╌>

Tom Friedman's 'Second Civil War' Prediction Stuns Anderson Cooper

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  29 comments

By:   Sarah Rumpf (Mediaite)

Tom Friedman's 'Second Civil War' Prediction Stuns Anderson Cooper
CNN's Anderson Cooper was stunned when guest Tom Friedman predicted our country was on the brink of a "potential second civil war" on his show AC360.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Sarah RumpfSep 24th, 2020, 10:51 pm

====================================================================

CNN's Anderson Cooper was stunned when New York Times columnist Tom Friedman predicted that the country was on the brink of a "potential second civil war" during an appearance on AC360.

Cooper introduced his Thursday night segment with Friedman to discuss President Donald Trump's recent comments, in which he would not commit to the peaceful transfer of power after the election.

Friedman called Trump's comments "stunning and surprising," and added: "You know, I began my career as a journalist covering Lebanon's second civil war in its history, and I'm terrified to find myself ending my career as a journalist covering America's potential second civil war in its history."

"You really believe that?" asked an astonished Cooper.

"I think what happened in the last few days is a six-alarm fire," said Friedman, adding that he thought the danger rose to a level of "DEFCON 5," an apparent error referring to the U.S. military's "defense readiness condition" classification system, in which DEFCON 5 is the lowest, normal state of readiness and DEFCON 1 is an imminent or current nuclear war.

"The President of the United States has told us 'Either I win the election or I delegitimize the election.' Those are your choices, folks."

Friedman continued, accusing Trump of trying to "trying to break people's will — he's trying to get people to say, 'What the heck, he wants it so bad, just give it to him.'"

Friedman also called the situation "terrifying" and "the most frightening moment in my life," because Trump is "backed by a state-owned network," an apparent reference to Fox News, and "because the Republican Party has become basically a political brothel that rents itself out by the night to whoever will energize its base."

"This is a party that went into its convention with no platform, just basically said whatever Trump wants, we want," Friedman pointed out. "And I — if you're not frightened now, if you are not terrified for what could happen, it's not 'We might have a disputed election.' It is 'We are going to have a disputed election, almost certainly,' unless Trump wins, in which case I shudder to think what four more years of this would be like."

Friedman continued his excoriation of the GOP: "When you have a president without shame, backed by a party without spine, amplified by a network without integrity, and by social networks that are marinated in conspiracy theories, behind whom are a lot of armed people — if you are not frightened by this, you are not paying attention."

"So what do you do?" Cooper asked.

"There is only one thing to do," Friedman concluded. "Vote. Go out and vote. Vote for Joe Biden…There is only one tool we have. It is a tool that can work. That is to overwhelmingly vote. I have written and I will repeat: I will walk to the polls. I will crawl to the polls. I will slither to the polls, bike to the polls, hike to the polls, but I will cast my vote for Joe Biden."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Friedman continued his excoriation of the GOP: "When you have a president without shame, backed by a party without spine, amplified by a network without integrity, and by social networks that are marinated in conspiracy theories, behind whom are a lot of armed people — if you are not frightened by this, you are not paying attention."

"So what do you do?" Cooper asked.

"There is only one thing to do," Friedman concluded. "Vote. Go out and vote. Vote for Joe Biden…There is only one tool we have. It is a tool that can work. That is to overwhelmingly vote.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

There was a geographical and ideological difference for the first one - but only an ideological one this time around.  Even though liberals want stricter gun controls, I suggest that they had better make sure they arm themselves now.  Killing each other has already started in the street protests, and I wonder how long it will take to be neighbour against neighbour.  As the election approaches and Trump's numbers don't improve, I wouldn't put it past him to encourage his disciples to lessen the odds.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    4 years ago

I wonder how long the Canadian border would remain effective... 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    4 years ago
Even though liberals want stricter gun controls, I suggest that they had better make sure they arm themselves now.

from what i have been reading the last couple or so months , basically since may, the FBI has been breaking records doing background checks  for the past few months , i think it started when the riots did , so i would say people are thinking they would be better off armed , in the event that LEO becomes unavailable , of course now , there is another twist of the ideological differences . and thoughts of loosing elections.

I am so glad i am a hermit by choice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.1.2    4 years ago

Yeah, Old Hermit (Arkansas Hermit?) has the right idea as well.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    4 years ago

As the longest unguarded border in the world, it's always been fairly porous.  They did build a wall, but it wasn't much good in the summer.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    4 years ago

Effervescent snort!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    4 years ago

The Canadians do have one of the very best border patrol units in the world.

75590c0f4a5f6b76ab21813dd8b4762f.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.1.7    4 years ago

Can't open it Kavika - save it to your picture library and then post it from there.  I'll bet it's a moose.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.8    4 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.1.9    4 years ago

Hah! I KNEW there was a moose in it.  When you post pictures, etc. that way, they work okay for me.  

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.11  Account Deleted  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    4 years ago

Did they make Americans pay for it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1.11    4 years ago

:No, it was a labour of love.  However, there have been some great international snowball fights there. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Projection from Friedman.

I have a little bulletin for Friedman:

There shall be "an orderly transfer of power" in January, just as there has been "every four years since Washington was elected for a second term in 1792.”...US Senate Leader Mitch McConnell.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.2.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    4 years ago

I must have missed that Amendment in the Constitution that gives the Senate Majority Leader direct control over the Armed Forces and the Department of Justice.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Account Deleted @1.2.1    4 years ago

Contrary to what Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden is trying to sell us, Gen Mark Milley told congress that t he U.S. armed forces will have no role in carrying out the election process or resolving a disputed vote.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    4 years ago

Should we ask democratic leaders, including BLM, if they will commit to a peaceful continuation of the Trump administration should Trump win reelection?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.3    4 years ago

Great question!!

Lmao

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Account Deleted @1.2.1    4 years ago

Did you also miss the part about elections and when new Preside  are sworn in?

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.2.6  Account Deleted  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    4 years ago

I do stand corrected on one point - not only the President but the Congress can declare martial law.

If the two are in disagreement then it is settled by the Supreme Court which makes the inevitable appointment of yet one more Trump justice even more important.

Should President Trump order troops deployed to suppress insurrection around early voting polling locations, the military  would be required to obey that legal order.  (Posse Comitatus Act would not apply since there would be one sided armed conflict between protesting groups that could be argued to be "insurrection". Yes it would be disputed in the courts at a later date, but for the military, in the short run,it would be a legal order.)

The military does not get to say that they will not "play a role".

Once the military fails to obey a "legal" order from the President, we no longer have a representative democracy.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.7  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    4 years ago

Mitch McConnell is a well-established liar and cheat who has defiled good-will in the senate. Under the leadership of McConnell, the senate is a 'racket.'  A stinking 'ghetto'!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    4 years ago

And drop your absentee ballot into the designated bin. That's safer than mailing it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @2    4 years ago

Sure, as long as Trump's buddy who runs the post office doesn't "lose" it.

CB
Professor Principal
2.2  CB  replied to  pat wilson @2    4 years ago

I am taking mine down to the Secretary of State's office and 'posting.' Will take the family as needed too!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

I am legitimately worried about what will happen after this election.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    4 years ago

Just judging from the attitudes of some of the members here as being indicative of the general feelings of Americans, I sure as hell don't blame you.  I'd try to run to Canada for a while, if Canada opens its border by then. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    4 years ago

If Trump will not leave office then what will voting accomplish?  Tom Friedman is making a specious argument because Democrats have nominated a candidate who refuses to campaign.

The results of the election won't be available on election night.  And it wasn't Trump who imposed that uncertainty onto the election.  In fact, Trump is doing more to turn out the vote than has Joe Biden.

The Democratic Party started the first Civil War by blaming Abraham Lincoln for being elected.  Democrats didn't get what they wanted and Democrats started a Civil War.  If there is going to be another Civil War in the United States then Democrats will start that one, too.

Tom Friedman is only repeating history.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 years ago

Exactly!