╌>

Kissinger Warns of Putin Using Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   by RBN Staff

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Henry Kissinger believes Vladimir Putin could deploy nuclear weapons in his war against Ukraine and this is something that “should be a subject of reflection” for the U.S.

“If the Russian strongman does this we can’t just accept it. It would open a new world of blackmail.”

Kissinger, who turns 99 on May 27, made these observations Saturday at the Financial Times Festival in Washington DC during a conversation with FT National Editor Ed Luce.

Having met the Russian president 25 times over the past 15 years, Kissinger said, “I learned his thinking. I thought he was kind of a mystic — with faith in Russian history as he perceived it.”

Admitting that “six months ago I would not have thought he’d start a war of that scale in Europe or anywhere,” Kissinger told a hushed audience the West must ponder “how much will he continue? Or has he reached the limit of his capabilities?”

As to whether Putin will deploy nuclear weapons, Kissinger asked aloud “[w]ill he escalate by moving into the category of weapons that in 70 years have [not been used]? Or will he accept the results [of a Ukrainian victory] without resulting to weapons that could have ended [the war] with different results?”

“We have to think how we react to that,” he said, “We can’t just accept it. It would open the world to a new world of blackmail.”

“Every war since World War II has been fought with conventional weapons,” Kissinger emphasized. But he quickly noted that “Ukraine has put an emphasis on [the possible use of] nuclear weapons. …the high tech countries will have to live with the consequences of their technology.”

He recalled discussions as a scholar on the outbreak of World War I, “which was not intended by any of the countries.” Part of the reason for its high casualties, Kissinger explained, “is that the technology that limited [casualties] as it was, got way ahead. And now, we’re in a new era.”

Use of nuclear weapons, he stressed, “should be a subject of reflection. If the line in nuclear weapons is crossed, it is something of a great consequence….It is not possible to ignore it or pretend it didn’t happen.”

Article is LOCKED by moderator [Buzz of the Orient]
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Even though he's 99 years old, he has the experience of knowing Putin better than most in the west, and I would damn well take him seriously.  I said long ago on this site that I thought that in the event that Putin appears to be losing this war, he just might want to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

‘This is the way the world ends’, T. S. Eliot tells us at the end of his 1925 poem, ‘The Hollow Men’: ‘not with a bang but a whimper.’ The quotation has become famous and is known even to those who never read T. S. Eliot’s poetry, or have never encountered ‘The Hollow Men’.

I would not put it past Putin to reverse T.S.Eliot in this regard.  The threat has already been spoken, and is there anyone here who has an argument as to why Putin would never do it?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

"an argument as to why Putin wouldn't do it?"

1.  Putin has shot his wad.  He miscalculated.  Perhaps he misinterpreted the influence and sway of the MAGA in the US.

2.  No way the Russian military or the Russian hierarchy would sacrifice their pensions, their friends, their homes, their families or their country for Putin.  What would be the point?

3.  Navalny is real.  The movement is real.  If Russia wants a future with a standing on the World stage, the Navalny option is certainly one path to take and to begin that process.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

I wonder if T.S.Eliot would have reconsidered that statement had he been living during the age that Man had the means for mass destruction causing the end of life on Earth.. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

Kissinger stops short of telling us how to handle it.  Does he think we should get the Ukrainians to offer up part of their country to Putin as a settlement?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    2 years ago
"The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,

The answer is blowing in the wind."

(Bob Dylan)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    2 years ago
Kissinger stops short of telling us how to handle it.  Does he think we should get the Ukrainians to offer up part of their country to Putin as a settlement?

I think he did. He said:

“We have to think how we react to that,” he said, “We can’t just accept it. It would open the world to a new world of blackmail.”

I would have to agree with that. First Ukraine then what? Poland? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    2 years ago
First Ukraine then what? Poland? 

Or Moldova followed by Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  bbl-1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    2 years ago

Putin does not deserve to rule.  The autocracies must fail.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    2 years ago

We can't accept it?   Where is his solution?  Is nuclear war now on the table?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

Buzz,

Of course, Putin is going to throw that out there. We were closer to nuclear war under both JFK and Reagan, by Russian leaders, who were real leaders and it didn't happen.

What Putin might do is flatten Ukraine with conventional weapons rather than let them win. That I do see as a possilbility. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    2 years ago

Kissinger.  Always interesting to hear one war criminal discuss the options of another war criminal.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @2    2 years ago

I guess you've heard the idiom "It takes one to know one."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

No offense, but I'm not taking advice on a nuclear confrontation from a 99 year old, I dont care who it is. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

When you reach your later 80s and older, you might reconsider that comment. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 years ago

I have medical issues. It is unlikely I'll be alive in my late 80s.  99 year olds can say whatever they want. God bless em. Should they influence nuclear policy? Of course not. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    2 years ago
Should they influence nuclear policy?

What nuclear policy do you think that he was trying to influence?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    2 years ago
I have medical issues. It is unlikely I'll be alive in my late 80s

Stay positive JR and informed on the relevant medical advances.  Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 mucinous adenocarcinomas.  In 2019, the 5-year overall survival rate with that diagnosis was 48%.  My treatment was challenging, but all indications are that now I'm cancer free.  I found two great medical teams and I did my part while they did theirs.  I assumed that the stats weren't very useful when applied at the individual level and I looked forward.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    2 years ago
 "Should they influence nuclear policy? Of course not."

He was just giving his opinion - doesn't mean he meant to influence policy.  You're entitled to ignore him, but I voiced my concern about what he has now opined long ago, and I'm not 99 yet. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.3    2 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.3    2 years ago

last December I had a "widow maker" heart attack and rather substantial heart failure. 

Its not going to come all the way back. 

I am hopeful but extremely uncertain about the future. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    2 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear that.  I have a friend that had I think a similar heart attack on his left side 4 years ago.  He was one of my coaches as I had my multiple surgeries and recovery.  He was fortunate and got to a great hospital relatively quickly and the blockage was soon opened. 

You and your heart may be surprisingly resilient and while I don't believe in miracles, I think that one's attitude also plays a role.  Hang in there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    2 years ago

Stay with us, John.  Maybe others on this site don't feel the way I do, but especially since I'm so far removed from all of you here, although in contact with you every day, I feel that together we are one big family, with our differences of course, but what family does not have its differences.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.7    2 years ago

Thanks.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.8    2 years ago

Thanks. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.11  charger 383  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    2 years ago

John & Wry Drinker, hope both of you do well and feel good

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  charger 383 @3.1.11    2 years ago

Thank you, I'm doing well and getting stronger every month.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.3    2 years ago

Congrats DORW. I'm glad you are cancer free! 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.13    2 years ago

Thank you, I had a great medical team and strong, supportive family and friends.  It certainly has changed my perspective on US medical care and how it's paid for.  Had I been a lower middle income earner in the middle of Oklahoma, I would probably be dead by now.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.14    2 years ago

I saw that too, when a teacher I knew, lost her home to Sloan Kettering bills. It does change ones perspective.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.16  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.15    2 years ago

How does that happen to a teacher? Did she work for a parochial school? My mom was a public school teacher. Her pay sucked but her health insurance was solid gold and she gets special benefits even long into retirement...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.15    2 years ago
It does change ones perspective.

National Nurses Week is ongoing now.  It's a small thing, but last year I sent Edible Arrangements to the two shifts of nurses and techs in the ward that I spent a total of 3 months in over a period of 8 months.  This year it was assorted Jersey Mike's Subs.  Pizzas went to the Chemo Center that I got my infusions at. They were wonderful professionals combining skills, and empathy while caring for me in this time of COVID.  I spent 24 years in the Army and did a combat tour but they are my heroes.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    2 years ago
Her pay sucked but her health insurance was solid gold

My wife is a teacher in Fairfax County VA.  They are offered one of three medical plans, at different price points but all three are very good, the principal differences are the number of providers and costs if going outside the system.  

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.20  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.18    2 years ago

I have heard many horror stories from people who thought they were covered but found out they were not, with private insurance. State and federal employees have good coverage...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.1.20    2 years ago

Indeed, I’ve had federal coverage since I was 22.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
I'm not taking advice on a nuclear confrontation from a 99 year old

I'm surprised that he felt that he knew you well enough to give you advice.  What was it?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Kissinger doesn't explain what Putin would consider a defeat.  That shouldn't be difficult since Kissinger is well acquainted with Putin.  Notice, too, that Kissinger doesn't tell us what a Ukrainian victory would be, either.

So far it appears that Russian control of Crimea is ensured.  And it appears that the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts won't surrender to the Kyiv government.  Why would those outcomes be a defeat for Putin?

Putin obviously isn't meeting Kissinger's expectations.  That only tells us that Kissinger would topple the Ukrainian government and attempt to build a nation in America's image.  Kissinger's nation building goals have never worked.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

I ashamed to say that I didn’t give health care much thought.  I had always been pretty healthy and through the military, I was removed from any costs.  When I did think about it, I thought that our system of private care allowed for innovation and high tech and people just needed to get insurance.  

I had state of the art care at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.  They are one of about 20 that is experienced in the procedure that I needed and probably one of the top four in the country doing it.  

I have paid very little out of pocket and the bills for three surgeries plus chemo and a local oncologist were very large.

I know that I’m very fortunate to have had the quality of care available to me and not to have worried about a financial impact on my family.

I don’t have all the answers on what a replacement system should look like but I see health care now as a basic right in a wealthy country like ours.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
6.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    2 years ago

JHU is my twin daughters' Alma Mater and they were pre-med there. Indeed you had amazing medical care.

I have lived here and in London and finding the perfect system is a tough deal. In England everyone gets care, but it is doled out. Here some do and some don't. 

But I agree with you that health care should be a basic right in a wealthy country like ours, in one form or another.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    2 years ago

If Canada can do it, the USA can.  However, maybe the Insurance company lobbyists are very effective in the USA.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Good thing I'm so lenient with off-topic comments, as long as they're friendly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    2 years ago

Buzz,

That has always been my policy, too.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    2 years ago

Good thing, sorry I forgot and got carried away a bit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.2    2 years ago

Take note that I didn't stop it, and in fact I welcomed it.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    2 years ago

I figure I’m as qualified as anyone else to opine on what I think this lunatic will do, so here goes.

I kind of doubt he will employ nukes only to beat Ukraine. If they get bogged down and frustrated there, the Russians will probably just hang around for 20 years like they did in Afghanistan and eventually give up. Very sad for Ukraine, though.

However, if Putin feels like Russia is under threat from NATO, then yeah, I think he would use nukes.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 years ago

A good opine.  Haha

Some people forget they were in Afghanistan before us. Close to as long as well, I think.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Almost 10 p.m., time to lock up for the night.  See you in the morning, if anyone's interested.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Good morning to a few, and good evening to most everyone else.  This shop is now open for business.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

No comments posted all day, so this article will now hibernate permanently.