╌>

The false prophets who inspired the violence on Jan. 6

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  57 comments

Those who beat cops with American flags should serve long jail sentences. But the most important lesson from that tragic day may come from deconstructing how plutocrats and trust-fund babies deployed propaganda campaigns to push that bloodthirsty mob up the Capitol steps. The “big lie” bloodletting happened at the behest of a slumlord’s son, who inherited more than $400 million and used his presidency to undermine citizens’ faith in their country. His anti-American poison was spread through...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/05/joe-scarborough-false-prophets-jan-6/

Joe Scarborough3-4 minutes1/5/2022

My grandmother’s faith in God sustained her as she struggled to raise her family through the Great Depression, said goodbye to her teenage son as he left for World War II and buried her husband a decade later.

The sounds of Billy Graham’s crusades would fill my grandmom’s Georgia home in the 1970s. A decade later, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker’s “PTL Club” would win her loyalty, as well as her monthly tithes. My parents gently tried warning her that the “PTL” stars were scam artists less interested in her spiritual welfare than in her monthly Social Security checks. Even after being treated rudely by Tammy Faye in a chance encounter, Grandmom kept sending money the Bakkers’ way as they built their empire on the backs of working-class Christians. The dreadful pair’s get-rich schemes leveraged Americans’ love of God for cold, hard cash.

Looking back on the events of Jan. 6, perhaps we should focus more on the false prophets who inspired the violence of that day than the rioters we still highlight on video loops.

Those who beat cops with American flags should serve long jail sentences. But the most important lesson from that tragic day may come from deconstructing how plutocrats and trust-fund babies deployed propaganda campaigns to push that bloodthirsty mob up the Capitol steps.

The “big lie” bloodletting happened at the behest of a slumlord’s son, who inherited more than $400 million and used his presidency to undermine citizens’ faith in their country. His anti-American poison was spread through the arteries of one foreign family’s media empire and soon metastasized across the American heartland.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) on May 3 said former president Donald Trump was "poisoning our democratic system" with his false claims that the election was "stolen." (Reuters)

The targets of their misinformation campaign now await trial or languish in jail while the authors of these phony crises sleep comfortably in their marbled mansions and beachside resorts. They are free to travel the world on their super yachts or private jets while Jan. 6 defendants beg for their freedom in federal court.

What a dichotomy between these plutocrats and the working-class populists they duped into doing their bidding on Jan. 6. The divide between the propaganda they preach and the policies they pursue has become just as stark over the past two decades. Republicans have spent the 21st century embracing a populist brand while tailoring their policies to help the super rich. The result has helped drive perhapsthe greatest wealth redistribution in world history, at the expense of the middle class.

Maybe that explains why every Republican presidential nominee this century has come from the United States’ most powerful families and graduated from the country’s most elite universities. Their fathers ran automobile companies, Midwest industrial states, the United States Navy, New York real estate empires and the country itself. I can hear the voice of my grandmom saying, “To whom much is given, much is expected.” While we have not inherited the wealth and power of these American oligarchs, we have been given a republic. Let us spend the next year doing what we can to save it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Truth

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Yes, it is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

The GOP is now the party of small business, the working class and Hispanic Americans. Special thanks to the elites.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Link, please.

And BTW, are you implying that helping those that need it is a bad thing?  Out of curiosity, did you deposit your Covid stimulus checks, or did you return them because they weren't in line with your beliefs?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    2 years ago
GOP is now the party of small business, the working class and Hispanic Americans

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.1    2 years ago

The blue collar does not own small businesses. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    2 years ago

Where did I say it did? I was going for the working class and Hispanics in general and i beg to differ with you. I know several people who own their own business and still work them as hard as they have forever............yes and in the trenches.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.1.4  goose is back  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    2 years ago
The blue collar does not own small businesses. 

There are thousand upon thousands if not millions of blue collar small businesses. A carpenter who is a one man shop or plumber or electrician, floor layers, tile setters, mechanic, truck drivers do I need to go on.   

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

The GOP is the party of Donald Trump (obviously), and Donald Trump is to the working class as an oil spill is to clean energy.  He is the antithesis of the working man, who personally loathes his sycophantic supporters as much as he loathes his enemies, regardless of the public image he presents.  He loves their praise and their votes, but as human beings they are worth as much as a roll of paper towels thrown across the room at them after a hurricane.  It is tragic that it is taking so long for them to figure out what is so obvious to the rest of us.  There is zero commonality between Trump and anyone who has ever worked hard to keep their family fed.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2    2 years ago

His supportive base is shrinking everyday and he doesn't represent the Republican party or the majority of Republican voters

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.2    2 years ago

He and his army of minions have long passed the threshold of any decent minded conservative to snap back into the Republican fold.  Thanks to him the party is now covered in a filth too toxic for this contingent to return to anytime soon.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.2.4  goose is back  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.3    2 years ago
decent minded conservative to snap back into the Republican fold

What exactly is the "Republican fold"?

CB
Professor Principal
2.3  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Oh, NOW the GOP is the party of "small business, the working class, and Hispanic Americans. And all it took, assuming any of that is true (it's not!), was for the GOP to vomit out what was left of its conscience, swallow lies, deceptions, and one fit FAT deluded man named Donald Trump and his alternative reality!

Well shameless ones, I have news for y'all. Here it is: WE, LIBERALS, ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU BACK YOUR CONSCIENCES.

You can IMAGINE you can go around molesting our society, culture, and government by just putting your head down and bull-dozing everybody down. We are going to expose your nakedness nimbly and aptly.

First, I call on the DOJ to investigate (no matter how long it takes) every instance of a political figure or officeholders being harassed and threatened with physical or mental battery from the public.

Second, I call out every politician and its constituents (back home) who will not CONDEMN and stand by their oaths and passion to protect the Capitol, its government, and its rule of law.

Thirdly, I call on democrats and this democracy to turn their backs on republicans, conservatives, and the GOP -until that 'group of vipers' decide to change its direction and rebuke its recent activities.

Lastly, the some conservative-GOP has declared all out political war on non-affiliated peoples. Accordingly, it ignores comments, activities, and yes pleads to return to 'the fold' of comraderie and sharing with democrats and those not like its members. As a result, democrats and all Americans of good-will and want of better for themselves and their families now forward ACT without regard to the Trump-GOP. As though their, our, only hope reside in and of ourselves.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @2.3    2 years ago

WOW! Such stirring prose!   jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.2  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3.1    2 years ago

Some conservatives GO HEAL THYSELVES!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3.1    2 years ago

looks like someone has a very, very high horse to look down upon people who disagree politically.

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.4  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.3    2 years ago

Join us in the public square some conservatives; the air out here is sufficiently good! Let's go Some Conservatives. The time is now. New beginnings for you. Leave your 'prison' of Trump (Loossseeerrrr!) and rediscovery what it means to live in truth with all people!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.3.4    2 years ago

hilarious drivel

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago
The GOP is now the party of small business, the working class and Hispanic Americans. Special thanks to the elites.

Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. 

goebbelsquote.jpg

cXcx9.jpg

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.4.1  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4    2 years ago

You mean like Russian collusion?

Both of these people would be very proud of liberals, as that lie was told thousands of times by pretty much every leftist in the country.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @2.4.1    2 years ago
You mean like Russian collusion?

Wow, you and Texan1211, it's like you get the same spam email.

No, not like Russian collusion which has been proven by Mueller, Senate Republican led investigation, and admitted to by Trump himself.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.2    2 years ago
o, not like Russian collusion which has been proven by Mueller, Senate Republican led investigation, and admitted to by Trump him

Lol.  and 9/11 was a plot carried out by Queen Elizabeth, eh? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4    2 years ago

"The truth can be made up if you know how." (Lilly Tomlin as Edith Ann)

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.4.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.2    2 years ago

Why don't you just give up on repeating the Big Lie

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.2    2 years ago
No, not like Russian collusion which has been proven by Mueller,

Exactly right--Mueller never proved collusion.

Good recognition!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

At least he didn't compare it to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor.

A low bar for sanity on the left.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

Only a moron would make the comparison.  

A low bar for sanity on the left.

That implies there is a standard.  You know that doesn't exist with the left.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

What 'ya think?  Comparable to comparing mask mandates to the holocaust?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    2 years ago
Comparable to comparing mask mandates to the holocaust

Great point. Kamala Harris is exactly on the level of internet cranks who compare mask mandates to the Holocaust. Now you are getting it. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    2 years ago
Great point. Kamala Harris is exactly on the level of internet cranks who compare mask mandates to the Holocaust.

You are unable to honestly respond aren't you?

Can we agree that any such comparisons are false, disingenuous and most like caused by politics?  Can we agree to that without any hyper partisanship?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I'm trying to wrap my head around how the GOP with their elitist snobs managed to pull so many blue collar workers over to their side. Was it the anti-intellectualism? Was it the fear of minorities having the same rights as the white, Christian, straight blue collar working man? Was it fear of their 2A rights being taken from them?

Somehow I blame this on the Moral Majority. Things started going wrong in the GOP when Reagan welcomed them with open arms. The MM knew how to pounce on the fears of the common every day working man. Just tell them that gays are teaching in their schools and were coming for their guns. And it's about that time that the Worldwide AIDS epidemic began. The MM with their Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons were shaking their fists and screaming at you from their TVs that the gays were the downfall of our Right, Moral, Christian society. Resist them! Give them nothing!

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    2 years ago

It's all of the above (definitely swinging on the hinge of the Moral Majority).  What is most obviously sad is this: The miserable louses in the some conservative-GOP can not even bring themselves today to DENOUNCE or speak above a whisper about January 6, 2021. It is beyond damnable that anybody with commonsense and professional sense can be so 'driven' to silence by one lone FAT and OLD man, like Donald J. Trump. A LOSER IN THE GRANDEST SENSE OF THE WORD.

SHAME ON THE SHAMELESS some conservative GOP! They think liberals should listen to COWARDS AND CHEATS?! Why should liberals fear WIMPS who can't even take down a loser in their own ranks? We will not fear any WIMPS!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    2 years ago

probably they just got tired of Democrats lying to them.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    2 years ago

probably they just got tired of Democrats lying to them.

Says a Trump supporter.

Trump’s false or misleading claims total 30,573 over 4 years

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.2  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    2 years ago

You partner with a loser, Donald Trump, who even you will be hard-pressed to 'square away' his assertions on a day to day basis. Why in heaven do you think we want to hear a steady stream of lies, half-truths, and misinformation when you can't stomach them? Oh, and you think we are 'vulnerable' to your word salads? Delusional.

SOME CONSERVATIVES IT'S JANUARY 6, 2022. You have had your 'fun' for a year now. Give it up. The world is watching y'all be irresponsible again heading into a brand new year 2022. Nobody is buying the dirty laundry all are hanging out:

TIME TO COME CLEAN!!! 2022 OR BUST!

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.1    2 years ago

Most of these are simply opinions by hack democrat operatives posing as journalists. When you let your feelings get in the way, anything someone that you do not like says comes out as a lie.

Most of these are no different.

So tell us...Why did the NYT stop their "fact checking" division after Brandon was elected?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.2    2 years ago

always mildly entertaining to see what fantastic theory you'll come up with next

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.4    2 years ago

Heal thyself. It's time for new beginnings. January 6, 2022! Do not allow Donald the Wimp to hide and cower behind you any longer. It's over.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.1    2 years ago

please do relate wtf Trump has to do with my comment.

this should be interesting to see how convoluted you make the connection

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.6    2 years ago

heal????

lol!

I am fine and don't shoot my mouth off about whackadoodle theories

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.9  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.8    2 years ago

It's over, you hear?! New beginnings are breaking out all around us!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.9    2 years ago

such grandiose declarations!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @4.2.3    2 years ago
So tell us...Why did the NYT stop their "fact checking" division after Brandon was elected?

They had to lay off all their fact checkers since they didn't have anything to do. 

We're back to the normal days of politicians, not the Trump days when every legitimate media outlet had to hire scores of fact checkers just to try and keep up with Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.7    2 years ago
please do relate wtf Trump has to do with my comment.

You brought up lies that politicians make, I just mentioned the current world record holder.

Plus, like I have mentioned earlier, I love rubbing hypocritical statement in the noses of the people that made them.  A Trump supporter complaining about any other politician's lies, is the epitome of hypocritical.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.12    2 years ago

so, nothing, as expected

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.14  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.11    2 years ago
They had to lay off all their fact checkers since they didn't have anything to do.

That's your opinion, and like normal, it is wrong.

Now, for my opinion, which is normally correct.

They stopped the fact checkers because if they were honest, they knew they would be crazy busy trying to sort and spin all of the bullshit that has come out of Camel and Brandon's mouths.

Didn't have the manpower for such heavy tasking, so just quit it all together.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.15  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @4.2.14    2 years ago
That's your opinion, and like normal, it is wrong.

Prove it.  Let's see all the HR documents for all the media outlets.  You just made a claim, now prove it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.16  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.15    2 years ago
You just made a claim, now prove it

Maybe you should review what the definition of "opinion" is. I'm not going to do your homework for you.

To reiterate what I said..

It;s my opinion....and I am normally correct.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.17  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.12    2 years ago

Hell, at the RNC alone, he told a lie every 67 seconds.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.18  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @4.2.16    2 years ago
Maybe you should review what the definition of "opinion" is.

Yes, I stated "my" opinion, then you made the definitive statement that my opinion was wrong.  Prove it was wrong.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.19  Ronin2  replied to  CB @4.2.9    2 years ago

The only thing over is Brandon; and all the Brandons supporting him. Come midterms not only will it be over; but retribution will have begun.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.20  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.19    2 years ago

DEFIANCE meet UNDEFEATED. I call on the universe and all that encompasses to witness: The Time Has Come For New Beginnings In The U.S.A. 

Let this REFRESH break forth! 

If our nation's actions reminds one of a 'drunken sailor' careening down a shadowy path; it is STAGGERED and FEVERISH  and WORTHLESS political combat sickening our collective state!

Conservatives and liberals have no choice but to come together. This nation riseth and falleth by what we all do to it!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago
Those who beat cops should serve long jail sentences.  No need to narrow the field.  That would include those rioters from Minnapolis, Ferguson, Baltimore.  But apparently the left is good with that and still only focusing on a specific group of people.

I guess removing a piece from a sentence if fucking taunting?  Give me a break.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    2 years ago

Olde Joe McCarthy had two special butt boys, Dick Nixon and Roy Cohn. Roy Cohn, The Most Evil Man in the World, groomed three personal butt boys. They are Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Donald Trump.

Trump pardoned Paul Manafort and Roger Stone...

Why is anybody believing Trump and Co innocent?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

Joe A (AZ sheriff) found out that a pardon equated to being guilty and was not pleased.