nonsense come from?

By the way, saying that someone only got the job because of the color of their skin can be seen as a form of racism itself.  No one is going to be nominated for vice - president of the United States that does not have qualifications that go beyond their skin color. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.3.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.5    4 years ago
Do I think a white person of entirely Euro ancestry would represent me???  Maybe, but not very well as has been shown by past Presidents/Vice-Presidents, including the sitting ones.

And there you have your answer.  Many black people and women feel that one of their own will represent them better than a white  man.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.3.8  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.4    4 years ago
Other than that there are no other requirements to be Vice President.

Your question is answered, they all have the qualifications to be VP

I find that question simply mind boggling, 1st. Don't you think that VP candidates have been chosen because they can bring it a certain demographic? Why in the hell do you think Pence was chosen?

For Christ's sake, minorities have been underrepresented in the US for centuries. I see no problem with choosing a minority to be a VP running mate, in fact, I applaud it and I'm hopeful that before I kick the bucket or my kids do that we see a NATIVE as president or VP. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
14.3.9  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @14.3.6    4 years ago
No one is going to be nominated for vice - president of the United States that does not have qualifications that go beyond their skin color. 

Bullshit! We got a president who was elected solely because he was a well spoken black dude. He had no qualifications, experience, skills, or expertise in any type of foreign or domestic policy.

He turned out to be a total disaster as a president and leader for all the people.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.3.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @14.3.9    4 years ago

Yea, and look how he was EXTREMELY WELL RESPECTED AROUND THHE WORLD, by the ENTIRE WORLD, As Don the Con has made US the laughing stock. Obama had intelligence and studied all the intel, Trump has arrogant ignorance, and draws pictures like flies.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
14.3.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  1stwarrior @14.3.4    4 years ago

actually 1st , there is one more requirement for VP, they can not be from the same state as the presidential candidate , ie cheney using Wyoming as his state of residence though he did most of his business dealings in texas , home state of bush.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.3.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  igknorantzrulz @14.3.10    4 years ago

Nooottt! Other countries were laughing their asses off at what Obama letting them get away with, especially Russia, China, North Korea, and the Middle East!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.3.13  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @14.3.12    4 years ago

Yep and you missed Iran, who is still laughing their way to the bank and the bomb from Obama admin. policy.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.3.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @14.3.13    4 years ago

Vert true, thank you. I loved Obama's red lines in the sand. They may as well as have been painted with red water colors in a surf line!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.3.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @14.3.8    4 years ago

we see a NATIVE as president or VP.

Charles Curtis (On his mother's side, Curtis was a descendant of chief White Plume of the Kaw Nation and chief Pawhuska of the Osage) ran for vice president with Herbert Hoover as President in 1928. They won a landslide victory.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.3.17  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14.3.16    4 years ago

One that I know of has already run for president.    

Tulsi Gabbert.    

Democrats didn’t want her.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @14    4 years ago

With the present xenophobia in the USA, especially caused by Trump himself, it's not likely to be a "yellow" person. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.4    4 years ago

The US congress and government is as diverse as it's ever been.  

China on the other hand can not say the same thing.   Not even close actually.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @14.4.1    4 years ago

You're right with that.  In China there are no non-racial Chinese citizens, and for sure only racial Chinese serve in government positions, from municipal to national.  China is an ancient uni-racial civilization, not one made up of immigrants like the USA.  It would be nice to see more indigenous people serving in American governmental positions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.4.3  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.4.2    4 years ago

They are free to do so if they so choose.

And like i said, most minorities are already rather well represented right now in our our government.   In numbers relatively close to the percentage of the US population they represent.

It's no where near as bad as some in the media and elsewhere try to make it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Since I am not a democrat, I can only offer an opinion. I think the most qualified person should be picked as Veep. I am not hung up on sex or color, just can they do the job. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15    4 years ago

"just doing the job"  is not the make or break qualification it used to be. Not since 2016. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1    4 years ago

I disagree. The job is all important. Everything else is secondary.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.1    4 years ago

Well I agree, but we have someone in the office of president now who can't do the job, but millions of Americans want him to run for re-election. Just doing the job is no longer an iron clad requirement. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.1    4 years ago

My understanding is that the women of color being considered for VP are Sen.  Kamala Harris , Sen. Tammy Duckworth, and Congresswoman Val Demmings. Also Georgia politician Stacy Abrams.  Any of them would be a vast improvement over Mike Pence, the groveler. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
15.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.1    4 years ago

I agree completely, but some are still dead set on the idea that it just has to be a woman of color, whatever ones definition of that may be. Qualification for the job is most important, not gender or ethnicity. If the best qualified person is a woman of color so be it, but don't make that the number one deciding factor just to pander for votes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1.2    4 years ago

John,

To me it is, and just because we lowered the standard once, shouldn't mean that is the status quo. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @15.1.4    4 years ago

"If the best qualified person is a woman of color so be it, but don't make that the number one deciding factor just to pander for votes."

Ed, you've hit the head of the nail square.  

Per the Constitution, you CAN NOT discriminate based on race nor sex.  PUSHING for a "woman of color" does both.  The best qualified person should be selected - period.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
15.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1.2    4 years ago

He's doing the job just fine, just not the way you want.

Over 60 million people were not wrong in electing him.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
15.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Greg Jones @15.1.7    4 years ago

sure they were

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.1.9  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @15.1.8    4 years ago
sure they were

Did you lose a bunch ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1.2    4 years ago
Well I agree, but we have someone in the office of president now who can't do the job, but millions of Americans want him to run for re-election. Just doing the job is no longer an iron clad requirement. 

Everyone knows what you think of Trump.

What does Trump have to do with Biden's pick for VP?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.1    4 years ago
I disagree. The job is all important. Everything else is secondary.

Spot on .... if only it worked that way for all our elected officials

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15    4 years ago

Since all of the women mentioned have the required qualifications it seems that they indeed are qualified. And just what makes them more or less qualified for the position? Those invisible qualifications are simply in the eye of the beholder. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2    4 years ago
And just what makes them more or less qualified for the position?

But.... "Qualification" isn't the Flavor of the day for "Liberal Types". It's all about "Race" and "Gender", so it seems.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @15.2    4 years ago

Indeed. It doesn't matter to some. So what if people want a person of colour. What is the big deal? Why are some acting like it is wrong to want something.

All the sudden it is about 'qualification' when that didn't mean a damn thing to them when they elected the idiot in office now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.3  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @15.2.1    4 years ago
But.... "Qualification" isn't the Flavor of the day for "Liberal Types". It's all about "Race" and "Gender", so it seems.

What qualifications are you talking about. They all qualified per our laws.

So, BFD if you don't like it don't vote for them, simple as that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.4  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2.3    4 years ago
They all qualified per our laws.

But that's not ….. "The Chant" !

The "Chant" is all about "Race" and "Gender".

"Democrats are putting more importance in Joe Biden choosing a woman of color as his running mate" !

Would you like to see a WOMEN of COLOR as VP ?

If so....why ?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
15.2.5  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @15.2    4 years ago

I'm interested in examining the biological differences between the sexes their brain and how it affects what jobs they are better qualified to do. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.6  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @15.2.4    4 years ago

"Democrats are putting more importance in Joe Biden choosing a woman of color as his running mate"

So, BFD as I said before don't like it don't vote for them.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.7  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2.6    4 years ago
So, BFD as I said before don't like it don't vote for them.

Vive la "Color" and "Gender"...…. is all you need to vote for someone ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.2.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @15.2.5    4 years ago

That article does not discuss quality. 

The female brain can handle more incoming information and can multi task. The male brain is more partitioned which allows them to focus more. This evolved due to what we were doing when we were living in primitive times. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.2.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.2.8    4 years ago
The female brain can handle more incoming information and can multi task.

That seems hard to believe when sitting behind a female driver going through a toll booth.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.10  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @15.2.5    4 years ago

I've seen that study before. It is what each gender has evolved to based on the time frame of tens of thousands of years ago. 

I don't see any quality in it.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.11  Ender  replied to  Kavika @15.2.6    4 years ago

No kidding. Amazing how some get so triggered at the thought of it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.12  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @15.2.4    4 years ago
If so....why ?

That's a fairly ignorant question but not unexpected. Because they are qualified and represent a very large portion of our society that has been excluded and underserved for centuries.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.13  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2.12    4 years ago
represent a very large portion of our society that has been excluded and underserved for centuries.

So you're just looking for a "FLAG" to raise, since "Qualification" requirements are so Minimal ?

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.14  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @15.2.13    4 years ago

I love it when you play the sea lion...You should be looking for a fish or pool anytime soon. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.15  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2.14    4 years ago
I love it when you play the sea lion.

ooooohhhh !

Use a Cliché word (Sea lion), 'cause you really can't answer the question.

Got it !

Good Job ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.16  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @15.2.15    4 years ago
Got it !

Naw, you haven't gotten at all, but you keep on trying.

LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.2.17  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @15.2.16    4 years ago
LOL

That's your BEST ?

" Naw, you haven't gotten at all"

Ya gotta do better than just raising a "Color/Gender Flag",  to "Enlighten" me on why "Color" and "Gender" are sooooo important for VP to Democrats !

Maybe They can ask Joe that question, and I'll get a better answer ? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Do "Rainbow Colors" make you want to vote for someone ?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
17  Nerm_L    4 years ago

You know, if the black population formed their own political party it wouldn't be necessary to demand that either the Democratic or Republican Parties pander to their expectations.

Democrats had an opportunity to nominate a black woman.  Instead, Democrats chose the old white guy with name recognition.  The Democratic primary process did not fulfill expectations.  The expectations didn't change.  The demands to select a black woman as Vice President will only prompt the Democratic Party to pander to those expectations.  The whole process is to consolidate political power for the Democratic Party.  But the results of the primaries should show that consolidated power isn't fulfilling expectations.

The Democratic Party is using race as a bargaining chip to consolidate and obtain political power that is still being controlled by an old, white vanguard.  Black representation is only one caucus, one faction within the Democratic Party.  The black population will always be a minority group with diluted political power within either the Democratic or Republican Parties.

If the black population want their expectations to be fulfilled then the black population needs to assert their political power on their own behalf.  Black people have held elected (and appointed) positions at all levels of government.  The black population has demonstrated they are capable of governing on equal terms.  The black population can speak for themselves, can represent themselves, and can assert their own political power on equal terms.  The black population no longer needs either the Democratic or Republican Parties to speak for them.

Tripartisan government would actually represent minority expectations better than bipartisan government.  Under bipartisan government minority expectations have only served as bargaining chips in a political competition between the Democratic and Republican Parties.  And that bipartisan government has not proven effective in fulfilling minority expectations.  Now is the time for the black population to change that political dynamic and form their own party that prioritizes fulfilling their expectations.

Political rallies and asserting political power in government would be more effective than the repeating cycle of demonstrations and demands that those holding power pander to minority expectations.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
17.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Nerm_L @17    4 years ago
You know, if the black population formed their own political party it wouldn't be necessary to demand that either the Democratic or Republican Parties pander to their expectations.

But ….we have "The Black Caucus" in congress already.

What Happened ?

evilone
Professor Guide
18  evilone    4 years ago

Is this pandering? Yes, but no more so than Pence was picked to pander to White Evangelicals, or Palin to the ultra conservatives. Consider that 84% of African Americans self identify as Democrats it's a no brainer in this current political climate they would like to see representation at the highest levels of government. Also consider that Biden wasn't picked because he was universally loved, but because a majority of Democrats felt he was the best candidate available to beat Trump. He's going to want to be very careful in his pick. There are only a few more weeks before it has to be announced.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
18.1  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @18    4 years ago
Is this pandering? Yes

Yup, that's how the game is played by both sides

evilone
Professor Guide
18.1.1  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @18.1    4 years ago
Yup, that's how the game is played by both sides

This is know. LOL!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
20  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

No surprise the racist party would make race a determining qualification for the office of VP.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
20.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @20    4 years ago

There is racism in both parties. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
20.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @20.1    4 years ago

Let's not try to "both sides" this. Only one party thinks the flag of traitors, racists, and slavery is cool.