╌>

Ukrainian officials parade captured Russian soldiers, videos show

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 years ago  •  136 comments

By:   Emily Crane

Ukrainian officials parade captured Russian soldiers, videos show
Ukrainian officials have been posting dozens of videos and photos online parading captured bloodied Russian soldiers, including some fighters who claimed they didn’t know they were being sent to invade.

Related: 

Photo Credit: Twitter

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Ukrainian forces detain servicemen of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People’s Republic. AFP via Getty Images via NY Post

Ukrainian officials have been posting dozens of videos and photos online parading captured bloodied Russian soldiers, including some fighters who claimed they didn’t know they were being sent to invade.

Footage posted on the  Ukrainian Security Service’s Facebook  page over the weekend showed several Russian soldiers insisting they thought they were only taking part in military exercises before they were forced over their country’s border into Ukraine last week.

Other videos included several of the Russians calling their relatives to inform them they had been detained.

A number of the captured Russian soldiers were injured, including some filmed lying in hospital beds as they spoke.

One of those videos showed an injured commander of a sniper unit who identified himself as Leonid Paktishev,  the Guardian  reported.

Paktishev’s shocked relatives told the outlet they didn’t even know he was fighting in Ukraine until they saw the footage of him.

“I was sent the video of my brother captured at 2 a.m. last night,” said his sister, Yelena Polivtseva. “I was completely shocked. I had no idea that he was fighting in there.

“I knew Leonid was in the military, but I had no idea that he was sent to Ukraine,” she said. “I don’t think he would have been aware of it, either.”

Ukraine has been pushing relatives of the captured Russian soldiers to reach out to them and voice opposition to the war.

Moscow on Monday  refused to disclose how many Russian soldiers had been killed  — or captured — since President Vladimir Putin gave the orders to invade Ukraine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Footage posted on the  Ukrainian Security Service’s Facebook  page over the weekend showed several Russian soldiers insisting they thought they were only taking part in military exercises before they were forced over their country’s border into Ukraine last week.

Other videos included several of the Russians calling their relatives to inform them they had been detained.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

A number of the captured Russian soldiers were injured, including some filmed lying in hospital beds as they spoke.

One of those videos showed an injured commander of a sniper unit who identified himself as Leonid Paktishev,  the Guardian  reported.

Paktishev’s shocked relatives told the outlet they didn’t even know he was fighting in Ukraine until they saw the footage of him.

“I was sent the video of my brother captured at 2 a.m. last night,” said his sister, Yelena Polivtseva. “I was completely shocked. I had no idea that he was fighting in there.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Moscow on Monday   refused to disclose how many Russian soldiers had been killed    — or captured — since President Vladimir Putin gave the orders to invade Ukraine.

Photo: Dozens of Russian soldiers have surrendered to the armed forces of Ukraine in Kharkiv. ( Facebook/Oleg Sinegubov)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @4    2 years ago

It has also been reported that a lot of Russian soldiers are also turning themselves in.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    2 years ago
It has also been reported that a lot of Russian soldiers are also turning themselves in.

Yes.

I've been reading several articles about this. And one of the things I've seen in many of these cases is that, first of all-- many of them said they were lied to-- they weren't told they were being sent off to murder Ukrainians,but rather that this was merely a routine "training exercise". And not only were they lied to-- but many were surprised by the ferocity of the (supposedly 'inferior") Ukrainians! So they feared for their lives.

And a number of captured Russian soldiers were injured:

Photo: Defence of Ukraine @DefenceU

I don't know if he was ever a big supporter of Putin or not-- but the look on his face its pretty obvious he no longer is...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    2 years ago

I've heard some things about that as well. I have to wonder if the stalled advance isn't just supply problems but also the dissatisfaction of the troops with what they are doing. Sort of sounds like the lower ranks, and maybe even the mid ranks, didn't know this would happen, either. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.2    2 years ago
I've heard some things about that as well. I have to wonder if the stalled advance isn't just supply problems but also the dissatisfaction of the troops with what they are doing. Sort of sounds like the lower ranks, and maybe even the mid ranks, didn't know this would happen, either

I don't know for sure.

But from everything I've seen, its seems there are several reasons why this is happening. 

One of the major ones seems to be that many of these soldiers were lied to-- they were told they were merely going on a "routine training exercise"..and then they found that Putin had ordered them into a dangerous combat zone instead. In addition, not only were they in a combat in a foreign country-- but their opponents (the Ukrainians) were often highly motivated and highly effective fighters as well. So they feared for their lives!!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    2 years ago

They are also pissed off about not being fed

or running out of petrol as they advanced in vehicles 

that were desperately old and not fit for combat

Shameful video of one group looting a grocery store of all the food they could carry.

Another video of Russians robbing ATMs and carrying a small safe out of a bank.

Cannon fodder.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.4    2 years ago
that were desperately old and not fit for combat

Apparently The Russian military sent in their least effect troops first. 

Yes, Cannon fodder.

From everything I've seen, the first soldiers they sent in, those leading the invasion, were either very old-- or extremely young and inexperienced.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.6  shona1  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.4    2 years ago

Morning..

Yes there was a ripper video here..a Russian tank had run out of fuel on a highway...the guy in the car stopped and asked the Russian soldiers would they like a tow...back to Russia!!..they all burst out laughing..

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    2 years ago

I can relate to that bottom picture .

that is the look of someone that has been thrust into a situation that was not what they were told it was and they had no control over , that  look is the epitome of "embracing the suck" all he can do is suck it up.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 years ago

Putin's invasion of Ukraine is not going nearly as smoothly as he anticipated. Ain't that a bitch?

original

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago
Putin's invasion of Ukraine is not going nearly as smoothly as he anticipated.

Well, many people had us believing that Putin was some sort of genius, and praised him highly. (Not the least of which was the former President and Liar-in-chief, Putin's BFF Donald Trump).

So, basically,rather than a quick victory and Putin and his worshoppers would have us believe-- Putin miscalculated.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1    2 years ago
So, basically,rather than a quick victory and Putin and his worshoppers would have us believe-- Putin miscalculated.

In fact, not only came the surprise that Russian forces generally performed poorly (despite their superior numbers and both the superior quantity and quality of arms)-- but there was another, "unintended consequence" of Putin's poor judgement.

For some time there were efforts of the two "very stabile geniuses" to weaken NATO. And they succeeded to some degree. But now the effetc of all this is that NATO has been strengthened significantly!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    2 years ago
So, basically, rather than a quick victory and Putin and his worshoppers would have us believe-- Putin miscalculated.i
In fact, not only came the surprise that Russian forces generally performed poorly (despite their superior numbers and both the superior quantity and quality of arms)-- but there was another, "unintended consequence" of Putin's poor judgement. For some time there were efforts of the two "very stabile geniuses" to weaken NATO. And they succeeded to some degree. But now the effetc of all this is that NATO has been strengthened significantly!

And then there's this, which really blew my mind: traditionally neutral Sweden may be on the verge of wanting to join a military alliance (NATO)!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1    2 years ago
Well, many people had us believing that Putin was some sort of genius,

US???

Please speak for yourself, I never was fool enough to believe it myself.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    2 years ago
despite their superior numbers and both the superior quantity and quality of arms

Superior quality of arms?  Where in the hell did you get that?  Their arms are far from superior by any means.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.4    2 years ago
Superior quality of arms?  Where in the hell did you get that?  Their arms are far from superior by any means.

Actually I didn't get any of that "in hell"!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Do you really think the Ukrainian fighters had the jet planes-- and tanks-- that the Russians did?
Mostly what they had were handheld guns of various types-- homemade molotov cocktails-- unprotected Ukrainians to go up against APCs, planes, combat helicopters, et

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    2 years ago

The Finns took a survey and the majority of Finns want to join NATO,

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.1.7  shona1  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    2 years ago

Morning..yes seeing they were once part of Russia they will have the wind up them..

Found the Finn's to be very Russianised back in the the mid 80's when I was there, but think that has changed somewhat now..

Must be a bit weird in some respects..it would be a bit like fighting your cousins to a certain extent over there..bit like us and New Zealand or you mob and Canada...

My SIL family made it to Poland and are now safe so big sigh of relief here..🇦🇺🇺🇦

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    2 years ago

One of the main reasons Putin started this war was his fear that Ukraine might join NATO.

But so far the only sentiments re: desire to join NATO that resulted from this war has been that apparently both Finland as well as Sweden are considering joining NATO. 

(One news source described Putin's actions as "showing  bad judgement"-- if anything that's quite an understatement!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.8    2 years ago
One of the main reasons Putin started this war was his fear that Ukraine might join NATO.

But so far the only sentiments re: desire to join NATO that resulted from this war has been that apparently both Finland as well as Sweden are considering joining NATO. 

(One news source described Putin's actions as "showing  bad judgement"-- if anything that's quite an understatement!)

Although ironically, recently DonaldTtrump (AKA "A very stabile genius") has praised Putin as being brilliant.

(Birds of a feather...)

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @5.1.7    2 years ago
Found the Finn's to be very Russianised back in the the mid 80's when I was there, but think that has changed somewhat now..

The Finns have fought two bloody wars with Russia and have tried to stay somewhat netrual since but the invasion of Ukraine and the threats Russia made to both Finland and Sweden has changed many minds, shona.

My SIL family made it to Poland and are now safe so big sigh of relief here..

Excellent, just excellent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  shona1 @5.1.7    2 years ago
Must be a bit weird in some respects..it would be a bit like fighting your cousins to a certain extent over there..bit like us and New Zealand or you mob and Canada...

Or even..like the Russians and Ukrainians fighting each other!

(Although IMO the Ukrainians and the Russians are the same ethnically.and in other ways...they are currently two distinct countries now only because of history).                                         

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.12  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    2 years ago
which really blew my mind: traditionally neutral Sweden may be on the verge of wanting to join a military alliance (NATO)!

what will blow my mind is if the Swiss go that route .

i think the usual neutral countries left that i have not seen anything about is Spain and Portugal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  shona1 @5.1.7    2 years ago
My SIL family made it to Poland and are now safe so big sigh of relief here

Good to hear that!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.12    2 years ago
have not seen anything about is Spain and Portugal.

From NATO Allies send more ships, jets to enhance deterrence and defence in eastern Europe

In the past days, a number of Allies have made announcements regarding current or upcoming deployments. Denmark is sending a frigate to the Baltic Sea and is set to deploy four F-16 fighter jets to Lithuania in support of NATO’s long-standing air-policing mission in the region. Spain is sending ships to join NATO naval forces and is considering sending fighter jets to Bulgaria. France has expressed its readiness to send troops to Romania under NATO command. The Netherlands is sending two F-35 fighter aircraft to Bulgaria from April to support NATO’s air-policing activities in the region, and is putting a ship and land-based units on standby for NATO’s Response Force. The United States has also made clear that it is considering increasing its military presence in the eastern part of the Alliance. 

From Portugal, Romania to send military equipment to Ukraine

Lisbon is to dispatch "vests, helmets, night-vision goggles, grenades and ammunition of various calibers," the ministry said in a statement in the early hours on Twitter.

"Portugal supports Ukraine, which is defending itself against an unjustified, illegal and unacceptable invasion," Defense Minister Joao Cravinho said in another tweet.

Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva on Saturday told CNN Portugal that Lisbon was "totally open" to welcoming "thousands of Ukrainians" forced to flee their country.

So far, it's a United NATO, EVERYONE is chipping in something...

I've also heard on CBS radio today that almost all the international sports organizations and federations, (including FIFA) have booted, suspended or banned Russian participation, just waiting on two more, the international tennis federations and the international Ice Hockey League...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.15  Nowhere Man  replied to  Krishna @5.1.8    2 years ago
apparently both Finland as well as Sweden are considering joining NATO. 

They are not "considering" they already have a map and will at some point join NATO and they just recently (yesterday) requested immediate emergency accession...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.16  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.14    2 years ago

This much i think i can safely say .

I dont think putin got the response he was expecting with his fast freddie fudpucker move of mentioning his "arsenal".

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5.1.17  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    2 years ago
And then there's this, which really blew my mind: traditionally neutral Sweden may be on the verge of wanting to join a military alliance (NATO)!

I just heard on Rachel Maddow that Sweden froze Russian bank accounts. According to her, nothing like that has ever happened before. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.18  Dulay  replied to  Drakkonis @5.1.17    2 years ago

Well check it out and get back to us as to whether Maddow is telling the truth. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5.1.19  Drakkonis  replied to  Dulay @5.1.18    2 years ago

Um, apparently, I misspoke, sort of. It seems both Sweden and Switzerland are doing unprecedented things but the article I found seems a little vague on exact details. 

'A new Europe' united against Russia — even neutral Switzerland (nbcnews.com)

Sweden, which is not part of NATO and has maintained a policy of neutrality through both World Wars and the Cold War, announced Monday it will send 5,000 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.

The Swedish government said it is the first time the Scandinavian country has sent arms to a country at war since 1939, when it aided its neighbor Finland against a Soviet invasion.

Even Switzerland joined the fray.

Neutrality has been a survival tactic for Switzerland that kept the alpine nation independent since Napoleon. It is not part of the European Union nor NATO.

But bowing to public pressure from its citizens and every party in its parliament but the far-right, the Swiss government announced Monday it will join the EU’s sanction against Russia, bar entry to some high-level Russians with Swiss connections and close Swiss airspace to Russian flights.

The move is significant not only symbolically, but because Switzerland’s infamously secretive banks are a favorite of Russian oligarchs.

I'm not sure this specifically confirms Maddow's claims but it's what I found. 

Found this, too. Switzerland adopts wholesale EU sanctions against Russia | Switzerland | The Guardian

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.20  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Drakkonis @5.1.19    2 years ago

well there went putins source of swiss cocoa.......

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.21  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    2 years ago
Please speak for yourself, I never was fool enough to believe it myself.

Well then (I'm assuming that you are telling the truth... & I'm totally willing to give you the benefit of the doubt jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png ).. perhaps we should add you to the list of "Very Stable Geniuses".. along with some others who have made the list...Donald Trump...Vladimir Putin, and several others of that ilk.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.22  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.21    2 years ago

the list of "Very Stable Geniuses

Of course!

Donald Trump, A Very Stable Genius, Tries To Read The Constitution

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1.22    2 years ago

I am used to all the "But Trump" comments derailing seeds, but it is rare to see progressive liberals so bored with what they seed that they derail their own!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1.21    2 years ago

no need to get snarky with me because you believed a bunch of nonsense and then admitted it!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1.21    2 years ago
list of "Very Stable Geniuses".. along with some others who have made the list...Donald Trump...Vladimir Putin, and several others of that ilk.

No, I am simply not a dumbass who believes everything he hears.

For instance, I would NEVER, EVER fall for THIS shit:

Well, many people had us believing that Putin was some sort of genius, and praised him highly.

Unlike the poster!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @7    2 years ago

[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2    2 years ago

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.2.1    2 years ago

I don't mind if your fantasies are homosexual in nature. Whatever floats your boat!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @7.2.1    2 years ago

Trump wishes he had that body.  If they had used his real one, the horse would be riding him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.3    2 years ago
Trump wishes he had that body. 

Apparently, so do many of the liberals harboring secret crushes on him.

Or maybe they see him that way anyway?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.3    2 years ago

If you look at it closely you can see that it's Putin's body with trmp's head photoshopped on it

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.3    2 years ago
Trump wishes he had that body.  If they had used his real one, the horse would be riding him.

LOL!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.5    2 years ago

Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.2.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.5    2 years ago

I feel sorry for the horse,,, having to haul around 3 asses , its own and the 2 on its back.....

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.2    2 years ago
I don't mind if your fantasies are homosexual in nature. Whatever floats your boat!

Thank you for your comment. Very valuable.

Most valuable indeed!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @7.2.9    2 years ago

oh, yeah. I am all woke like that!

consider this your safe space, puppies coming soon!

JBB
Professor Principal
7.3  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @7    2 years ago

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @7.3    2 years ago

I'm surprised at how long that leash is

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7.3.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  JBB @7.3    2 years ago

The quality of photoshopping around here has gotten very very bad....

They don't even look real...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @7.3    2 years ago

1ed20a7b868c03ac6ef23fa3c6a84d34.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.3.2    2 years ago

putin-trump-helsinki-meeting-funny-reactions-26-5b4f2f590651a__700.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.3.2    2 years ago
The quality of photoshopping around here has gotten very very bad....

Around here?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.4    2 years ago

LOL !  Hadn't seen that one before.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

A soldier’s body lies next to a burned Russian APC after the Ukrainian army attacked it the previous day near the city of Kharkiv, Ukraine, February 25, 2022 EPA/SERGEY KOZLOV

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Publishing photos of captured soldiers violates the Geneva convention. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

pretty sure we got tossed from that during the bush administration for iraq war crimes...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @9.1    2 years ago
pretty sure we got tossed from that during the bush administration for iraq war crimes..

Was it the DNC, Hillary, or CNN that told you to believe that?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  devangelical @9.1    2 years ago

Imagine (1) thinking that was true (2) thinking that's relevant to a discussion involving Ukraine and Russia. 

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.1.2    2 years ago
Zealots got to zealot, I guess. 

Oh, I thought it was just the usual garden-type variety of deflecting. No skill or nuance, just pure deflection.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.3    2 years ago

I thought it was just the usual garden-type variety of deflecting. No skill or nuance, just pure deflection.

It's hard for me to tell if it is  knee jerk deflection [Deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @9.1    2 years ago

"We?" "We" didn't publish the pictures. Ukranians did.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.1    2 years ago
pretty sure we got tossed from that during the bush administration for iraq war crimes..
Was it the DNC, Hillary, or CNN that told you to believe that?

Thank you for sharing! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @9.1.6    2 years ago
Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for providing a consistent stream of fodder.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
9.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

Yeah, was thinking about that as well. Not sure about how to feel about it being done now. If the Russian troops had been lied to, though, I'm not sure I'd be against them telling their story. Problem is, how does anyone know whether they weren't coerced to say these things? I personally don't think they were because of reporting in Russia about the family members of these soldiers being completely taken by surprise and that the government isn't telling them anything. In the end, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad one. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
9.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Drakkonis @9.2    2 years ago
how does anyone know whether they weren't coerced to say these things?

USSPueblo , look for the Hawiian "good luck "sign ........

navy men will know ......

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @9.2    2 years ago
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad one. 

Well INALB ("I'm not a lawyer but")...nor do I POOTV:

(Title {for Buzz}): L.A. Law 1986 - 1994

But I think its intent that counts.

As well as the actual effect.

Is its intention to humiliate these soldiers? Or does it have another effect-- i.e. its says a lot about Putin?

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
9.2.3  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @9.2.2    2 years ago

Don't really know for sure. 

One thing I do hope. That the Ukrainian side does not abuse captured soldiers. That would hurt them a lot on the world stage. They better be sitting on top of the Azov battalion pretty hard. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Drakkonis @9.2.3    2 years ago

There were multiple pictures of row after row of supposedly Russian regulars in hospitals getting treatment.

Also after a particularly bad result for one Russian convoy,

CNN and BBC were not allowed to film the dead Russians on the bridge

until Ukrainian trucks had picked up the bodies and pieces

( except for one guy they thought was booby trapped and not safe to retrieve )

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
9.2.5  Drakkonis  replied to  Split Personality @9.2.4    2 years ago

Good to know. Thanks. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago
Publishing photos of captured soldiers violates the Geneva convention

OMG-- do you think they will come after me? jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

(Or maybe they will arrest the staff of the far-left NY Post which is the source i used? And leave me alone?).

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @9.3    2 years ago
Publishing photos of captured soldiers violates the Geneva convention
OMG-- do you think they will come after me?

On second thought, despite your dire warning, I will probably be OK, because IIRC I never actually signed The Genevea Convention when I had a chance jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

The only thing that really would apply to me here is the NT COC-- and as I recall, it doesn't specifically mention that publishing pictures of captured soldiers is a violation.

But I'm not entirely sure about that-- will have to check!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @9.3.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.4  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

That would depend on the "official status" of who took the pictures and if Facebook is an actual publication.

Things are being posted by regular UK defense units and civilians all over the internet.

Sue them already...

Many of those same civilians today have been specifically targeted by Russian grad rocket launchers,

a much more serious violation of the Geneva Conventions by an aggressor who claims this isn't a war.

Oh the legalities.../s

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @9.4    2 years ago
Many of those same civilians today have been specifically targeted by Russian grad rocket launchers,

You do know they stop being civilians the second they pick up a weapon and start shooting, throw a molotov cocktail, or lay/set off a homemade roadside bomb. At that point they are enemy combatants; it doesn't matter if they are in uniform or not.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @9.4.1    2 years ago

I doubt that you could lecture me in much, but international law and the Geneva Conventions?

Are you serious?

Dozens of people were killed in their apartments, many still asleep at 8AM by either a cruise missile or

cluster bombs from "Grad" ( hail stones ) missiles.

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @9.4.1    2 years ago

Heaven fucking forbid they defend themselves against this totally unjustified attack and see 9.4.2 . . . these people killed for no fucking reason, invaded for no fucking reason.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
9.4.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @9.4.1    2 years ago
You do know they stop being civilians the second they pick up a weapon and start shooting, throw a molotov cocktail, or lay/set off a homemade roadside bomb. At that point they are enemy combatants; it doesn't matter if they are in uniform or not.

You're defending the Russian invaders now?????  Trying to justify their targeting of civilians?????

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.4.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @9.4    2 years ago
Sue them already...

Relax tough guy. 

Here's Aural Sauri

"The videos and stills I have seen are definitely not compatible with the requirements of Art 13 of the Third Geneva Convention. It is permissible for the detaining power to take images of POWs for discharging its obligations, e.g. to process them or for legitimate medical

Video of identifiable, captured Russian soldiers calling their mothers absolutely falls into the "humiliating propaganda" category, and is explicitly how POWs are not supposed to be used. This should be called out whenever necessary."

He's a Professor of international law, and you are a guy who doesn't think the Geneva convention applies to the side you oppose.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.4.6  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.4.5    2 years ago

Here's the toothless ICRC article you seem to need to read.

Frequently asked questions on the rules of war | International Committee of the Red Cross (icrc.org)

So get together with the Professor and sue them for not being able to enforce the Geneva Conventions and

protocols /s

While you're at it, sue all of the news outlets for their coverages of "Desert Storm" and "Shock and Awe"

and every other American adventure that produced pictures of prisoners.  ( I do not believe you have standing. lol )

He's a Professor of international law, and you are a guy who doesn't think the Geneva convention applies to the side you oppose. 

Laughable nonsense expected from an internet lawyer. 

The GCs don't appear to be enforced by anyone very often, maybe that can be your next research project

Per Bing there doesn't appear to be a professor of Law named Aural Sauri? 

maybe it's my browser /s

Also it may be significant to you that while officially Moscow is still a signatory to the GC protocols.

Putin instructed the lower house of parliament to revoke parts of the protocols in October of 2019,

the Protocols that were approved by the former Soviet government.

Russia's Putin revokes Geneva convention protocol on war crimes victims | Reuters

(( btw the rules state that if you quote someone, you supply a link. ))

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.4.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @9.4.6    2 years ago
The GCs don't appear to be enforced by anyone very often

All that irrelevant spittle and your argument  boils down "The GCs don't appear to be enforced by anyone very often"

Thanks for proving my point.  You can lay off all performative hand waiving and just admit I'm correct.

e r Bing there doesn't appear to be a professor of Law named  Aural Sauri? 

A typo. 

Given your apparent obsession with litigation,  I suggest you sue him for explaining the Geneva Convention. 

utin instructed the lower house of parliament to revoke parts of the protocols in October of 2019,

Which has nothing to do with the provision at issue. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.4.8  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.4.7    2 years ago
You can lay off all performative hand waiving and just...

Fuck off. 

There fixed it for you.

Enjoy your sophomoric contrarianism, you excel at it as if it matters to anyone...

Thanks for the link (finally), I am sure the IRC and The Hague hang on his every proclamation. /s 

Which has nothing to do with the provision at issue. 

But it made you look and get a little bit smarter about what Putin cares about the GC, you are welcome.

Which is nothing at all.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.4.9  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @9.4.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.5  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

I wonder if it applies when war has not been declared.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @9.5    2 years ago

That is one of the banal issues that the Russians are depending on.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.5.2  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @9.5.1    2 years ago

Oh yeah, I was convinced of that the moment Putin said he was engaged in a “military operation” without saying anything about war.

He’s covering his ass in case this shit goes sideways for him and he ends up on trial for war crimes. “But we never declared war.” Yeah, right.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.5.3  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @9.5.2    2 years ago

You really think Putin will be alive to face war crimes?

First Russia would have to lose; and I don't mean just lose- but lose in such a way that the US and NATO were literally knocking at his front doorstep militarily. We will all be glowing in the dark forever before that happens.

Second, he will be dead long before that by one of his inner circle. That is the real person everyone needs to watch out for- the person that can rest control of Russia from Putin.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.5.4  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @9.5.3    2 years ago

Certainly, anything can happen.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @9.5.2    2 years ago

Then what the hell is Putin engaged in? The man is clearly unstable.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.5.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.5    2 years ago

Yeah, I'd love to hear that.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @9.5.6    2 years ago

Mr G was telling me this morning he saw an interview with Condoleeza Rice. She's met with Putin a time or two and said he was unstable

I'm going to seed this. If this comment is promotion of a my seed I plan to publish, please delete

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9.5.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.7    2 years ago

He is a squirrely, shifty eyed little prick.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @9.5.8    2 years ago

I agree but I would call him a weaselly little prick

JBB
Professor Principal
9.5.10  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.9    2 years ago

The term I keep seeing used is, "Feral Eyed"...original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @9.5.10    2 years ago

The dog is cuter

JBB
Professor Principal
9.5.12  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.11    2 years ago

It is a stunning resemblance...

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.5.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.7    2 years ago
If this comment is promotion of a my seed I plan to publish, please delete

Naw..

In fact. not only should it not be deleted...it should be voted up!

Which in fact I just did.

Despite my possible violations of the Geneva Conventions (which, BTW, I've never signed),  violations of the CoC and the TOS, alledged violations of the teachings of Jesus (PBUH)...the Holy Koran, etc, etc...I am still on this site...even given some of extreme stupidity and nastiness of the usual suspects...I remain a user of this website.

Which may or may not continue for long (I'm sure a lot of people here would be glad to see me go...) but I may or may not give in to their wishes...I'll  might possibly even hang around for a period of time jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif ).

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.5.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @9.5.8    2 years ago
He is a squirrely, shifty eyed little prick.

Seems it wasn't so long ago that a certain ex-president (He whose name shall not be mentioned) as well as the talking (but empty) heads over at Faux News-- were constantly singing the praises of Vladimir Putin. As well as certain of the more mentally challenged unusually nasty  "Usual Suspects" here who for some bizarre reason are still allowed to spread their extreme nastiness & obsessive hatreds here.

But then again, as Good 'ole Al Einstein once said:

I know of two things that are infinite-- the Universe and Human Stupidity and I'm not entirely sure about the former...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.5.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @9.5    2 years ago

The Convention applies "to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them'."

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
9.5.16  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tacos! @9.5    2 years ago

War declared or not , is still a war to those involved in the area of shooting and killing that didnt have a say  .

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.6  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

Well that horse has left the barn and it would be impossible to enforce after years of the US and others doing the same with impunity. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

Uh, not necessarily. It depends on the context under which the photos were taken. You should read the article in the Geneva Convention and on the treatment of POW's. It spells it out pretty well. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.8  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

Our great allies the Ukrainians violating the Geneva convention? That can't be! They would never do such a thing./S

I am sure every Putin will make sure that every last Russian soldier sees this to show how they will be treated should they be captured.

Among the complaints are that Iraq humiliated prisoners of war by allowing their questioning to be broadcast and that its forces used the white flag of surrender to lure American soldiers into ambushes.

Legal experts said the complaints were grounded in well-established international law. The fact that Iraq was attacked, the experts continued, does not alter its legal obligations.

''Who is right and who is wrong in a war, including who started it, does not matter,'' Ruth Wedgwood, a professor of international law at the Johns Hopkins University, said in a telephone interview from Geneva. ''Even if you think the war is illegal, the rules of war still apply.''

Doubt we will see any calls for the Ukrainians doing this to be sentenced in the Hague. I will give whomever is in charge of the Ukrainian PR campaign full credit, they have most of the world bent over for the Ukrainians.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.8.1  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @9.8    2 years ago

Ukraine was the victim of an unprovoked attack, so the rules of war apply, you fight back against the aggressor, which is what Ukraine is doing and doing well.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.8.2  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @9.8.1    2 years ago

Who could possibly support Russia for invading the Ukraine for absolutely no reason and who could possibly support Putin - saying this is a savvy thing to do and I believe, genius?????????????????????????????????????????

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.8.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @9.8.1    2 years ago

You fight back hard and do whatever you have to to take down the invaders.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.8.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @9.8.1    2 years ago

Spending most of my military career as a Navy  FMF qualified Hospital Corpsman, I carried a gray Geneva Conventions card in my wallet at all times. We were required to know the provisions for treatment of POW's and medical personnel.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.8.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @9.8.4    2 years ago

I think mine was red. I was assigned to a Medical Group, tho I wasn't involved in direct patient care. My card listed the articles on the treatment of POWS or how I was supposed to conduct myself as a POW...I don't remember...it was over 30 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.8.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @9.8    2 years ago
I will give whomever is in charge of the Ukrainian PR campaign full credit, they have most of the world bent over for the Ukrainians.

Well, at least we can be grateful for one thing-- at least there are people like you who aren't fooled by The Ukrainians.

Refreshing to see that there are at least some people supporting both sides are represented here on NV.

(Currently too much of the world has fallen for the Ukrainian propaganda-- at least there are folks like you who still have the courage to remain steadfast in their support and admiration for Putin-- and all the wonderful things he is supporting in Ukraine! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif ).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.8.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @9.8.6    2 years ago

I have no words, Krishna. I can't understand how anyone can think that Ukraine is propagandizing this for their own gain.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.8.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @9.8.2    2 years ago
Who could possibly support Russia for invading the Ukraine for absolutely no reason and who could possibly support Putin - saying this is a savvy thing to do and I believe, genius?????????????????????????????????????????

Well of course there's a certain ex-president who shall remain nameless..And then there are of course some of those wonderful folks over at Fox News who are uncovering the Ukrainian pro0democracy propaganda and explaining how Putin (and what he is currently doing in Ukraine) are the true heroes of this entire Brouhaha!

Oh-- and did I mention Tucker Carlson and his devotees? America (and especially NT) need more people like him!

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.8.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @9.8.2    2 years ago

Well, strange as it may seem, there are some "Very Stabile Geniuses" right here on NT!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.8.10  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @9.8.6    2 years ago

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.8.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.8.7    2 years ago
I have no words, Krishna. I can't understand how anyone can think that Ukraine is propagandizing this for their own gain.

See comment # 9 .8, above ^. 

That shows very clearly how they do it-- even showing their sneaky use common trolling techniques such as lying in a subtle way ...which at first most readers will think is actually truthful.

Yes, extremely sleazy.

Right outta Putin's & Trump's & Tucker's playbook . . . 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.8.12  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @9.8.4    2 years ago

Yup, remember it well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.8.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @9.8.11    2 years ago

I have that one on ignore

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
9.8.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @9.8    2 years ago
Our great allies the Ukrainians violating the Geneva convention? That can't be! They would never do such a thing./S I am sure every Putin will make sure that every last Russian soldier sees this to show how they will be treated should they be captured.

It is very telling that your posts are almost all anti-Ukrainian posts.  You try to justify Russian actions, and vilify the Ukrainians trying to protect their homes.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 years ago

Looking through the Geneva Convention, so far there's nothing saying it cannot be done.  

Granted I've only just begun looking so I could be wrong.  Do me a favor, if you find something to the contrary please link it.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.9.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @9.9    2 years ago

I think it pretty much boils down to that POW's cannot be photographed when being mistreated, tortured, or interrogated. Anything else is fair game.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9.9.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @9.9.1    2 years ago

Like I said, I don't see anything prohibiting it.  Virtually every country has done it.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     2 years ago

I suspect an unprovoked attack on a sovereign nation is a bigger violation of the convention than posting photos.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @10    2 years ago

butt, butt, it's just a special mission.../s

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @10.1    2 years ago

Nuh-uh! It's a training exercise!

Krishna
Professor Expert
11  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Up until recently I've been totally amazed at how well the Ukrainians have been doing!

But sadly, as of yesterday and today, IMO things are starting to look pretty grim.

Russia had only used part of their potential firepower.. and the poorly armed & tiny numbers  (by comparison) defenders of Ukraine have put up some very successful resistance.

But now the Russians  are sending in a huge amount of weapons and soldiers, and have been quickly escalating attacks on Ukrainian fighters...and have started to ramp up their numerous war crimes against Ukrainian civilians.

Its not pleasant to face the facts, but IMO we are going to see a bloodbath very shortly...many innocent Ukrainian civilians will be dying shortly jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Krishna @11    2 years ago

I pretty much expected that from the get go.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1    2 years ago

Actually the only thing    that   surprises me is that they waited so long.      

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @11.1.1    2 years ago

Apparently they've also started using cluster bombs ...on civilians.       

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Krishna @11.1.2    2 years ago

And they have already begun using FAE (Fuel Air Explosive) devices as well. Those are right up there with the MOAB and just short of a low yield nuclear device for sheer destructive power.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.3    2 years ago

thats what i described in another post., if your good at math , have the fuel and access to a crop dusting plane , its doable . it does the same thing as a thermobaric bomb.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11.1.4    2 years ago

Yep, FAE is just another name for a thermobaric bomb.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1    2 years ago
I pretty much expected that from the get go.

I think its going to accelerate exponentially in the next few days-- quite a lot of atrocitieis, against civilians ona horrific scale.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
11.1.7  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.3    2 years ago

Ed, do you have linkage to them actually using one?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Nowhere Man @11.1.7    2 years ago

I saw a news article on it yesterday. I'll seek if I can find it.