╌>

Horrific Attacks And Hate Crimes Against Asian-Americans on the Rise

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   Andy Meek Contributor

Horrific Attacks And Hate Crimes Against Asian-Americans on the Rise
“The more complicated a story is, the more important it is to take time” and cover it right, he says, whether that story involves coronavirus vaccinations, gun violence, or attacks against Asian-Americans, as is the case here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

In Sunday’s episode of  60 Minutes+ , Lowery will take a closer look at the surge in hate crimes against Asian-Americans, inspired partly by the Atlanta spa shootings a few weeks ago but also the acts of violence and that have taken place sporadically across the country in recent weeks.

In a phone conversation with  Forbes  ahead of his new report being available to stream on Paramount+, Lowery talked about his motivation to tell this story while also offering something of a playbook that other reporters across the industry might do well to follow instead of the unsatisfying, sensationalized coverage that lurches from one crisis to the next.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @1    3 years ago
nspired partly by the Atlanta spa shootings a few weeks ago

I don't believe those shootings had anything to do with anti Asian violence brought on mostly by black Americans. Video after video show this is the truth.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @1.1    3 years ago
I don't believe those shootings had anything to do with anti Asian violence brought on mostly by black Americans. Video after video show this is the truth.I

Well, of course you are entitled to your opinions. Andover time I think most of use here are aware of your political views...so I am not surprised in the least. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    3 years ago

My political views have nothing to do with it. There is documented evidence that the majority, if not all, of videoed assaults, have been committed by blacks.

That is not political. That is cold, hard facts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    3 years ago

Dog whistle.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    3 years ago

Dog whistle.

Run through a dozen Electro-Voice 15BR 1000W loudspeakers......

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.4    3 years ago

Cant handle the truth?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    3 years ago
Cant handle the truth?

No they can't.

And now, it seems that there are more than one here that hear dog whistles that no one else hears.

The sad thing is that leftists are for more likely to act after they hear those whistles, and not in a positive way.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    3 years ago

well I'll be damned.

After working hours.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    3 years ago
There is documented evidence that the majority, if not all, of videoed assaults, have been committed by blacks.

Link?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    3 years ago
Dog whistle.

Well...at least he's not a Rascist!

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bugsy @1.1.6    3 years ago

I suggest that an audiologist be in your near future..... and then a short course in race relations.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.11  bugsy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.10    3 years ago
and then a short course in race relations.

Maybe you need that course.

My wife is Asian, and all of the hateful remarks she has received since she arrived here LEGALLY in 1981 is from blacks.

Nothing racist about that.

Only the truth.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @1.1.11    3 years ago
My wife is Asian, and all of the hateful remarks she has received since she arrived here LEGALLY in 1981 is from blacks.

OK, so you're not at all racist against [Asians Deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @1.1.6    3 years ago
The sad thing is that leftists are for more likely to act after they hear those whistles, and not in a positive way.

OK. So we know that you don't hate Chinese [people Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @1.1.13    3 years ago

what you are doing is guessing.

he didn't say he hated anyone.

nice to know Reagan is still correct.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.15  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.13    3 years ago

[Deleted.  Please do not repost comments that have been moderated.]

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

“The more complicated a story is, the more important it is to take time” and cover it right, he says, whether that story involves coronavirus vaccinations,    gun violence  , or attacks against Asian-Americans, as is the case here.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago

All real life stories are complicated.

Truth is much more complicated than fiction.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The prevalence of attacks against Asian-Americans — such as a particularly vicious assault a few days ago on 65-year-old Vilma Kari in New York City, captured on extremely disturbing surveillance footage that’s shocked viewers across the country — is one of those kinds of stories. To a journalist like Lowery, the worst thing in the world would be to treat this as just another story, packaged in time for another deadline, before moving on to the next thing.

“The Atlanta shooting was such a big, shocking moment, but also all these videos — it seems like every day, we’re seeing an Asian-American somewhere being attacked in public,” Lowery told me. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

Sadly this another in a long list over the decades of the pain that Asian Americans experience because of racism. My neighbors are Asian American and I have many friends that are Pacific Islanders, especially Samoan. Perhaps because I'm a minority and speak Samoan that they will say things to me that they have not said outside the Asian/Pacific Islanders community. 

Acts of racism are not just another news story, acts of racism change peoples lives, the way we act, how we relate to others so reporting that ''Another Asian/Pacific Islander'' was attacked is far from the end of the story. 

Very good article.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4    3 years ago
Sadly this another in a long list over the decades of the pain that Asian Americans experience because of racism. My neighbors are Asian American and I have many friends that are Pacific Islanders, especially Samoan. Perhaps because I'm a minority and speak Samoan that they will say things to me that they have not said outside the Asian/Pacific Islanders community. 

There has been a long history of racist hatred (and in many cases horrific violence) against Asian-Americans.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago
There has been a long history of racist hatred (and in many cases horrific violence) against Asian-Americans.

And while this has been true for a long time, and in recent years the number of cases have quite suddenly skyrocketed.

I had been wondering why such an increase in such a short time, and after researching it, its become obvious that the cause for the recent  increase is the sudden use and popularizing of terms in regards to the Covis-19 such as referring to it as "The Kung Flu", and also calling  "The Chinese Virus".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago
"There has been a long history of racist hatred (and in many cases horrific violence) against Asian-Americans."

Yes, in America going as far back as at least the 19th century.  It's well-ingrained. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    3 years ago
"...it's become obvious that the cause for the recent  increase is the sudden use and popularizing of terms in regards to the Covis-19 such as referring to it as "The Kung Flu", and also calling  "The Chinese Virus"."

AND the ramped up demonization by Trump and his administration of China, its government (raiding the Houston Consulate and finding no evidence of espionage), its corporations (Huawei, TikTok, WeChat, etc), its cultural facilities (the Confucius Institutes), its students, its economy, (Trade wars), its domestic affairs (Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Taiwan).

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

A more precise name would be the Wuhan Virus....but the pandemic originated in China

The Chinese government let it escape

Many of these attacks are committed by people of color.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

No, it wouldn't.

And what the hell difference does it make if ANY of those attacks were committed bv people of color, IF THAT'S EVEN TRUE??????????????????????????????????

You're using Michelle Malkin as documentation of this nonsense?

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    3 years ago
And what the hell difference does it make if ANY of those attacks were committed bv people of color, IF THAT'S EVEN TRUE??????????????????????????????????

You're using Michelle Malkin as documentation of this nonsense?

Well...at least Gregory is not a racist!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Well,if that's the case, then surely you would have no problem in easily finding many links.

(from a Reliable source, of course jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png )

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago
"The Chinese government let it escape"

And the Trump government delayed, misled and mismanaged and let it spread beyond control killing almost 600,000 Americans.  Be proud, be very proud and open your eyes before you accuse others.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4    3 years ago
And the Trump government delayed, misled and mismanaged and let it spread beyond control killing almost 600,000 Americans.

Exactly!

(How quickly some people forget):

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.4.1    3 years ago

And just when you though it couldn't get any dumber...

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Do you consider Chinese people to be "People of Colour"?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago
The Chinese government let it escape

Why would the Chinese government want to infect so many of their citizens with the Virus? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

That makes no sense whatsoever!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.6    3 years ago
Why would the Chinese government want to infect so many of their citizens with the Virus? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Kim Jung UN-- maybe, that would definitely be in character.

And of course the terrorist leadership of the Palestinian State in Gaza-- they want to kill their people off!

But China?

No way!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Actually there are not 1, not 2, but...3! videos in the ever-popular Pandumbic series!

(Be the first on your block to collect them all!).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6    3 years ago

Oooops...forgot to inadvertently not post the third, and final scintillating video in this YUGELY popular and highly veneered series!

So without further ado...HERE IT IS!

SALUTING THE HEROES OF THE CORONAVIRUS  PANDEMIC

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.1    3 years ago

OMG-- its got Sean Hannity!

I've always loved the man-- you can always count on him to bring a little mirth and joy into your life in the darkest hours of the days in which we live!

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @6.1.1    3 years ago

Hannity is a bright light in a dark room, or is it Hannity is a dark room putting out the light.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @6.1.2    3 years ago

My bad-- I "inadvertently" forgot to type the /sarc  (for sarcasm) label!

Hannity is definitely one of the worst hate mongers on Fox News-- although he has competition!

(Although its probably a tie as to who's the biggest liar of their people, IMO the nastiest is Laura Ingraham...although admittedly its a close race for that title).

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    3 years ago

Yeah, sure.  We've seen this crap before.  Since these attacks on Asian-Americans can't be white washed then the story suddenly becomes complicated and needs more nuanced reporting.

From the seeded article:

The urgency for reporting like this is also reflected in the American political landscape of the moment that goes beyond direct attacks and hate crimes themselves against Asian-Americans. Consider, for example, the rhetoric of a Republican congressional candidate in Texas, who blamed Chinese immigrants for spreading coronavirus, among other things, during remarks she made a few days ago.

“I don’t want them here at all," said Sery Kim, who also worked in the Small Business Administration during the Trump administration, during a candidate forum. "They steal our intellectual property, they give us coronavirus, they don’t hold themselves accountable.”

"And quite frankly,” she added, per NBC News, “I can say that because I’m Korean."

Yes, Sery Kim is a Republican candidate that has been blaming Chinese immigrants for the pandemic.  Sery Kim is also an Asian-American.  Not so easy to white wash this story, is it?

So reporting the story requires a whole lot more nuance.  Can't call minorities racist, after all.  SSDD from the news media.