╌>

Bill Belichick turns down Presidential Medal of Freedom from Donald Trump, cites Capitol attack

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  23 comments

By:   Jason Owens

Bill Belichick turns down Presidential Medal of Freedom from Donald Trump, cites Capitol attack
Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Bill Belichick cited "great reverence for our nation's values" in turning down the president. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Belichick cited the attack in his announcement.

“Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients,” Belichick wrote. “Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.

“Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team.

“One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions. Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Trump has awarded the medal 25 times since taking office, including 14 times to sports figures. Golfers   Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam drew criticism   last week for accepting the medal in a closed-door ceremony less than 24 hours after the attack on the Capitol that left five dead and sent senators and representatives fleeing for safety.

Trump   urging his supporters to march on the Capitol   in a speech before the attack that ransacked the institution. The horde invaded the Capitol in an effort to subvert the electoral college vote certifying President-elect Joe Biden as Trump’s successor. Biden will be sworn into office on Jan. 20.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The Patriots did not visit the White House amid an increasingly hostile political climate following their 2019 Super Bowl victory.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Trump has also awarded the honor to political allies and right-wing extremists Rush Limbaugh, Rep. Jim Jordan and Rep. Devin Nunes, decisions considered by many an affront to nation’s highest civilian honor.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago

trump has shit on the honor of receiving the medal.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    3 years ago

What person of character would want an honor bestowed by Trump?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    3 years ago

Even the dog he awarded one doesn't want it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

After Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam, both professional golfers going to the WH the day after the insurrection by white supremacists to accept the Medal of Freedom, it's refreshing to see someone that has America at heart. 

Kudos to Bill B.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @4    3 years ago

Those two players will find out that their medals and five bucks will only get them a cup of coffee.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    3 years ago

Wise move.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

The Medal of Freedom has become a silly, political thing.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

But it shouldn't have and shouldn't be....

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

Thanks to Trump.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

It has and that's a damn shame

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Bill Bellichek has been a "friend" of Trump up til now, which makes his refusal probably even more meaningful. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

What do you wanna bet he offers it to Brady and Brady accepts? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1    3 years ago

Not taking that bet. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

trmp is crying in his diet coke

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Yeah, Trump has made me see that award as being completely meaningless since he has mainly just awarded it to loyalists, friends, or people who he desires to be associated with. Not to anyone who have actually done anything beneficial for society.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Bellichek is a true "Patriot". 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    3 years ago

jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
10  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Oops.  Sorry Krish.  I didn't know you beat me to it.  Deleting mine now.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Bravo, Mr Belichik.