╌>

Texas surpassed 1 million votes on first day of early voting - HoustonChronicle.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Jeremy Wallace (HoustonChronicle. com)

Texas surpassed 1 million votes on first day of early voting - HoustonChronicle.com
Texas already has more than 1 million votes cast for the presidential election, thanks to a record-breaking first day of early voting in much of the state.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

People wait in a long line outside at the Metropolitan Multi-Services Center, 1475 W. Gray St., during the first day of early voting Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020 in Houston. The line wrapped around the baseball field.Photo: Melissa Phillip, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

More than a million Texans have already cast ballots after just the first day of early voting.

And the state isn't even finished counting the first day's numbers.

Record breaking early voting, combined with unusually high mail-in ballot returns show Texas has already surpassed 1 million votes with still three more weeks of voting come.

Harris County by far had the biggest turnout on the first day, with almost 170,000 ballots cast in-person or through mail-in voting as of Wednesday morning. In 2016, Harris County had just under 130,000 ballots submitted on the first day.

Even with the long lines, voters in places like Harris County said they were determined to vote on the first day to leave nothing to chance.

"I wanted to get it out of the way," Linda Pompey said as she was leaving an early polling site of Wallisville Road on Tuesday.

Pompey said she's got kids and grandkids to take care of every day and didn't want to get risk getting sidetracked later.

Dallas County was next with almost 60,000 in-person votes cast on the first day, with at least another 30,000 votes now in from mail-in voting.

Bexar County recorded just over 33,000 votes cast in-person on the first day of early voting and has already seen more than 45,000 mail-in ballots come in. The 78,000 votes are way ahead of the 52,000 combined mail and in-person voting during the first day of early voting in 2016.

El Paso County saw one of the biggest jumps in the state with almost 34,000 votes already in through early voting and mail-in balloting. The county reported just over 19,000 combined in 2016 on the first day of voting.

Early voting in Texas runs through Oct. 30. Election Day is Nov. 3.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Dump Trump 2020!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1  CB  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Please do. Have you noticed that Donald is getting uglier—and I mean it politically. His politics wear poorly on his face! It's hard to look at that man for is face is construed with lies.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  CB @1.1    4 years ago
His politics wear poorly on his face! It's hard to look at that man for is face is construed with lies.

One can't live such a dishonest and disreputable life, and not have it show up on his face.  The face is a barometer.  He knows it's over.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago

It's sickeningly disturbing that millions of people follow after this wholly combative man who does not care one iota about anyone who tells him he is wrong—when he is wrong! I am 'turned off' to people who support Donald Trump. I simply can't abide their attitudes anymore! I was watching Wednesday's opening to the SCOTUS hearings on Amy Barrett by Lindsey Graham and I realized that this dude is barely disguising that he doesn't give a damn what liberals and secularists and "others" want out of life. He is willing to squander (my) their lives for the sake of conservatism. That's not diversity! That's not freedom! That is not liberty! Lastly, that is not law!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    4 years ago

If people understood just how much trumps words influence people with regards to covid, no one would vote for him. This graph is not a coincidence. 

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @2    4 years ago
This graph is not a coincidence. 

Damn skippy!

Dump Trump 2020!

CB
Professor Principal
2.2  CB  replied to  MrFrost @2    4 years ago

Pretty nifty and dynamic charts! I am not sure I am processing the information as fast as I should, because in part I am wowed by the charting taking place. Nice!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MrFrost @2    4 years ago

That was pretty fascinating to watch.  No surprise seeing how the party differences ended up. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Are there any results in yet or do they not say?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    4 years ago

There hadn't better be. Same reason that the vote shouldn't be called before all polls are closed. It may sway the way someone votes as no one likes to tell their friends "I voted for the loser" and that would, I am sure, sway some people.............JMHO Of course, it could work just the opposite way too. If California is still open people could, should Trump be in the lead" bring out some late voters to say "oh hell no" and vote against.

I know Cali isn't a good example but you get the drift

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    4 years ago
It may sway the way someone votes

Can you prove that? Russia spent millions every month on fake ads targeting certain groups of voters they believed would be susceptible to their misinformation campaign but conservatives cried and screamed saying it didn't matter because you couldn't prove anyone's vote was changed. How would you prove any persons vote was changed because of what would essentially be exit poll data?

If California is still open people could, should Trump be in the lead" bring out some late voters to say "oh hell no" and vote against.

There is no evidence of a large base of voters who are sitting on the sidelines till they see the vote not going the way they want would prefer, especially in this election. The lines have been drawn and we're going to have the largest voter turn out in history regardless of any early voting data. The more people who vote the less chance of being stuck with the same inept loser who bungled the response to a national emergency and has cost tens of thousands of American their lives. This Commander-incompetent is now pushing "herd immunity" though mass infection as a viable pandemic response even though it could cost upwards of 6 million more Americans their lives while at the same time is trying to kill the ACA which would turn everyone ever infected by Covid into a pre-existing condition that might be kicked off their health insurance or charged exorbitant rates. Voters know this and are voting early because their minds are already made up. You either support this embarrassing dumpster fire in the white house or you don't, there are few sitting on the fence still.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.1    4 years ago
Russia spent millions every month on fake ads targeting cer

No they didn't. 

Professor Guide
3.1.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.2    4 years ago
No they didn't.

Yes they did.   

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.2    4 years ago
No they didn't. 

Is exactly what someone who believed in the misinformation and changed their vote to dishonest Donald would say...

A Russian troll factory had a $1.25 million monthly budget to interfere in the 2016 US election

"(The Russian troll farm) created and managed social media accounts that were made to appear to be operated by real U.S. citizens. One, @TEN_GOP, was apparently retweeted by now-President Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., as well as White House counselor Kellyanne Conway and onetime deputy assistant Sebastian Gorka."

That one account had over 100,000 followers. After connecting with “a real U.S. person affiliated with a Texas-based grassroots organization,” the defendants and their co-conspirators learned that they should focus on “purple states like Colorado, Virginia, & Florida.”

Facebook Says Russian-Backed Election Content Reached 126 Million Americans

Professor Guide
3.1.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to    4 years ago
Can you copy and paste exactly where in your article it says Russia spent millions? Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, hon, but this article is about early voting in Texas.  Staying on topic would be lovely.  Thanks in advance!

Professor Guide
3.1.10  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to    4 years ago
So you can't, Thanks! by the way, I was responding to your off topic piece of crap that didn't say what you claimed. 

The Epoch Times and The BL (Beauty of Life) media have performed in concert to infiltrate social media and give support to Donald Trump.  The BL media is tied to an Asian presence known as Fulan Gong who have assisted the aforementioned trolling farms in supporting Donald Trump.  They are the ones who use the faces of real people to create fake Facebook profiles.  The Chinese tipped off the FBI about Fulan Gong, and the FBI tipped off Facebook after their investigation into the massive presence of pro-Trump trolling farms tied to Russia.  

So my off-topic piece of crap is pretty much in your face.

Source

Source

Source

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    4 years ago
Where are those cases that mueller brought against the Russians?

"Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev and Aleksandr Vladimirovich Osadchuk, the senior Russian military officials who Mueller indicted for targeting US election systems via "spear phishing," remain at-large, presumably in Russia."

"Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian political consultant who was indicted on several charges, including attempted witness tampering on behalf of Manafort, reportedly lives in a heavily guarded $2 million home outside of Moscow."

"Maria Butina was sentenced to 18 months in prison"

"Did he figure out that Hillary was behind it all like Brennan claimed in a memo to Obama?"

Considering that's a total bullshit lie, no.

"These were my notes from the 2016 period when I briefed President Obama and the rest of the national security council team about what the Russians were up to and I was giving examples of the type of access that the US intelligence community had to Russian information and what the Russians were talking about and alleging ," - John Brennan

He was not confirming, as some right wing media dumb shits claimed, that Clinton had actually approved "a proposal from one of her foreign policy advisers to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by the Russian security service."

Professor Guide
3.1.14  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to    4 years ago
And yet no mention of Russia like you claimed....so in your face!

I've complied with your requests and connected the dots for you.  Forgive me if this sounds cruel, but your inability to understand has gone beyond what I am willing to endure for the sake of the site.  Our interaction regarding this subject has come to a close.  Thank you for your participation.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    4 years ago
So no trial and no convictions of the Russians that everyone is so afraid of.

Is that what you gleaned from one Russian convicted to 18 months in prison and the rest evading extradition in Russia?

What a failure on the whole Russians probe BS

So if you're unable to extradite foreign criminals you have proven committed crimes that means the crimes didn't happen? What kind of backwards dumb shit logic is that?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    4 years ago
They’re lawyers answered the subpoenas and prepared for trial

They are?

"you knew that right"

Yes. And I also know none of that really matters considering they "remain at-large" in a country who refuses to hand them over because the vile worthless criminal piece of shit Government with a GDP less than that of California was the one who hired them in the first place.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.4    4 years ago
tly what someone who believed in the misinformation and changed their vote to dishonest Donald would say...

Did you not understand what you wrote?

Russia spent millions every month on fake ads

They spent  about $100,000 between 2015- and 2017 on Facebook advertising and the vast majority didn't mention a candidate or the election.  Remember the anti-Trump rally they organized? Or doesn't that fit your partisan narrative.

. Tiny is a vast overstatement of their ad buy and "millions per month" is laughably false.  .

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.22  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.21    4 years ago
They spent  about $100,000 between 2015- and 2017

" A notorious Russian "troll factory" had a $1.25 million budget in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election to interfere in the US political system, according to   charges filed   by the Department of Justice."

" One month before the 2016 election, the IRA was reportedly operating on a monthly budget of at least $1.25 million ."

It seems we've come to that inevitable crossroads where spending anymore time debunking your bullshit just wastes my time and obviously isn't going to change any deluded half wit Trump supporters minds.

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” - Mark Twain

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.23  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.14    4 years ago

Why does the person you are responding to have no name?

Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    4 years ago
Are there any results in yet or do they not say?

The only thing being reported is that democrats have made up the majority of Texas voters so far.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    4 years ago

The long lines are a clear indication that voters do not trust mail-in voting.

This is a repudiation of Democrat's politicization of voting.  Voters aren't believing Democrats; they are listening to Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 years ago

Thanks to trumpturd and Dejoy creating all the havoc and confusion

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    4 years ago
Thanks to trumpturd and Dejoy creating all the havoc and confusion

Voters aren't buying what Democrats have been saying.  They're standing in lines at polling places, not at mail boxes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.1    4 years ago

No, the voters aren't buying what trumpturd has been saying

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    4 years ago

Well THAT certainly makes sense......................or not

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.1    4 years ago

Democrats are in the line because they know that Trump and his cronies have been doing whatever they possibly could to suppress mail-in ballots.  If there are Republicans in the line, it's because Trump told them to vote twice and they've already sent in their mailed ballots.

Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 years ago
This is a repudiation of Democrat's politicization of voting.  Voters aren't believing Democrats; they are listening to Trump.

Politicization of voting?  Sorry, but one can't vote in an election, especially a presidential election, without considering their personal preferences in politics.

The long lines are a clear indication that voters do not trust mail-in voting.

Not with Trump at the wheel.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    4 years ago
Politicization of voting?  Sorry, but one can't vote in an election, especially a presidential election, without considering their personal preferences in politics.

Well, if you want to play the bar game of pedantic semantics, Democrats politicized the process of casting ballots.

Democrats have been advocating the idea that casting ballots at polling stations is unsafe and the idea that mail-in ballots are secure and reliable.  Voters are repudiating both those Democratic ideas by standing in line at polling stations to cast a ballot.

The long lines at polling stations really is a repudiation of Democrats' fear mongering and promises.  The voters are not trusting what Democrats have been saying.  Voters are listening to Trump and not listening to Democrats.  The voters are standing in line at polling stations; not at the Post Office.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.1    4 years ago

Mere doubletalk.

Democrats have advocated for 'all of the above' for those in shape to perform individually, collectively, accordingly. I will leave it up to conservatives to explain what diversity in voting up to election day Donald is advocating!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.4  Nerm_L  replied to    4 years ago
‘never have so many words meant so little to so few.’

Yes, that's what the long lines waiting to cast a ballot indicate.  Democrats have said much and done so little.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @4.2.3    4 years ago
Democrats have advocated for 'all of the above' for those in shape to perform individually, collectively, accordingly. I will leave it up to conservatives to explain what diversity in voting up to election day Donald is advocating!

Voters are doing what Trump advocated.  Voters are showing up at the polls and are casting ballots that must be counted.  Whoever those ballots favor, the result will be certain. 

Professor Guide
4.2.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to    4 years ago
‘never have so many words meant so little to so few.’

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
4.2.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.4    4 years ago
Yes, that's what the long lines waiting to cast a ballot indicate.  Democrats have said much and done so little.

Are you impaired in a way about which I should exhibit more concern?  If not, please stop being a pain in my ass.

And PS:  It took me 45 minutes to vote yesterday.  

Professor Guide
4.2.8  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.1    4 years ago
Well, if you want to play the bar game of pedantic semantics, Democrats politicized the process of casting ballots

Oy.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.9  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.5    4 years ago

Voters could give two shakes of Donald Trump overly-stiff hair when it comes to voting. Any resemblance to voting early is because it is available and this election specifically in and of itself matters to the health, welfare, and life of said individuals. Conservatives can spin, and pat themselves on the head, neck and shoulders all they want, but everybody (who cares) know conservatives were advocating for election day, a single day, vote count and not 'this.'

I am 'advertising' via revolving avatar that I have walked my vote into the office of the Secretary of State! I did it because it is an option presented to me as a mail-in/ drop off step to voting (early). And believe me, nothing about my vote is an furtherance of Donald J. Trump or his tired, wretched, 'messaging.'

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Notwithstanding the polls, the Republican/conservative/Trumpster members of NT are so positive Trump is going to win as indicated by their articles and comments, so are they SO sure that they will promise to delete their membership on NT and never re-apply if their hero should lose?  Remember, even if Trump loses he will find a way for his conservative SCOTUS to reinstate him, so you're very safe making that promise. 

If they don't make that promise, that means that deep down they know that Trump really is a goner. 

Democrats/liberals/Biden supporters need not make that promise because they are not that sure, because they are concerned that even though Trump won't get a majority vote, he will find some devious way to stay in the W.H., whether through cheating with his Republican governor cronies to fix the electoral college or by means of lawsuits that will end up before a SCOTUS friendly to him.