╌>

Chicago Or The North Pole?

Category:  Environment/Climate

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  49 comments

Chicago Or The North Pole?

It's been a cold February in Chicago this year. So far the fourth coldest on record, with an average temperature of 15 degrees. The average has been brought up though by a few 35 degree days at the beginning of the month. Since February 4th the daytime temperature has struggled to make it into double digits, and right now the temperature here (not the wind chill) is a bone chilling 1 degree.  We are supposed to make it into the low teens some time this afternoon, when the 8 - 12 inches of new snow starts to fall. There was a heavy snow two weeks ago (14 inches) and very little of it has melted . Frozen ? Yes. Melted? No.  The wind chill tomorrow morning is predicted to be -20.  It is supposed to warm up and temperatures into the 30's this coming weekend. 

How is the weather in your neck of the woods?

OIP.gqH6VRGNCkDi8U-tdh_3pAHaDt?w=319&h=175&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

gettyimages-1065426172.jpg?w=1500

=========================================================================================

related

chicago.suntimes.com   /2021/2/14/22283148/chicago-weather-forecast-snow-wind-chill-temperatures-homeless-midway-ohare

Chicago weather: Frozen Chicago could see a foot or more of snow by Tuesday

Tom Schuba

5-6 minutes

Already locked in a deep freeze, Chicago could see up to a foot — or more — of new snowfall Monday.

Snow was expected to start falling Sunday night and could continue until Tuesday night, the National Weather Service said.

It will hit as Chicago is trying to recover from a brutally cold weekend. With highs in the single digits, workers from the Night Ministry were out and about on Sunday, checking on homeless individuals and offering help.

After an expected dusting of less than an inch Sunday, lake-effect snow on Monday will bring about 7 to 15 inches at Midway Airport, the weather service said. More snow likely will follow Tuesday. A foot is expected at O’Hare Airport.

Fifteen inches “is probably on the high end of things there, but there will be some areas that will likely see around a foot when this is all done,” said meteorologist Kevin Donofrio, noting that lake-effect snowfall totals can vary.

Meanwhile, Sunday’s high temperature peaked at just 4 degrees, breaking the record for the lowest high temperatures on Valentine’s Day — 8 degrees, recorded in 1943. Nighttime temperatures could dip as low as -7, with wind chills potentially dropping to -28, the weather service reported.

NIGHTMINISTRY_021521_02.jpg Stephen Koruba, a nurse practitioner with the Night Ministry, prepares to check on Marcus Carter at an encampment near South Michigan Avenue and East Illinois Street on Sunday. Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

In those temperatures, frostbite is possible in fewer than 10 minutes, the weather service warned. Temperatures aren’t expected to climb above freezing until next Sunday.

Amid the lengthy deep-freeze, teams of outreach workers fanned out across the city this weekend to offer assistance to homeless Chicagoans.

Stephan Koruba, a nurse practitioner with the Night Ministry, stopped at encampments and other sites Sunday to ensure homeless individuals aren’t suffering from frostbite or hypothermia and offer blankets, gloves, hand warmers and food to those weathering the cold.

“These folks are socially isolated by definition,” Koruba said while working under a viaduct near Lower Michigan Avenue and Illinois Street. “Just for instance, you come up to someone sleeping and you’re not even sure they’re sleeping under that stack of clothes. You’ve gotta try to get to them before it becomes dangerous and they lose their life.”

NIGHTMINISTRY_021521_05.jpg Stephen Koruba (left) speaks to Marcus Carter at an encampment near South Michigan Avenue and East Illinois Street on Sunday. Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

Marcus Carter, 50, originally from the Near West Side, was among those accepting help from Koruba and his team Sunday. Carter, who lost his home when his mother died last January, noted living on the streets this past year has been “terrible” and said he has been seeking a pathway out of homelessness.

“I just got on Social Security. I want an apartment, man,” he said. “I’ll pay anything. Just get me off the streets. I want a place to live. I want a roof over my head. I don’t want to live like this.”

The Salvation Army has spent the weekend doing similar outreach work   at 22 sites across the city, including 12 homeless encampments. That outreach effort, put together by the city’s Department of Family and Support Services, includes the distribution of food and winter clothing but also gives homeless residents the opportunity to get out of the cold – albeit temporarily.

HOMELESS_021321_6.jpg Members of The Salvation Army Chicago give a homeless man some supplies, including blankets and hand warmers, down on Lower Wacker Drive on Friday night. Tyler LaRiviere/Sun-Times

But as of Sunday afternoon, spokeswoman Katie Heinz Pfingsten said the outreach workers still hadn’t transported anyone to city-run warming centers. Koruba acknowledged some homeless individuals don’t want to leave their encampments for a shelter or hotel because they fear their personal effects will be tossed out.

“That’s why some of the folks who are sticking around behind at an encampment will keep an eye on other peoples’ stuff,” he said. “Not everybody has that level of trust with their neighbor at their encampments, but it’s not uncommon.”

Despite the extreme weather, Carter said he would rather be under the downtown viaduct than at a shelter. He noted some shelters require visitors to leave early in the morning, and he worries his personal items could be stolen.

“It’s not a good place to be sometimes,” he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

It was so cold right after the heavy snow 10 days ago that many people were unable to completely clear their walkways and front steps before the stuff froze solid, so even leaving the house can be dangerous as far as slipping and falling. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

As I look out the window and up and down the block there are very few houses that were able to completely remove the snow off the front steps of their house and walkways before it froze solid, and it turned too cold for snow melting products to work well. Now another 8-12 inches of snow that wont melt for a week?  There is already about a foot and a half on the ground that hasnt melted from last time it snowed. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

In the late 70's, I used to walk down the stairs to lower Michigan Ave to my East Illinois offices. Even back then, there were people that lived along that wall in the winter because there are vents in the 'sidewalk' that release heat coming from the buildings on the 'Miracle mile'. I always have $10 in singles on me to hand out to 'the guys'. Back then $1 would get them coffee AND a donut. 

The Original Billy Goat Tavern [a la SNL 'Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, no coke pepsi] is across the street on that level...

We get 'lake effect' snow so we've had over 3'. It's the light fluffy stuff so every morning I use a leaf blower to clear off the walk, and a path for the dog and to the cars. The roads SUCK in the morning. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Where I grew up, Red Lake MN. the current temp is -21 without wind chill. That is why I live in Florida.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

I can take zero degree temperatures or a foot of snow. But both at the same time is brutal. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Red Lake currently has 30 inches of snow and -21. Burrrrrrrrrrr

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago
Red Lake currently has 30 inches of snow and -21. Burrrrrrrrrrr

i know you miss it kavika. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 years ago

I only visit in the summertime which is a Tuesday afternoon in August. LOL

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I could never deal with that stuff! I had a guy break up with me years ago, because I told him that I would NEVER live in the UP of MI year-round. I am very aware that I couldn't handle that much snow and cold.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

MN has always been a frigged place.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2    3 years ago

Sounds like you made up a new curse word - 'it's so frigged cold outside!'

I like it!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
That is why I live in Florida.

Now look here, Mister.  Weather-related nanner nanner boo boo's are just mean! jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3    3 years ago

LOL, I just thought that I'd give everyone a glimpse of Florida weather, nothing mean about that. Well maybe a little.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @2.3.1    3 years ago

Now there is always compromise...

The nice weather also comes with a lot of lunatics and crappy politics.

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Kavika   replied to  Ender @2.3.2    3 years ago

Our neighborhood is lunatic free but the crappy politics is a true statement.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @2.3.1    3 years ago

I get enough of that cruel and unusual punishment from my buddies from 'the Villages'. jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif  

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

Detroit area of MI is similar temps and weather as Chicago area... we just get it a day later, but we've been pretty frigged here for a couple weeks as well.

Rocky, my APBT is only out long enough to do his business... I'm out there with him, because I want to make sure he's back in ASAP.  It was very different when we had our husky, Samson. 

I'm glad people are looking out for the homeless. It's DAMN cold for them for sure.

Hallux
Masters Principal
5  Hallux    3 years ago

I live in Canada, we have 2 seasons ... Winter and July.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Hallux @5    3 years ago

Where-about in Canada? Just curious.

Hallux
Masters Principal
5.1.1  Hallux  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1    3 years ago

Montreal

Hallux
Masters Principal
6  Hallux    3 years ago

Meanwhile in Finland ... snowshoe art.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @6    3 years ago

That is fantastic artwork, Hallux.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Hallux @6    3 years ago

That's awesome! That must've taken quite some time and planning!

Hallux
Masters Principal
6.2.1  Hallux  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2    3 years ago

Considering they have about 22 seconds of daylight.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Hallux @6.2.1    3 years ago

Yeah, it's certainly not a lot. I work for a company that has a facility in Sweden, which isn't as far north and they only get about 4 hours of daylight in January.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    3 years ago

The official low for Denver was -16 out at  DIA..... but a few degrees warmer closer the mountains. -5 now downtown at 8:30. Lots of snow in the mountains, only about an inch in the city. Warmer and some snow predicted for tomorrow and Wednesday

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

My sister sent me this picture today of her deck in San Antonio Texas this morning. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @8    3 years ago

Wow that is really something.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    3 years ago

There will probably be a lot of accidents down there today. Those people have no idea how to drive in snow. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.1    3 years ago

I heard there was a 100 car pile up in Texas recently with the cold and icy weather

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.2    3 years ago

yes, sadly a number of people were killed in that pile up in ft worth 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
8.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.1    3 years ago
Those people have no idea how to drive in snow.

Ain't that the truth!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @8    3 years ago

She says they are expecting more snow in San Antonio on Wednesday. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Well since we are discussing weather.........

All that jet fuel..................

Hallux
Masters Principal
9.1  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @9    3 years ago

Um ... and not a windmill in sight.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @9    3 years ago

Why would they use hot water, heated by a diesel truck rather than good ol' Ethylene or Propylene Glycol? Why hasn't anyone come up with an anti-icing boot system? Jets use Ethylene or Propylene Glycol and anti-ice rubber boots that inflate to break apart any ice that has formed for deicing aircraft controls. 

I suppose they're worried about EG or PG getting into the water system, but they could have catch containers to prevent that from happening.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
10  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

We had 2 rolling black-outs in the wee hours this morning.  The second one resulted in ice forming on our west-facing windows...on the inside.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @10    3 years ago

You're going to have to go out and buy a winter coat if this keeps up !jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @10    3 years ago

Egads.... I feel bad for you guys.

I guess you only have electric heaters in Texas. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11  pat wilson    3 years ago

I grew up in the midwest and don't miss that kind of winter at all ! Moved to Cali 30 years ago. Today's high will be 61 degrees, a little cool for me, lol.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12  Freefaller    3 years ago

It's warmed up nicely into the minus 20s this week which is a vast improvement over the minus 30s and 40s of the last two weeks.  Might have to break out the shorts and t-shirts for a couple days next week as we're supposed to get a couple days of minus single digits.

Thankfully this is a small town with a good number of shelters so there's normally not too much concern of people freezing.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    3 years ago

It amazes me that people live in these conditions on purpose. 

But not is all sunshine and roses here in Paradise. We have had hardly any rain. In fact, the weather nerds are saying that our rainy season has shrunken to basically January and February, and this year we have barely had any rain at all in that time. The next rain in the forecast is for March.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14  Gsquared    3 years ago

I went out for a short walk in the backyard less than an hour ago.  It's 68 and partly cloudy.   I noticed the daffodil 3 days ago.  This is from today.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gsquared @14    3 years ago

OK trying to depress me with all this spring like beauty. Bah humbug!

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
14.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14.1    3 years ago

Took these yesterday on my way to get lunch. 

Hi Perrie, at least you can think WARM... 

Have a nice evening. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

This is the view looking down the street I live on this morning.  The snow is about 2 ft deep. 800

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
15.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  JohnRussell @15    3 years ago

LOL I feel sorry for you. I grew up in Peoria Ill we didn't see the ground for months back then. To me snow just meant life just got harder. No Thanks !

I took these yesterday it was 70 degrees out at the time.