╌>

Trump to invoke executive privilege in Jan. 6 House probe

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  153 comments

By:   ERIC TUCKER and MARY CLARE JALONICK O (AP NEWS)

Trump to invoke executive privilege in Jan. 6 House probe
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump intends to assert executive privilege in a congressional investigation into the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, a move that could prevent the testimony of onetime aides , according to a letter on behalf of the former president.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By ERIC TUCKER and MARY CLARE JALONICKOctober 8, 2021 GMT1 of 2 Former President Donald Trump speaks during his Save America rally in Perry, Ga., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. (AP Photo/Ben Gray) 1 of 2 Former President Donald Trump speaks during his Save America rally in Perry, Ga., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. (AP Photo/Ben Gray)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump intends to assert executive privilege in a congressional investigation into the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, a move that could prevent the testimony of onetime aides, according to a letter on behalf of the former president.

The letter went to at least some witnesses who were subpoenaed by the House committee and it makes clear that Trump plans to invoke privileges meant to protect presidential communications from being shared with Congress. The substance of the letter from a lawyer for Trump was described Thursday by a person familiar with it who spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the letter was not yet public.

Spokespeople for Trump did not immediately return messages seeking comment. Trump said in a statement last month that he would "fight the Subpoenas on Executive Privilege and other grounds, for the good of our Country."

The move sets the stage for a likely clash with House Democrats who are investigating the roles of Trump and his allies in the run-up to the riot, when a large mob of Trump supporters broke into the Capitol as Congress was certifying the results of the presidential election won by Democrat Joe Biden. The committee is rapidly issuing subpoenas to individuals who are either connected to Trump or who helped plan the massive rally on the morning of Jan. 6 at which he told his supporters to "fight like hell."

The committee, which was formed over the summer, last month issued subpoenas to Mark Meadows, Trump's former chief of staff; Dan Scavino, the former deputy chief of staff for communications; Kashyap Patel, a former Defense Department official; and Steve Bannon, a former Trump adviser. It was not immediately clear how those witnesses would respond to Trump's action or what consequences they might face if they refuse to cooperate.

Patel said in a statement that he will "continue to tell the American people the truth about January 6." It did not say whether he would comply.

Committee members have said they plan to try and move swiftly to obtain testimony and documents should any witnesses refuse to cooperate. Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., tweeted that if the Trump associates do not comply, "they can be subject to criminal contempt."

Charging the Trump associates with contempt could still be a lengthy process, including votes of the full House and potential court proceedings.

Because Trump no longer is in office, he cannot directly assert privilege to keep witnesses quiet or documents out of the hands of Congress. As the current president, Biden will have some say in the matter.

The committee has issued more than a dozen subpoenas to people linked to plans for the Jan. 6 protests, including three additional witnesses announced Thursday. Those individuals would be less likely to get help from Trump's executive privilege claims, which would be limited to people who worked in the White House.

The committee chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said subpoenas had gone to Ali Abdul Akbar, also known as Ali Alexander, and Nathan Martin, as well the organization " Stop the Steal, " to learn more about a rally that was planned on the Capitol grounds at the same time as the larger gathering on the National Mall. The committee earlier subpoenaed 11 other individuals connected to the planning of that larger rally.

According to the committee, Alexander released a statement after the riot linking "Stop the Steal" to the Capitol rally permit and explaining that the intention was to direct attendees of the larger rally to march to the Capitol. The panel cited reports that Alexander had made reference "to the possible use of violence to achieve the organization's goals" and had been in communication with the White House and members of Congress.

"The rally on the Capitol grounds on January 6th, like the rally near the White House that day, immediately preceded the violent attack on the seat of our democracy," Thompson said in a statement. "Over the course of that day, demonstrations escalated to violence and protestors became rioters."

Thompson said the committee "needs to understand all the details about the events that came before the attack, including who was involved in planning and funding them."

Alexander has claimed lawmakers helped him plan the rally that led to the siege on the Capitol. He has been in Trump's orbit for a few years, even being among the participants of Trump's "Presidential Social Media Summit" in July 2019 that included dozens of other conservative voices and far-right provocateurs.

In October 2020, the Arizona Republican Party appeared to ask supporters to consider giving their lives to keep Trump in office, retweeting Alexander's pledge on Twitter that he was "willing to give my life for this fight."

Associated Press writers Jill Colvin, Ben Fox and Farnoush Amiri contributed to this report.

All contents © copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

Nancy should have Trump hauled before Congress!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago
Nancy should have Trump hauled before Congress!

Nancy Pelosi should try to pass some infrastructure bills--if she can any more.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    3 years ago

Are all your pictures inane and have nothing to do with any actual comment here?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago

original

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago

That's what it looks like.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.3    3 years ago

I guess the answer was yes.

Shocking!

LOL!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.6  CB  replied to  JBB @1.1.3    3 years ago

I have been laughing at this since Sunday each time I cross it. But you want to know something: I just got the "My pillow" joke. . . about the pillow!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago

Trump should have been in prison many, many years ago. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

They are trying to figure out how to get a fork lift through the doors.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

original

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Not a surprise Delusional Don still believes that he is president.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Amazes me these idiots.

The fruitloop dingus in the article will lay down his life for donald?

I keep telling people that TDS is real. People just look on the wrong side of the isle for it.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

original

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.3  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Narcissism knows no bounds.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

Uh, as far as I know, an x president has no executive privilege as he is no longer the executive...

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago

Turns out an ex-president does have some claim to executive privileges.  Executive privilege is not a blanket coverage, it does have limits but it also would probably require both parties go to court. And just because the House investigative committee gets to see & hear certain things there is no guarantee that info would be allowed out  to the public.

Either the sitting president or a former president during whose term an allegedly privileged document was created may assert executive privilege. President Barack Obama issued Executive Order 13489 on his second day in office, which sets out procedures permitting both current and former presidents to invoke executive privilege with respect to presidential records kept in the National Archives, and defining the role of the Archivist of the United States in making these records public.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    3 years ago

We know how the left works. If something comes from documents that show Trump in a bad light, those documents will be leaked. On the other hand, if there is a nothingburger, in which most Americans expect, then the silence by the losers on the committee will be deafening.....and their loon cult followers will follow likewise blindly.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.1.1    3 years ago

Your opinionated opinion. We do know how some conservatives work! Just look at two impeachments later. Historians, if properly constituted and this country does not turn into a 'glory-hole' for thieves and mobsters to ply their trades through it, are going to have many 'field days' with this period we're plowing 'under.'

Trump is a special 'bad light.'

You give 'comfort' and possibly your support to a sick, mentally diseased, committed liar.

Somebody, some conservatives, is going to need deprogramming after Donald's 'terror reign' has ended.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.2    3 years ago

Gee, who is going to deprogram the progressive liberals who want higher taxes and more "social net" spending, more illegal aliens, and amnesty for the the illegal aliens already here? 

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 years ago

How is any of that done in plain sight even relatable to living in a fantasy-land created in Donald Trump and conservative think-tankers heads? Believing lies as true is a failure of a test of true character; paling around with home-grown terrorists for intimidation and shits and giggles is a failure of decency, and attempting to gaslight good people of all ages for selfish and prejudicial reasons just so some conservatives can pretend to be somebodies (they are not) is just freakishly delusional on the part of the doers.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.4    3 years ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    3 years ago

IMPASSE.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    3 years ago
Turns out an ex-president does have some claim to executive privileges. 

He is a private citizen, just like me, you and everyone else. He cannot claim executive privilege. On top of that, he cannot claim executive privilege to cover up a crime even if he could claim executive privilege. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    3 years ago

I didn't like a lot of the things Obama did. Sounds too much like they are all covering their asses.

Seems to me, none of them should have any executive 'privilege'.

That is bullshit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @4.1.8    3 years ago

The idea behind executive privilege is that the president should be able to keep communications within his "office" private. The idea being otherwise you couldnt get people to give the president candid or uncomfortable or controversial advice. 

The problem is the category of "executive privilege " is too easily abused. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.10  CB  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.7    3 years ago

Besides that, he and some conservatives don't have any sense of decency or esprit de corps (the spirit of the thing); these people are just coarse takers and nasty destroyers.

Why should anybody follow rules and regulations when one side is 'carving' out the ways and means to circumvent them for themselves?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.11  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    3 years ago
The problem is the category of "executive privilege " is too easily abused. 

By scoundrels and misfits who hold the office. (You can NOT be decent to indecent rascals.)

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.12  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.1.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.13  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.1.12    3 years ago

That's your problem, not one I can help you solve. Oh wait, let me see if I have something I can give—sorry, not a thing. Use what you can of it anyway and throw out the rest or hell throw it all out if you wish (it's served its purpose already).

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.14  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.1.13    3 years ago
That's your problem, not one I can help you solve. Oh wait, let me see if I have something I can give—sorry, not a thing. Use what you can of it anyway and throw out the rest or hell throw it all out if you wish (it's served its purpose already)

My God...what in the hell?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.15  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.1.14    3 years ago

Invoking God (at this point): PRICELESS.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.16  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.1.15    3 years ago
That's your problem, not one I can help you solve. Oh wait, let me see if I have something I can give—sorry, not a thing. Use what you can of it anyway and throw out the rest or hell throw it all out if you wish (it's served its purpose already)

OK..is this better?

What the hell?

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    3 years ago

This is what goes for our nation's biggest "DICK" as smarts. He just throws chaos plays into the mix and sat back and watch the delay in cookin'.We have too many smart(er) people in this country who can tie this OLD FART up in legalities—stop with the laxity! Do your jobs!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Trump can't exert shit.  Only a sitting POTUS can do that.  But as usual, Trump thinks he can still do anything he wants.  It is far past time to slap him with criminal obstruction charges and start polling a jury.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

He can exert on communication between himself and the people in question during the time that he was President. I guess the committee could go to court to try to get the info over the claim of executive privilege and maybe the committee will get what it wants if the Supreme Court makes a final decision in the case in the next 14 months.  

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  CB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2    3 years ago

Interesting. And some conservatives are the riff-rap that say that government does not work properly. Seems Artful Liar and side-men and women are government abusers! They should remember that the next time they open their 'traps' to complain about government 'power' and insufficiency. Using government to 'fux up" and dismiss right in flavor of wrong is SICK AND PERVERT'D.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago
But as usual, Trump thinks he can still do anything he wants.

He has already told his "people" to ignore any subpoenas the House committee issues.  Hopefully the committee will show some balls and have anyone arrested that chooses not to comply with their legal subpoenas.

CB
Professor Principal
6.3.1  CB  replied to  Ozzwald @6.3    3 years ago

I say do it. Indeed the paperwork should have been written up and held in "waiting." Democrats are making the same PISSY AND STUPID MISTAKES they always do in critical junctures. Anticipate bull patty already and be nimble enough to nip this patty in the bud!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.3.1    3 years ago
Democrats are making the same PISSY AND STUPID MISTAKES they always do in critical junctures.

And yet, your heroes are still getting elected and reelected despite the fact you just posted about them.

Why is it that you revel in voting for such utter ineptitude?

CB
Professor Principal
6.3.3  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.2    3 years ago

Please spare me this misadventure of propaganda. You support deliberate liars, misfits, scoundrels, and slanted governance. What nerve you have to even speak 'aloud' about pissy and stupid mistakes.

I support the democratic party because they see people of color as having real value and are working to make that value permanent and highly positioned in the party. Whereas, well proper conservatives are standing outside the republican party watching "frat-house" and "racketeers" running what appears to be a frenzied alternative of their political home.

I want absolutely nothing to do with poisonous, toxic republicans!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.3.3    3 years ago

Actually YOU spoke of pissy and stupid mistakes you attributed to your brilliant Democratic leaders.

For once, you were 100% spot on in describing what they continue to do--screw up!

CB
Professor Principal
6.3.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.4    3 years ago

You would think so, Trump (racketeer) supporter. Let me know when I can expect something other from your pen.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.3.5    3 years ago

Do you wish to argue with me for agreeing with you about Democrats making mistakes?

Seems rather pointless and silly to me, so, sorry, I won't be participating.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.3.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.2    3 years ago
And yet, your heroes are still getting elected and reelected despite the fact you just posted about them.

The reason for that is simple. 

Yes democrats make mistakes, but they try. 

Republicans simply break the laws and expect to get away with it.

Democrats at least try to govern for the country.

Republicans look at government service simply and entirely as a way to pad their wallets.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @6.3.7    3 years ago

Amusing post.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.3.9  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @6.3    3 years ago
Hopefully the committee will show some balls and have anyone arrested that chooses not to comply with their legal subpoenas.

It's my understanding that the Committee can only vote on contempt and then forward the matter to the DoJ and they, at their own discretion, prosecute the individual. It would be a lengthy and politically fraught process.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
6.3.10  Duck Hawk  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.8    3 years ago

But true.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.3.11  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.8    3 years ago
Amusing post.

Yea that was pretty freaking hilarious.

How can anyone actually believe that bs?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.12  Texan1211  replied to  Duck Hawk @6.3.10    3 years ago
But true.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @6.3.11    3 years ago
How can anyone actually believe that bs?

A lifetime of being spoon-fed the "news" and listening to the proclamations from progressive liberals?

Just gullible?

Who really knows?

LOL!

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.3.14  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.13    3 years ago
A lifetime of being spoon-fed the "news" and listening to the proclamations from progressive liberals?

Just gullible?

Who really knows?

All the above

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.15  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.13    3 years ago

I truly cannot imagine how your comments in this thread could be any more worthless...

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.16  seeder  JBB  replied to  bugsy @6.3.14    3 years ago

What exactly is your point regarding Trump claiming executive privilege for January 6th?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.3.17  bugsy  replied to  JBB @6.3.16    3 years ago

Why wouldn't he?

Leftists are going to be leftists and try and find a crime. They already have the person they hate. This is just basically a replay of Russia Russia Russia with nothing but disappointment form the leftist side when absolutely nothing is found that they think should be there.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.3.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @6.3    3 years ago

They can expect federal arrest warrants if they do ignore them.  Then Trump will just throw them under his bus with "I never told them to do that."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.19  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.3.15    3 years ago
I truly cannot imagine how your comments in this thread could be any more worthless...

Maybe you should learn to expand your imagination.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"Because Trump no longer is in office, he cannot directly assert privilege to keep witnesses quiet or documents out of the hands of Congress. As the current president, Biden will have some say in the matter."

There seems to be a hell of a lot of contradiction here - either he can or he can't, and either he can be made to testify or he can't.....what a damned mess, which I'm beginning to doubt is ever going to bear fruit.  Not only do the wheels of justice need some WD40, they might not turn at all. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago
There seems to be a hell of a lot of contradiction here - either he can or he can't,

That's right Buzz and some of our friends don't know it yet, but this purely political issue is heading right for the Courts. 

what a damned mess

There is a strategy to it. The democrats want this to be in the news right up until the midterm elections. They somehow think that invoking Trump is going to save them from the wrath of the American people.

which I'm beginning to doubt is ever going to bear fruit.

Nope.

Not only do the wheels of justice need some WD40, they might not turn at all. 

We hardly knew it.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    3 years ago

original

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    3 years ago
The democrats want this to be in the news right up until the midterm elections.

Hopefully longer than that. The GOP milked Benghazi for YEARS, and, right up to the election in 2016. The day after the election? Disappeared like a fart in the wind which proves it never was anything than a political football. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.3  CB  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.2    3 years ago

I am totally disgusted that Donald Trump can "punk" the American system at will while regular decent folks are hauled in and pressured to deliver themselves to the "mercies" of the system. For example, Hillary Clinton could have been indecent, crude, rude, and on a 'war footing' to tell the Benghazi Commission to politely take her to court and it would have been a direct correlation to this jerk-ass Donald Trump and his bevy of punky lawyers.

Why should ordinary people obey rules, decency, policies, and laws when the so-called 'modelers' of this country are displaying contempt for the same? It it time, people to either make this "patty" work out as it should or we all go "home" and forget societal rules of "engagement."

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    3 years ago
The democrats want this to be in the news right up until the midterm elections.  They somehow think that invoking Trump is going to save them from the wrath of the American people.

Of course they do.  They hope it will distract from the travesty the Democrats have created.  Even after several law enforcement agencies come to the conclusion that Trump didn't instigate a damn thing on 6 January, the Democrats continue to waste time and money on, yet another, dead horse.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.4    3 years ago
Trump didn't instigate a damn thing on 6 January, the Democrats continue to waste time and money on, yet another, dead horse.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.5    3 years ago

Just 2 things.

[deleted]

2.  You actually think a meme is proving me wrong or something?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

What is evidenced here is republicans are not participants in good governance in the United States. That is plain to see! The system has plugs left out of it in order to work for (WHITE MALE DOMINATED) a majority that can manipulate it to their misdeeds and crimes and yet shut up and "bang the patty" out of people of color and yes, the rank and file citizenry.

And as you see (@7.1) some conservatives are "all-in" on the in-balance and inequality of outcomes!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  CB @7.2    3 years ago
"What is evidenced here is republicans are not participants in good governance in the United States."
That's been so obvious ever since the days of Newt Gingrich.  It always takes a Democrat President to clean up their messes and try to get things back in order.  Their constant obstruction when a Democrat is President is also typical.  And when nothing happens due to the gqp obstruction/not doing dick - it's all blamed on Democrats, as usual.   

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.2  CB  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.1    3 years ago

I blame democrats for falling into the traps set for them by scoundrels and misfit politicians in the republican party. Some of this is inexcusable ignorance or negligence on the part of democrats who fall into the same traps. For example, Biden is too rehearsed and well-practiced (as informed and educated as Lyndon B. Johnson) on the ways of the Senate to have not seen Sistema and Manchin present conduct from a far off!

This 'noise,' this droning day in and day out in "friendly" media (and on opposition papers and news outlets) - on and offline over the "Build Back Better" plan should not have been a surprise to a leader who laboriously withstood the onslaught getting the Affordable Healthcare Plan passed. The republicans USED the media expertly and whipped democrats in the mid-terms handedly using the confusion and ambiguity about the new law to take away Obama's advantage in the House.

Looks like we are on the same 'slide' into the midterms. Pass the DAMN LAW already. Get it out off the news and the 'talking heads' playlist!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.2    3 years ago
Looks like we are on the same 'slide' into the midterms. Pass the DAMN LAW already. Get it out off the news and the 'talking heads' playlist!

Nancy Pelosi is seemingly having a very hard time herding her cats.

She can't get enough votes to even pass the real infrastructure bill passed by the Senate, even though that is what bipartisanship looks like on paper.

On the bright side, perhaps Biden learned not to torpedo his own damn legislation. Maybe.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.1    3 years ago
Their constant obstruction when a Democrat is President is also typical.  And when nothing happens due to the gqp obstruction/not doing dick - it's all blamed on Democrats, as usual.   

So to recap:

When Democrats are in  the majority, the GOP holds power and obstructs the Democrats.

When Democrats are in the minority, they are seemingly powerless to do anything at all to block the GOP.

Can't lead while in the majority OR minority.

Why would you continue to vote for such ineptness?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.3    3 years ago

Where are the non-toxic republican house members voice of support in this? Oh wait!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.5    3 years ago

Voice of support for WHAT?

The $3.5 trillion boondoggle or the BIPARTISAN, REAL INFRASTRUCTURE bill passed by the Senate that the House Progressive Caucus is keeping from getting voted on in the House, despite Pelosi saying multiple times she would hold a vote on?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.2    3 years ago
to have not seen Sistema and Manchin present conduct from a far off!

Moderate, responsible Senators behaving moderately and responsibly?  I dunno, it's rare enough that I can see how it would take someone by surprise.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.3    3 years ago
Nancy Pelosi is seemingly having a very hard time herding her brats.

There.  I fixed that for you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.8    3 years ago

I humbly accept the correction!

Thanks!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.10  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.6    3 years ago

For what? Human "infrastructure." We have a population of citizens running on 'fumes' and headed toward moral, spiritual, and physical burn-out. It is nice to fix roads and inert things, but if you break people and have them laying around-this nation will pay for it properly. In catastrophic loss.

Incidentally, republicans and conservatives have made it plain that you all don't give a patootie about people and health. But that does not in any way mean the democratic party has to play into that anemic line of thinking. People build those roads, buildings, and etceteras, thus when people are played out brainpower, ideas, and life as we know it will suffer/end.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.11  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.7    3 years ago

Jack really. The issue with Sistema and Manchin is not what moderation they have expressed. It is that these two have been respectfully heard by their peers in the democratic party, and the party wants to move on anyway with its promises and goals for constituents for the party's sake. Yet the two senators obstruct. In effect, their activity on this human infrastructure bill is similar or the same as the 50 republicans who do not give any damn about citizen health for its own sake!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.10    3 years ago
People build those roads, buildings, and etceteras, thus when people are played out brainpower, ideas, and life as we know it will suffer/end

Man, that makes a good argument for Democrats to get off their collective asses and pass the infrastructure bill they are sitting on. Why are progressive liberals so dead-set against passing the bill NOW when they keep claiming it is all some crisis that must be acted on?

Please don't invent a crisis and expect Democrats to solve it.

BTW, why is the government responsible for moral and spiritual well-being of citizens?

Some of us don't need nor want governmental coddling from cradle to grave.

13c374.jpg

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.13  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.8    3 years ago

Brats?! Brats?! Donald Trump, formerly president of the United States, deliberately and with malice ran the ship of his presidency hard 'aground' and yet you remain as crewmen aboard a wrecked vessel with him and you want to declare the other party trying to help good, innocent, out of the messes we keeping finding ourselves standing knee-deep in? Jack, jokes are supposed to be funny; not insidiously depressing!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.11    3 years ago
The issue with Sistema and Manchin is not what moderation they have expressed. It is that these two have been respectfully heard by their peers in the democratic party, and the party wants to move on anyway with its promises and goals for constituents for the party's sake. Yet the two senators obstruct. In effect, their activity on this human infrastructure bill is similar or the same as the 50 republicans who do not give any damn about citizen health for its own sake!

Everyone who doesn't toe the progressive liberal line is an obstructionist to Democrats hell-bent on inflicting their wants on America.

So pass it already, OR get smart, Democrats, and start compromising.

Oh, that's right, they CAN'T pass it!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.15  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.9    3 years ago

A mention of humility from you? Forgive me for I didn't see that coming. Oh wait. It is when a fellow con (abbrev.) supports political hackmanship. Got it!

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.16  bugsy  replied to  CB @7.2.13    3 years ago
Brats?! Brats?!

Yes, brats....

liberal crybaby brats

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.15    3 years ago
Forgive me for I didn't see that coming.

No forgiveness necessary.

I know you can't help what you believe.

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.2.18  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.12    3 years ago

Nice photo of Manilla, when was it moved to the US?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.18    3 years ago

It is a meme.

You get that, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.20  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.18    3 years ago
when was it moved to the US?

Not moved.

For your edification:

City Name: MANILLA, IN | Indiana United States ZIP Code 5 Plus 4 ✉️ (postcodebase.com)

City Name: MANILLA, IN

MANILLA is located in Indiana, US. The ZIP Code for MANILLA is 46150. For more information, please see details below, such as: MANILLA basic information, ZIP Code list, ZIP+4 Code list, Interactive map, and etc.

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.2.21  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.19    3 years ago

In adult language, it is propaganda.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.21    3 years ago

SMH

Sadly.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.23  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.12    3 years ago

Your meme is "stupid passion" meant to fool brainwash conservatives into believing a lie. It's propaganda, but not for the masses. It's meant to trap yourselves.

Some conservatives/republicans are bigoted, misogynistic, selfish, curmudgeons who demonize people not like themselves while all the while proclaiming themselves to be light. Light? I think not. This is supposed (it is not now) to be an aspiring nation seeking unity for all, but conservatives acting in the republican party have always been trying to split and slant rights and privileges to themselves that they won't allow liberals to enjoy.

As for your lying meme, where do I start?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a democrat president, who had to die to get replaced in the presidency because rank and file Americans adored him so stated this:

"I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished. . . . The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

Also he stated this:

The right of every family to a decent home.

A democratic president put the great depression out of business. Who modernized Hoover Dam and thus, provided electrical power for poor citizens of our nation. That shit-show meme of your is dishonest and 'hasty' and lacking in value, but you did not let that stop you from posting it.

Yes, republicans lied on FDR too. And begrudged him the good he did on behalf of the common citizens of his day.

That meme of your is "stupid passion" meant to fool conservatives into believing a lie. It's propaganda.

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.2.24  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.20    3 years ago

Do inform me when the photo you posted matches anything in Manilla, IN which is not even a village. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.23    3 years ago
Some conservatives'republicans are bigoted, misogynistic, selfish, curmudgeons who demonize people not like themselves while all the while proclaiming themselves to be light.

Wow. how earth-shattering.

You DO mean just like some progressive liberals, eh?

republican party have always been trying to split and slant rights and privileges to themselves that they won't allow liberals to enjoy.

I would ask for some proof of that, but we both know how that would play out already, so I will simply dismiss it as not worth addressing further.

And BTW, Obama was responsible for the cradle-to-grave memes being pushed because that was on the Democratic Party wish-list.

Democrats suddenly want to distance themselves from Obama-era Democratic policies?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.26  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.24    3 years ago
Do inform me when the photo you posted matches anything in Manilla, IN which is not even a village. 

Will it make any difference in your life?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.27  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.14    3 years ago
Everyone who doesn't toe the progressive liberal line is an obstructionist to Democrats hell-bent on inflicting their wants on America.

Ditto, repub/con 'cowboy.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.27    3 years ago

You best "purge" yourself of all Democrats who don't think exactly alike for your Utopia to ever become a reality.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.24    3 years ago

Okay, here you are:

800px-Manilla%2C_Indiana.jpg

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.30  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.12    3 years ago
Some of us don't need nor want governmental coddling from cradle to grave.

No one on the democratic side is asking for 'cradle to grave' care, but you are welcome to buy and patty that gives you a reason to continue as a Trump (racketeer) supporter. I'm sorry that you lack a sense of association with the whole of the citizenry. (It's not our fault, some conservatives are greedy, selfish, capitalist, isolationsts.)

BTW, thank you for acknowledging albeit indirectly some conservatives' puckering and 'selling out' (the citizenry) just to get ahead in life. Trump has bought the republican party cheap; all for the asking price of its conscience.

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.2.31  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.29    3 years ago

Where are the palm trees, I don't see any?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.32  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.17    3 years ago

Hurry! Cover your eyes! Your hands are 'hard at work' typing words you can't possibly believe!

Actually, I can't believe in someone or something I can't trust. Get it straight.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.30    3 years ago
No one on the democratic side is asking for 'cradle to grave' care,

Obama certainly pushed it.

Here,  you can read all about it here, then deny it.

Obama's 'Life of Julia' is the wrong vision for America | CNN

BTW, thank you for acknowledging albeit indirectly some conservatives' puckering and 'selling out' (the citizenry) just to get ahead in life.

Some conservatives are like that. So are some progressive liberals. But oddly enough, only ONE if us "woke" enough to realize that fact and acknowledge it.

Get back to me when you, too, can recognize those facts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.34  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.32    3 years ago
Hurry! Cover your eyes! Your hands are 'hard at work' typing words you can't possibly believe!

What the WHAT???????????????????????????????

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.35  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.31    3 years ago
Where are the palm trees, I don't see any?

I made no claim about palm trees. If you can't see any, perhaps that is simply because they aren't there?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.36  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.25    3 years ago
You DO mean just like some progressive liberals, eh?

You're (like) a progressive liberal now, eh? Well, in that case, you support the "Build Back Better" bill. Oh no? Wait. GOTCHA.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.37  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.25    3 years ago
I would ask for some proof of that, but we both know how that would play out already, so I will simply dismiss it as not worth addressing further.

Ditto.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.38  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.36    3 years ago
You're (like) a progressive liberal now, eh? Well, in that case, you support the "Build Back Better" bill. Oh no? Wait. GOTCHA.

You really should attempt to explain WTF you are talking about.

I know that people are people, and membership in anything--even a political party--doesn't exempt people from acting in any way they choose.

I DO support the Senate-passed real infrastructure bill that progressive liberals refuse to even vote on.

Not so interested in $3.5 TRILLION social spending that will accomplish little besides put us further in debt.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.39  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.37    3 years ago

You made a wholly-unsupported, outlandish claim.

I have been down this road with you before.

I ask for proof after one of your wild-assed claims, get nothing in return besides endless unrelated questions, and then insults.

No thanks today!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.40  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.28    3 years ago

Your tone is starting to 'sputter' and lack. Liberals don't want any "utopia" that ain't going to happen-even if some conservatives cooperate with liberals.

I advise this: Go refresh your 'material.' (Its a tad dry and stale right now. Ugh!)

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.41  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.29    3 years ago

GOTCHA, propaganda 'man.'

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.42  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.39    3 years ago

Now comes the digressing set of bull-patty comments. Yawn. It's been nice but no I won't indulge your arrogance at this point. Unless you have something more substantial to add-bye for now!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.43  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.37    3 years ago
Ditto.

Ask me instead of skirting around, 

What SPECIFICALLY have you asked for proof from me for that I haven't provided to you?

What do you want me to prove to you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.44  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.41    3 years ago

WTF are you talking about?????????????????????

"Got" me how and on what?????????????????????

Please elaborate.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.45  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.33    3 years ago

Well shit. You pulled that old canard out for discussion didn't you? A fictional story (I remember the ad) on a narrow focus; or course, it would be ridiculed by conservatives and blown out of proportion. In like manner, some conservatives thought that putting electricity into poor people's houses (urban/rural) was going toooooo far! Another 'cradle to grave' moment of mocking. Well, what do you say about electricity in your 'home' today, some conservative man?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.46  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.11    3 years ago
Jack really. The issue with Sistema and Manchin is not what moderation they have expressed. It is that these two have been respectfully heard by their peers in the democratic party, and the party wants to move on anyway with its promises and goals for constituents for the party's sake.

That's not how it works.  We don't enact legislation because the majority of a party wants it.  We enact legislation because a majority of Congress believes it's a good idea.  

Yet the two senators obstruct.

You mean they dare to vote their own conscience and represent the moderate voters who elected them.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.47  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.44    3 years ago

This:

13c374.jpg

Ain't this :

800px-Manilla%2C_Indiana.jpg

Some conservative propaganda man.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.48  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.45    3 years ago

You really need to focus on one topic because you are all OVER the place.

Are we talking about decades-old things like electricity production or are we talking about the last 20 years or so?

make up your mind on which one you choose to discuss, make a point that is valid and we'll go from there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.49  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.47    3 years ago

I can't understand the pictures and words for you.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.50  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.46    3 years ago

And some conservatives are promoting "conscience votes" now, eh? Does Donald Trump and his lieutenants know you feel this way?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.51  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.49    3 years ago

We're done here. (-:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.52  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.51    3 years ago

Probably for the best anyways, I was really getting tired awaiting your non-existent "proof" for your wild-assed claims.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.53  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.48    3 years ago

I can't help some conservatives to be nimble, and 'float like a butterfly'! Furthermore, you don't get to tell me what to write, as you are not the 'boss of me.' See what I did there? (Chuckles.)

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.54  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.52    3 years ago

Resulting to indulgent cursing is not a good look, some conservative.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.55  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.53    3 years ago
See what I did there?

yes, right after I had read this, which is untrue, of course.

We're done here.

Anything else you wish to "prove" to me?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.56  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.54    3 years ago
Resulting to indulgent cursing is not a good look, some conservative.

There is no cursing in that post you responded to.

You are going to have to be better than that.

Or at least factual.

And what is "some conservative"???????

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.2.57  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.35    3 years ago
I made no claim about palm trees.

Your 'meme' of 'Detroit' had palm trees in it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.58  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.13    3 years ago
Brats?! Brats?!

I cannot think of a better word for AOC and her angry pouting high school cheer squad.

Donald Trump, formerly president of the United States, deliberately and with malice ran the ship of his presidency hard 'aground'

How is anything Trump did relevant to Biden's $3.5 trillion?

and yet you remain as crewmen aboard a wrecked vessel with him and you want to declare the other party trying to help good, innocent, out of the messes we keeping finding ourselves standing knee-deep in? Jack, jokes are supposed to be funny; not insidiously depressing!

I voted for Biden.  So if I'm a "crewman aboard a wrecked vessel", it's the USS Joe.

But you see, what moderates like Joe and me and Manchin and Sinema and many others get that the extremists are just too stupid to understand is that major legislation takes time, and care, and negotiation.  Nobody gets everything they want.

Some of the ideas put forward are terrible and even your own party won't back you on them.  This is one of those.  

Manchin and Sinema learned a lesson from the Affordable Care Act.  Democrats rejected all the smaller, more effective, less controversial elements of healthcare reform and forced a badly written mega-law down the throats of the American people.  Those American people responded by running the Democrats out of town 7 months later, in the largest midterm reversal in a century.  Democrats didn't regain the house for 8 years and the senate for 10.

Now....having JUST regained power, much of the party is determined to repeat the mistake as quickly as possible.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.59  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @7.2.57    3 years ago

Why, yes, yes it did.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.60  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.56    3 years ago

Well, since I can't disengage your verbal gymnastics 'grappling hooks' . . . I will respond you again when, where, how, I choose and NT permits. For this thread, we are done.

(But, and it's a big but,  that apparently you need to read, I will WRITE BACK AT WILL.)

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.61  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.58    3 years ago
How is anything Trump did relevant to Biden's $3.5 trillion?

Who suggested that moi, was tying Donald Trump to Biden's bills? You were labeling grownup liberals as (spoiled) brats and I wanted to point out for you the one in your midst, Donald J. Trump, who spoiled his own presidency by being a big, fat, sorry excuse for a human being, and having the temerity to corrupt what otherwise might be, might be, okay or decent republican politicians.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.62  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.60    3 years ago

You seem to be arguing yourself.

I said nothing about you not posting to me, I merely pointed out YOUR very own words which quickly proved to be untrue.

Not untrue because of anything I did or said, but untrue because of your words alone.

Bully for you that you know where and when you can post, and don't you let anyone else tell you differently!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.63  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.58    3 years ago
But you see, what moderates like Joe and me and Manchin and Sinema and many others get that the extremists are just too stupid to understand is that major legislation takes time, and care, and negotiation.  Nobody gets everything they want.

There is limited time left. I am not a progressive, per se. I am a pragmatist. So I really do not have a dog in this specific fight. What I am about is its resolution. Because to hang out in the news indefinitely is to hang out ad nauseam. And that will cause nausea in 2022 election cycle results.

Sistema and Manchin have made their point. Now if they can not persuade the rest of the majority party to agree to their 'terms' - it is time to go with the majority. And put a cap on this noise in the media!

That's my opinion of it!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.64  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.58    3 years ago
Democrats rejected all the smaller, more effective, less controversial elements of healthcare reform and forced a badly written mega-law down the throats of the American people. 

Spare me, Jack. Rumors of ACA demise are erroneous. It lives. It thrives. It's forevermore!

Besides, Obama himself told any critic/s who would listen (they did not . . .listen) he was willing to improve the ACA if it made sense to do so. It has been improved and it still thrives!

As for those "smaller, more effective, less controversial elements of healthcare reform. . . ." When did the republican house draft them and what time did they pass muster into law?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.65  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.64    3 years ago
As for those "smaller, more effective, less controversial elements of healthcare reform. . . ." When did the republican house draft them and what time did they pass muster into law?

Just in case you forgot, Democrats were the majority party and passed the ACA all by itself.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.66  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.65    3 years ago

You missed the point. I am not interested in addressing you about it anyway. So, can you just let it brush pass. . . .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.67  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.66    3 years ago
You missed the point.

Looks more like you failed to make one.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.68  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.63    3 years ago
There is limited time left.

Why?  We have three more years of the Biden presidency.

I am not a progressive, per se. I am a pragmatist.

Not by any measure. 

So I really do not have a dog in this specific fight. What I am about is its resolution. Because to hang out in the news indefinitely is to hang out ad nauseam. And that will cause nausea in 2022 election cycle results.

They could have a $1.25trillion infrastructure bill on the President's desk by Friday. 

Sistema and Manchin have made their point. Now if they can not persuade the rest of the majority party to agree to their 'terms' - it is time to go with the majority. And put a cap on this noise in the media! That's my opinion of it!

I think their point may be that the Democratic Party is driving itself off a cliff and needs to stop the bus. Sinema and Manchin are representing their constituencies to the best of their abilities.  They believe (and I think they're probably right) that the voters who sent them to DC will not be enthused about $3.5 trillion of ridiculous overspending.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.69  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.64    3 years ago
Spare me, Jack. Rumors of ACA demise are erroneous. It lives. It thrives. It's forevermore!

Please indicate where I said anything about its demise.  The fact that it stands does not change the fact it was so poorly written even Obama's own Health Secretary called major sections of it "completely unworkable".  It also does not change the fact that Democrats were trounced that fall and have just now regained the Senate.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.70  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.68    3 years ago
There is limited time left.
Why?  We have three more years of the Biden presidency.

MID-TERMS. Campaigning for.

I am not a progressive, per se. I am a pragmatist. Not by any measure. 

Okay, I am more of a progressive-leaning voter than a conservative (by any measure) how about that? That is, I am more concerned about getting good policies done than standing on ideology alone. You see me now?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.71  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.68    3 years ago
I think their point may be that the Democratic Party is driving itself off a cliff and needs to stop the bus. Sinema and Manchin are representing their constituencies to the best of their abilities.  They believe (and I think they're probably right) that the voters who sent them to DC will not be enthused about $3.5 trillion of ridiculous overspending.

I don't know. And I certainly don't get a check (for my lack of active input). Thus, what I desire is a conclusion of the Build Back Better bill 'saga' and its 'pounding' of daily news narratives!

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.72  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.69    3 years ago

The "trouncing" was more or less due to all the noise heaved up into the politic-sphere by activists in the Tea Party. Remember them? Local townhalls? 'Draped' on Capitol Hill steps with posters?

The ACA has withstood conservative and court 'onslaughts' and thus, let it take is its place in the pantheon in peace—OKAY?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.73  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.70    3 years ago
MID-TERMS. Campaigning for.

Surely a president as capable as Biden will have no problem expanding his party's majority.

Okay, I am more of a progressive-leaning voter than a conservative (by any measure) how about that?

That's certainly fair.  I respect that.

That is, I am more concerned about getting good policies done than standing on ideology alone. You see me now?

Personally, and I realize you'll probably feel differently, I think that the $1.25t true infrastructure plan is reasonably good policy.  I think the $3.5t is not, and pressing it is going to prove costly for Democrats in November.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.74  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.73    3 years ago

Okay, then we shall watch for a compromise between 1.25T and 2.25T. How is that? Keep in mind my real goal is getting this out of the news - ASAP!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.75  Texan1211  replied to  CB @7.2.74    3 years ago
Okay, then we shall watch for a compromise between 1.25T and 2.25T. How is that? Keep in mind my real goal is getting this out of the news - ASAP!

Then you should implore your Democrats to pass it instead of arguing amongst themselves about it.

At least pass what seemingly everyone CAN agree on--the $1.2 trillion real infrastructure bill.

But no, Democrats are content to play games.

Game playing time will end after the midterms when the GOP takes control.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2.76  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.75    3 years ago

What does any of your drivel above have to do with Trump claiming executive privilege over records pertaining to his January 6th Riot and Insurrection? I should flag every one of your comments above for off topic and TROLLING!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.77  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.2.76    3 years ago

Do what you think is best.

But please be honest enough to delete every post I responded TO, because they are all off topic, too, and you have allowed every one of them to stand for a day or so.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2.78  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.77    3 years ago

Yes, that is what happens when you troll us.

I made my feelings known to management...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.79  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.2.78    3 years ago

That's nice.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.80  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.74    3 years ago

I think it depends on how it is to be spent. 

I also think it's generally better to break it up into smaller increments.  The parts that are universally perceived to be good ideas will pass easily.  The complete nonsense parts will never get passed, and the debate will center around ideas that may or may not be good, but will be small enough for people to understand.

Out of curiosity, why do you dislike the discussion of it being in the news? 

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.81  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @7.2.80    3 years ago
Why do you dislike the discussion of it being in the news? 

It's empty 'noise.' Noting is solved, passed, or 'bettered' by having the public wake up to this each and every morning! Moreover, I have written to congress and its Speaker about this very 'problem' over spring/summer thereabouts.

As to the "negotiiations" well that is what they are for is to ultimately wrest a conclusion from "a mess" spread out on the table.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.2.82  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @7.2.81    3 years ago
It's empty 'noise.' Noting is solved, passed, or 'bettered' by having the public wake up to this each and every morning!

Fair enough.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.83  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @7.2.76    3 years ago

My dad had a saying....Some people are so full of shit that they have to hang a bucket off of their asses to catch the overflow.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

He CAN'T use executive privilege. Only a sitting POTUS has that privledge.   He CAN be made to testify even if it takes him rotting in jail until he does so.  One week without Diet Coke, pizza, Big Macs, and golf, he will sing like a bird.  Biden has already said it by refusing to stop any and all documents that Trump is scared shitless of becoming public record.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.3    3 years ago

Let's get the show on the road - I'm really looking forward to it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.3.1    3 years ago

When it finally does and it will, popcorn sales will be through the roof.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.3.2    3 years ago

The problem is that the American wheels of justice need a shot of WD40.