╌>

Covid is surging in Florida. Doctors and nurses are back in crisis mode.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  68 comments

By:   Vaughn Hillyard, Daniel Arkin and Carmen Sesin

Covid is surging in Florida. Doctors and nurses are back in crisis mode.
Florida hospitals are once again filling up with patients battling Covid-19.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Debi de la Paz, a nurse at UF Health Jacksonville, worked in the intensive care unit during some of the darkest days of the Covid-19 pandemic last summer.

"It was bad," she said of the first wave, "but now it seems to be even worse."

UF Health Jacksonville is once again filling up with patients battling Covid-19. They are younger — many are in their 20s and 30s, some even in their teens — and they appear to be much sicker than those who flooded hospitals in the early months of the pandemic, de la Paz said.

Sabrina Oetterer, a nurse who started working at UF Health in March, said the change has been "insane." These days, Oetterer said, it seems as though virtually every new patient coming into the hospital has Covid.

Florida, the third most populous state, has become the new national center for the virus, accounting for about a fifth of all new cases in the country. In hospitals across the state, doctors, nurses and staff members are confronting a fast-moving and escalating crisis with no end in sight.

Florida shattered Covid records over the weekend. On Saturday, the state recorded 21,683 new daily cases — the most since the start of the pandemic. On Sunday, the state broke a record for current hospitalizations with 10,207, the Florida Hospital Association confirmed. The previous record — 10,179 hospitalizations — was set July 23, 2020, more than a half-year before vaccinations started to become widespread.

Dr. Dean Watson, a vice president at Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, said his hospital has seen a significant increase in confirmed cases and hospitalizations over the last three weeks alone, putting new pressure on caregivers and straining resources.

"We have more Covid patients in our hospital with this surge than we did with the original surge," Watson said. "We have been living Covid for over a year and a half. The stress and the strain for all the providers and nursing staff is really getting to everyone."

In the last week, Florida averaged 1,525 new adult hospitalizations a day and 35 new daily pediatric hospitalizations, both of which are the highest per capita rates in the U.S., said Jason Salemi, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida.

The weekly trends paint an especially bleak picture. Salemi pointed out that in the most recent weekly report from the state Health Department, for example, the state logged more cases in children younger than 12 than it had in its entire population just six weeks ago.

The alarming spike has come as the new and more transmissible delta variant spreads across Florida and while many residents and tourists have effectively returned to pre-pandemic social rituals.

"You have a lot of vulnerable people in Florida, and then you couple that with a general relaxation of mitigation strategies like mask-wearing and social distancing — and so, unfortunately, this ends up being the result," Salemi said.

The influx of patients in their 20s and 30s has been particularly unsettling for caregivers.

Dr. Samer Fahmy, the chief medical officer at Boca Raton Regional Hospital, said: "We have had patients in their 20s gasping for air and getting intubated. We've had, unfortunately, young mothers who get very sick and lose their babies in the midst of a pregnancy.

"We need this to end, and the best way we know how to do that is through vaccination and some of the mitigation measures," Fahmy added.

Watson is deeply distressed by the new surge, but he was not entirely shocked because about half of the state's population has not been fully vaccinated. He believes the new round of suffering "most definitely" could have been prevented if more people had gotten their shots.

"We're taking care of patients who, if they had made the right choice and gotten the vaccine, would not be in the hospital," he said. "You're battling through sadness, but you're also battling through a little anger, too."

Oetterer, one of the nurses in Jacksonville, said nearly all the patients she has seen in recent days were not vaccinated.

"Every day I come to work and I'm tired and I'm ready for people to be vaccinated," Oetterer said. "I'm ready to go back to taking care of one or two people who are sick and not everybody and anybody."

Alix Zacharski, a nurse manager for the medical intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, recalled how painful it was to lose a 54-year-old patient Friday who expressed regret over not having gotten vaccinated in time.

"She said: 'I shouldn't have waited. I thought I could wait longer,'" Zacharski said the patient told her.

Zacharski said it was especially heartbreaking to see the patient's husband and children say goodbye. By then, the patient was no longer responsive.

Next to her was a 27-year-old patient who also died Friday after four weeks of hospitalization. The same day, Zacharski expanded one of Jackson Hospital's Covid-19 ICU units from eight beds to 24.

When people express regret over not having gotten vaccinated, Zacharski tells them "let's concentrate on breathing better" to focus their energy on something else.

A woman arrives at a treatment tent outside the emergency department at Palm Bay Hospital in Palm Bay, Fla., on Thursday.Paul Hennessy / Sipa USA via AP

Florida hospitals are also dealing with the ripple effects of the new surge. Watson said Tallahassee Memorial is pulling back on some elective operations and certain procedures that require overnight stays so it can devote more time to treating people with Covid.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who is said to be considering a presidential run in 2024, has resisted mask mandates and vaccine requirements.

DeSantis, along with the state Legislature, has curbed local officials' authority to impose restrictions designed to stop the spread of the virus.

The state's medical providers recognize that persuading unvaccinated residents to set up appointments for doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines is an immense challenge.

Paul Carl Velez, the president and chief executive of Borinquen Medical Centers, which runs community health centers in Miami-Dade County, said staff members at Borinquen centers have encountered people across age groups and income levels who do not want to get vaccinated.

"It's people from all walks of life. They don't say they're anti-vaccine, but they don't want to get the vaccine," Velez said. "We're at a crossroads, so what do we do?"

Lawrence Johnson, one of more than 220 Covid patients at UF Health Jacksonville on Monday, said that he does not drink or smoke and that he tries to keep healthy. But Johnson, 67, who has been hospitalized for 22 days, conceded that he did not get vaccinated because he listened to "foolishness."

"Every day I get on the phone: 'Please do not play. Get the vaccination.' If I wasn't stupid, I wouldn't be in this predicament. Don't listen to foolishness. Go get vaccinated."

Vaughn Hillyard reported from Jacksonville, Daniel Arkin from Los Angeles and Carmen Sesin from Miami.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

And yet there are people, even on this very social news site, who want DeSantis to be POTUS - God help the USA if that were to happen.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

From the article: "Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who is said to be considering a presidential run in 2024, has resisted mask mandates and vaccine requirements."

The younger population, who generally tend to vote left, would resist mandatory mask mandates. Vaccinations requirements would likely only apply to public employees

People don't care much for authoritarian government.....be it left or right

Better DeSantis than Biden again.....or Harris!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

I guess people don't care about getting rid of covid either, right. That would explain why it's still around and flaring up again.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago
And yet there are people, even on this very social news site, who want DeSantis to be POTUS - God help the USA if that were to happen.

Well Trump's COVID response was the cause of 600,000 American deaths, maybe DeSantis can round that up to an even million...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

He didn't cause the death of seniors in nursing homes. 

The Governor of New York did that and btw: New York has much less people than Florida, yet New York checked in right behind California in covid deaths with a wopping 53,496.

The two democrat governors are in big trouble. Where will DeSantis be in 2024?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    3 years ago

Defence of a governor who stood in the way of masking mandates in a State booming with infections does not impress me.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    3 years ago

Let the CDC show us the data on masks ESPECIALLY WITH YOUNG CHILDREN and BTW, when is the CDC going to stop doing what the Teacher's union & the Biden administration wants?

WHY AREN"T TEACHERS REQUIRED TO GET VACCINATED ???

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.2    3 years ago
Let the CDC show us the data on masks ESPECIALLY WITH YOUNG CHILDREN and BTW, when is the CDC going to stop doing what the Teacher's union & the Biden administration wants?

Vic, the CDC website has a PLETHORA of data on mask efficacy, including links to over 60 scientific studies, which include studies on children. 

So click on over there and educate yourself. 

WHY AREN"T TEACHERS REQUIRED TO GET VACCINATED ???

Are you being serious right now? You CHEER when DeSantis OUTLAWS mask mandates but insist that teachers be FORCED to get vaccinated. Hypocrisy much? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @1.3.4    3 years ago

Funny how some folks ask for proof of things which has been provided to them over and over again yet they ignore and keep asking for that same info over and over again like it hasn't been provided to them over and over again.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

And some say President Biden is demented

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.2    3 years ago

Your first question is rhetorical and unanswerable, and how could I possibly know the answer to the second one?

Do you mean your questions to be a defence of what I said in my comment, because I don't see that it is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.6    3 years ago

It's not.  Its a deflection

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
1.3.8  JumpDrive  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    3 years ago
He [DeSantis] didn't cause the death of seniors in nursing homes. The Governor of New York did that and btw: New York has much less people than Florida, yet New York checked in right behind California in covid deaths with a wopping 53,496.

NY was being massively infected while Trump was still lying about the virus (it would go away in April). NY infections peaked in early April, Florida's peak was more than 3 months later. NY made mistakes and had to learn how to handle the disease -- Fl had access to this knowledge. It's ridiculous to compare the two states' responses.

NY & FL have almost the same population, 19M vs 21M. FL & CA infections initial peaks occurred at the same time. FL's population is 21M, CA's is 39M. If you scale FL's deaths to CA's population, FL's would be 72K to CA's 65K.

One of my brothers lives in FL. He & his wife won't go out because the people simply take no precautions at all. He said his state is fucking nuts. My brother understands that vaccines are not force fields, they're not 100%, if you get a high enough viral load or some new more deadly version you could get very sick anyway.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.6    3 years ago
Your first question is rhetorical and unanswerable, and how could I possibly know the answer to the second one?

But it is something to think about.

There is still a lot of politics in this and the vaccination has now been weaponized as a campaign tool. One that is dishonest and devious.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  JumpDrive @1.3.8    3 years ago
NY was being massively infected while Trump was still lying about the virus

You mean while Dr Fauci was telling us on Face the Nation that we would most likely be seeing a flattening out:

DR. FAUCI: Well, this is going to be a bad week. MARGARET, unfortunately, if you look at the projection of the curves, of the kinetics of the curves, we're going to continue to see an escalation. Also, we should hope that within a week, maybe a little bit more, we'll start to see a flattening out of the curve and coming down. The mitigation that we're talking about that you just mentioned is absolutely key to the success of that. So on the one hand, things are going to get bad and we need to be prepared for that. It is going to be shocking to some. It certainly is- is really disturbing to see that. But that's what's going to happen before it turns around. So we'll just buckle down, continue to mitigate, continue to do the physical separation because we got to get through this week that's coming up because it is going to be a bad week.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @1.3.4    3 years ago
So click on over there and educate yourself. 

I think you could use it more than I. Somebody didn't do what they should have.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.12  Greg Jones  replied to  JumpDrive @1.3.8    3 years ago

JumpDrive wrote:  "if you get a high enough viral load or some new more deadly version you could get very sick anyway."

That does not agree with the science.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.13  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.11    3 years ago
I think you could use it more than I.

Of course I can Vic. Your seeds and comments prove that you have no use for facts. 

Somebody didn't do what they should have.

Since it's just us two in this discussion, it must be you...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.14  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3.12    3 years ago
That does not agree with the science.

Actually, it does agree with science. According to the CDC, "There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19." However, people who are vaccinated generally will have less severity or mortality from reinfection. While the vaccine will offer some protection against Covid variants, it is not as effective against them. Most reinfections of vaccinated people occur from the variants. The CDC states, "The proportion of reported vaccine breakthrough infections attributed to variants of concern has also been similar to the proportion of these variants circulating throughout the United States." 

It's the variants that are more likely to cause reinfection and illness (of varying severity). Viral load does play a factor in that too. If newer, different variants of Covid emerge, it's possible the vaccine will have even less effect against them or be ineffective altogether.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

Only an ignorant moron could support Death Santis

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

In June DeSantis had the Florida DOH stop reporting new cases and deaths on a daily basis, it's now weekly. The Dashboard that Florida had was outstanding and gave up the minute info on the virus by county/city/zip code. Of course, it's wasn't DeSantis that built that dashboard but it was the woman that he fired, Rebekah Jones.

We do not know the number of new cases or deaths from this past Sunday or Monday. 

He has issued an EO that doesn't allow the cities/counties/school districts to mandate masks for school kids. It will once again like the past peaks of the pandemic that local governments and businesses that issue mask mandates.

The positivity rate in some Florida counties is as high as 25%. My county, Marion has a rate of 23.68%. The statewide average is 18.9%

Currently, 49% of Florida has been fully vaccinated and 59% have had one shot.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
The positivity rate in some Florida counties is as high as 25%. My county, Marion has a rate of 23.68%. The statewide average is 18.9% Currently, 49% of Florida has been fully vaccinated and 59% have had one shot.

That doesnt sound good.  There are still millions of people who could become victims of DeSantis' policies. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

I think their plan is just have everyone contract the virus and get herd immunity by that means. Collateral damage be damned. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

The scary part is there are those who still support Gov DeSantis. Who cares how many people will become infected, hospitalized, or even die because of his policies, right? 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago

Just said that. Once again I need to read a seed before commenting...Haha

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago

Herd immunity by that means only gives the virus enormously more potential to mutate.  There will never be immunity to whatever the latest variant is.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.4    3 years ago

You're totally misinformed.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
EO that doesn't allow the cities/counties/school districts to mandate masks for school kids

Just stupidity. Even in my red state school districts are now having a mask mandate for start of the year.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

DeSantis ALSO allowed the telemedicine provision to expire, which means that immunocompromised people now MUST travel to a medical facility and risk exposure. Perfect timing no? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    3 years ago

covid delta variant, natures way of dealing with the willfully ignorant...

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1  Dulay  replied to  devangelical @3    3 years ago

The willfully unvaccinated are voluntary members of the 'control group".

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    3 years ago

The Trump virus was bad but this new DeSantis variant is even worse.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  Gordy327  replied to  SteevieGee @4    3 years ago

They're both equally bad.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Does is it ever occur to the Anti Desantis  crowd to wonder why the media obsessively attacks him, despite florida having a below average covid fatality rate, while it gives a pass to states with much worse fatality rates, like Michigan, New Jersey, Illinois, new  York, Massachusetts etc…?

Can you not feel the hand in your back? Seems like it would be uncomfortable.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    3 years ago

I'll tell you why.  Given a choice between protecting the school children in his state from serious illness and sucking up to Trump hoping for a VP run he's chosen to try and advance his career.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  SteevieGee @5.1    3 years ago

iven a choice between protecting the school children

How many school children in Florida died from Covid? 

Do you think kids should be allowed to swim? Go on boats? Go in cars?  Do you think politicians who let kids swim are failing to protect them? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    3 years ago
How many school children in Florida died from Covid?

12 as of June 1st and currently 32 per day are being hospitalized with Covid.

Florida leads the nation in kids hospitalized for COVID

| 8/3/2021

Florida leads the nation in kids hospitalized for COVID

The Sunshine State leads the nation in another alarming coronavirus statistic: Kids hospitalized with COVID-19. Florida had 32 pediatric COVID-19 hospitalizations per day between July 24 and 30, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adjusted for population, that’s 0.76 kids hospitalized per 100,000 residents, the highest rate in the country. The Florida Department of Health reported 10,785 new COVID-19 infections among children under 12 between July 23 and 29. That’s an average of 1,540 new cases per day. [Source:   Tampa Bay Times ]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    3 years ago

Per your link 7 kids under 16 died from Covid since March 2020.

By contrast, 63 kids have drowned in Florida this year alone.

Let's talk about understanding risk.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    3 years ago

Nice deflection, you want to talk about risk, 32 kids a day are being hospitalized. I'm sure that the parents aren't thinking about how many kids drown, but if their kid is going to survive, what long-term effects he/she is going to have just for starters. 

How about how many kids died from cancer or other diseases, not mandating masks so all the kids can go back to school safely is as stupid as one can get. Seems that you're on that side of stupid. 

Let me know when there is a mask that will help mitigate drowning, cancer, or auto accidents. 

It's so simple, masks help, a great deal. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @5.1.4    3 years ago
Nice deflection,

You don't know what that means, do you? I literally expounded on my original post that you responded  to.  Probably should figure that out before worrying about anything else. 

ow about how many kids died from cancer or other diseases,

You think masks stop kids from dying of cancer? Be careful throwing around the word stupid, pal. 

s so simple, masks help, a great deal. 

So you and  your kids constantly wore  masks to prevent against Chicken pox? Prior to the vaccination, chicken pox was as deadly as covid 19, yet I bet you were on the side of stupid, as you put it, and didn't keep you and  your kids masked up. Probably exposed them to swimming too.  

But yeah, harming kids immune systems by not exposing them to viruses and panicking them about a virus as deadly as chicken pox for kids will surely have no long term physical and mental consequences.  Wrapping kids in bubble wrap, scaring them about remote dangers  and never exposing them to everyday viruses and bacteria  is the best way to build a healthy immune system, eh Kavika?  Wait until these kids are adults and the issues they are going to deal with because of this hysteria. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.5    3 years ago
You don't know what that means, do you? 

Sure do, you deflect on a regular basis. 

You think masks stop kids from dying of cancer? Be careful throwing around the word stupid, pal. 

Try re reading the comment or perhaps it's above your paygrade to understand.

So you and  your kids constantly wore  masks to prevent against Chicken pox? Prior to the vaccination, chicken pox was as deadly as covid 19, yet I bet you were on the side of stupid, as you put it, and didn't keep you and  your kids masked up. Probably exposed them to swimming too.  

LMAO, WTF are you babbling on about. It's COVID we are talking about.

But yeah, harming kids immune systems by not exposing them to viruses and panicking them about a virus as deadly as chicken pox for kids will surely have no long term physical and mental consequences.  Wrapping kids in bubble wrap, scaring them about remote dangers  and never exposing them to everyday viruses and bacteria  is the best way to build a healthy immune system, eh Kavika?  Wait until these kids are adults and the issues they are going to deal with because of this hysteria. 

Since the medical community is in agreement that masks are very helpful I'll go with their advice vs yours. 

BTW, currently in Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami, there are 17 kids hospitalized, 6 of which are in ICU and one on a ventilator. 

Yup, nothing serious at all.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.5    3 years ago

Sean, do you think U.S. children should be vaccinated against covid 19 ?  Or should they be required to deal with it "naturally" ? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.5    3 years ago
Prior to the vaccination, chicken pox was as deadly as covid 19

Are you seriously comparing the medicine of 1900 and that of today? 

Wow. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.1.9  SteevieGee  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    3 years ago
Per your link 7 kids under 16 died from Covid since March 2020. By contrast, 63 kids have drowned in Florida this year alone.

Tell that to the parents of these kids whose chest xrays now show lungs that look like prunes.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.10  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @5.1.9    3 years ago

I would certainly hate if any children of liberal or independent parents died due to inconsiderate trumpsters.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    3 years ago

JFC.  Unfuckingreal

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.5    3 years ago
So you and  your kids constantly wore  masks to prevent against Chicken pox? Prior to the vaccination, chicken pox

And yet people get their kids vaccinated against chicken pox. Why do you think that is?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @5.1.8    3 years ago

I was comparing it to 1994 before vaccine was released. Try and engage honestly.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.12    3 years ago

When did I even suggest kids should be vaccinated against the pox or covid?

Did you wear a mask for years to ward off the chicken pox and protect others from it? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.12    3 years ago

desantis-covid-meme.jpg

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.7    3 years ago

you think U.S. children should be vaccinated against covid 1

Sure.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.17  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.13    3 years ago
I was comparing it to 1994 before vaccine was released. Try and engage honestly.

You want honesty Sean? 

Your claim:

Prior to the vaccination, chicken pox was as deadly as covid 19

Is dishonest. 

You want to stay in the 1990s? 

Between 1990-1994 there were a total of 525 deaths in the US from Chicken Pox.

Hell, from 1970-1994 there were 2262 total deaths here. In the US, Covid killed more than that in a DAY. 

If you chose to review the FACTS before spewing utter bullshit, you would KNOW that. 

How's THAT for honesty?

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    3 years ago

I see that Louisiana has a new mask mandate out this morning.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

Another 17,000 cases on Monday and it looks like over 17,000 again today in Florida.

No worries, nothing to see here. /s

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

I swear, I think he and some others want everyone infected. It is their warped thinking that it will lead to herd immunity...

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

My sister told me last night she wants to go to Kissemmee to visit some family she has never met in person. She's vaxxed but she's understandably worried AND she's never been on a plane before.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @7.2    3 years ago

I would certainly tell her to hold off for a bit. 

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @7.2.1    3 years ago

I don't think she's in too big a hurry. Who know with her though. It's a 50/50 toss up she goes next month or never.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @7.2.1    3 years ago

Maybe Skype for now would be better.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     3 years ago

Florida has recorded 50,997 cases in 3 days, and hospitalizations break a record

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

Ten to one, 90% of them are unvacinated idiots.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

Wow jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png   You and Red stay safe.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2    3 years ago

Since that was posted Florida has exceeded that number by thousands. In the last three days we have recorded 60,000 plus new cases. Over 22,000 today and 199 deaths. Over 12,000 in the hospital and 135 kids hospitalized, over 2700 people in ICU. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @8.2.1    3 years ago

And ignorant fucking idiots are comparing this to chicken pox.

That ignorance from DeSantis and his ignorant idiot supporters is killing people.

So many dead and dying thanks to these scumbags.  

DeSantis and all these scum bags like Taylor Greene need to be held criminally responsible.

Ignorant idiots see this scumbag as presidential material.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.3  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

make sure you're masked up if coming into contact with any trumpsters.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.3.1  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @8.3    3 years ago
make sure you're masked up if coming into contact with any trumpsters.

One might need a full hazmat suit.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Kavika   replied to  Gordy327 @8.3.1    3 years ago

At the rate the new Covid cases are raising a full hazmat suit may be required.

Today the number of new cases in Florida was 23,903 with another 93 deaths. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.3.3  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @8.3.2    3 years ago

Thank you Gov. Covid. >sarc<