╌>

Canadian police use pepper spray, stun grenades in push to clear capital

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   Steve Scherer and Carlos Osorio

Canadian police use pepper spray, stun grenades in push to clear capital

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

OTTAWA, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Canadian police on Saturday used pepper spray and stun grenades in a final push to clear the capital of trucks and demonstrators who have occupied the downtown core of Ottawa for more than three weeks to protest against pandemic restrictions.
After clearing a portion of the blockade and making more than 100 arrests on Friday, 47 more arrests were made on Saturday morning as police moved quickly to disperse the main portion of the blockade in front of parliament and the prime minister's office.
"We told you to leave. We gave you time to leave. We were slow and methodical, yet you were assaultive and aggressive with officers," police said in a statement to the truckers posted on Twitter. Police used loudspeakers to warn the crowd to disperse or face arrest.
Protest organizers for the so-called Freedom Convoy said they had asked trucks to withdraw because of heavy-handed police tactics, and many trucks did exit the downtown core on Saturday. Thirty-eight vehicles have been towed, police said.
Officers smashed vehicle windows to arrest people locked inside, but the overall number of protesters has dwindled dramatically compared with previous days, with a couple hundred remaining near the advancing police cordon.
Some of those arrested on Saturday wore body armor and had smoke grenades and other

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

Other than 100 or so hardcore protesters looking for Youtube fame, this is basically over.

A few observations from having watched live broadcasts over the past 24 hours:

There are at this point probably more journalists milling around than protestors or police.

I saw no evidence of police brutality despite what some of the protestors are claiming. Horses trampled no one, but on the other hoof, a protestor threw a bicycle at a horse. (Apparently Gulliver's Travels is no longer taught in Eng. Lit.)

This is the first day in a month I have not seen an American Flag.

In Ottawa the weather is cold and windy, basically one of those ubiquitous Canadian winter days that makes one stamp their feet and start wondering about the sanity of the organizers.

It's over FOX, don't forget to inform the cast and crew.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

cool, now those free dumb warriors can pack up and fuck off.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

Some of them will be charged with hefty crimes. Other than one or two days waiting for plea/bail hearings, I doubt there will be any jail time administered. Fines will be hefty and many will find that their cell phone bills are much higher.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    2 years ago

The fines could be as high as $100,000.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.2    2 years ago

Lol Paula it's kinda comically karmic, they'll have to get the jab in order to work to pay off the fines from protesting the jab

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

It is a text book example of what secular progressives everywhere particularly in America wish for and hope to do to their conservative opposition.  Total police state  fascists in action in Ottawa.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    2 years ago

Comment 1.2 is an example of true fascist propaganda.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    2 years ago

And the people who lived/worked in the area ... What of them? Should they have pulled a Patricia and Mark McCloskey stunt?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @1.2.1    2 years ago
Comment 1.2 is an example of true fascist propaganda.  

add in stupidity and ignorance and we have the trifecta.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    2 years ago

Police state fascists would have put an end to it on day one.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @1.2.4    2 years ago

Believe me I’m glad that the protesters who stayed long enough did so so that they could expose the true nature of the Canadian regime and it’s urban secular progressive elites smashing a labor action like the true fascists that they are.  I’ll never visit Canada again so long as black face Trudeau and his party are in power.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gsquared @1.2.1    2 years ago

No where near to the extent that comment 1.2.1 is as you describe above.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.5    2 years ago
I’ll never visit Canada again so long as black face Trudeau and his party are in power.  

I'm sure that the Canadians are really upset about that. On second thought they are probably relieved since they already have more than enough militia type and they are running out of room in their jails. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.8  seeder  Hallux  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.5    2 years ago

I'm already missing you.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  shona1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.5    2 years ago

Morning xx..

Well your travel itinerary is getting less and less..

Won't come to Australia because we have a Gulag set up for the unvaccinated in Melbourne and the Northern Territory. The dogs and crocs are well fed..I promise they won't bite.

Not going to Canada because the ferals are being cleaned out..and you can add New Zealand to the list now..that freedumb rally was hijacked by the "unvaccinated" mob who are now living in mud and squalor..

The cops are also in the process of removing the "unwashed and unvaccinated" from Wellington..so much for staying until the law of the land changes...in your dreams xx.

For once the majourity rule the minority..and we love it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @1.2.7    2 years ago

Canada will do the same happy dance that they did when they gave us Beiber.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.11  Freefaller  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.5    2 years ago
 I’ll never visit Canada again

Oh no some complete stranger of no importance who no Canadian even knew or cared existed won't be coming to visit.  The horror!  lmao

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika @1.2.3    2 years ago

I see that in minute 32 that you changed your post after you were informed by a friend that your post was flagged for singling me out by name for insult 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.12    2 years ago

For someone that supports militia threats to members of the Board of Supervisors in Redding, one of which had been the Chief of Police you have no credibility at all. Any name you are called is fitting and well deserved. 

BTW the reason that I never flag your comments is that I love to see the ignorance of them stand so all of NT and our readers can review them and think, oh what dumbass comments.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @1.2.11    2 years ago

Poutine sales will plummet!  Oh the humanity!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.15  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.14    2 years ago

Lol take my life, take my liberty but don't take my poutine (or maple syrup)

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.3  Dulay  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

Wait till they get the bills for towing their vehicles and cleaning up their 'camp'. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago
more.gif?skin=ntNewsTalkers3&v=1641100924 " visit seeded article for remaining content"

I always copy and paste the whole articles even if it takes a few minutes more since I'm aware that not all web sites will open for all people.  It's just a common courtesy.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

Good, it's finally done a bit late in my opinion, but it is what it is.

Perhaps now that it's over Laura Ingram will show up braving the cold. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

I saw her last night, not having Hillarygate to rant and rail over, she chose Justin ... she's about to become a persona non grata.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @2.1    2 years ago

Canadian Police Go All in on Tyranny, Vow to Track Down Protesters

by Will

Well, it’s official, protesting is illegal in Canada if you’re clamoring for something other than a viewpoint approved by the woke regime. BLM, Antifa, and other leftist thugs can do whatever they want, but the working class isn’t allowed to protest in favor of its interests anymore, and those that do will be tracked down by thuggish members of the Canadian police.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.1    2 years ago
Bell, in response, didn’t deny the tyrannical tactics that would be used. Rather, he went all in, saying:

The simple answer is yes. If you are involved in this protest we will actively look to identify you and follow up with financial sanctions and criminal charges. Absolutely. This investigation will go on for months to come.”

That’s something you’d expect to come out of a communist regime, a Stalinist dictatorship, not a western government like Canada. Yet that’s exactly where it’s coming from, showing what’s really behind the mask of “liberal democracy.” The people only have a say so long as they’re on the side of the regime. noted:

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    2 years ago
https://trendingpolitics.com/watch-canadian-police-go-all-in-on-tyranny-vow-to-track-down-protesters-wiley/

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    2 years ago

afb021822dAPR20220218054505.jpg

cb021922dAPC20220219014504.jpg

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

Old hat .... try harder

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @3.1    2 years ago

Freaking jackasses both!  

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.1    2 years ago

Send me a pic of yourself, I'll photoshop you in.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @3.1    2 years ago

Actually his father and Fidel were good friends.  Fidel came to his funeral.  Justin's father had no love for Nixon, and I'm sure he would have despised Trump. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    2 years ago

The irony of some folks support of these government actions is crazy.    Especially after their direct or tacit support of all the rioters, looters and malcontents from the summer of love.

Quite amazing really.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 years ago

The hypocrisy is great, isn't it?

During the riots of 2020, you had cops in Seattle and Portland told to stand down and give looters and rioter their space. If one of them dared to fire any type of spray, the snowflake leftists screamed at the sky, demanded charges to the cops, lit [police precincts on fire, some repeatedly,  and started the "defund the police" joke that will a big part of taking down the democratic party this November,

Here we see those same leftists cheering the cops firing tear gas and trampling protesters.

These are big reasons why most Americans can't stand the American left...and rightly so.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  bugsy @4.1    2 years ago

Seattle and Portland are not in Canada.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @4.1.1    2 years ago

So true, people are free to protest in Seattle and Portland.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    2 years ago

On average there are some 40 protests in Ottawa every year over whatever strikes a protestor's fancy. The current gang of narcissists may have ruined it for the other 39.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @4.1.3    2 years ago

Ruin it did they?

What a cerebral move that would be for our little brother to the north.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Hallux @4.1.1    2 years ago
Seattle and Portland are not in Canada.

So?

The loons on the left are the same no matter what country.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 years ago

I’m fine with the gas, etc. but I would have also been fine with it in Seattle and Portland and D.C. (especially in June 2020). I mean this shit is either ok or it’s not. I have no problem with people demonstrating for what they want, but when you start clogging up the roads and messing with other people’s lives and livelihoods, it’s time to pull out the gas, pepper spray, and so on.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    2 years ago

I agree, Its the double standard the partisan have that is the real problem.    Myself I would have made a judicious use of the taser dance on the really unruly ones.   In both cases.    Riding the lightning would have fixed them real quick.

The truckers were screwing with commerce and people’s lives by shutting the roads down.    Enough was enough.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.1    2 years ago

Maybe now they will simply not travel at all to certain jurisdictions. I can’t imagine truckers looking forward to making deliveries to Ottawa.  They don’t have to be in Ottawa to mess with it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    2 years ago

Critical Update on Disabled Woman Reported ‘Dead’ After Being Trampled by a Horse at Freedom Convoy Protest

The elderly, disabled woman reported by some journalists to have been killed in a Freedom Convoy protest in Ottawa after a police horse trampled her is fortunately alive. But she does have injuries (her name is being withheld to protect her privacy).

“The woman who was trampled by Trudeau’s officers is not dead. Thank god. Her shoulder was dislocated and she is in hospital. Care to correct the “no injuries” statement, @OttawaPolice?” journalist Keean Bexte asked on Twitter.

The woman was believed to be dead after harrowing video captured her being trampled by a horse on Friday night.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.3    2 years ago
The Ottawa Police claimed that the woman threw her “bike” at law enforcement.

However, video shows that it was a disability scooter and it had nothing to do with the incident...

https://trendingpolitics.com/critical-update-on-disabled-woman-reported-dead-after-being-trampled-by-a-horse-at-freedom-convoy-protest-knab/

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago
Canadian police on Saturday used pepper spray and stun grenades

Completely reasonable and long overdue. Probably better than a bullet to the neck, too.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago

Like this: 

‘Time for the Protesters to Hear Our Jackboots’: Leaked Canadian Police Messages Show Mockery of Injured Protesters

by Kyle Becker about 5 hours ago

Leaked Ottawa Police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police messages show the depths of callousness and cruelty that have infected the Canadian police forces.

Independent journalist Keean Bexte obtained the messages. The messages leaked from a private police chat (phone numbers censored here to prevent ‘doxxing’ claims) are disturbing.

https://trendingpolitics.com/time-for-the-protesters-to-hear-our-jackboots-leaked-canadian-police-messages-show-mockery-of-injured-protesters-knab/

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    2 years ago
(phone numbers censored here to prevent ‘doxxing’ claims)

How convenient. /s