Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  57 comments

By:   ABC News

Members of Trump Cabinet discussing invoking 25th Amendment: Sources

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Members of Trump Cabinet discussing invoking 25th Amendment: Sources

JOHN SANTUCCI, KATHERINE FAULDERS, EMILY SHAPIRO and JONATHAN KARL
Wed, January 6, 2021, 7:18 PM EST

There have been discussions among some members of the Trump Cabinet and allies of President Donald Trump about the 25th Amendment, which would be a vehicle for members of the cabinet to remove Trump from office, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the discussions tell ABC News.

It is unclear how extensive these conversations have been or if Vice President Mike Pence is supportive of such action. Many have been horrified by Wednesday's events and Trump's encouragement and lack of engagement to call in resources to stop the protesters, the sources said.

Trump has only 14 days left in office, but some lawmakers want his presidency over sooner, calling for his impeachment in the wake of Wednesday's violence on Capitol Hill that left at least one woman dead.

Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., announced that she's drawing up articles of impeachment, tweeting: "We can’t allow him to remain in office, it’s a matter of preserving our Republic and we need to fulfill our oath."

f48478c73d98bbd9ed3b7bf6f183f1a3

PHOTO: Supporters of US President Donald Trump protest inside the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, in Washington, DC. Demonstrators breeched security and entered the Capitol as Congress debated the a 2020 presidential election Electoral Vote Certification. (Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images)

543b630f9da986d88c4abbb891e7ba5b

PHOTO: Supporters of President Donald Trump climb on walls at the U.S. Capitol during a protest against the certification of the 2020 U.S. presidential election results by Congress, in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (Jim Urquhart/Reuters)

Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., called for Trump's removal through the 25th Amendment, which was ratified in 1967 in the wake of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and lays out the procedures for replacing the president in the event of death, removal, resignation or incapacitation.

MORE: What happens if Trump becomes incapacitated? The 25th Amendment could kick in.

"Trump is directly responsible for this insurrection and violence. He needs to be removed from office immediately. It is the Constitutional responsibility of Vice President Pence and the cabinet to exercise the power granted them by the 25th amendment," Moulton tweeted. "Or Congress must immediately impeach and remove the President for the safety of our nation."

Rep. Charlie Crist, D-Fla., agreed.

Other lawmakers also called for Trump's removal from office.

In a tweet Wednesday evening, Trump falsely claimed: "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long."

"Go home with love & in peace," the president wrote. "Remember this day forever!"

That tweet has since been removed.

1ba2625a96b2c67b7484abefa4507149

PHOTO: Police clear the U.S. Capitol Building with tear gas as supporters of President Donald Trump gather outside, in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (Stephanie Keith/Reuters)

bda5da1c108a574b0ce1364c921d70bf

PHOTO: Police officers in riot gear line up as protesters gather on the U.S. Capitol Building, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington, D.C. (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

Earlier in the afternoon, Trump, in a video posted to Twitter, falsely said, "We had an election that was stolen from us," baselessly calling it a "fraudulent election."

"I know how you feel. But go home and go home in peace," Trump said, adding: "We love you. You're very special."

Twitter responded by saying that it's blocking Trump's video from being replied to, retweeted or liked "due to a risk of violence."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

"Trump is directly responsible for this insurrection and violence. He needs to be removed from office immediately. It is the Constitutional responsibility of Vice President Pence and the cabinet to exercise the power granted them by the 25th amendment," Moulton tweeted. "Or Congress must immediately impeach and remove the President for the safety of our nation."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

They need to start calling these QANon whackjobs and insurrectionists protesters and call them the domestic terrorists that they are.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

I have no problem labeling QAnon and other Alt right groups that plot insurrection domestic terrorists; as long as BLM and Antifa get labeled as such.

Of course that is a non starter for the Democrats- they need to protect their sacred left wing Brown Shirts.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.1  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    3 years ago

hmmmm.... One group (QAnon) is calling for live streaming the hanging of the Vice President of the US for not usurping the election yesterday while the other group (BLM) doesn't want to be shot by police while drive black. Yeah... totally the same thing. /s

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @2.1.1    3 years ago

Don't bother. It is false equivalency and whataboutism all day long with him, anything to actually avoid discussing what happened yesterday.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.2    3 years ago

All they got is projection, deflection, denial

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago
Members of Trump Cabinet discussing invoking 25th Amendment

One can only hope so, because they should.   The symbolism of this is important.  The USA should come down hard on a rogue PotUS.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

The world sees what happened yesterday quite clearly

7c55f5f1-50f5-11eb-bbb7-cb5002d4d9f2
United States. (via Kiosko.net)
7c60cb60-50f5-11eb-bbfe-6bbcc0f0c83e
Brazil. (via Kiosko.net)
7c53ac02-50f5-11eb-beab-2d14060b3905
7c55f5f7-50f5-11eb-b9fd-52f2c9b0ce62
Spain. (via Kiosko.net)
7c55f5f0-50f5-11eb-bf77-c20233ec4c5c
7c60cb63-50f5-11eb-bd4e-04265dd71ae2
France. (via Kiosko.net)
7c55f5f4-50f5-11eb-b5d3-fbccf452536e
7c53ac00-50f5-11eb-9e67-ceb72ab6302b
7c5336d0-50f5-11eb-bf5f-7c956c01760c
Argentina. (via Kiosko.net)
7c53ac01-50f5-11eb-943f-cefa704ec480
e4f0e250-50fa-11eb-bc9f-f5be07e15ae5
Canada. (via Kioslo.net)
e4f0bb40-50fa-11eb-bfaf-be645f7629b5
United States. (via Kioslo.net)
285cdd00-50fb-11eb-b4fc-72b652dc5716
Turkey. (via Kioski.net)
7c60cb62-50f5-11eb-afcf-168b2ffc9605
7c5336d2-50f5-11eb-8ffe-5cf4ea14eb1c
France. (via Kiosko.net)
7c5336d1-50f5-11eb-ad6f-e2eb60ca9327
7c55f5f3-50f5-11eb-af9f-747c9419cf05
United Kingdom. (via Kiosko.net)
7c55f5f6-50f5-11eb-af7f-dd8cee9a1fbf
7c55f5f2-50f5-11eb-bc7f-2f9535fe0bd9
Italy. (via Kiosko.net)
7c55f5f5-50f5-11eb-bf1b-709ce6155368
7c60cb61-50f5-11eb-bdfd-668c24146c96
United Kingdom. (via Kiosko.net)

_____

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @4    3 years ago

Trump continues to make the US an international embarrassment.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    3 years ago

The person wearing the horned headgear is said to be some sort of Shaman. He is not.

A true Shaman would never do what he and his fellow rioters have done to  our Capitol, nor anywhere else. A true Shaman's work is saving lives and healing the Spirit. The exact opposite of what the so called Shaman of the rioters was doing. 

JMOO

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Raven Wing @5    3 years ago

He has been identified as an unemployed actor in AZ who attends a lot of political functions with hopes of enhancing his acting career through the media exposure.  His name is Jake Angeli -

QAnon conspiracy theorists  believe  Donald Trump  is in a secret war against elite Satan-worshipping paedophiles in government, business and the media who will one day be arrested and executed.

Jake, who previously identified as a singer and actor, claims he is able to "see into these other higher dimensions that these entities — these pedophiles, these rapists, these really high up people.”

A filmed interview has emerged of the tattooed oddball, who has gained a following spouting QAnon conspiracy theory online.

Jake said: "As a shaman, I am like a multi-dimensional or hyper dimensional being, ok."

He claims he is able to "see into these other higher dimensions that these entities — these pedophiles, these rapists, these really high up people.

He added: "And most people can't see that because the third eye ain't open."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    3 years ago

He's a whackjob tRump supporter domestic terrorist, plain and simple . . . . . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    3 years ago

It is an interesting take to say that one of the most visible thugs who got into the Capitol Building only does it for the publicity.  That is what a lot of people have said about Trumps political career.  Why did people vote for a narcissistic reality tv game show host anyway ? 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    3 years ago
It is an interesting take to say that one of the most visible thugs who got into the Capitol Building only does it for the publicity.

After what he was a part of on January 6, 2021, his acting career, as well as most any other, will be down the tubes. He will be persona non grata, considered a traitor to America, and a may even face legal action against him. He will likely find it hard to be exposing himself safely in public for his actions in the rioting and attack on the Capitol Bldg.

He may find it hard to find any work here in America unless he changed his appearance and manner of speaking. The only acting he may find is when he is in the shower. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

First Congressional Republican Openly Calls For Removing Trump With 25th Amendment

Sara Boboltz
·Reporter, HuffPost
Thu, January 7, 2021, 11:10 AM EST

Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois became the first Republican member of Congress to openly call for President Donald Trump’s removal using the 25th Amendment, saying it was necessary to “end this nightmare” following Wednesday’s deadly insurrection on Capitol Hill.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @6    3 years ago

Great idea, but just too little too late....... 

Imagine if congressional republicans would have done their duty a year ago December and impeached Trump.....  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    3 years ago

It would prohibit him from every running for any office again, so I say DO IT!.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    3 years ago

Can we add the surgery to install a zipper in the gash below his nose?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    3 years ago

Yeah, I know - imagine if Congress had supported his administration four years ago . . . . .

Nah - too much Stephen King - doing what you're supposed to do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.2    3 years ago

Superglue would be better as zippers can be unzipped.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1.3    3 years ago

Hi 1st..... If the guy had kept the tweeting to a minimum, and dealt with the pandemic, Trump would have gotten a second term.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7  Snuffy    3 years ago

I'm not so sure about the 25th Amendment. From what I read, if they invoke it Trump can immediately call for a continuance which gives him 8 days. As it's only 13 calendar days until inauguration day there may not be sufficient time.  With all the people from the White House who are resigning it's going to get harder for the administration to do it's job. And there is not enough time for Trump to nominate new people for cabinet positions and get them thru the Senate. It might stop the bleeding if Trump were to just resign now.

But something else that I've not seen anybody talk about either. IMO, Trump's actions yesterday have killed his chances at running again in 24. His actions yesterday were in my opinion not the actions of a mature stable person. Definitely not the type of person I would want on the nuclear button.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @7    3 years ago
Trump's actions yesterday have killed his chances at running again in 24.

A rational mind would think so.   But we clearly have many irrational voters.   Anyone who continues to insist that this election was stolen is likely of a mindset to want to vote for Trump in 2024.   And the R party has shown in 2016 that they cannot stop a popular candidate from winning the nomination even if said candidate is horrible for the party.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    3 years ago

All any opposition has to do is loop the footage of his words with the Capital Building riot over and over again. I'm pretty sure there are Lincoln Project Republicans editing footage as we type to primary the likes of Hawley, Cruz and Gaetz.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    3 years ago
And the R party has shown in 2016 that they cannot stop a popular candidate from winning the nomination even if said candidate is horrible for the party.

They can, but they lacked the will in 2016. In fact, in 2020, I would say we saw the Democratic party do precisely what the Republicans failed to do in 2016 when they got several candidates to pull out of the primaries so that Biden could be the nominee instead of Bernie Sanders.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.2    3 years ago

If the D party had let Sanders win the nomination, that would be equivalent to what the R party did in 2016 with Trump.

In 2016, the R party (the establishment) did not want Trump.   They fought to try to stop him and then gave up.   The fought him during his first couple of years and then acquiesced.   Now they own him and all his baggage.

Similarly, the D party establishment did not want Sanders.   They engaged in tactics (e.g. super delegates) in 2016 to ensure Clinton was the nominee.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.3    3 years ago

Yes, that is what I am saying.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @7    3 years ago
Trump's actions yesterday have killed his chances at running again in 24.

I think, at least in the short term, killed any changes he has at much other than part time OANN commentator. I think he screwed himself biggly. He can't even stand in the wings and be the voice of the Party anymore. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  evilone @7.2    3 years ago

And he will find he is banned by all major media so that he can never revise his reality ego builder 'Apprentice' again, which he said he wanted to do after he leaves the WH. Good luck with that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    3 years ago

There seems little point with only two weeks to go. In the time it would likely take to pull it off, he will already be gone.

Either way, the 25th is not supposed to apply unless "the president is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office." Ultimately, being a political issue, "unable" will mean whatever Congress says it means. However, just going by the plain meaning of the word, I think Trump seems perfectly able to discharge his powers and duties. Although I would say that he often seems unwilling to do his job or he does his job poorly, that is not quite the same as "unable."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @8    3 years ago

They would question his rationality.   I do not see this happening, but I am sure it would be an allegation of an impaired mental state.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @8.1    3 years ago

I thought that myself, that his actions such as irrational denial of the election result, irrational call to the Georgia Secretary of State, and now inciting the insurrection should surely be evidence of a level of insanity that makes keeping him in a position of such power a clear and present danger to the nation.  He should be threatened with the 25th Amendment and given the choice to immediately resign.  I have stated elsewhere why resigning would be his smartest move, but I doubt that he's smart enough to choose to do so. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    3 years ago

His ego will not allow resignation.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.1.3  Freewill  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.2    3 years ago
His ego will not allow resignation.

No way!  Plus he probably loathes Pence at this point too, so he'd never want to see him in the Oval office again either.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    3 years ago
but I doubt that he's smart enough to choose to do so. 

And I am sure Giuliani and Flynn would be there to encourage him to not resign, to keep fighting to keep his Oval office at any cost or action necessary to do so.  /s  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    3 years ago

I just heard a statement made on a news broadcast and don't know if it is correct.  Someone said that if he is impeached for what he has just done, inciting insurrection, even it it is necessary to carry the process beyond Biden's inauguration, IT WOULD PREVENT TRUMP FROM EVER SEEKING OFFICE AS POTUS AGAIN.  If that is correct then DO IT.   Keep in mind that in 2024 Biden will be 82.  Biden would START a second term at age 82.  Although I'm of the opinion that Trump has been becoming more and more irrational, a sign of insanity, he still got almost 75 million votes and I think he will find a way, perhaps with a medium, to maintain his base.  Take into consideration the number of his supporters, who STILL support him even now, some even are members of this very social news site, so it is absolutely necessary to make certain that Trump can never run for the presidency again.  Therefore, if what I heard is correct, PLEASE impeach him.  If the necessary votes from congress happen when the Democrats control the Senate, all the better.  The man is not only a danger to the USA, he is a danger to the whole world. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.5    3 years ago

There is no time to impeach and convict.   It is not possible.

I doubt if there is time to use the 25th in Congress.   There is time for it to be used by Trump's cabinet.   But that will not happen either because such an action takes balls and I cannot imagine the remaining sycophants in Trump's cabinet taking such an initiative.

The most likely scenario is that Trump will leave the building on the 20th and then deal with his certain ensuing legal problems.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.6    3 years ago

I think the leaders from both sides of Congress and Pence need to get together and make a deal. Allow Trump to issue a pardon for his children, resign and Pence issues a pardon for him, and congressional leadership agrees to not pursue action against Trump.  Maybe a deal like that?  It would allow him to save a little face, allow for him & his children to not worry about retaliation from the federal government and get him out of the office faster.  Otherwise I agree with you, I don't believe there is enough time for anything else.  And for the cabinet using the 25th, Pence said yesterday that he's against using the 25th this way.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8.1.8  pat wilson  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.7    3 years ago

Why do he and his children need pardons ? There's a number of members here that always ask what he did wrong and tell people to be specific.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.8    3 years ago

Leverage to make the deal more palatable. There have been people who have been calling for investigations and such into his children in the WH, this may help "grease" the wheels of the deal.  I'm thinking big picture here, offering a large enough deal that the 'deal maker' feels he got the better end of the deal.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.8    3 years ago
Why do he and his children need pardons ?

I doubt that he does, but there has been non-stop rhetoric for four years that they are all criminals and should be prosecuted, so I wouldn't be surprised if some prosecutor follows through. People buy into that propaganda just like the other side buys into the idea that the election was stolen. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.11  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.5    3 years ago

Not just impeached,  he must be impeached AND convicted in the Senate. I'm not sure about the constitutionality of it however. Impeachment is to remove a sitting president from office. If he has already left the office due to his term ending can he still be impeached? 

That's why I said that I think the better approach is for leadership of both parties to get together with Pence and offer Trump a deal around pardons for him resigning. News is reporting that the Democrats plan to introduce Impeachment on Monday. If they do that, it's only 9 days left until he leaves office anyway, is there enough time to impeach and convict?  I doubt it.  Offering him a deal with an agreement to not press for federal charges in the future may work.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.7    3 years ago

That would resolve any problems he has with federal crimes, but it won't help him if NY decides to indict him

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.11    3 years ago

Why must the impeachment/conviction process terminate when he leaves office if it has been started during his tenure and if what I read is correct that the process can continue notwithstanding, and its success would prevent his ever qualifying to serve (what a joke that word is in HIS case) as POTUS again?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.14  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.13    3 years ago

I'm not a constitutional scholar so I don't know for sure. From what I read it's another unanswered question on if a president can be impeached and tried after he has left office. Undoubtedly it would go to SCOTUS to be answered. All that takes time which is why I still feel a better solution would be to appeal to his ego and offer him a deal involving pardon for resignation. There are several people including some Democratic leadership in Congress who appear doubtful that impeachment and trial could be concluded before he leaves office on the 20th. Until that time, even if impeached in the House, he is still the president with full powers of the office. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.15  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.10    3 years ago
"I doubt that he does"

He most definitely does

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8.1.16  pat wilson  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.9    3 years ago

Doesn't one who is to be pardoned need to be already accused or convicted of a crime ? Wouldn't it be premature to issue a pardon before a crime is committed ?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.16    3 years ago

Yes.   There is no such thing as a blanket pardon.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.14    3 years ago

Don't concern yourself about not being a constitutional scholar, not being an American I'm sure I know less about the Constitution and Amendments than pretty well everyone else on this site.  However, if impeachment and conviction does mean he would be disqualified from ever being candidate for POTUS again, I would hope that it be pursued if it is at all legally possible to do so. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.19  Snuffy  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.16    3 years ago

Not necessarily.  In 74 Congress had accused Nixon of obstruction of justice in the Watergate investigation. But Ford gave him a full pardon for any and all crimes against the United States. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.14    3 years ago

If you're not a constitutional scholar, I'm a lot less familiar with your constitution than an American High School student, but what I think is this:  I have read or heard is that being brought Monday, it could be voted on as early as Tuesday, and it it were to be successful, prosecution need not be completed while he is still a sitting POTUS.  So if he is not removed before January 20th noon because of a prosecution not yet being successful Pence will not be in a position to pardon him and Trump's being able to pardon himself is surely questionable. More and more Republican lawmakers are joining those against him, so it is possible to get a 2/3 majority in the Senate, because the Republican Senators just might be sensitive to what their electorate might want, and their careers might end if they continue to back the man who incided insurrection and disgrace upon America's democracy,

In my opinion, the goal of a successful prosecution is damned important, because it will mean, from what I understand, is that he can never take public office again.  That will stifle the Trump24 idiots, and most likely discourage a lot of his continuing supporters, which will be a step towards America reaching normalcy again. If he rssigns on January 19, and Pence pardons him, he will be able to run again in 2024, be able to maintain his base, and that will be a disaster America does not need. 

At this time there is division among Republicans concerning this matter, and the Trumpians are advising the Democrats that invoking impeachment proceedings will be even MORE divisive for America.  What I believe is that those who are still backing Trump are being divisive of the Republican Party, and if there is a divide into two parties, or continuing division between its members, it will he a long time before Republicans will gain a position of control again. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.21  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.20    3 years ago

I don't know if  you can read Fox News over there, but Andrew McCarthy has an excellent opinion piece on this.  

Part of his rational for not doing an impeachment is :

Under Senate rules, a presidential impeachment largely shuts down all other business until the trial has been completed. 

Here is the problem: President-elect Biden’s new administration would be taking power on Jan. 20. None of its Cabinet nominees has yet been confirmed, to say nothing of the hundreds of other sub-cabinet level officials who make the government function on a daily basis.  

Furthermore, we are in the middle of a pandemic and a time of great economic stress for millions of Americans. As illustrated by Russia’s recent cyber-espionage against government departments, our adversaries are testing us. China, Iran, North Korea – they are all poking and prodding, calculating whether we are too unstable, at the moment, to defend America’s interests, making the world increasingly dangerous.   

In sum, this would be a terrible time to suspend the business of government, and to put a new administration way behind in its capacity to stand up and function. And we’d be doing it for no better reason than to impeach a president who is no longer president.  

I can understand the desire of those who want impeachment, but IMO it does nothing to heal the divide in the country. The extreme left will view this as retribution, the extreme right will view this as persecution. While impeachment in the House and conviction in the Senate would prevent Trump from ever running for high office in the future, I have to wonder what sort of chance he would have anyway. While 70+ million people voted for him back in November, the majority of them are more centrist rather than radical and I'm not so sure he could bring in the same kind of votes. I don't even know if the Republican Party would consent to him being the candidate again or if they would pull a DNC move and push another potential into the party candidate position. Have to remember that the Republican party like the Democratic party is a private organization and can craft/follow their own rules to a greater extent. 

I said it before and I still believe it.  Trump considers himself to be a deal maker, so craft a deal. I think if the leadership in Washington (both Democrats and Republics in Congress, VP Pence and President elect Biden) craft a deal where President Trump agrees to resign and agrees to never run for political office again, once VP Pence is given the oath and made president his first act would be to pardon President Trump and the leadership in Congress and Biden agree to not investigate or prosecute Trump or his family for federal crimes from past actions..  It might be a deal that Trump would agree to as it allows him to save face (so he's not the first President to be impeached twice), and it clears out an area of concern for his future.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.22  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.21    3 years ago

NO fucking way!  Why should tRump be allowed to get away with all of his crimes?  What a bullshit deal.  No deals.  Impeach his ass.  There is also the SDNY to consider once tRump is out of office.  Fuck tRump.  He brought this all on himself.  Why should be allowed to get away with it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.23  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.7    3 years ago

Why the fuck should we pardon tRump or his children for their multiple crimes?  NO FUCKING WAY!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.24  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.22    3 years ago
There is also the SDNY to consider once tRump is out of office

The SDNY is a federal district court whose geographic jurisdiction encompasses eight counties of New York State. So the deal I proposed would include that. It would not include any investigations that are running by the State of New York. 

As far as getting away with anything, I am just pointing out what I think is better for the country. As neither you or I are in a position of power and authority in Washington, nothing that we say will have any impact on what Congress and Biden do. I only suggest an approach that I think may be beneficial for the country itself.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.25  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @8.1.24    3 years ago

That's absolutely ridiculous.  That's the only reason he was running for 'president' again in the first place, along with being a billion dollars in debt.

To be allowed to get away with EVERYTHING that he has done including in NY, is ridiculous, ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

To be white in America means you can storm the Capitol — and take selfies with police

Dorian Warren
Thu, January 7, 2021, 3:27 PM EST

Oh to be white in America.

To be white in America means you can jump police barricades, storm the cradle of our democracy and even angrily confront police and the officers take selfies with you.

On Wednesday, I listened as sirens blared outside my Washington apartment, within walking distance of the Capitol. Along with the rest of America, I watched the most astounding images on television and social media of violent instigators.