╌>

Holocaust book ‘Maus’ sales soar after school board ban

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 years ago  •  40 comments

By:   By Lee Brown

Holocaust book ‘Maus’ sales soar after school board ban
“Maus” — the decades-old series of graphic novels about the Holocaust that was banned by a Tennessee school board last week — has skyrocketed to the top of an Amazon bestsellers list.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Tennessee school board banned “Maus,” a 30-year-old Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel  series about

the Holocaust, over claims it included “unnecessary” violence, nudity and swearing. AFP via Getty Images

“Maus” — the decades-old series of graphic novels about the Holocaust that was   banned by a Tennessee school board last week   — has skyrocketed to the top of an Amazon bestsellers list.

More than $83,000 also has been raised so far to give free copies to students.

Art Spiegelman’s 30-year-old Pulitzer Prize-winning series was not even in Amazon’s top 1,000 at the beginning of last week, when news broke of McMinn County’s ban over what it deemed “unnecessary” violence, nudity and swearing in the novels.

But by Monday, the complete collection was at the   top of the online giant’s “Best Sellers in Literary Graphic Novels”   — with the first and second books individually rounding up the top three.

The demand for it is so great that Amazon warned that copies would not be available until the end of February.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

“Maus” — the decades-old series of graphic novels about the Holocaust that was   banned by a Tennessee school board last week   — has skyrocketed to the top of an Amazon bestsellers list.

The demand for it is so great that Amazon warned that copies would not be available until the end of February.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @1    2 years ago

So what? It's still not suitable reading for young people, who otherwise would have no interest in this subject

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

Because you say so?  Why wouldn't they have an interest in 'this subject'??????????????

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    2 years ago

"Why wouldn't they have an interest in 'this subject'??????????????"'

Cuz they're kids....being indoctrinated by racist lefty agitators.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.3    2 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.5  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
So what? It's still not suitable reading for young people, who otherwise would have no interest in this subject

Have you read it Greg?  It's available online here for free.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.5    2 years ago

Have you read it? If so, why?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.7  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.6    2 years ago

So I know what I'm talking about.  It doesn't seem like something kids would be interested in but they all want to read it now.  Most kids in that school district already have now that it's verbotten.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.7    2 years ago

272825680_5400591589952468_7833669379946017143_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=NSyNilZY3uoAX8-RKj6&tn=ddyv9WRSVi2y4Anp&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT8kM8gBpEbUlaJ5Mo1tz-Lw2Q4_Tl6zlftPHQpftB3O_A&oe=6201D5E3

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    2 years ago

Then you should believe that Tom Sawyer and To Kill a Mockingbird should not have been banned by left wing school boards, both because of their "racial connotations"?

Good to know.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.10  SteevieGee  replied to  bugsy @1.1.9    2 years ago

No.  Tom Sawyer and  To Kill a Mockingbird should not be banned.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.5    2 years ago
Have you read it Greg?

Why should someone have to read a book-- or for that matter watch a video posted on NT-- before commenting on it?

Especially on a social media site....knowing about any subject before commenting on it?

Why that just isn't done!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

More than $83,000 also has been raised so far to give free copies to students.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

The "Law of Unintended Consequences" at work!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

The Spiegelman family should send a thank-you note to the ignorant school board that has probably guaranteed that they will become millionaires, and the students will get free copies to read, and because of this they WILL read them.  Those low-brow Tennesseans have provided the MAUS series with a million bucks worth of publicity.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

I was just thinking that I'd love to be a fly on the wall of their meeting room when they have their next meeting having found out these things that have happened because of their decision being publicized.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    2 years ago

We all know how to get a kid to do something...tell them it's forbidden. Tell them that something is good and they steer clear of it

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    2 years ago

Isn't that called Child Psychology?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago

Yes. Sometimes it works. It doesn't work if your child is a clever little beasty

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

If the right really wants to get Christianity back into the mainstream then maybe they should ban the Bible.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1  Snuffy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago

No need. The Bible is still the number 1 selling book of all time across the world.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Snuffy @5.1    2 years ago

No need to get Christianity back into the mainstream?  Now that is refreshing - go tell all your friends on the right, please.  Apparently they haven’t gotten the memo.

Do you find it strange that a book with stories about murdering the world with a flood, incest, slavery, rape, fratricide, etc etc is still held up as a bastion of morality and virtue, yet Maus is somehow too offensive for the delicate sensibilities of the right?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.1    2 years ago

Well I was replying to your 'Ban the Bible' comment by saying that wasn't needed as the Bible is still the #1 selling book of all time across the entire world. 

As far as Christianity in the mainstream, perhaps that's an individual opinion. From what I see, the worlds largest religion is still Christianity at 2.3B followers.

That may not remain true in the future but for now they still are.  While there are those who wish their version of religion would be #1, I prefer that people find God in their own lives and in their own ways.  That way it's more real and relatable to them. If that path leads them thru other faiths or atheism, who am I to say that is not the correct path for them.

As for the Bible being held up as a bastion of morality and virtue, those are  your words and not mine. For me the bible is a group of lessons where I can find guidance on how to live my life.  Humans find it very difficult to view anything as a whole, they tend to break it down into individual pieces and to me that's where the Bible starts to fall apart. Based on today's moral code there are horrible things found in the Bible, but you have to look at those things in the whole and how they related to life at that time, and then you have to try to understand it thru God's will.  The last part is very difficult as humans can at best understand God's will as if looking thru a dark veil. There are many things that we will only know for certain after our deaths.

And what was the political leanings of the school board that banned the book?  I don't know them personally so I cannot tell you.  All I can find is that McMinn country is mostly Republican. But I try not to assume things that I don't have an answer to.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.2    2 years ago

For me the bible is a group of lessons where I can find guidance on how to live my life. 

Whether it’s intended as allegory or fact, any story where the entire world is murdered, minus a handful of humans and a boat full of animals, is inherently evil.  It doesn’t take deep thought to imagine how innocent people on the other side of the world were mercilessly slaughtered for no good reason.  What is your interpretation?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Snuffy  impassed  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    2 years ago

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    2 years ago

[removed [(tm)]

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    2 years ago

[removed] [(tm)]

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Veronica  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    2 years ago

Funny how they use impasse when they cannot answer your questions.  Impasse is used so incorrectly.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Veronica @5.1.7    2 years ago

You should appreciate this one:

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Veronica  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.8    2 years ago

I do appreciate that. Very very much.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.8    2 years ago

I wish I could still sculpt for that would make a great subject to do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.5    2 years ago

Why isn't 5.1.4 also removed for the same violation?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Snuffy @5.1    2 years ago
No need. The Bible is still the number 1 selling book of all time across the world.

Ah-- I see you're playing the "'Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong' card".

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.12    2 years ago
Ah-- I see you're playing the "'Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong' card".

Ah, nostalgia....("from an old 1929-30 78 record")

Sophie Tucker "Fifty Million Frenchmen can't Be Wrong"

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.1.15  al Jizzerror  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.8    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
5.2  Duck Hawk  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago

It's already on a banned book list. And it has been since the early 1960's.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Duck Hawk @5.2    2 years ago

It’s hard to call it banned when the Establishment Clause was written into the Constitution to keep it separated from government.  Parents who want the Bible in their kids’ school know where to send their kids to school.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.2.1    2 years ago

The kids can use the bible to fend off the priests by smacking them upside their heads with it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago
If the right really wants to get Christianity back into the mainstream then maybe they should ban the Bible.

Well, FWIW, the Bible is banned (or possession is severely persecuted) in some 50+ countries:

A list of 52 countries where the bible is illegal and/or severely persecuted:

1. Afghanistan
  2. Iran
  3. Kazakhstan 
  4. Kyrgyzstan
  5. Maldives
  6. Mauritania
  7. North Korea
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Tajikistan
  11. Turkmenistan
  12. Uzbekistan
  13. Yemen
  14. Algeria
  15. Bhutan
  16. Brunei
  17. China
  18. Cuba
  19. Djibouti
  20. Eritrea
  21. Kuwait
  22. Laos
  23. Libya
  24. Malaysia
  25. Morocco
  26. Oman
  27. Sudan
  28. Tunisia
  29. Bahrain
  30. Bangladesh
  31. Central African Republic
  32. Columbia
  33. Egypt
  34. Ethiopia
  35. India
  36. Iraq
  37. Jordan
  38. Kenya
  39. Lebanon
  40. Mali
  41. Myanmar (Burma)
  42. Nepal
  43. Niger
  44. Nigeria
  45. Pakistan
  46. Philippines (Mindanao)
  47. Sri Lanka
  48. Syria
  49. Tanzania
  50. Turkey
  51. United Arab Emirates
  52. Vietnam

Gordy327
Professor Guide
5.4  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago

Fair point. There are those who think the Bible should be required reading or teaching in the classroom.