╌>

Eskimo Pies to drop 'derogatory' name over racial insensitivity

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  271 comments

By:   Ben Feuerherd (New York Post)

Eskimo Pies to drop 'derogatory' name over racial insensitivity
The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Ben Feuerherd

Enlarge Imageeskimo-pie.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1 Shutterstock

The maker of Eskimo Pies will change the 99-year-old brand name of the ice cream treat, the company said Friday — becoming the latest organization to overhaul the marketing of a product with a racially tinged moniker in recent weeks.

The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

"We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory," the company's head of marketing said in a statement.

"This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values," the company added.

Along with the name change, the company will alter the treat's marketing scheme, which traditionally featured a young boy dressed as an Eskimo in a snowy environment.

The move comes after brands such as Aunt Jemima's syrup and Uncle Ben's rice have said they will would overhaul their controversial imaging amid online criticism.

Cream of Wheat, which features a black chef as their mascot, said Thursday they would review their marketing strategy.

"We understand there are concerns regarding the Chef image," said B&G Foods in a emailed statement, adding that they "are initiating an immediate review" of the cereal brand's packaging.

The shift in advertising comes amid widespread protests in America over police brutality and systemic racism in the United States.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

It does make you wonder why they still can't get the name Washington Redskins changed. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I don't spend my timing worrying about things I cannot change. The naming of some teams like Redskins and Chiefs were meant to show respect and admiration for American Indians.

Then along came self-loathing and guilt ridden liberals, wanting to rewrite and obliterate history by changing names, toppling statues, and banning books.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

Greg,

I can buy that the name the Indians and the Cheifs were meant to be respectful, but not the Redskins. Sorry, naming a team after Indian scalps is not respectful and the owner knows it. 

And please don't make a strawman argument out of this. None of these words re-write history, and I am not talking about statues (which I feel have their place, like in a museum) or banning books, which I don't believe in. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @1.2.3    4 years ago

Yeah, that would be my folks. And no, since I am not a moron and know that they don't represent slavery.  I am also not expecting plantations to come down either. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I am considering pulling a RL South Park, they did pull the trademark protection for the name and logo. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    4 years ago

It is just icecream on a stick...                                                                                                          

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago
It is just icecream on a stick... 

And they aren't really made by Eskimos. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1    4 years ago

And it isn't a pie.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    4 years ago
And it isn't a pie.

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.2    4 years ago

I think we should help Dreyer's come up with a new name for them.

How about Yum-Yum Bars?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Snap Crackle Pop is racist too.

Let's just stop naming things. Too offensive. Everyone get a number, except what progressives determine are "racist numbers."

George Washington can be President One. Is President racist? Hmmm.

The important thing is we wipe from existence every  mention of any person or culture to ensure no one (read rich, progressive white people)  is offended. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    4 years ago

So Sean, your OK if I call you a Mic or a Donkey? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    4 years ago

Sure. I've been called a mick my entire life.  Never thought to be offended by it.  It's just a word.  Offense depends on intent and context... 

No Sane person sees an ice cream treat called an eskimo pie and thinks it's a racist insult. But by all means, let's wipe all references to eskimos from our vocabulary. Wiping all references of eskimos  from popular culture will certainly keep paternalistic white people from being offended on their behalf as we ensure we are never reminded of their existence.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    4 years ago
Offense depends on intent and context... 

I agree 100%. But also, if someone means it to be offensive, then one should be offended. But those words were used by people who meant to insult. And I am sorry, but I have yet to find "Mic" brand potatoes or "Donkey" brand beer. When you can find the exact equivalency I'll be happy to have the discussion with you.

But by all means, let's wipe all references to eskimos from our vocabulary. Wiping all references of eskimos  from popular culture will certainly keep paternalistic white people from being offended on their behalf as we ensure we are never reminded of their existence.

I find it really ironic (and a bit self-flagellating) that the word doesn't come from white folks, but from an Indian to Indian insult. Read what I wrote.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    4 years ago

m sorry, but I have yet to find "Mic" brand potatoes 

No but you can find lucky charms cereal and buy "fighting Irish" branded clothes.  Calling a potato  "Micks favorite Potato" would be a great  idea. Wouldn't have a problem with it. 

but from an Indian to Indian insult.

So what? It doesn't matter where the word comes from or meant hundreds of years ago in some other language.   It only "means"  what it's understood to mean and neither the makers nor consumers of the product take it as some sort of secret insult.   

It's amazing how hard people work to find offense. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.3    4 years ago

The Fighting Irish is not an insult and Lucky Charms as a term isn't either. Where is the offense, when the Irish themselves still believe in this folklore? 

It's not a secret. It is well known in areas that they live. And as I said when I started this, I am not Inuit, so I can't speak for them. I have known Inuits and they dislike the word immensely. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

I don't watch CNN or MSNBC.. maybe instead of trying to throw vague insults at me, you should look over your posts. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.5    4 years ago

Fighting Irish is not an insult and Lucky Charms as

That's the point Perrie. Eskimo is not an insult in English. It's simply not.   No more than the word  Irish is. Or German or Italian. It's a neutral word used by Americans to describe an ethnic group. 

That's all it is.. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.7    4 years ago
That's the point Perrie. Eskimo is not an insult in English. It's simply not. 

And you just made my point thank you. It doesn't matter to you, but it does to the Inuit. It is not a neutral word. It is a slur. It is not like using the word Irish German or Italian. It is akin to using the terms Mic, Krout or Guinea. Get it now?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.9  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.5    4 years ago
The Fighting Irish is not an insult

True.

And even beyond not being an insult-- it seems to me its an actual compliment!

About Notre Dame's football team:

The school claims 11 national championships, but the NCAA recognizes them with 13.

Moreover, Notre Dame has 21 national championships recognized by all major selectors; this is tied with Alabama for the most in the FBS.

Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Ohio State share the record of seven Heisman Trophy winners.

Notre Dame has produced 102 consensus All-Americans, 34 unanimous All-Americans, 52 members of the College Football Hall of Fame, and 13 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, all NCAA records.

Notre Dame has had 495 players selected in the NFL Draft, second only to USC.

And there's more HERE.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.6    4 years ago

Insulting the site owner is akin to poking a hornet's nest with a stick.  You might think it is a good idea at the time but it can end up biting you on the butt.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Enough is enough already.  It's not like they are made from real Eskimos.

From The Adams Family movie when a girl scout asked Wednesday to buy her cookies.

"Are they made from real girl scouts?"

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

This is just more progressive craziness.

Nothing more.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    4 years ago

Sparty,

I have no idea why they are changing their name other than their statement:

The owner of the Eskimo Pie, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, said in a statement they had been considering renaming the chocolate-covered ice cream bar and popsicle for some time.

“We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory,” the company’s head of marketing said in a statement.

“This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values,” the company added.

So it doesn't seem that there was a request to do so. Maybe they were just trying to be nice. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    4 years ago

Perrie, 

Big picture, in the scheme of things I’m not really slain by whatever the reasons are.     That said, it’s a free country, they are free to change whenever they want for whatever reason they want.    I really could care less.

But this PC stuff is beyond out of control imo.    

Where does the craziness stop?    I tell you where.    It doesn’t.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    4 years ago

Sparty,

SO again I'll ask you, what is your background? 

And this is not about PC. PC is fake. We should all be able to take a joke. I did a whole article about this. This is about when something is known to be offensive and then disrespected. 

So I'll ask again, what is your background?

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

enough of this silly BS already.  Next they will try to tell us that we can't order black coffee if we don't want cream and sugar in it

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @6    4 years ago

That is how you would have order it....coffee, no cream or sugar.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    4 years ago

The speakers in the McDs drive through [example only... all those speakers / headphone set-ups are terrible] are terrible and someone may hear ...cream... sugar. So, they add those things when you don't want them. Believe it or not... it's happened to me before. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Confused about the word Eskimo?

It's a commonly used term referring to the native peoples of Alaska and other Arctic regions, including Siberia, Canada and Greenland. It comes from a Central Algonquian language called Ojibwe, which people still speak around the Great Lakes region on both sides of the U.S.-Canadian border. But the word has a controversial history. (Editor's note: And that's why it's not used in the  stories on Greenland  that NPR has posted this week.)

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word  excommunicati , meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7    4 years ago

So no. I love how all the non-Indians are experts on the word Eskimo. It is an Iroquois word that means "blubber eater", which was meant as an insult. Inuits (which their real name) is the proper Algonquin word for the tribe. Now I am not sure if the Inuits made this request or not, but saying that the word is not meant as an insult is wrong. It is. That wiki page needs to be updated. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    4 years ago

Perrie, I think you have my comment confused with someone else's comment. 

There is nothing in what I posted that says the word is not an insult. To the contrary. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    4 years ago

I didn't say you did. I'm just trying to explain. And honestly, I don't know if this was a request by the Inuit, or if the company just decided to change the name.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    4 years ago

The fact is that they indeed do eat blubber as part of their diet.  I tried it when I lived in Alaska and I didn't like it all that much.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.3    4 years ago

This is true, Paula, but the Japanese eat a whole lot of fish, and we don't call them Sushi. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.4    4 years ago

Point well taken.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7    4 years ago

When I lived in Alaska, people (military mostly) called the Natives "skimos". Now that's offensive

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    4 years ago
Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots 'n around my toe
Frost had bit the ground below
Was a hundred degrees below zero
And my momma cried:
Boo-a-hoo hoo-ooo
And my momma cried:
Nanook-a, no no
Nanook-a, no no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money: don't go to the show
Well I turned around an' I said:
HO HO
HO HO
HO HO
An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow
An' she said
With a tear in her eye:
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @8    4 years ago

A musical genius!    Plus he really knew how to name his kids ....

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
Eskimo Pies To Drop 'Derogatory' Name Over Racial Insensitivity

anyone offended over eskimo pies needs to check themselves into a mental institution.

without exception.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    4 years ago

And what are you, my keyboard warrior? What is your background?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    4 years ago

nothing I said was debatable

and your post is off topic.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.1    4 years ago

No, your post is meant as an insult (and btw unless you have either a PhD or an MD in psych you can not make that DX and from that post, I can tell you are not) and mine is very much to the point. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    4 years ago

my keyboard warrior

Chief Sticky Keyboard?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.2    4 years ago
unless you have either a PhD or an MD in psych you can not make that DX

if that is how it works? 

unless you have a PhD or MD you are not qualified to refute my statements made above

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I have stayed off this seed for personal reasons. 

But now, since people are insisting to continue , I am going to say something. 

When the ice cream company named the thing Eskimo Pie 99 years ago, we can be sure they didnt care AT ALL about what the indigenous people the Inuit thought about it.  They might as well have been cigar store Indians for all the ice cream company cared. 

Today, there are only 148,000 of these arctic region inhabitants IN THE WORLD. Only 16,000 in the US.  . They are not a large enough group to either be a market for the ice cream or to influence a boycott of the name. 

Evidently the name "eskimo" is offensive to some of these natives. So the ice cream company is belatedly doing the right thing and changing the name of the ice cream bar. 

Its not that fucking complicated. 

Personally I find it refreshing that a corporation will do something like this without being faced with a huge adversary with a lot of high powered groups behind it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @12    4 years ago

Great post John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    4 years ago

thank you

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
13  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

I guess this means Eskimo kissing is out?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @13    4 years ago

Well, Inuit kissing is quite in.... and you're looking kind of.....oppps never mind. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1    4 years ago

Well....now what do I tell this poor puckered pup....?   ?? jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
13.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1    4 years ago
and you're looking kind of.....oppps never mind.

Hey, give me some credit!  I ditch the cigar when there is even the smallest chance of Eskimo kissery on the horizon.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @13.1.2    4 years ago

I'm sorry..... I'm a bit hard of hearing. Did you say you ditch your bra or cigar before... The devil is in the details. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @13.1.1    4 years ago

too cute! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I wonder if the movie Ford Torino will be banned because there are a number of ethnic slurs spoken in it like "gooks", "mic", :"Poelock" etc. 

Even THESE have been used as a racial connotation - is it time to do a total remake on the English language?

GTY_oreo_cookies_tk_131016_16x9_992.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    4 years ago

Buzz,

The movie was Grand Torino and that is one of my all time faves. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14.1    4 years ago

Oooops!  I should have known better.  You DO recall all the racial slurs in it, alhough most of them were made in jest and were not taken seriously. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.1.1    4 years ago

The King Of Movie Trivia here just got busted LOL.jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
14.3  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    4 years ago

It was completely crass but I think he was portraying how someone that may be racist can change their stance just by getting to know someone.

Sometimes there are more similarities than differences.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @14.3    4 years ago

Good observation and analysis.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    4 years ago

I guess that All In The Family won't air any longer either.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15  Tacos!    4 years ago

So then, Inuit Pie?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
15.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @15    4 years ago
So then, Inuit Pie?

I prefer Interacial Pie

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @15.1    4 years ago

Now that IS an invitation... hummm.....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @15    4 years ago

Is that an invitation?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
15.2.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.2    4 years ago
Is that an invitation?

Sure, BYOP (Bring your own pie)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @15    4 years ago

How about Arctic Pie, or Polar Bar (a play on polar bear?).   Maybe those already exist.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3    4 years ago

I think there is already a product called Polar Bear.  If I remember correctly it is an ice cream square covered in chocolate.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.1    4 years ago

I think it's actually "Polar Bar"

EconomyWrap_PolarBar2.png

This is a Polar Bear

01-polar-bear-nationalgeographic_1155565.ngsversion.1532107353964.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Unless it happens to be a restaurant

Ice-cream-Shop-Bangalore-Polar-Bear-ewWdmpqY-4fdcf67021b96_regular.jpg

Or is this what you mean?

MFEU3H23OND4XAXZXCXYZXYCIM.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    4 years ago

Yes.  That one.  My memory was iffy at best in regards to the name of the product.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3    4 years ago

But it isn't a pie.  Then again cheesecake is not a cake.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.3.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.1    4 years ago

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.3.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    4 years ago

Wait a minute - WHO is gonna eat an ice cream bar with a friggin' spoon????????

Ain't ya got no class????

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    4 years ago

Or you pull a Mr Pitt and eat it with a knife and fork ......

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.8  JaneDoe  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    4 years ago

I hear you. That’s like eating a snickers bar with a knife and fork. Sheesh!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.9  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.7    4 years ago

Everyone was doing it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    4 years ago

It depends on how much it has melted.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.9    4 years ago

I know.    A great episode!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.12  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.11    4 years ago

They are all good. As I go about my days it’s amazing how many times I can say there is a Seinfeld episode about that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.13  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.12    4 years ago

I know, the depth of some of those half hour episodes is amazing.    One of my favorites was the ugly baby episode.    You had the following story lines being woven together at the same time, ugly baby, Kramer stealing lobsters, shrinkage, tomatoes George has to have, topless George’s girlfriend and he’s the only one who missed it and George intentionally poisoning his girlfriend.    And I might be missing some more .... crazy good!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.14  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.13    4 years ago

The Hampton tomatoes. On the way home George gets pelted with them from his girlfriend.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @15.3.6    4 years ago

If that ice cream bar is melting, I sure would not throw it out.   You better believe I would use a spoon.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.13    4 years ago

shrinkage

This one?

"I was in the pool!" (George)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.17  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.16    4 years ago

I know, its a fantastic episode.

The reactions to the ugly baby are classic!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.17    4 years ago

The soup Nazi is my favorite although I am sure that the episode in today's climate won't air again.  Some of my favorites are with Elaine and Putty (sp) like when she took the Jesus Fish off of his car and changed all his radio stations that were set to gospel music.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.19  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.18    4 years ago

Lol Puddy .... he was hilarious .... their interactions were priceless.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.20  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @15.3.19    4 years ago

Do you remember when Elaine put her fingers to her forehead like they were horns and yelled I think "Devil!" at him?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.21  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.20    4 years ago

Yup, good stuff

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.8    4 years ago

Don't both Trump and DeBalzio eat pizza with a knife and fork?  To each their own when it comes to food.  No matter  how you eat it, tastes just as good.  My roomie in college loved rocky road ice cream but never used a spoon.  She would use a plastic ruler.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.23  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.16    4 years ago

They shrink? Hummm

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.24  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.22    4 years ago

I don’t know how they eat their pizza. When I make it at home I sometimes have to use a knife and fork, it’s so full of delicious sauce, cheese and toppings, you almost have to.

I am still against eating snicker bars with a knife and fork though, I don’t care if it does taste the same. 😀

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.25  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.23    4 years ago

Shrink?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.26  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.23    4 years ago

According to George they do.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15.3.27  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.26    4 years ago

The human body is truly amazing. Built in "alarms" that tell you it's cold. 

Men - cold water causes shrinkage of the.........well you know

Women - On come the "headlights"

This is supposed to be funny so please take it with the humor that was intended .But it is true

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
15.3.28  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.26    4 years ago

I get it. I was just repeating Elaine when she asked, they shrink?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.3.29  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @15.3.28    4 years ago

And then she sez some thing like this:

I don't know how you guys walk around with things ..... more jocularity

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.3.30  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15.3.27    4 years ago

Shrinkage is why god gave whales, seals, etc an iggigick so that they can mate.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.3.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.3.2    4 years ago

That's a Klondike Bar

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.3.32  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.3.15    4 years ago

I like to put my Klondike Bar in a bowl, cover it with caramel syrup and eat it with a spoon

Ender
Professor Principal
15.4  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @15    4 years ago

I say just...  Alaska Bar.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @15.4    4 years ago

What about ice cream drumsticks?  Do they change because vegans, turkeys, and chickens might be offended?

Ender
Professor Principal
15.4.2  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @15.4.1    4 years ago

I heard they want to change the name of PopTarts.

Prostitutes that dress like pop stars are offended.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15.4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @15.4.2    4 years ago

Check #20.1.4 - Soup For Sluts.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
16  MonsterMash    4 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @16    4 years ago

I think you might be on the wrong article. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
17  bugsy    4 years ago

Since the left is trying to erase their history with owning slaves, founding the KKK and now trying to topple statues of their ancestors, should we also try and erase these people from history?

This same type of letter may have been sent a thousand times from a slaveholding father to his slaveholding son in mid nineteenth century American South. But William Ellison and his son, Henry Ellison, were different. William Ellison was African American, born into slavery in April of 1790 with the name April Ellison to a slave mother and white slavemaster father, Mr. William Ellison. As a young man he was apprenticed to a cotton gin maker rather than working in the fields and allowed to keep a portion of the wages he earned for his master and father, money that he later used to purchase his freedom. At the same time, he changed his name to William Ellison, after his father, to fit in with higher society. After purchasing his family, he moved to Sumter County, South Carolina and hired out other free African Americans to work in his cotton gin shop. While working, he discovered a common problem among freed slaves in the South. The expense of wages left him with a profit that would never compete with what slaveowners were earning. Wanting to move up in society, he purchased his first slaves in 1820.

By 1850, Ellison had 37 slaves while his sons owned another 16. He was one of about 180 black slave masters in South Carolina at the time, most of whom were former slaves themselves.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @17    4 years ago

"The left" didn't.  The right did.  And back then, Democrats were the right.

bugsy
Professor Participates
17.1.1  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @17.1    4 years ago
And back then, Democrats were the right.

Revisionist history...

Fail

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @17.1.1    4 years ago

Your proclamation does not make it so.

Krishna
Professor Expert
20  Krishna    4 years ago
Aren't we having enough problems with all of the renaming going on?

Do you actually think that that's a major problem?

Major corporations change names of many products all the time! (Surprised you didn't know that...)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
20.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @20    4 years ago

I agree to a point.  

Like i said earlier they can change their products names at any time and for any reason but this age of PC and sensitivity is getting too be way over the top for me.   I'd love to know how many fully blooded Inuits are bothered in the least by the name of an ice cream bar.  

I bet that percentage is very, very low.

lib50
Professor Silent
20.1.1  lib50  replied to  Sparty On @20.1    4 years ago

I just wonder how many would start caring if a product was called Whitey Wanker Dick Fixer  or PWT (Poor White Trash) Cider?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
20.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @20.1.1    4 years ago

Most likely at lot less than a product called Blackies Boner Elixir or PBBR (poor Black Brothers ripple) wine

You can keep the white on rice as well.   No skin off my cashew chicken.

Let's see whose post stays up longer and that should give you your answer.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
20.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lib50 @20.1.1    4 years ago

I actually saw this product for a male enhancer - Horney Goat Powder.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
20.1.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @20.1.3    4 years ago

This is just one of the crazy names in this link. Check it out for a few good chuckles.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
20.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JaneDoe @20.1.4    4 years ago

LMAO!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
20.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JaneDoe @20.1.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
21  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
21.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    4 years ago

That is racist.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
21.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  1stwarrior @21.1    4 years ago

I think not.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.2  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    4 years ago

Where is the NAACP when you need them?

JBB
Professor Principal
21.2.1  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @21.2    4 years ago

The NAACP is OK with this. Complainers are the KKK and Aryan Nations!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @21.2.1    4 years ago
The NAACP is OK with this. Complainers are the KKK and Aryan Nations!

True dat .... in progressive bizarro-land that is .....

JBB
Professor Principal
21.3  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21    4 years ago

Take your grievances to the Quaker Oats Company and Mars Inc...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
21.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @21.3    4 years ago

Lighten up Francis. It was a tongue in cheek post FFS.

256 This better?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
21.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21.3.1    4 years ago

NOTE TO SELF -  Stop drinking anything when you post memes.  I am running out of Windex for my monitor.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
21.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @21.3.1    4 years ago

Oatmeal with maple syrup? That actually sounds pretty good. But it needs brown sugar, too

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
22  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

I thought about chiming in, but I think both sides are covered enough. I've never been much for PC. Hate racism in all it's forms, but the PC crowd is often reaching for things to whine about.

bugsy
Professor Participates
23  bugsy    4 years ago

just-like-that833.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
24  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

And I thought that not being able to call a below street entrance cover a manhole was ridiculous. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
24.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @24    4 years ago

That one I was not aware of.  What is wrong with manhole covering?  It is essentially a cover for a man made hole for workMEN to access what is below the street.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
24.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @24.1    4 years ago

There was a city in California I think that changed anything that has/had gender specific nomenclature. yep

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
24.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @24.1.1    4 years ago

Do MEN AT WORK signs become PEOPLE AT WORK?  Is anything listed a MAN MADE become PEOPLE MADE?  I am a staunch supporter of my state, but this is a bit much.