╌>

Holocaust survivor wishes TikTok Shabbat Shalom, gets hit with antisemitic hate

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  31 comments

By:   Ron Kampease

Holocaust survivor wishes TikTok Shabbat Shalom, gets hit with antisemitic hate
Lily Ebert, 97, told ‘Happy Holocaust,’ with many blaming her for fighting between Israel and Hamas

Attacks on Jews are on the rise in America.  And many of the perps are still at large.

Recently there was a gang attack on a Jewish man in broad daylight in Times Square in New York.( LINK to video )

So far only one of the perps, Waseem Awawdeh, has been caught.

Waseem Awawdeh, 23, was held on $10,000 bail in the Thursday attack, in which he is 

accused  of beating Joseph Borgen, 29, with crutches and punching, kicking and pepper-spraying him. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Holocaust survivor Lily Ebert's TikTok account was hit with antisemitic messages. (Campaign Against Antisemitism via JTA)

JTA — Lily Ebert is 97. Her great-grandson, Dov Forman, helped her create a TikTok account so she could tell its youthful community about surviving Auschwitz.

On May 14, instead of one of her pithy recollections, Ebert had a simple message for 90,000 followers, delivered from her London home: “Wishing you a lovely, peaceful weekend,” she said, and repeated a similar wish in Hungarian, her native language. She added “Shabbat Shalom.”

Her account was flooded with hateful messages, many of them holding her responsible for the military conflict between Israel and Hamas that broke out May 9 and ended last week.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Her great-grandson, Dov Forman, helped her create a TikTok account so she could tell its youthful community about surviving Auschwitz.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

On May 14, instead of one of her pithy recollections, Ebert had a simple message for 90,000 followers, delivered from her London home: “Wishing you a lovely, peaceful weekend,” she said, and repeated a similar wish in Hungarian, her native language. She added “Shabbat Shalom.”

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

Do you have the link to her Tic Tock account?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    3 years ago

Lily Ebert's Tik Tok account.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    3 years ago

I just noticed that she has a book on Amazon:

Lily's Promise: How I Survived Auschwitz and Found the Strength to Live  Hardcover – 2 Sept. 2021

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Krishna @3.1    3 years ago

Thanks, Krish.  I just went there.  What a pip and a half she is!  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.2    3 years ago

Thanks, Krish.  I just went there.  What a pip and a half she is!  

You're welcome!

Yes-- she got "a strong personality"...to say the least!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    3 years ago

She would have had to be a strong person in every aspect to have survived what she did.  Now the Naxis are torturing her AGAIN.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

No one is exempt from ass-hattery on the internet.  I hate it, but it's a fact of life these days.  

I'm glad Ms. Ebert is around to tell her story.  I very much would like to hear it.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

There continues to be a considerable ''Jews for Trump'' contingent. (My sister is one.)

It disturbs me profoundly.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    3 years ago
There continues to be a considerable ''Jews for Trump'' contingent. (My sister is one.) It disturbs me profoundly.

In the recent past, most Anti-Semitism & other forms of racism came from the Right. (from Naziism to Geroge Wallace to the Klan, etc)

But recently there's been an increasing amount coming from the Left as well.

So some naive people might assume that the Right-wing is less racist-- and more tolerant of Jews (?).

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1    3 years ago
In the recent past, most Anti-Semitism & other forms of racism came from the Right

Actually I just realized that's not totally true-- it also came from the extreme Left-- for example, the Soviet Union.

So probably a more accurate way of describing it is that is comes from extremists-- whether Left or Right. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.1    3 years ago

My sister is far to the right of Ronald Reagan.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.2    3 years ago
My sister is far to the right of Ronald Reagan.

I can see why you're upset...

People have differing political views, sometimes a bit extreme. But then there are some who are not all that "emotionally balanced".....

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    3 years ago

I don't recall any Soviet ''Final Solution''.

Jews tend to get involved in social action, which often brings them the hostility of the state (left or right). And perhaps the USSR inherited some of the ''habitual Eastern European pogrom reflex''.

I don't see any reasonable comparison to the Nazis, though.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    3 years ago

I hoped January Sixth would break her out of her Trumpolatry, but she has produced all the same dissembling we've seen here on NT.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.4    3 years ago

I don't recall any Soviet ''Final Solution''.

Russia has always been one of the more anti-Semitic countries in Europe. However that existed long before Communism...

So while there was no Holocaust of Jews on the scale of the German one, their history in that regard is frightening.

Not exactly a Jewish Holocaust like the German one. ..but most Americans are unaware of the Holodomor ( if anyone is interested, they can get smarter here: Holodomor.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.5    3 years ago

I hoped January Sixth would break her out of her Trumpolatry, but she has produced all the same dissembling we've seen here on NT.

IMO, the most devout MAGA-Morons exhibit a particular type of stupidity-- a major aspect of which is denial.They stick to whatever bizarre beliefs they have,,,and no amount of actual facts will move them!

So arguing with them is a total waste of time.

(Although iroinicly, there's another type of person who's also totally out of touch with reality-- although to a much lesser extent. And unlike the MAGA crazies, many of them have good intentions. But they're just incredibly naive.

I am speaking, of course, of the thousands of people who spend hours a day on social media sites trying to convince die hard Trump supporters to become liberals (or at least stop their fanatical support of Trump's lies). Naive-- and slow learners to say the least.

Theirs a wise olde saying on the topic:

If you're going to push on a rock-- push on one that moves!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.1.6    3 years ago

Good link. I've heard of the USSR's disastrous agricultural programs, but this is a new perspective.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.1.7    3 years ago

What really hurts is that she is objectively very smart and very competent.

So seeing her bend reason like a pretzel is disturbing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.4    3 years ago

Perhaps it was more in the past - the pogroms.  More recently Jews preferred to leave Russia if they could, like the Olim to Israel by the planeload - think of Sharansky.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    3 years ago
There continues to be a considerable ''Jews for Trump'' contingent. (My sister is one.) It disturbs me profoundly.

Bothers me as well.

In the 60's I was a Civil Rights activist in the South. Civil Rights workers were both Black and White, as one would expect.

But what surprised me that a very, very high percentage of the Whites in the movement (in the South) were Jews, in some places  more than 50%!!!

(And Southern racists were well aware of that fact...)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 years ago

Shwerner and Goodman were Jews.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.2.1    3 years ago
Shwerner and Goodman were Jews.

Yes, I remember that well.    

Two of the three murdered civil rights workers were New York Jews-- the 3rd was a Black guy (from Mississippi).

Another horrific event in American history that many Americans are totally unaware of-- but should be.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 years ago
"But what surprised me that a very, very high percentage of the Whites in the movement (in the South) were Jews, in some places  more than 50%!!!"

And the blacks, like Farrakhan and others have really shown their appreciation for that, haven't they.  (Do I really need to post a s/ after that?)

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     3 years ago

A sad commentary on the state of the human race. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago

In your opinion.... has the instant availability of data due to the internet made it better or worse K?

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    3 years ago
has the instant availability of data due to the internet made it better or worse K?

It's allowed the nuts cases/bigots and racists more open access and also a way to attack while remaining hidden behind their computer. IMO it's also made white supremacy more acceptable. So in that way I'd say yes that it's made it worse. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    3 years ago

I agree.

There's always been partisanship in the U.S., but IMO the Internet made the gap wider, and made both sides more extreme.

In fact, I even wonder if Trump would've been elected in the first place if the Internet hadn't existed-- it provided a great platform to spew his hatred quickly..and to a YUGE number of people. 

(Fox also did that, but to a much lesser degree IMO).

Basically, the Internet provides a quick, easy way for hate-mongers to disseminate their views in a way and to a degree that they never could before! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    3 years ago

Absolutely so, which is one of the reasons why I keep begging Scotty to beam me back to the early 1950s.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

The internet is a terrible place.