Eskimo Pies to drop 'derogatory' name over racial insensitivity

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 weeks ago  •  271 comments

By:   Ben Feuerherd (New York Post)

Eskimo Pies to drop 'derogatory' name over racial insensitivity
The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Ben Feuerherd

Enlarge Imageeskimo-pie.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1 Shutterstock

The maker of Eskimo Pies will change the 99-year-old brand name of the ice cream treat, the company said Friday — becoming the latest organization to overhaul the marketing of a product with a racially tinged moniker in recent weeks.

The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

"We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory," the company's head of marketing said in a statement.

"This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values," the company added.

Along with the name change, the company will alter the treat's marketing scheme, which traditionally featured a young boy dressed as an Eskimo in a snowy environment.

The move comes after brands such as Aunt Jemima's syrup and Uncle Ben's rice have said they will would overhaul their controversial imaging amid online criticism.

Cream of Wheat, which features a black chef as their mascot, said Thursday they would review their marketing strategy.

"We understand there are concerns regarding the Chef image," said B&G Foods in a emailed statement, adding that they "are initiating an immediate review" of the cereal brand's packaging.

The shift in advertising comes amid widespread protests in America over police brutality and systemic racism in the United States.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

It does make you wonder why they still can't get the name Washington Redskins changed. 

MUVA
1.1  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 weeks ago

No 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @1.1    2 weeks ago

Redskin is a disgusting word. Worse that it came from a Jew who would resent if a team was called the Kikes. 

MUVA
1.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

And what dose that have to do with me not wondering why the redskins changed their name?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

I don't understand your question. 

MUVA
1.1.4  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

He said do you wonder why they haven't changed the name of the Washington --- skins and I said No because I do not wonder about that.So why would you give me a tutorial about Daniel Snyder?   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

OK I misunderstood what you meant. So you agree the name is offensive. 

MUVA
1.1.6  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

I think it maybe to some and other not as much.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @1.1.6    2 weeks ago

So you would be fine with the Washington Niggers? Or in your case, the Washington Miletos? Maybe just the Washington KKK? Just asking?

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

What about the White Socks and the Red Socks?  Do we get new teams named Yellow Socks and Brown Socks to even things out?

Greg Jones
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 weeks ago

I don't spend my timing worrying about things I cannot change. The naming of some teams like Redskins and Chiefs were meant to show respect and admiration for American Indians.

Then along came self-loathing and guilt ridden liberals, wanting to rewrite and obliterate history by changing names, toppling statues, and banning books.

Freedom Warrior
1.2.1  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 weeks ago

I'm curious when they will be going after FDR.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 weeks ago

Greg,

I can buy that the name the Indians and the Cheifs were meant to be respectful, but not the Redskins. Sorry, naming a team after Indian scalps is not respectful and the owner knows it. 

And please don't make a strawman argument out of this. None of these words re-write history, and I am not talking about statues (which I feel have their place, like in a museum) or banning books, which I don't believe in. 

Freedom Warrior
1.2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.2    2 weeks ago

Are you ready to dismantle the Pyramids as well.  After all they were constructed with slave labor.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.2.3    2 weeks ago

Yeah, that would be my folks. And no, since I am not a moron and know that they don't represent slavery.  I am also not expecting plantations to come down either. 

Thrawn 31
1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 weeks ago

I am considering pulling a RL South Park, they did pull the trademark protection for the name and logo. 

JBB
2  JBB    2 weeks ago

It is just icecream on a stick...                                                                                                          

Raven Wing
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @2    2 weeks ago
It is just icecream on a stick... 

And they aren't really made by Eskimos. 

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1    2 weeks ago

And it isn't a pie.

Raven Wing
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    2 weeks ago
And it isn't a pie.

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

I think we should help Dreyer's come up with a new name for them.

How about Yum-Yum Bars?

Sean Treacy
3  Sean Treacy    2 weeks ago

Snap Crackle Pop is racist too.

Let's just stop naming things. Too offensive. Everyone get a number, except what progressives determine are "racist numbers."

George Washington can be President One. Is President racist? Hmmm.

The important thing is we wipe from existence every  mention of any person or culture to ensure no one (read rich, progressive white people)  is offended. 

MUVA
3.1  MUVA  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 weeks ago

The mere  fact you feel comfortable saying those racist words snap crackle and pop shit now I have done it I’m going to kneel and ask Al Sharpton for forgiveness.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 weeks ago

So Sean, your OK if I call you a Mic or a Donkey? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Sean Treacy
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    2 weeks ago

Sure. I've been called a mick my entire life.  Never thought to be offended by it.  It's just a word.  Offense depends on intent and context... 

No Sane person sees an ice cream treat called an eskimo pie and thinks it's a racist insult. But by all means, let's wipe all references to eskimos from our vocabulary. Wiping all references of eskimos  from popular culture will certainly keep paternalistic white people from being offended on their behalf as we ensure we are never reminded of their existence.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    2 weeks ago
Offense depends on intent and context... 

I agree 100%. But also, if someone means it to be offensive, then one should be offended. But those words were used by people who meant to insult. And I am sorry, but I have yet to find "Mic" brand potatoes or "Donkey" brand beer. When you can find the exact equivalency I'll be happy to have the discussion with you.

But by all means, let's wipe all references to eskimos from our vocabulary. Wiping all references of eskimos  from popular culture will certainly keep paternalistic white people from being offended on their behalf as we ensure we are never reminded of their existence.

I find it really ironic (and a bit self-flagellating) that the word doesn't come from white folks, but from an Indian to Indian insult. Read what I wrote.

Sean Treacy
3.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    2 weeks ago

m sorry, but I have yet to find "Mic" brand potatoes 

No but you can find lucky charms cereal and buy "fighting Irish" branded clothes.  Calling a potato  "Micks favorite Potato" would be a great  idea. Wouldn't have a problem with it. 

but from an Indian to Indian insult.

So what? It doesn't matter where the word comes from or meant hundreds of years ago in some other language.   It only "means"  what it's understood to mean and neither the makers nor consumers of the product take it as some sort of secret insult.   

It's amazing how hard people work to find offense. 

MUVA
3.2.4  MUVA  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.3    2 weeks ago

It is a full time job for some look no further  than CNN and MSNCB.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.3    2 weeks ago

The Fighting Irish is not an insult and Lucky Charms as a term isn't either. Where is the offense, when the Irish themselves still believe in this folklore? 

It's not a secret. It is well known in areas that they live. And as I said when I started this, I am not Inuit, so I can't speak for them. I have known Inuits and they dislike the word immensely. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @3.2.4    2 weeks ago

I don't watch CNN or MSNBC.. maybe instead of trying to throw vague insults at me, you should look over your posts. 

Sean Treacy
3.2.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.5    2 weeks ago

Fighting Irish is not an insult and Lucky Charms as

That's the point Perrie. Eskimo is not an insult in English. It's simply not.   No more than the word  Irish is. Or German or Italian. It's a neutral word used by Americans to describe an ethnic group. 

That's all it is.. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.2.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.7    2 weeks ago
That's the point Perrie. Eskimo is not an insult in English. It's simply not. 

And you just made my point thank you. It doesn't matter to you, but it does to the Inuit. It is not a neutral word. It is a slur. It is not like using the word Irish German or Italian. It is akin to using the terms Mic, Krout or Guinea. Get it now?

Krishna
3.2.9  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.5    2 weeks ago
The Fighting Irish is not an insult

True.

And even beyond not being an insult-- it seems to me its an actual compliment!

About Notre Dame's football team:

The school claims 11 national championships, but the NCAA recognizes them with 13.

Moreover, Notre Dame has 21 national championships recognized by all major selectors; this is tied with Alabama for the most in the FBS.

Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Ohio State share the record of seven Heisman Trophy winners.

Notre Dame has produced 102 consensus All-Americans, 34 unanimous All-Americans, 52 members of the College Football Hall of Fame, and 13 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, all NCAA records.

Notre Dame has had 495 players selected in the NFL Draft, second only to USC.

And there's more HERE.

Paula Bartholomew
3.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.6    2 weeks ago

Insulting the site owner is akin to poking a hornet's nest with a stick.  You might think it is a good idea at the time but it can end up biting you on the butt.

gooseisgone
3.2.11  gooseisgone  replied to  Krishna @3.2.9    2 weeks ago
The Fighting Irish is not an insult True. And even beyond not being an insult-- it seems to me its   an actual compliment

Some disagree.

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2006/03/fighting-irish-moniker-found-offensive/

loki12
3.3  loki12  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 weeks ago
Snap Crackle Pop is racist too.

I thought ageist, not racist, Isn't this what old people sound like?

1stwarrior
3.3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  loki12 @3.3    2 weeks ago

Nope - this is what old people sound like - 

Ronin2
3.3.2  Ronin2  replied to  1stwarrior @3.3.1    2 weeks ago

So now we have to change the name of Rice Crispy Treats. Thanks! 

Aren't we having enough problems with all of the renaming going on?

Krishna
3.3.3  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @3.3.2    2 weeks ago

Do you actually think that that's a major problem?

Major corporations change names of many products all the time! (Surprised you didn't know that...)

Paula Bartholomew
3.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @3.3.1    2 weeks ago

I don't know about that but I do know that I hurt in places that twenty years ago weren't even places.

Raven Wing
3.3.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.4    2 weeks ago
I hurt in places that twenty years ago weren't even places.

And I never knew they were even part of the human anatomy. I have always wondered how they found me. jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
3.3.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @3.3.3    2 weeks ago

Here are a few corporations that have changed names over time.

Burbn - Instagram

Weight Watchers - now just WW

Dunkin' Donuts - now just Dunkin'

WWF - WWE

Lucky and GoldStar Co., Ltd - LG

Brad’s Drink - Pepsi

Jerry and David’s Guide to the World Wide Web - Yahoo

Back Rub - Google

Relentless - Amazon

PC’s Limited - Dell

Blue Ribbon Sports - Nike

Goodfellow’s Dry Goods - Target

Amazin’ Software - EA Games

Tote’m - 7-11

Trout Giggles
3.3.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.6    2 weeks ago

I'm so old I remember when Esso became Exxon

Freedom Warrior
3.4  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 weeks ago

I suggest everyone just stop being offended.  Like the advice from an infamous clinical psychologist.

Paula Bartholomew
4  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

Enough is enough already.  It's not like they are made from real Eskimos.

From The Adams Family movie when a girl scout asked Wednesday to buy her cookies.

"Are they made from real girl scouts?"

Sparty On
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    2 weeks ago

This is just more progressive craziness.

Nothing more.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    2 weeks ago

Sparty,

I have no idea why they are changing their name other than their statement:

The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

“We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory,” the company’s head of marketing said in a statement.

“This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values,” the company added.

So it doesn't seem that there was a request to do so. Maybe they were just trying to be nice. 

Sparty On
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

Perrie, 

Big picture, in the scheme of things I’m not really slain by whatever the reasons are.     That said, it’s a free country, they are free to change whenever they want for whatever reason they want.    I really could care less.

But this PC stuff is beyond out of control imo.    

Where does the craziness stop?    I tell you where.    It doesn’t.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    2 weeks ago

Sparty,

SO again I'll ask you, what is your background? 

And this is not about PC. PC is fake. We should all be able to take a joke. I did a whole article about this. This is about when something is known to be offensive and then disrespected. 

So I'll ask again, what is your background?

loki12
5  loki12    2 weeks ago

We need to start boycotting rice, they are trying to divide us by color, Brown Rice, Yellow Rice, White Rice.  We need to stand in solidarity with our rice brothers.  And Wild rice?  Does that mean the others are domesticated? 

MUVA
5.1  MUVA  replied to  loki12 @5    2 weeks ago

They should stop selling bananas watermelon and fried chicken it is also offensive.

loki12
5.1.1  loki12  replied to  MUVA @5.1    2 weeks ago

I have the right to be free from religious persecution, The Quaker odds guy has to go, it is not fair the his religious dogma is forced on me for loving a hot cereal. 

MUVA
5.1.2  MUVA  replied to  loki12 @5.1.1    2 weeks ago

I want the words white and alabaster removed from the English language along with Liverpool.  

Sparty On
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  MUVA @5.1    2 weeks ago

Black eyed peas must be renamed.    I suggest Dark Eyed Peas or Pea with a dark spot.    

Of course the band will need to change their name as well.

loki12
5.1.4  loki12  replied to  MUVA @5.1.2    2 weeks ago

Pale obviously needs to go.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.4    2 weeks ago

Wow... thanks for the great discourse from all of you. 

loki12
5.1.7  loki12  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    2 weeks ago
Black eyed peas must be renamed.

And Indian Corn, Some of the colors look like they are practicing cultural appropriation. Obviously Multi racial corn that is all equal would be best.......Marketing will be a bitch, but they must adapt to the new world order.

MUVA
5.1.8  MUVA  replied to  loki12 @5.1.4    2 weeks ago

I'm also offended by the song black Betty red sky's at night and saved by zero just because it sucks.

MUVA
5.1.9  MUVA  replied to  loki12 @5.1.7    2 weeks ago

Indian summer like their summer is any different. 

Sparty On
5.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.6    2 weeks ago

Actually it’s a very appropriate conversation from a topical standpoint.    

You might not like it but there it is.

loki12
5.1.11  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.6    2 weeks ago

Yes, because everything here must be taken with the utmost seriousness, Removing the name of Eskimo pie has obviously saved future generations.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.10    2 weeks ago

Really? What is your background? I'd like to know. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.11    2 weeks ago

Ok and what is your background Loki?

Sparty On
5.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  MUVA @5.1.9    2 weeks ago

Rice is problematic as well, white rice, brown rice ... suggest we number it.    

Rice #1 is brown, rice #2 is white rice, etc, etc.

Sparty On
5.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.12    2 weeks ago

Here we go again.    I’ve answered this direction of questioning of yours before here.    

If you have an expectation of expertise in all posts made, you’ll have many, many fewer posts.

Not exactly sure what background you are expecting to not hammer everyone else’s posts here that disagree with you but honestly, it doesn’t matter.    Not in the end.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @5.1.9    2 weeks ago

Why would that be offensive? 

Sparty On
5.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.16    2 weeks ago

I’ve had Native Americans offended by it when I’ve used it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.15    2 weeks ago

It does matter. Because if you are Polish, can I call you the Polack? Or Italian, can I call you the WOP or Guinea? Should I go on? 

Ummm.. WOP Tomato Sauce... Just like my Guinea mom used to make. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.17    2 weeks ago

Sorry, I truly doubt that, since the term comes from them.

Sparty On
5.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.19    2 weeks ago

Don’t be sorry but don’t you ever call me a liar again.

Ever.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.20    2 weeks ago

If I was going to call you a liar I would. What I am saying is that I am sure you misunderstood, since the term comes from Indians. 

And you still have not answered my question. What is your background?

Sparty On
5.1.22  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.18    2 weeks ago

I’ve been called bohunk my whole life.    To each their own but it never bothered me.   

loki12
5.1.23  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.13    2 weeks ago

British and Irish  51.3%  assorted European Mutt 21.4% French/German 14.6%  and Native American 11.2%, with .1% sub Saharan African.  Southern Europe, Balkans etc. At least that is what 23 and me told me,  But honestly I am 100% American and really don't give a shit what anybody thinks. My worth isn't based in others opinions. 

Oppression isn't using terms that offend others, It's being forced not to use them because it offend others.

Sparty On
5.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.21    2 weeks ago

You just did call me a liar, keep parsing your words though.

I don’t accept your comment at all

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.25  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.22    2 weeks ago

So I can call you Polack on the site and you would be fine with it?

loki12
5.1.26  loki12  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.14    2 weeks ago

That's offensive, you are giving rice a higher score based on color. Why is brown 1?  are you discounting the contributions of the yellow rice? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.27  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.24    2 weeks ago

Sparty, 

I am not going to play this game with you. If I wanted to call you a liar I would. I don't parse my words. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.28  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.23    2 weeks ago

OK so from now on I'll call you a Donkey or a Kraut. I'm sure you'll be fine with that.

pat wilson
5.1.29  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.14    2 weeks ago

Ricist !!!!

Sparty On
5.1.30  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.27    2 weeks ago

Yeah, I’m not the one insulting members and expecting to get away with it.     

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by that here but I was.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.31  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @5.1.9    2 weeks ago

No Indian summer as when Indians used to harvest. 

Sparty On
5.1.32  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.29    2 weeks ago

Nice rice baby!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.33  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.30    2 weeks ago

Really because it sure feels like there are several of you here who have no problem trying to insult other ethnic groups and get away with it. 

Sparty On
5.1.34  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.25    2 weeks ago

You could call me polack but you would be wrong.    It’s bohunk.

Sparty On
5.1.35  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.33    2 weeks ago

No one is insulting anyone.    Well not me anyway.    You on the other hand should not be talking ....

loki12
5.1.36  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.28    2 weeks ago

Seriously why would you think I would give a fuck what  you called me? There is zero chance what you think of me is going to hurt my feelings, no offense, we aren't friends, very likely we will never be friends, we aren't family, so why would your opinion matter to me? how pathetically fragile do you have to be to let a strangers comment effect you on the internet? Call me whatever makes you happy, it's more of a refection of you than me. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.37  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.34    2 weeks ago

So you are just a generic Slav? (and for the record, I've never heard of the term until now).

Kathleen
5.1.38  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.28    2 weeks ago

I was called a Kraut before because I said I have German in me.  Well...I do like sauerkraut...

Sparty On
5.1.39  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.37    2 weeks ago

What term?   Slav?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.40  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.36    2 weeks ago

Do you think you are trying to bother me with that rant? no. And btw, your answer says a lot. It means you do care when it comes out of the mouths of people you care about. I, on the other hand, respect what people wishes are, even when they don't matter to me personally. That is the person I am. 

loki12
5.1.41  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.33    2 weeks ago
feels like there are several of you here who have no problem trying to insult other ethnic groups and get away with it. 

Food items are ethnic groups now? It appears to me that there is a group of people making light heart'd fun of the PC crowd. and somebody just wants to be offended.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.42  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.38    2 weeks ago

Kathleen,

You do realize that the reason Germans are called Krouts is because they like sauerkraut. That was not my question though. Do you like being called a Kraut?

loki12
5.1.43  loki12  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.38    2 weeks ago

You need to be offended, get with the program (s)

Sparty On
5.1.44  Sparty On  replied to  loki12 @5.1.41    2 weeks ago

That was the point of the conversation.   Pointing out the insanity of renaming an ice cream bar named Eskimo Pie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.45  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.41    2 weeks ago

Food using an offensive term for an ethnic group is the issue, not food and I think you get the whole thing anyway. 

loki12
5.1.46  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.40    2 weeks ago
It means you do care when it comes out of the mouths of people you care about. I, on the other hand, respect what people wishes are,

Wow, way to completely miss the point, You asked me if I cared what you called me, and that's a firm NO.. And somehow you tried to extrapolate that into me not caring about others, FFS try to stay on topic, I don't care what you or anybody else calls me!  I have spent most of my adult life protecting others who couldn't do it for themselves, I sure care about others, I just don't give a fuck what some stranger thinks about me,  Is that clear enough?  You see, I don't use that language, but i don't give a shit if you do, again, You calling me a Kraut is about you, not me, and why would I care?

Kathleen
5.1.47  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.42    2 weeks ago

It doesn't bother me, but being called a Nazi would. I laughed some when he called me that.  I don't find that as offensive as some others I guess...  

Sometimes I think the best way is to try not to give any of these names attention. Like in school, then they know it gets to ya, they keep doing it. 

Those are my feelings.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.48  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.44    2 weeks ago

Because the word Eskimo means blubber eaters and depicts and Inuit on the box. Gee, what could be offensive... unless you are an Inuit. 

New Product:  Polack Perogies!

Kathleen
5.1.49  Kathleen  replied to  loki12 @5.1.43    2 weeks ago

Hey.... I love sauerkraut!  Even though I am the only one in my house that eats it...  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.50  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.47    2 weeks ago

Well, Kathleen, I grew up in a German Town. In fact, it was the headquarters for the Bund, on Long Island. I got called Kike a lot and I mean almost daily. How should I feel, cause I know those were Nazi sympathizers back in the 60's and 70's. So can I call them and all Germans I meet Nazis?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.51  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.39    2 weeks ago

As far as I know Slav is not an insult. And I am one, too. 

Kathleen
5.1.52  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.50    2 weeks ago

Is Kraut and Nazi the same? If it is, I did not know that. I thought is was just because you were German. If it is, then I would not like being called that.  I was talking about being called once in a while, if it is daily, then I can see how upsetting it would be. 

sandy-2021492
5.1.53  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.52    2 weeks ago
I was talking about being called once in a while, if it is daily, then I can see how upsetting it would be. 

Why would frequency matter?

Kathleen
5.1.54  Kathleen  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.53    2 weeks ago

Once in a while I can ignore it, but all the time, it makes it harder.  That's what I meant

I am not saying its not wrong though.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.55  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.46    2 weeks ago

Apparently I didn't miss your point. You said it here:

I sure care about others, I just don't give a fuck what some stranger thinks about me,  Is that clear enough?  You calling me a Kraut is about you, not me, and why would I care?

I don't recall calling anyone anything. I made it a point to ask if it was OK?

loki12
5.1.56  loki12  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.49    2 weeks ago

Me too! Plus spaetzle yummy

loki12
5.1.57  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.55    2 weeks ago

So as long as I ask a member if it’s okay if I call you “x” it’s all good? That’s the new rule going forward? 
can you do me a favor and pass that on to Sandy and SP? I’m sure they would ticket me for anything close to that.

loki12
5.1.58  loki12  replied to  loki12 @5.1.57    2 weeks ago

You kids have fun, the under 50 Father’s Day is upon me, seniors will celebrate tomorrow.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.59  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @5.1.57    2 weeks ago

No that is not the new rule. I was making a point, and I know you know that.

Kathleen
5.1.60  Kathleen  replied to  loki12 @5.1.56    2 weeks ago

The way I do sauerkraut is to put the sauerkraut and pork ribs in a crockpot and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours...

I will have to try the dumplings...

Sorry about being off topic John, but you know when it comes to food.....

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.61  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.17    2 weeks ago

Although the exact origins of the term are uncertain, it was perhaps so-called because it was first noted in regions inhabited by American Indians, or because the Indians first described it to Europeans, or it had been based on the warm and hazy conditions in autumn when American Indians hunted.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.62  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.60    2 weeks ago

Food is good. We can all bond over food.

Kathleen
5.1.63  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.62    2 weeks ago

We sure can! : )

dennis smith
5.1.64  dennis smith  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.45    2 weeks ago

If the company was really concerned about the name of its product was racist, they would have done it decades ago.

dennis smith
5.1.65  dennis smith  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.48    2 weeks ago

Were you on the bandwagon for this name change more than a couple of months ago?

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.66  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.42    2 weeks ago

I always wondered about the term Kraut.  Thank you.

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.67  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.14    2 weeks ago

Instead of calling it white or brown rice just go by the picture of the rice on the packaging.  Unless you are color blind, it would be easy enough to know what rice is what.

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.68  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.22    2 weeks ago

"Is he the typical variety bohunk?" (16 Candles)

It's a derogatory term for someone of Hungarian descent or someone from central or southeastern Europe, and by extension, a brute or buffoon. The word comes from the bo- of Bohemian, someone from a region in the Czech Republic, and the hun- of Hungarian.

Sparty On
5.1.69  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.68    2 weeks ago

I know what it means and where it comes from.  

It is used with derogatory intent by some, i just don't generally get my knickers in a knot over being called it.   People who would use it with derogatory intent aren't worth one uptick of the old blood pressure.    And it's pretty easy to discern who is and who isn't using it with ill intent.

That said, interesting that you would respond to this three days later.   I wonder what's behind that .....?

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.70  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.69    2 weeks ago

I wasn't sure.  I meant no offense.  There is nothing behind it.  Sometimes I am just slow at responding.  Do not take it personally.  I would hope that you and I are past that.

Sparty On
5.1.71  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.70    2 weeks ago

It just seemed strange considering some of the things i've had going on in the background.

No worries, i was just asking a question and not making any accusations.

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

charger 383
6  charger 383    2 weeks ago

enough of this silly BS already.  Next they will try to tell us that we can't order black coffee if we don't want cream and sugar in it

Paula Bartholomew
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @6    2 weeks ago

That is how you would have order it....coffee, no cream or sugar.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
6.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    2 weeks ago

The speakers in the McDs drive through [example only... all those speakers / headphone set-ups are terrible] are terrible and someone may hear ...cream... sugar. So, they add those things when you don't want them. Believe it or not... it's happened to me before. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
7  seeder  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago
Confused about the word Eskimo?

It's a commonly used term referring to the native peoples of Alaska and other Arctic regions, including Siberia, Canada and Greenland. It comes from a Central Algonquian language called Ojibwe, which people still speak around the Great Lakes region on both sides of the U.S.-Canadian border. But the word has a controversial history. (Editor's note: And that's why it's not used in the  stories on Greenland  that NPR has posted this week.)

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word  excommunicati , meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7    2 weeks ago

So no. I love how all the non-Indians are experts on the word Eskimo. It is an Iroquois word that means "blubber eater", which was meant as an insult. Inuits (which their real name) is the proper Algonquin word for the tribe. Now I am not sure if the Inuits made this request or not, but saying that the word is not meant as an insult is wrong. It is. That wiki page needs to be updated. 

JohnRussell
7.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    2 weeks ago

Perrie, I think you have my comment confused with someone else's comment. 

There is nothing in what I posted that says the word is not an insult. To the contrary. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    2 weeks ago

I didn't say you did. I'm just trying to explain. And honestly, I don't know if this was a request by the Inuit, or if the company just decided to change the name.

Paula Bartholomew
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    2 weeks ago

The fact is that they indeed do eat blubber as part of their diet.  I tried it when I lived in Alaska and I didn't like it all that much.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.3    2 weeks ago

This is true, Paula, but the Japanese eat a whole lot of fish, and we don't call them Sushi. 

Paula Bartholomew
7.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.4    2 weeks ago

Point well taken.

Trout Giggles
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7    2 weeks ago

When I lived in Alaska, people (military mostly) called the Natives "skimos". Now that's offensive

Ender
8  Ender    2 weeks ago
Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots 'n around my toe
Frost had bit the ground below
Was a hundred degrees below zero
And my momma cried:
Boo-a-hoo hoo-ooo
And my momma cried:
Nanook-a, no no
Nanook-a, no no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money: don't go to the show
Well I turned around an' I said:
HO HO
HO HO
HO HO
An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow
An' she said
With a tear in her eye:
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

Sparty On
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @8    2 weeks ago

A musical genius!    Plus he really knew how to name his kids ....

Freedom Warrior
9  Freedom Warrior    2 weeks ago

Guaranteed last place in the virtue signaling olympics.

Critical Race Theory is in fact Critically racist.

Notice the thematics, so overly dogmatic, some would say seriously off one's gourd.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
9.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freedom Warrior @9    2 weeks ago

I think you are on the wrong article.

Freedom Warrior
9.1.1  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    2 weeks ago

Kathleen
10  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

I really don't care if they change the names of these products. I do think though that they are doing it out of fear.  If they really felt it was offensive, they would have done it years ago.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @10    2 weeks ago

Fear of what Kathleen? How many Inuits do you think they will lose in sales? And they actually said in the article that they did think of changing the name because they knew the word was offensive. 

Maybe they are just being considerate? What a novel idea.

Kathleen
10.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1    2 weeks ago

But why now?  Honestly, I think they should have done it long ago instead of waiting until all the things that are happening in the news.  Fear because of what has been going on in the news. All the protests and anger. If they really "cared" then they would have done something about it sooner.

Actually I think I would have more respect for these companies if they would have not waited until all this was going on.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.1    2 weeks ago

Kathleen,

I think that people are just re-evaluating things that really they always understood, but it was not high on their to-do list. I don't try to figure out their motivation. 

MUVA
10.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.1    2 weeks ago

Now because we have virtue signaling and a bunch of white liberals that use this as a wedge for a up coming election it is a way for some to feel they are better than others. 

MUVA
10.1.4  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.2    2 weeks ago

I want to know their motivation to see if it just political pandering I see to many people of a certain political bent that seem to only care about race 9 months before a election. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @10.1.3    2 weeks ago

First of all, I hate the BS term "virtue signaling". I happen to think that it is a virtue to have consideration. Or do you think that it's not and being inconsiderate is the way to go?

Second, what percentage of the electorate do you think Inuit make? And what percentage do you think will take note? And please tell me how changing the name translates into votes.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @10.1.4    2 weeks ago

How does changing the name of an ice cream bar translate into votes? Here's a hint.. it doesn't. 

MUVA
10.1.7  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.6    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

MUVA
10.1.8  MUVA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.5    2 weeks ago

You can like or not like the words it is a descriptive word that fits some people to a T or I could just say self righteous.

Kathleen
10.1.9  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.2    2 weeks ago

That’s fine, but I do. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @10.1.7    2 weeks ago

There is only one product being discussed here so it would behoove you to follow along. There was no need for your snarky response. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
10.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MUVA @10.1.8    2 weeks ago
First of all, I hate the BS term "virtue signaling". I happen to think that it is a virtue to have consideration. Or do you think that it's not and being inconsiderate is the way to go?
You can like or not like the words it is a descriptive word that fits some people to a T or I could just say self righteous.

So what no answer? Just a deflection? 

The Magic Eight Ball
11  The Magic Eight Ball    2 weeks ago
Eskimo Pies To Drop 'Derogatory' Name Over Racial Insensitivity

anyone offended over eskimo pies needs to check themselves into a mental institution.

without exception.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
11.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @11    2 weeks ago

And what are you, my keyboard warrior? What is your background?

The Magic Eight Ball
11.1.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    2 weeks ago

nothing I said was debatable

and your post is off topic.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
11.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @11.1.1    2 weeks ago

No, your post is meant as an insult (and btw unless you have either a PhD or an MD in psych you can not make that DX and from that post, I can tell you are not) and mine is very much to the point. 

Paula Bartholomew
11.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    2 weeks ago

my keyboard warrior

Chief Sticky Keyboard?

The Magic Eight Ball
11.1.4  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.2    2 weeks ago
unless you have either a PhD or an MD in psych you can not make that DX

if that is how it works? 

unless you have a PhD or MD you are not qualified to refute my statements made above

JohnRussell
12  seeder  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

I have stayed off this seed for personal reasons. 

But now, since people are insisting to continue , I am going to say something. 

When the ice cream company named the thing Eskimo Pie 99 years ago, we can be sure they didnt care AT ALL about what the indigenous people the Inuit thought about it.  They might as well have been cigar store Indians for all the ice cream company cared. 

Today, there are only 148,000 of these arctic region inhabitants IN THE WORLD. Only 16,000 in the US.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit. They are not a large enough group to either be a market for the ice cream or to influence a boycott of the name. 

Evidently the name "eskimo" is offensive to some of these natives. So the ice cream company is belatedly doing the right thing and changing the name of the ice cream bar. 

Its not that fucking complicated. 

Personally I find it refreshing that a corporation will do something like this without being faced with a huge adversary with a lot of high powered groups behind it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
12.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @12    2 weeks ago

Great post John.

JohnRussell
12.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    2 weeks ago

thank you

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
13  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    2 weeks ago

I guess this means Eskimo kissing is out?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
13.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @13    2 weeks ago

Well, Inuit kissing is quite in.... and you're looking kind of.....oppps never mind. 

Raven Wing
13.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1    2 weeks ago

Well....now what do I tell this poor puckered pup....?   ?? jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
13.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1    2 weeks ago
and you're looking kind of.....oppps never mind.

Hey, give me some credit!  I ditch the cigar when there is even the smallest chance of Eskimo kissery on the horizon.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
13.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @13.1.2    2 weeks ago

I'm sorry..... I'm a bit hard of hearing. Did you say you ditch your bra or cigar before... The devil is in the details. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
13.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @13.1.1    2 weeks ago

too cute! 

Buzz of the Orient
14  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

I wonder if the movie Ford Torino will be banned because there are a number of ethnic slurs spoken in it like "gooks", "mic", :"Poelock" etc. 

Even THESE have been used as a racial connotation - is it time to do a total remake on the English language?

GTY_oreo_cookies_tk_131016_16x9_992.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
14.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    2 weeks ago

Buzz,

The movie was Grand Torino and that is one of my all time faves. 

Buzz of the Orient
14.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14.1    2 weeks ago

Oooops!  I should have known better.  You DO recall all the racial slurs in it, alhough most of them were made in jest and were not taken seriously. 

Paula Bartholomew
14.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.1.1    2 weeks ago

The King Of Movie Trivia here just got busted LOL.jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Kathleen
14.2  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    2 weeks ago

I liked that movie too, he softened up. Plus you know Clint, he doesn't take any crap.

Ender
14.3  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    2 weeks ago

It was completely crass but I think he was portraying how someone that may be racist can change their stance just by getting to know someone.

Sometimes there are more similarities than differences.

Buzz of the Orient
14.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @14.3    2 weeks ago

Good observation and analysis.

Paula Bartholomew
14.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    2 weeks ago

I guess that All In The Family won't air any longer either.

Tacos!
15  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

So then, Inuit Pie?

MonsterMash
15.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @15    2 weeks ago
So then, Inuit Pie?

I prefer Interacial Pie

Perrie Halpern R.A.
15.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @15.1    2 weeks ago

Now that IS an invitation... hummm.....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
15.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @15    2 weeks ago

Is that an invitation?

MonsterMash
15.2.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.2    2 weeks ago
Is that an invitation?

Sure, BYOP (Bring your own pie)

Buzz of the Orient
15.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @15    2 weeks ago

How about Arctic Pie, or Polar Bar (a play on polar bear?).   Maybe those already exist.

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3    2 weeks ago

I think there is already a product called Polar Bear.  If I remember correctly it is an ice cream square covered in chocolate.

Buzz of the Orient
15.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.1    2 weeks ago

I think it's actually "Polar Bar"

EconomyWrap_PolarBar2.png

This is a Polar Bear

01-polar-bear-nationalgeographic_1155565.ngsversion.1532107353964.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Unless it happens to be a restaurant

Ice-cream-Shop-Bangalore-Polar-Bear-ewWdmpqY-4fdcf67021b96_regular.jpg

Or is this what you mean?

MFEU3H23OND4XAXZXCXYZXYCIM.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    2 weeks ago

Yes.  That one.  My memory was iffy at best in regards to the name of the product.

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3    2 weeks ago

But it isn't a pie.  Then again cheesecake is not a cake.

1stwarrior
15.3.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    2 weeks ago

Wait a minute - WHO is gonna eat an ice cream bar with a friggin' spoon????????

Ain't ya got no class????

Sparty On
15.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    2 weeks ago

Or you pull a Mr Pitt and eat it with a knife and fork ......

JaneDoe
15.3.8  JaneDoe  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    2 weeks ago

I hear you. That’s like eating a snickers bar with a knife and fork. Sheesh!

JaneDoe
15.3.9  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.7    2 weeks ago

Everyone was doing it. 

Buzz of the Orient
15.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    2 weeks ago

It depends on how much it has melted.

Sparty On
15.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.9    2 weeks ago

I know.    A great episode!

JaneDoe
15.3.12  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.11    2 weeks ago

They are all good. As I go about my days it’s amazing how many times I can say there is a Seinfeld episode about that.

Sparty On
15.3.13  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.12    2 weeks ago

I know, the depth of some of those half hour episodes is amazing.    One of my favorites was the ugly baby episode.    You had the following story lines being woven together at the same time, ugly baby, Kramer stealing lobsters, shrinkage, tomatoes George has to have, topless George’s girlfriend and he’s the only one who missed it and George intentionally poisoning his girlfriend.    And I might be missing some more .... crazy good!

JaneDoe
15.3.14  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.13    2 weeks ago

The Hampton tomatoes. On the way home George gets pelted with them from his girlfriend.

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    2 weeks ago

If that ice cream bar is melting, I sure would not throw it out.   You better believe I would use a spoon.

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.13    2 weeks ago

shrinkage

This one?

"I was in the pool!" (George)

Sparty On
15.3.17  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.16    2 weeks ago

I know, its a fantastic episode.

The reactions to the ugly baby are classic!

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.17    2 weeks ago

The soup Nazi is my favorite although I am sure that the episode in today's climate won't air again.  Some of my favorites are with Elaine and Putty (sp) like when she took the Jesus Fish off of his car and changed all his radio stations that were set to gospel music.

Sparty On
15.3.19  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.18    2 weeks ago

Lol Puddy .... he was hilarious .... their interactions were priceless.

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.20  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.19    2 weeks ago

Do you remember when Elaine put her fingers to her forehead like they were horns and yelled I think "Devil!" at him?

Sparty On
15.3.21  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.20    2 weeks ago

Yup, good stuff

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.8    2 weeks ago

Don't both Trump and DeBalzio eat pizza with a knife and fork?  To each their own when it comes to food.  No matter  how you eat it, tastes just as good.  My roomie in college loved rocky road ice cream but never used a spoon.  She would use a plastic ruler.

JaneDoe
15.3.23  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.16    2 weeks ago

They shrink? Hummm

JaneDoe
15.3.24  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.22    2 weeks ago

I don’t know how they eat their pizza. When I make it at home I sometimes have to use a knife and fork, it’s so full of delicious sauce, cheese and toppings, you almost have to.

I am still against eating snicker bars with a knife and fork though, I don’t care if it does taste the same. 😀

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.25  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.23    2 weeks ago

Shrink?

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.26  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.23    2 weeks ago

According to George they do.

Just Jim NC TttH
15.3.27  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.26    2 weeks ago

The human body is truly amazing. Built in "alarms" that tell you it's cold. 

Men - cold water causes shrinkage of the.........well you know

Women - On come the "headlights"

This is supposed to be funny so please take it with the humor that was intended .But it is true

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

JaneDoe
15.3.28  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.26    2 weeks ago

I get it. I was just repeating Elaine when she asked, they shrink?

Sparty On
15.3.29  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.28    2 weeks ago

And then she sez some thing like this:

I don't know how you guys walk around with things ..... more jocularity

Paula Bartholomew
15.3.30  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15.3.27    2 weeks ago

Shrinkage is why god gave whales, seals, etc an iggigick so that they can mate.

Trout Giggles
15.3.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    2 weeks ago

That's a Klondike Bar

Trout Giggles
15.3.32  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.15    2 weeks ago

I like to put my Klondike Bar in a bowl, cover it with caramel syrup and eat it with a spoon

Ender
15.4  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @15    2 weeks ago

I say just...  Alaska Bar.

Paula Bartholomew
15.4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @15.4    2 weeks ago

What about ice cream drumsticks?  Do they change because vegans, turkeys, and chickens might be offended?

Ender
15.4.2  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.4.1    2 weeks ago

I heard they want to change the name of PopTarts.

Prostitutes that dress like pop stars are offended.

Paula Bartholomew
15.4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @15.4.2    2 weeks ago

Check #20.1.4 - Soup For Sluts.

MonsterMash
16  MonsterMash    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
16.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @16    2 weeks ago

I think you might be on the wrong article. 

bugsy
17  bugsy    2 weeks ago

Since the left is trying to erase their history with owning slaves, founding the KKK and now trying to topple statues of their ancestors, should we also try and erase these people from history?

https://historyengine.richmond.edu/episodes/view/6699

This same type of letter may have been sent a thousand times from a slaveholding father to his slaveholding son in mid nineteenth century American South. But William Ellison and his son, Henry Ellison, were different. William Ellison was African American, born into slavery in April of 1790 with the name April Ellison to a slave mother and white slavemaster father, Mr. William Ellison. As a young man he was apprenticed to a cotton gin maker rather than working in the fields and allowed to keep a portion of the wages he earned for his master and father, money that he later used to purchase his freedom. At the same time, he changed his name to William Ellison, after his father, to fit in with higher society. After purchasing his family, he moved to Sumter County, South Carolina and hired out other free African Americans to work in his cotton gin shop. While working, he discovered a common problem among freed slaves in the South. The expense of wages left him with a profit that would never compete with what slaveowners were earning. Wanting to move up in society, he purchased his first slaves in 1820.

By 1850, Ellison had 37 slaves while his sons owned another 16. He was one of about 180 black slave masters in South Carolina at the time, most of whom were former slaves themselves.

sandy-2021492
17.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @17    2 weeks ago

"The left" didn't.  The right did.  And back then, Democrats were the right.

bugsy
17.1.1  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @17.1    2 weeks ago
And back then, Democrats were the right.

Revisionist history...

Fail

sandy-2021492
17.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @17.1.1    2 weeks ago

Your proclamation does not make it so.

loki12
18  loki12    2 weeks ago

The can market it as, The Pie formerly known as Eskimo? Then we can just give it a symbol.

Sparty On
18.1  Sparty On  replied to  loki12 @18    2 weeks ago

Then the symbol might offend someone.  

Nah, everything must be generic now.   Problem is we can't use the universal "white" packaging of generic products because that would be offensive to some people so we can make the main wrapper/packaging black and lettering brown or yellow or any color other than white.

Then everything would be assigned a number.   An Eskimo Pie for example could be an Ice Cream Bar #4  and so on.

There we go ..... all fixed.

loki12
18.1.1  loki12  replied to  Sparty On @18.1    2 weeks ago

We will have to leave some numbers out, nobody wants to eat fudgesicle number 2, just say'n.

Sparty On
18.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  loki12 @18.1.1    2 weeks ago

Good idea, we'll leave the numbering scheme up to you but one more thing while we're talking .....   Lemonade #1 might be bad as well ..... skip the #1 and go directly to #2.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
18.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @18.1    2 weeks ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
18.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.3    2 weeks ago

So, 1st, I guess if it's not your tribe you good with that. Good to know.

1stwarrior
18.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @18.1.4    2 weeks ago

Waiting for the "/S" tag 'cause I know you're not serious.

Pancake mix?  Race/ethnicity

Rice?  Race/ethnicity

Ice Cream bar?  Depends.

Syrup?  Race/ethnicity

Chickasaw is not a "race/ethnicity" - they are a sovereign people as determined by the Constitution and numerous SCOTUS decisions, as are the Shinnacock Tribe/Nation.

Paula Bartholomew
18.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.5    2 weeks ago

Depends.

Way different product.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
18.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.5    2 weeks ago

Yes, 1st and the Candian Gov, recognizes a tribe called the Inuit, not blubber eaters/ Eskimo. 

There are three ( First Nations , [3]   Inuit [4]  and  Métis [5] ) distinctive groups of North America indigenous peoples recognized in the Canadian  Constitution Act, 1982 sections 25  and 35.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_in_Canada#:~:text=There%20are%20three%20(First%20Nations,1982%2C%20sections%2025%20and%2035.

Kavika
18.1.8  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.5    2 weeks ago
Chickasaw is not a "race/ethnicity" - they are a sovereign people as determined by the Constitution and numerous SCOTUS decisions, as are the Shinnacock Tribe/Nation.

If the Chickasaw considers themselves indigenous to the Americas they are a race. If they don't then what do you consider yourself? White, Black, or Asian?

1stwarrior
18.1.9  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @18.1.6    2 weeks ago

My wife's grandmother, aged 86, who lives with us, has to wear them suckers and calls them "No Blame" - cause it's not her fault :-)

1stwarrior
18.1.10  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @18.1.8    2 weeks ago

Well, I can see where this is going.

No, you are very incorrect.  If they are indigenous to the Americas, they are not a RACE - they are an ethnicity/culture.

Tribes are governments, not racial classifications

Tribes are governmental and political entities, not racial groups . T his is a principle embedded in U.S. law from the very beginning and explicitly recognized by the Supreme Court in  Morton v. Mancari  in 1977. This is the law of the land.

Executive branch departments of the federal government, through recent actions and pronouncements, have indicated an intent to treat Tribes as “racial classifications” rather than as governmental and political entities. This memo examines the evolution and present status of federal law with regard to Tribes-as-governments, and concludes that executive branch agencies are precluded from interacting with tribal governments as racial groups . As was thoroughly explained by the U.S. Supreme Court in Morton v. Mancari, 417 U.S. 535 (1974), Tribes are governmental entities, not racial groups. As such, Congress may enact legislation, and executive branch agencies may implement policy, that is unique to Indian peoples without violating the requirement of equal protection of the law, when such legislation or policies are reasonable and rationally designed to further tribal self-government. 417 U.S. at 555. This remains the governing law today.

https://indianlaw.org/sites/default/files/Morton%20v.%20Mancari%20Memo%20May%203%202018.pdf

Human.

1stwarrior
18.1.11  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @18.1.7    2 weeks ago

Glad to see that you finally understand what I said Perrie - "distinctive groups of North America indigenous peoples recognized in the Canadian".

In fact, throughout your entire "reference" those groups are called INDIGENOUS PEOPLES - and nowhere is a mention of them as a RACE.

Wonder why?  Because Indian is NOT A RACE - it is a people/ethnicity/culture.

Race is "human".  Ask any anthropologist/attorney/historian/ethnologist/etc..

1stwarrior
18.1.12  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.11    2 weeks ago

Let's go one more step - 

Species of Homo. Established by Linnaeus in 1758, Homo is one of five genera currently assigned to the tribe Hominini (Table 1). The type species, Homo sapiens, is the one to which living humans are assigned.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/284/5411/65

In his Systema Naturae, Carolus Linnaeus ( 1 ) placed the human species into the genus Homo, though such placement conveyed a taxonomic meaning different from that of present usage. Linnaeus distinguished between Homo diurnus, with different forms corresponding to European, American, Asian, and African humans, and Homo nocturnus, corresponding to the orangutan. With the passage of time, the genus Homo acquired the connotation presently associated with this taxon, which includes only one living species, Homo sapiens, and some of its near hominid relatives.

https://www.pnas.org/content/100/13/7684

Humans are the species - not the race.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
18.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.11    2 weeks ago

1st,

I never said a race. I said a people. And I also said that, that people don't want to be called blubber eaters. 

And the entire human race (which really is the classification Homosapien) is made up of different races, Indians being one. 

Kavika
18.1.14  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.10    2 weeks ago
Well, I can see where this is going. No, you are very incorrect.  If they are indigenous to the Americas, they are not a RACE - they are an ethnicity/culture.

Actually you don't see where this is going at all. You stated that Chickasaw isn't a race or ethnicity now you're saying that they are an ethnicity/culture. You can't have it both ways. 

You should understand what you're posting. In relationships between the US Government and tribal entities, they are not dealt with as a racial group but as a sovereign entity. That's quite different than indigenous people not being a specific race. 

When you are asked on the census form what your RACE is do you check NA/AN, white, Asian or black?

Split Personality
18.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @18.1.13    2 weeks ago

https://dna-explained.com/2015/07/22/some-native-americans-had-oceanic-ancestors/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/ancient-dna-confirms-native-americans-deep-roots-north-and-south-america

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/did-early-easter-islanders-sail-south-america-europeans

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0722/Scientists-find-genetic-link-between-Native-Americans-and-Pacific-Islanders

Watching tv this weekend anthropologists visited a whole village a people with very high levels of what we would call polynesian

The researchers found that some Native American groups from the  Amazon rainforest  — also known as Amazonia — derive a fraction of their ancestry from a population that is more closely related to the Onge from the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal, New Guineans, Papuans and indigenous Australians than it is to present-day Eurasians or Native Americans. "This finding was really surprising to us," said study lead author Pontus Skoglund, a population geneticist at Harvard Medical School in Boston. "Most genetic studies to date have basically found that all North and South Americans come from a single ancestral source population. That's not what we found — we found a more complicated scenario."

The subject just becomes more complicated by language, religion, isolation and government.

one species with many self declared "races".

Kavika
18.1.16  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @18.1.15    2 weeks ago
The researchers found that some Native American groups from the  Amazon rainforest  — also known as Amazonia — derive a fraction of their ancestry from a population that is more closely related to the Onge from the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal, New Guineans, Papuans and indigenous Australians than it is to present-day Eurasians or Native Americans. "This finding was really surprising to us," said study lead author Pontus Skoglund, a population geneticist at Harvard Medical School in Boston. "Most genetic studies to date have basically found that all North and South Americans come from a single ancestral source population. That's not what we found — we found a more complicated scenario."

That shouldn't be that surprising when you consider the ancient supercontinent of Gowanda which encompassed all of the mentioned areas. 

It could have been that Native Americans sailed to Easter Island, not the other way around. I think that is what Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki proved.

Split Personality
18.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @18.1.16    2 weeks ago

Interesting concept but

the yams or potatoes grown on Easter Island and surrounding areas, genetically, came from Peru  10 to 14,000 years ago but there is no Amerindian DNA in the Polynesian line, suggesting that some Polynesians made it to SA, some stayed, others returned to Easter Island with root stock for potatoes and yams.

The Amerindians were amateur sailors compared to the Polynesians, but anything is possible.

Kavika
18.1.18  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @18.1.17    2 weeks ago
The Amerindians were amateur sailors compared to the Polynesians, but anything is possible.

Indeed the Polynesians were/are great sailors but the American Indian has always been underrated until you consider the theory of the ''kelp highway'' that the Amerindians used from current-day Alaska to South America.  Or that the Indians of present-day Florida used the ocean to move between Florida and the Bahamas.

The 8% Indian DNA in the inhabitants of Easter Island has never been fully explained. How in the world did that happen. 

It's always fun to theorize and it's even more fun when the theory turns out to be true. 

Paula Bartholomew
18.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @18.1    2 weeks ago

The reason white packaging with black letters is used for generic is that it cuts down on the cost of the product with simplified packaging.

Paula Bartholomew
18.1.20  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @18.1.9    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
18.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @18.1.18    2 weeks ago
The 8% Indian DNA in the inhabitants of Easter Island has never been fully explained. How in the world did that happen. 

A cruise that got stranded?

It sounds like the ancient tribes were all damn good sailors

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
18.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  loki12 @18    2 weeks ago

:D

Krishna
20  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Do you actually think that that's a major problem?

Major corporations change names of many products all the time! (Surprised you didn't know that...)

Sparty On
20.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @20    2 weeks ago

I agree to a point.  

Like i said earlier they can change their products names at any time and for any reason but this age of PC and sensitivity is getting too be way over the top for me.   I'd love to know how many fully blooded Inuits are bothered in the least by the name of an ice cream bar.  

I bet that percentage is very, very low.

lib50
20.1.1  lib50  replied to  Sparty On @20.1    2 weeks ago

I just wonder how many would start caring if a product was called Whitey Wanker Dick Fixer  or PWT (Poor White Trash) Cider?

Sparty On
20.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @20.1.1    2 weeks ago

Most likely at lot less than a product called Blackies Boner Elixir or PBBR (poor Black Brothers ripple) wine

You can keep the white on rice as well.   No skin off my cashew chicken.

Let's see whose post stays up longer and that should give you your answer.

Paula Bartholomew
20.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lib50 @20.1.1    2 weeks ago

I actually saw this product for a male enhancer - Horney Goat Powder.

JaneDoe
20.1.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @20.1.3    2 weeks ago

http://justsomething.co/31-worst-product-name-fails-ever/

This is just one of the crazy names in this link. Check it out for a few good chuckles.

Paula Bartholomew
20.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @20.1.4    2 weeks ago

LMAO!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
20.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JaneDoe @20.1.4    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
21  Just Jim NC TttH    2 weeks ago

1stwarrior
21.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    2 weeks ago

That is racist.

Just Jim NC TttH
21.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  1stwarrior @21.1    2 weeks ago

I think not.

Sparty On
21.2  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    2 weeks ago

Where is the NAACP when you need them?

JBB
21.2.1  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @21.2    2 weeks ago

The NAACP is OK with this. Complainers are the KKK and Aryan Nations!

Sparty On
21.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @21.2.1    2 weeks ago
The NAACP is OK with this. Complainers are the KKK and Aryan Nations!

True dat .... in progressive bizarro-land that is .....

JBB
21.3  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    2 weeks ago

Take your grievances to the Quaker Oats Company and Mars Inc...

Just Jim NC TttH
21.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @21.3    2 weeks ago

Lighten up Francis. It was a tongue in cheek post FFS.

256 This better?

Paula Bartholomew
21.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21.3.1    2 weeks ago

NOTE TO SELF -  Stop drinking anything when you post memes.  I am running out of Windex for my monitor.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
21.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21.3.1    2 weeks ago

Oatmeal with maple syrup? That actually sounds pretty good. But it needs brown sugar, too

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
22  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 weeks ago

I thought about chiming in, but I think both sides are covered enough. I've never been much for PC. Hate racism in all it's forms, but the PC crowd is often reaching for things to whine about.

bugsy
23  bugsy    2 weeks ago

just-like-that833.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
24  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

And I thought that not being able to call a below street entrance cover a manhole was ridiculous. 

Paula Bartholomew
24.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @24    2 weeks ago

That one I was not aware of.  What is wrong with manhole covering?  It is essentially a cover for a man made hole for workMEN to access what is below the street.

Just Jim NC TttH
24.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @24.1    2 weeks ago

There was a city in California I think that changed anything that has/had gender specific nomenclature. yep

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/07/manholes-manpower-are-out-as-calif-city-removes-gender-specific-language-from-city-code.html

Paula Bartholomew
24.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @24.1.1    2 weeks ago

Do MEN AT WORK signs become PEOPLE AT WORK?  Is anything listed a MAN MADE become PEOPLE MADE?  I am a staunch supporter of my state, but this is a bit much.

MUVA
24.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @24.1.2    2 weeks ago

Well when you vote for some Democrats you are voting for this kind of BS.