╌>

AOC Criticizes Manchin For Haaland Confirmation Indecision

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  36 comments

By:   Brittany Bernstein (MSN)

AOC Criticizes Manchin For Haaland Confirmation Indecision
The 'Squad' member's comments came in response to a report that Manchin was undecided about whether he would support Haaland's confirmation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) on Monday blasted Senator Joe Manchin (D., W.Va.) over a report that he has not yet decided whether to support the confirmation of Representative Deb Haaland (D., N.M.) for Interior secretary.

e151e5.gif © Go Nakamura/Reuters Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez speaks with the media during a visit to the Houston Food Bank in Houston, Texas, February 20, 2021.

"Jeff Sessions was so openly racist that even Reagan couldn't appoint him," Ocasio-Cortez said in a tweet referencing former President Trump's first attorney general. "Manchin voted to confirm him. Sessions then targeted immigrant children for wide-scale human rights abuses w/ family separation. Yet the 1st Native woman to be Cabinet Sec is where Manchin finds unease?"

Jeff Sessions was so openly racist that even Reagan couldn't appoint him.

Manchin voted to confirm him. Sessions then targeted immigrant children for wide-scale human rights abuses w/ family separation.

Yet the 1st Native woman to be Cabinet Sec is where Manchin finds unease? https://t.co/wyki5iE36Y

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) February 22, 2021

The "Squad" member's comments came in response to a report that Manchin was undecided about whether he would support Haaland's confirmation, with his spokeswoman reportedly telling NBC News that he had met with the New Mexico congresswoman on Zoom to discuss her confirmation but that he had "remaining questions."

".@DebHaalandNM is a profound public servant and champion for working families," Ocasio-Cortez said in another post. "Her appointment as Sec of the Interior would be historic, and her leadership holds the promise of progress for our country. Call your Senator to support her confirmation."

With the Senate evenly divided between the parties, Manchin, a moderate Democrat who does not always vote along party lines, has taken on newfound power. When Manchin votes no, Democrats need the support of at least one Republican senator for the matter at hand to pass.

The confirmation of Neera Tanden as director of the Office of Management and Budget is appearing increasingly unlikely after Manchin and moderate Republican senators Susan Collins of Maine and Mitt Romney of Utah all signaled they would not back her.

Haaland's confirmation hearing before the Senate Energy Committee is scheduled for Tuesday.

Ocasio-Cortez's comments are just the latest in an ongoing Twitter feud between the progressive New York congresswoman and the moderate West Virginia senator.

The pair spent a month going back-and-forth on Twitter over the summer after the senator criticized calls to defund the police, saying, "Defund, my butt."

Ocasio-Cortez responded by sharing a photo of herself glaring at Manchin when he applauded President Trump's second State of the Union address.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
“.@DebHaalandNM is a profound public servant and champion for working families,” Ocasio-Cortez said in another post. “Her appointment as Sec of the Interior would be historic, and her leadership holds the promise of progress for our country. Call your Senator to support her confirmation.”
-
 With the Senate evenly divided between the parties, Manchin, a moderate Democrat who does not always vote along party lines, has taken on newfound power. When Manchin votes no, Democrats need the support of at least one Republican senator for the matter at hand to pass.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

AOC is correct again. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

seems like AOC doesn't like it when people don't agree with her.

poor thing might need to get used to it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

I guess it's a coincidence that the first two Biden cabinet nominees to meet opposition are two women of color. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

oh, no, its clearly  a diabolical plot!!

lmao

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    3 years ago

Just pandering to preconceptions .

AOC noted that Manchin voted to confirm Jeff Sessions, who didnt just make mean tweets like Neera Tanden , but had a racist past and was given an "F" rating by the NAACP. 

As Kavika says, it was predictable that Deb Haaland, the first Native woman to be nominated for a cabinet position would meet opposition. Barring extreme negative information presidents generally have all their cabinet nominees confirmed. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 years ago

gee, maybe Democrats should remove Manchin!!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Are you saying they are qualified and don't express extremist views?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.4    3 years ago

Explain extremist as to 'the they' you are referring.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

She may push him into pulling a Jeffords if she and those like her don’t tread carefully...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Sadly, I called this one. It's going to be a battle to get Deb certified. Gas, oil, and coal money are against her. Manchin is what Manchin is.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Manchin is what Manchin is.

DINO?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    3 years ago

Rather than cater to Manchin, the Democrat congressional leadership should be telling him they will not support him for re-election unless he supports the Democratic position in most matters. 

You don't allow one or two wild cards to derail your agenda. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago

Indeed. They need to tel him that if he is going to be a pain in the ass he will not be getting re-elected. Frankly he is sabotaging the party right now, the dems only chance of having an okay midterm election is by getting shit done.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    3 years ago

so much for independent thought within the Democratic Party

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    3 years ago

gee, lots of folks here keep on telling us how dead the GOP is, so why would the Democrats have trouble in the midterms when they are the majority?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    3 years ago

Look at all she is doing in comparison to the gqp who do NOTHING and have done nothing for at least 4 YEARS NOW!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    3 years ago

all she has done?

please tell me you are joking

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.3    3 years ago
so much for independent thought within the Democratic Party

Hypocritical much?

GOP County Chair Blasts Pat Toomey Vote: 'We Did Not Send Him There to Do the Right Thing'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.7    3 years ago

and what were my comments regarding that which magically indicated to you i am hypocritical?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.9  Greg Jones  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    3 years ago

Manchin is one of the few decent, sane, and principled Democrats in Congress.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

I suggest you employ the ignore button for my posts.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.8    3 years ago

and what were my comments regarding that which magically indicated to you i am hypocritical?

"I can't help you understand what I wrote."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.12    3 years ago

so, absolutely nothing to prove your claim that I was being hypocritical.

I figured as much when I read it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.14    3 years ago
so, absolutely nothing to prove your claim that I was being hypocritical. I figured as much when I read it.

You do realize that I am just quoting you from another thread.....right? 

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    3 years ago

yes, I knew what you were doing.

you failed, again. to show what you claimed, that I was being hypocritical.

par for the course

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.16    3 years ago
yes, I knew what you were doing.

Yet you are doing exactly what you are claiming that I am doing.....

Par for the course.  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.17    3 years ago

you crack me up!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.21  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago

They can’t black mail him.  He would threaten to go independent and not caucus with either party like Sen Jeffords did 20 years ago last time it was 50/50. That would turn the senate control back to Republicans.  50-49-1 like it did for Dems back then.  He knows that.  He’s not up for 4 years anyway and if they threaten him too much considering the state he’s from he could simply run then as a Republican if he wants another term.  You all have zero leverage on him and everyone knows it. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago
Manchin is what Manchin is.

Beholden to gas, oil and coal interests...

David Turnbull, the strategic communications director with Oil Change USA , said in an online statement that Manchin has "enjoyed nearly $1 million in campaign contributions from oil, gas and coal interests in his career."

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @3.2    3 years ago

Without a doubt.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

What “questions” does he have exactly?