╌>

A man was hospitalized after the porta-potty he was using at the historic Gettysburg battlefield was crushed by a tree

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   wbostock@businessinsider.com (Bill Bostock) 15 hrs ago (MSN)

A man was hospitalized after the porta-potty he was using at the historic Gettysburg battlefield was crushed by a tree
The porta-potty was crushed by a tree felled by high winds at the site of Little Round Top, Gettysburg, on Friday, volunteer firefighters said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Barlow Volunteer Fire Department/Joe Robinson/Facebook Al large tree that had toppled in high winds crushed a car and a portable latrine. Barlow Volunteer Fire Department/Joe Robinson/Facebook

• A tree fell in high winds and crushed a porta potty at the Gettysburg battlefield site of Little Round Top.
  • A man was inside at the time. First responders cut him out, and he was taken to hospital.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

First responders have rescued a man who became imprisoned inside a porta-potty at the site of a historic Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania.

On Friday, volunteer firefighters from the Barlow Volunteer Fire Department responded to a 911 call at Little Round Top to find that a large tree that had toppled in high winds had crushed a car and a portable latrine, The York Daily Record reported.

Volunteers found no one inside the vehicle, the outlet said, but identified that the tree had trapped a man inside the crushed porta-potty, and proceeded to cut him out.

He was taken to Gettysburg Hospital by ambulance with injuries not considered life-threatening.

"Arrived to find one male subject trapped in the porta-potty," Joe Robinson, assistant chief of the Barlow Volunteer Fire Department, wrote on the department's Facebook page.

Robison shared images of the decimated lavatory on Facebook.

"He was very lucky," Robinson told the York Daily Record. "It was a large tree, and it just missed striking him. It could have been very serious."

The firefighters treated the situation as if the man had been trapped in the car, Robinson said. They used a chainsaw to cut away the tree and they cracked the porta-potty open with a machine-powered saw.

"This is definitely something I have never seen before," Robinson added.

During the Battle of Gettysburg, the Little Round Top was the site of an unsuccessful Confederate assault on Union troops.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Sometimes it's just not worth getting up in the morning.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

shit karma.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

WOW !   That'd scare the shit out of ya. 

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    3 years ago
That'd scare the shit out of ya.

Or yank it right back in.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    3 years ago

Banish the thought.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    3 years ago

I would definitely pee my pants

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

How embarrassing would that be?

Bad luck with porta-potties lately.  My neighbor has (had) one near his barn full of lumber that caught fire and ignited the barn.

Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    3 years ago
Bad luck with porta-potties lately.  My neighbor has (had) one near his barn full of lumber that caught fire and ignited the barn.

I almost want to ask how a porta-potty catches fire, but I'm not sure I want to know.  Maybe in lieu of a curtesy flush, he struck a match?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1    3 years ago

He says it happened while nobody was there.  Search me.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    3 years ago

Hope he recovers quickly. Good work by the firemen 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Well, as they say, shit happens.

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 years ago
Well, as they say, shit happens.

At least!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago
"It was a large tree, and it just missed striking him. It could have been very serious."

It’s almost a shame it didn’t kill him. If you go to The Good Place, this is one of those deaths they wipe from your mind.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

Aww shit.

Professor Guide
7.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

I just had a horrible thought.  I wonder how many people had used it prior to this poor guy.  There was no way to avoid the...fallout. 

*triple involuntary yuck-shimmy*

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

This guy sounds like someone you wouldn't want to stand too close to in an electrical storm..........