╌>

Pence's Arizona trip was delayed by Secret Service agents getting COVID-19

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  65 comments

By:   MSN

The vice president ended up taking the trip the following day.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Secret Service agents in Arizona on Monday tested positive for COVID-19 or showed signs of illness while preparing for a trip involving Vice President Mike Pence, leading to the government postponing the trip originally planned for Tuesday to Wednesday, a government official familiar with the matter tells ABC News.

The delay was needed for the Secret Service to bring in a new team of healthy agents in to Phoenix to complete the trip, according to the official.

"The health and safety of our workforce, their families, and that of our protectees remains the agency's highest priority." Secret Service Communications Director Catherine Milhoan said in a statement.

The Washington Post first reported late Thursday that "eight to 10 agents and other officers from sister agencies" had fallen ill preparing for the Arizona trip.

On the trip, the vice president acknowledged "the dramatic rise of coronavirus cases in Arizona" while at the same time praising Gov. Doug Ducey's handling of the virus.

"Up until roughly three weeks ago, Arizona had literally set the pace in slowing the spread, in flattening the curve, and we're grateful to you, to your team," Pence told the governor. Later, he said: "The rising cases in Arizona is why I'm here."

This is the second time in nearly two weeks that agents have tested positive for COVID-19 while preparing for a presidential or vice presidential trip.

At least two agents tested positive for COVID-19 before an indoor campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, late last month.

Dozens of agents and other Secret Service personnel began to self-quarantine for 14 days after that trip due to potential exposure to those infected agents. At that time, the USSS said it would not affect operations.

"The U.S. Secret Service remains prepared and staffed to fulfill all of the various duties as required," Milhoan said in a statement on June 24. "Any implication that the agency is in some way unprepared or incapable of executing our mission would be inaccurate."

"To protect the privacy of our employees' health information and for operational security, the Secret Service is not releasing how many of its employees have tested positive for COVID-19, nor how many of its employees were, or currently are, quarantined," the statement continued.

The Secret Service employs approximately 3,200 special agents, 1,300 uniformed division officers and 2,000 support personnel.

Pence visited Florida on Thursday, the latest stop in a schedule taking him to various region particularly hard hit by the coronavirus pandemic.

ABC News' Ben Gittleson contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

I've been under the assumption that Mike Pence was simply straight-up stupid.  Now, I see that I'm the one who has been straight-up stupid.  Mike Pence is as big of a heinous and horrible individual as is Donald Trump.

DUMP TRUMP 2020!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

the political future of the walking Q-tip looks pretty bleak........, bwah ha ha, tough shit.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
the political future of the walking Q-tip looks pretty bleak

I've seen some butt-kissers in my life, but the fools surrounding Trump take the cake.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago

It would seem by now they would know that they are merely fodder to toss under the bus when he gets tired of them or don't need them anymore. Maybe the more they kiss his a$$ the more he will want to keep them. 

Talk about stupid.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago
Now, I see that I'm the one who has been straight-up stupid. 

You got that right.

Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago
You got that right.

I have no problem recognizing my short-comings.  It's truly the best way to learn from life's experiences.  

That said, piss off, Pappy.    

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.1    4 years ago

ignoring tea party morons and old birther dipshits goes hand in hand with mocking thumper boneheads

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.1    4 years ago
I have no problem recognizing my short-comings.

Most people would consider you to be an upright person, however, some here would think you to be a fool, as they would never admit to be wrong about anything, and even if evidence was presented to prove they are wrong, they would only double down that they are not wrong. Just like their God in the Oval office in the WH. And like their God, they would merely blame someone else. 

I am so very glad you are you, you are a good role model for many here. Which is more than can said for some here.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.4    4 years ago

they would never admit to be wrong about anything, and even if evidence was presented to prove they are wrong, they would only double down that they are not wrong.

Well, they just adore their leader...so they try to be just like him in their  shameless boastfulness!!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @1.2.5    4 years ago
they would never admit to be wrong about anything, and even if evidence was presented to prove they are wrong, they would only double down that they are not wrong.

That sounds like certain individuals here on NT. Some even proudly proclaim to double down on their erroneous comments or position. 

Professor Guide
1.2.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.4    4 years ago
I am so very glad you are you, you are a good role model for many here.

The check's in the mail.

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Professor Guide
1.2.8  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Krishna @1.2.5    4 years ago

I had to force myself to watch all 2 minutes and 10 seconds of that.  A cleansing barf is in my immediate future. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.7    4 years ago
The check's in the mail.

Thank you.  (it won't bounce will it?   ?? )

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @1.2.5    4 years ago
Well, they just adore their leader...so they try to be just like him in their  shameless boastfulness!!

And in that, they are not wrong that he is a dangerous man. Dangerous to America, Dangerous to Americans. And dangerous to our allies and the world all around us. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Pence has said that he will still shake hands and he won't wear a mask.  How about he goes up and shakes the hands of those SS men.  After all God will keep him safe, right?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago
How about he goes up and shakes the hands of those SS men.

...and then pence and his fundie SS detail can go to their thumper churches and infect the congregations...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago

Then a bigly party in Trump's bunker.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    4 years ago

And he'll make sure no one leaks it this time. He is still looking for the one who leaked his stay in the bunker when the protesters were out in front. He didn't like people knowing he was afraid and ran and hid in his bunker.

But, this time will be party time, and he won't want the American taxpayers to know he was using the bunker to party down in. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    4 years ago

...prepared and catered by infected McD employees.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @2.1.3    4 years ago

Indeed. And none of the party goers will dare make Trump mad by wearing a mask while at the party.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.2    4 years ago

trumpski would still be in the bunker, but he heard a rumor that melania had sent her SS bodyguard out for a luger and 5 gallon can of gas...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @2.1.5    4 years ago
melania had sent her SS bodyguard out for a luger and 5 gallon can of gas...

I guess she was not happy with the increase Hubby was willing to add to the prenup she was renegotiating for moving to the WH from the gold plated penthouse in NY after the election.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago
After all God will keep him safe, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually believes that.

Professor Guide
2.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago
Pence has said that he will still shake hands and he won't wear a mask.

What a creep.  I'm hoping he doesn't think he will be president some day.  If he bows to Trump's junk every day of his life, could you imagine him bowing to Kim Jong Un or Putin or some other dictator every day of his life (Ya know, like Trump)?  

And PS:  If he thinks Trump gives a flying fart about 'God', then he and his fellow...congregants...deserve what's headed their way.  Amen?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

From Pence's speech in Arizona.

And also, Governor, I want to thank you for your strong leadership. The steps that you’ve taken in just the past few weeks, where you’ve seen a rise in cases across Arizona; the efforts that you’ve taken to put the health of the people of Arizona first; engage the cooperation of the people of Arizona to practice the kind of hygiene and common-sense measures that we know will slow the spread is greatly to your credit and to the credit of your entire healthcare team.

So going to AZ and exposing more of the SS to the virus to deliver the bullshit seen in the quote above. 

Strong leadership from the Governor, Ducy. If anyone has kept up with the events in AZ the last thing that you can take from it is ''strong leadership''...

Living in that parallel universe causes massive brain farts which Pence just proved. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @3    4 years ago
Living in that parallel universe causes massive brain farts which Pence just proved. 

That's for sure. If Pence really had a a working brain between his two ears he would be dangerous. I knew when Trump put Pence in charge to oversee the Covid-19 situation it was a huge mistake. Having no experience or medial knowledge to be put in charge of such a huge pandemic, all he knows how to do is pray for the dead. 

So his going to these events like in AZ where he does more harm than any good by not wearing a mask or social distancing, and shaking hands, all the things that the experts have warned people not to do, then he smiles and acts like he is doing something great. That is a huge insult to those around him and those who know better. 

Pence should just hunker down in his own bunker and give sermons on the internet. At least he won't expose anymore people while acting like a brain dead fool.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1    4 years ago
If Pence really had a a working brain between his two ears he would be dangerous.

I think it's the lack of a brain that makes him dangerous.

I knew when Trump put Pence in charge to oversee the Covid-19 situation it was a huge mistake. Having no experience or medial knowledge to be put in charge of such a huge pandemic,

I think anyone who is honest enough will agree.

all he knows how to do is pray for the dead. 

He also prays as a cure for disease. Like he did for HIV. Of course, that perfectly demonstrates how someone like him can be dangerous, especially when in a position of power.

So his going to these events like in AZ where he does more harm than any good by not wearing a mask or social distancing, and shaking hands, all the things that the experts have warned people not to do, then he smiles and acts like he is doing something great. That is a huge insult to those around him and those who know better. 

And this is the guy who was head of the Covid Task Force. It boggles the mind.

Pence should just hunker down in his own bunker and give sermons on the internet. At least he won't expose anymore people while acting like a brain dead fool.

Or perhaps he should hunker down and remain silent. Giving sermons exposes people to stupidity. If there's anything worse than a plague, it's that.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.1    4 years ago

I totally agree with all you aid, Gordy. I still can't understand why Trump put Pence in charge of the Pandemic Task Force to begin with.

With nothing to qualify him in any way for the task, it was pretty unfair for Trump to dump the Task Force on Pence to start with. It was more that Trump didn't consider the pandemic that big of a deal at the time, and still don't. And he didn't want to be bothered with it, so he passed it off to Pence instead of someone with some medical background that could have at least some inkling of what was going on and what the virus was about.

Trump didn't do Pence any favors by passing the job down to him. And did an even bigger disservice to the American people by doing so as well. 

But, Pence should have gathered up some medial professionals in his Task Force who could help him with what needed to be done and how. However, Trump has made it clear that he does not want any professionals involved to counter the lies he has and is telling about the Covid-19, which has only made things worse, as people don't know who to believe. Well....at least those who are not Trump worshipers.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.2    4 years ago
I still can't understand why Trump put Pence in charge of the Pandemic Task Force to begin with.

I tend to think it was just an attempt to give Pence something to do. 

It was more that Trump didn't consider the pandemic that big of a deal at the time, and still don't. And he didn't want to be bothered with it, so he passed it off to Pence instead of someone with some medical background that could have at least some inkling of what was going on and what the virus was about.

And yet, some of his supporters consider him a "great leader?" Go figure.

Trump didn't do Pence any favors by passing the job down to him. And did an even bigger disservice to the American people by doing so as well. 

True.

But, Pence should have gathered up some medial professionals in his Task Force who could help him with what needed to be done and how.

That would make too much sense.

However, Trump has made it clear that he does not want any professionals involved to counter the lies he has and is telling about the Covid-19, which has only made things worse, as people don't know who to believe. 

When actual scientists have to correct what the Prez says, there's a problem.

Professor Guide
3.1.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.3    4 years ago
I tend to think it was just an attempt to give Pence something to do. 

I agree with that 100%!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.4    4 years ago

it keeps him away from getting painful boners in those preteen sunday school classes

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.3    4 years ago
When actual scientists have to correct what the Prez says, there's a problem.

I agree. However, Trumps followers will never believe that Trump is not always 100% right in everything he says and does. The Trump followers here on NT are a testament to that. We see it here everyday.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.6    4 years ago
Trumps followers will never believe that Trump is not always 100% right in everything he says and does. The Trump followers here on NT are a testament to that. We see it here everyday.

Indeed. Talk about keeping one's head buried in the sand. But they, they probably can't see anything past party lines. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.1    4 years ago
And this is the guy who was head of the Covid Task Force.

And IIRC, didn't  he refuse to even let the virus "Task force" meet for a month?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1    4 years ago

while acting like a brain dead fool.

It isn't an act.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @3.1.8    4 years ago
And IIRC, didn't  he refuse to even let the virus "Task force" meet for a month?

In other words, there's a pandemic, people are dying, so let's do nothing. Everybody go their own way. Right?

Professor Guide
3.1.11  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.6    4 years ago
The Trump followers here on NT are a testament to that. We see it here everyday.

Trump is making complete fools out of them and they just can't see it.  I wish I didn't care.  But I do.  

Professor Guide
3.1.12  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.9    4 years ago
It isn't an act.

Ha!!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.13  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.11    4 years ago
I wish I didn't care.  But I do

I do as well, Sister.  I feel sorry for all handicap people, and to me, the Trump guppies are mentally handicapped, as they are so easily manipulated and made complete fools by him. I relate the majority of Trumps followers to the religious cult followers that are brain washed by their leader, and will do whatever the leader tells them to do, thinking that they are blessed to be one of his sheeple. Jim Jones, David Koresh, Charles Manson and Marshall Applewhite come to mind.  

While Trumps followers may not take their own lives, I would not bet against that possibility if they are weak minded, and are being blindly detrimental to their own health, and likely that of their family as well. 

While they say 'not so', some of the things I see stated here on NT by some of Trumps die hard, devout followers do tend to indicate they are not above risking their own life, that of their own family, or that of others.

The truly sad part is, that Trump could care a monkey's fart about them, while they are blindly dedicated to him and will defend him no matter what.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.14  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.7    4 years ago
But they, they probably can't see anything past party lines.

That seems to be the only thing they care about. And we see that every day...they are out there with no face mask, shield, no social distancing, laughing on each other and care less what they take home to the innocent members of their family that may wind up killing all of them them. 

But, what the hey....they had a good time before they died. Right?    /s

Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @3    4 years ago
engage the cooperation of the people of Arizona to practice the kind of hygiene and common-sense measures that we know will slow the spread is greatly to your credit and to the credit of your entire healthcare team.

Oh no he didn't!  Tell me he didn't say 'the kind of hygiene and common sense...'.  Translation:  Don't come anywhere near me you filthy people who don't know how to cleanse yourselves!!'

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
4  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Sooooo - there is a shortage of Secret Service agents to protect the VP and POTASS? 

Gosh - whatcha gonna do?

Call Betsy DeVos and see if she knows anybody who could help out. OK - so Blackwater is gone but I'm sure Eric can find a few guys to help out.

The question is - do they were brown shirts or black.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Account Deleted @4    4 years ago

The agency has 6500 employees and 3200 special agents. There is no shortage. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    4 years ago

[removed]

Professor Guide
4.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    4 years ago
The agency has 6500 employees and 3200 special agents. There is no shortage. 

At the rate the WH is going through agents, there will be.

PS:  Not sure what Dev said, but I second it.  

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
4.1.3  Account Deleted  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    4 years ago

Depends on the infection rate.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.4    4 years ago

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.2    4 years ago

tea party goobers don't get insect puns

Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Account Deleted @4    4 years ago
Gosh - whatcha gonna do?

I'm sure Betsy has some Amway products that will help.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    4 years ago

yeah but nobody wants to put their hands where she keeps them...

Professor Guide
4.2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @4.2.1    4 years ago
yeah but nobody wants to put their hands where she keeps them...

*involuntary yuck-shimmy*

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago
As of 2010, the Service had over 6,500 employees: 3,200 Special Agents, 1,300 Uniformed Division Officers, and 2,000 technical and administrative employees. [37] Special agents serve on protective details and investigate financial, cyber, and homeland security-related crimes.

The official total in 2019 was 7,000 "plus' and there were still shortages caused by the protection teams assigned to the Trump family's many children and many residences in NYC and Mar a Lago and other East Coast locations.

The shortage was most severe in 2017 when almost 1,100 agents were overtime capped  by rule and USSS funding.  Congress approved a temporary increase of $25,100 (?) in December 2017.

Randy Alles was a Trump appointee in April 2017 and said that morale was low due to financial rules, mandatory retirements and overtime restriction with over a thousand agents often working for free.

Alles was replaced after an April 2019  incident at Mar A Lago when a Chinese national talked her way into the club, carrying a thumb drive loaded with malware.

The shortage of agents, the rules and salary caps aren't new, it started when Bush created DHS.

The Obama Admin had 31 people being protected by USSS.  The Trump Admin has 42 people under protection.

Do the math.  They are operating like the IRS or the military with unrealistic, inflexible rules.

They can always find money somewhere or in Congress, but this agency should not be run this way,

and yes, having dozens or hundreds of agents with COVID, post Covid or simply quarantining

does create shortages.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

elected officials with a net worth of $100M+ should provide their own/family members security after they leave office.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @5.1    4 years ago

Why not 2 million ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to    4 years ago
They all should pay for there own security when they leave office.

Perhaps,,, but that's neither hear nor their! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
5.1.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    4 years ago
Perhaps,,, but that's neither hear nor their!

Here, here!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    4 years ago

your sew write

Professor Guide
5.1.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @5.1    4 years ago
elected officials with a net worth of $100M+ should provide their own/family members security after they leave office.

I'm absolutely certain that there were plenty of people wanting to kick the Trump family's collective ass based on their shady business dealings alone...and that's been since Trump took the reigns from his father.  Surely they had heavy-duty pre-POTUS security.  I bet it twirls Trump's tassels to know that the federal government will be taking over that expense when he leaves office.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.6    4 years ago

congress can fix that

Professor Guide
5.1.8  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @5.1.7    4 years ago
congress can fix that

Seriously?  is there anything we, as voters/tax payers/etc, can do to facilitate the process in time to affect Trump's post-presidential perks?  

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.8    4 years ago

sure, petition congress. federal retirements and/or lifetime security for presidents is a relatively recent concept, probably like1950 to present, without looking it up. congress expanded that to include themselves, with the idea being it would circumvent self serving corruption while in office, which in most cases hasn't worked so well. citizen taxpayers being required to pay for a lifetime of protection for somebody's family that may not deserve it is definitely a grievance that could be redressed. in a more perfect type of 2nd amendment USA, no domestic protection available might encourage some elected people to be more cognizant in striving to serve the majority, instead of themselves.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.4    4 years ago

Their, their!