Via:  perrie-halpern  •  10 years ago  •  147 comments

The Results of the Polls

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

Sorry about the formatting... I tried and I tried but I just couldn't get it right.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    10 years ago
Looks great Perrie.The only way to make it better, is to get some high-powered lobbiests to help us start campaigning for next year.:~)

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Hmmm... a show of common sense, efforts toward common courtesy, and no evidence thus far of the dreaded flood of free-speech-destroying, debate-restricting, opinion-curtailing, attitude-manipulating, blood-drinking Satan-worshipping RedBoxRules (cue menacing organ-music). NewsTakers hasn't collapsed & cyberspace didn't implode and engulf anyone (more's the pity)...18.gif 106.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    10 years ago

If we can't be civil in attitude, we at least must be civil in language.

EXCELLENT!

That one came down to the wire I understand.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

No surprises and it looks great! Thanks for all of your hard work!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Randy!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yeah just what the world needs .....

More lobbyists. LOL!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

NewsTakers hasn't collapsed & cyberspace didn't implode and engulf anyone

So true Swami...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Should the "impasse" rule be put into the CoC ?

The exact wording on that rule is not at all clear . I suggest the following : The commenter who calls an impasse is not permitted to say any more on the topic . Everyone else has no restrictions except for the CoC . That's right . The impasse caller just said anyone can have the last word ... or diatribe .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

truly Nowhere

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am open to the verbiageof the impasse rule.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

So ... the impasse rule is like Obamacare ? We have to pass it B4 we see what is there ! Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No... not like Obama care. Many of us have been using the impasse rule for quite some time... we just never applied wording to the actual practice. In this way, it is the exact opposite to the ACA.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

It seems to me that if someone even implies that a member is a bigot or racist it should be deemed to be the same as actually using the word. I agree with the inclusion of "anti-Semite" in the list, but I think that it should also be an offence when someone complains they are being called an anti-Semite just because they're critical of Israel, which is just as odious.

What action will be taken against a member who tells another one to "Fuck off" or to go fuck themselves?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I agree with Randy on that. If calling an impasse by one member enables the other or others to continue with the argument (or criticism) in a manner that implicates the impasse caller, it is a useless exercise, frustrating for the person who calls the impasse.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Proud of ya'll for all your hard work - thanks.Smile.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

and the ones who unfairly lable you?

Or better put, you need to call someone a name to make your point? how juvenile!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

Perrie

Excellent work with he voting and the presentation of issues.

The results are about as expected, I imagine and nothing is likely to really change in the manner or style of "debate and discussion" as a result, anyone fearful of being overcome by civility really has nothing to fear.

Again thanks for orchestrating the process.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

I've never been called a racist here but i am glad they instituted rules to protect you.

And I just bet you just wanted and had to be the first one to break that rule didn't you.

And then misuse the impasse rule to prevent it from being pointed out. kinda seal your deal so to speak.

All kinds of firsts Mr Fish.

You just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, or are you demonstrating your real intent here to intentionally disrupt?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Use the impasse rule to throw an insult out there and prevent any comeback. Just not in the spirit of things are you Mr Fish.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Sarcasm isn't what I would call compassion.

The rule isn't designed to protect bad behavior.

And, this type of behavior was predicted to happen soon after the voting started.

Not surprised that is happened this quickly, and within Ms Halpern's own article announcing the vote results.

You guys really don't like those rules do you.

PS: Your response Mr jwc2blue was also predicted.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Impasse just means to me the person who says "Impasse" is through arguing a point with another member or group of members. It gives that member the opportunity to say "I'm finished discussing this issue with you". It doesn't mean the other member can't continue commenting or arguing, but it is a little ridiculous to do so, so the gentleman or lady like thing to do is also accept it and say "Impasse" as well. Doesn't mean you're finished discussing the article, just means you are finishing arguing a point that is getting nowhere.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

And your point was?

That your one of those people who doesn't care and are going to do it their way anyway despite the rules?

You actually proving the need for them, in spades.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

The RULE is NOT designed to protect BAD behavior or the flaunting of other rules.

No impasse happened, cause no debate took place.

He used one rule in am attempt to protect his breaking the other.

And now you claim I am the one breaking the rule. There was never any debate in the first place. His intent is clear, as is yours.

Your defending his use, which means you agree with his use. another rule to twist to your own advantage.

I've got a life, you aught to try one.

Fine, the conclusion one has to draw from this is the whole meta thing we just went thru was absolutely worthless, the vote was meaningless nothing is going to change,

CAUSE THE ASSHOLES ON HERE DON'T WANT IT TO!

and you two have proven it.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

BF - solution to the Meme. Just say "Look at this" Grin.gif

solution to impasse. That's not a rule. All you're doing is saying I've had enough. It doesn't mean you can't beat your head up against the wall all you want.

Racists - solution I was born a racist and didn't even know it until I'm was enlightened here on NT. I am white and from the south. The only thing that could be any worse is have been in the military and am now a policeman.Grin.gif

I like sarcasm and plan to use it as wisely as I can. Grin.gif

I never argued. I just watched. Grin.gif

safe and secure. Never bothered me. Grin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

badfish, An excellent test of the IMPASSE rule - nope, it wasn't an intent to disrupt as it was an attempt to see what would happen if it was used. Could IMPASSE mean STFU in certain situations? Yes, it could, and it can be easily abused.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Nowhere, it didn't stop you and I'm glad. All "impasse" means to me is I'm through talking about this point. I get your point, but impasse will only be used by those who realize it's a waste to continue arguing. It's not a declaration of "I just won the argument". To me it just means I'm tired of arguing about it.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

John, bla bla bla's "are the last resort of the inarticulate, unless proven otherwise."

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

and that is exactly what he used it for.

along with his "Test" of the racist rule.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

BF called "Impasse." More than once.

You ignored him, and the ruleand continued to make comments. It isn't me that "doesn't care and are going to do it their way despite the rules."

Impasse should have meant BF was finished discussing it, not Nowhere.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Nice comment John.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

You do notice who's arguing about it claiming it's a proper use of it don't you?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

He doesn't get it Six.

He doesn't want to get it.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    10 years ago

The only question that is BEGGING to be asked is ...

If NO slam articles are allowed on the front page, when exactly does the 36 hours start for the NO slam articles that are NOT allowed on the front page and when does the 36 hours end for the NO slam articles allowed on the front page? 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

RE-Read it LoneRranger, it actually fairly clear and not funny at all...

psst: a hint, it's in the HD part, HD standing for "Heated Discussions"

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

OK, re read it and it says

"NO slam articles on the front page and leave up for 36 hours." 11%/6" OK Nowhere I'll read it one more time,. it says

"NO slam articles on the front page and leave up for 36 hours." 11%/6" Now Nowhwere what were you saying about it saying HD?

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I sincerely hope someone believes you.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

true that, bf.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

ok it says.

"No Slam Articles on the Front Page (they go into HD) and extending the life of them to 48 hours"

That's the title of the questions to be selected.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

OH brother! you are a BAAAD fish!!! Grin.gif

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Gunny

I agree no change was desired and the results of the voting confirmed that - no change will be forthcoming

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

John

bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla

The most intellectual statement you have made in months

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    10 years ago

What if content appears to be racist, anti-semitic, bigoted, etc. . If we cite the content in question and state why it is any of these, that is not the same as calling a member a "bigot," etc. .

For example "I find statement "X" to be "racist" because _________________________________."

Not being able to do this gives a free pass to such statements.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

YES THAT WAS THE TOPIC BEING VOTED ON, iT WAS VOTED THAT no SLAM ARTICLES WERE TO BE PUT ON THE FRONT PAGE. AND IT WAS ALSO VOTED THAT THOSE SLAM ARTICLES THAT ARE not ALLOWED ON THE FRONT PAGE CAN ONLY BE UP FOR 36 HOURS sO, nOWHERE I WILL ASK MY QUESTION AGAIN, (sorry CAOS stuck, not yelling)

If NO slam articles are allowed on the front page, when exactly does the 36 hours start for the NO slam articles that are NOT allowed on the front page and when does the 36 hours end for the NO slam articles allowed on the front page? 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OMG... OK folks get a grip.

To use the impasse rule, there had to be a discussion that lasted a while before it was called. It has been used in the past to stop arguments that were just going round in circles and there was never going to be agreement. It can't be used as a tool to shut the other person up.

You are all adults here. Need I say more?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

If the moderators are confused by the rules then we are in for a rough ride

Smile.gif

Or should I say the rough ride continues

Smile.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Memes are the last resort of the inarticulate

Inarticulate? Au contraire, mon ami. A picture can save having to write 1000 words. They can make a point in a manner that even a child can understand - sometimes more accurately than even YOU are capable of expressing, and, as well, sometimes with humour which in iteslf is a desireable tool.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Perhaps he was trying for 1000 words and ran out of energy before reaching that goal. I think he was trying to prove that 1000 words are worth a picture.

But a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?

(Robert Browning)

In John's case, his grasp has been exceeded.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

...and sweeter.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

My thoughts, too, Mac.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

What is an IMPASSE in Conjunction with Disputes

By definition: "IMPASSE"

" a situation in which no progress is possible, esp. because of disagreement;

a deadlock."

There are times when, in either personal or formal situations, parties, after prolonged discussion, argumentation, negotiations, or, even combat, it becomes evident that a continuation will not only fail to come to an amicable agreement or compromise, but deteriorate further without resolution.

When one or both of the parties realize that such a state has been reached, they can exit or halt the interaction before it becomes toxic and counter productive.

That's the time for one or both parties to declare an "IMPASSE."

In the early 1970's, I was involved in a long labor/management dispute over a contract negotiation that had become acrimonious and hopelessly stalled. That dispute directly involved the lives over 30,000 individuals and, residually, the entire city of Philadelphia economically, socially and politically.

After months of no progress in negotiations and the prospect of no end in sight with serious collateral damage, President Richard Nixon sent a mediator to Philadelphia to act as a buffer between the sides and help to end the impasse FOR THE GOOD OF ALL ADVERSELY AFFECTED.

A DISCUSSION website like The NEWSTALKERS, et al, lives or dies on activity on the volume and quality of its lifeblood DISCUSSION ITSELF. Disagreement, debate, disparate discourse add life and color to such a site; BUT WHEN DEBATE BECOMES DISPARAGING AND TWO OR MORE PARTIES CEASE TO ADD RELEVANT CONTENT, COLLATERAL DAMAGE IS THE MOST LIKELY RESULT!

Bad news for a DISCUSSION site. When personal insults and bad feelings begin to erode a thread, some of the thread participants leave that thread; and if there are too many such erosions, some will leave NT altogether.

Thus, THE IMPASSE RULE.

Here's how it works.

1) Two NT Members have reached a point in a thread where they've said everything in the way of discussion/debate and it's clear they will no agree going forward.

2) Rather than becoming endlessly redundant, counter productive, possibly insulting, ONE OF THE TWO DECLARES "IMPASSE."

3) From that point in the discussion and as long as that discussion is in progress, THOSE TWO MEMBERS WILL NOT ADDRESS ONE ANOTHER NOR REFER TO ONE ANOTHER EITHER DIRECTLY OR BY WAY OF ALLUSION.

The last word in the particular thread between the two will be "IMPASSE!"

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

The last word in the particular thread between the two will be "IMPASSE!"

Good planin theory, I will withhold judgment until we see how it works in practice

Thanks for the explanation of how it is going to work

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks First!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Bigot, racist, anti-semite.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should be able to call out someone when they are being a racist, bigot or anti-semite. Not being able to clearly state that we find a comment racist allows the racist to continue their racist and destructive behavior.

Are there racists, bigots and anti-semites on NT? Yes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The more I think about it, the more I think we should be able to call out someone when they are being a racist, bigot or anti-semite. Not being able to clearly state that we find a comment racist allows the racist to continue their racist and destructive behavior.

Does the ban on calling a member racist, bigot or an anti-Semite prevent the statement made by such person being called racist, bigoted or anti-Semitic? If not, then the ban does not prevent the point from being made.

Although I believe A.Mac has made the point that attacking the statement (or the source) as being racist, bigoted or anti-Semitic is not contrary to the COC, but calling the member one of those names is. However, I would also like to see Perrie's take on this.

If that were so it would be a relief to Randy, who made it clear early in the comments to this article that he would find a way to so label a person whom in his opinion he feels qualifies for being so criticized by him.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Those who denigrate your sources cannot win by any other way.

I made a fine living, in part, by denigrating sources when they made assertions that were inaccurate, intentionally misleading or otherwise not credible; I won many a case/argument by showing the flaws, fallacies and foibles of witnesses that, in the end, failed to make their case.

Checking sources is analogous to determining witness credibility or the lack thereof.

Those who cut and paste cannot win by any other way.

You mean those who provide specifics by posting them and their sources in order to either make their case or debunk someone else's? Is that what you mean?

Name calling is not the same as explaining why someone's opinion represents a denigrating view. It's among the reasons why we have adjectives.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Who decides what is racist and what is not? Some on nt'ers declare an opposing view on race to be racist.

True Max, which is why we took a vote on it, and now no one can call another member that.

No one knows what is in the hearts and minds of another....

Unless they are wearing a white robe or a swastika.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

They showed me an inkblot of your brain capacity and it freaked me out.

Quite an understandable comment.

2801_discussions.jpg

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    10 years ago

Buzz said:

It seems to me that if someone even implies that a member is a bigot or racist it should be deemed to be the same as actually using the word.

What if they clearly are a racist and/or a bigot? I try to make it obvious to the casual observer by using the words of the person to damn themselves.

What action will be taken against a member who tells another one to "Fuck off" or to go fuck themselves?

It will be suggested that the member take there own advice to heart.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Thank you Brolly.

Freshman Silent

Just an idle question: How could anything imploding engulf something? An implosion requires contraction and engulfing conjures images of reaching out which would seem on the face of things to be opposite actions..... :D

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

As I understand it, if a member makes racist comments, the commentscan be pointed out. The person making those comments cannot be called a racist.

Trying to follow this logic or lack of. Racist comments, are racist, but the person using them isn't...Got it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The problem was not so much IMO that a racist was called a racist, but I believe it has been used to slander in order to squelch the argument posted by a person who was NOT a racist. I have been called a racist on NT notwithstanding that no proof of that could be produced, so calling me such is a libel done from the safety of anonymity.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I see what you saying Buzz. If the person makes a racist comment, it's difficult to not call them a racist, simply by the comments they made, they are racist.

If, as you stated, it's used to squelch an argument where no racist comments have been made, then I will agree with you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I see what you saying Buzz. If the person makes a racist comment, it's difficult to not call them a racist, simply by the comments they made, they are racist.

If I understand you correctly Kavika... let one's words speak for themselves. It usually has the larger impact. Name calling never got anything achieved.

Freshman Silent

Agreed 100%, Buzz.

Freshman Silent

bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla

directed at the responses, not the announcement itself

More Meta!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Those who have been the offenders will continue to be the offenders without punishment.

I have often found that those who cry foul, have fouled themselves.

I agree no change was desired and the results of the voting confirmed that - no change will be forthcoming

Change doesn't not happen overnight. It has to become habitual. For instance, the simple new rule of putting in by lines has only happened twice. Baby steps my friend.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

All you have to do Robert is part of the solution.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Perrie, calling a person a racist, if they have made racist statements, isn't name calling. But, I tend to let their words speak for themselves.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Bruce, I don't believe in calling a person a racist for taking a stand that would differ from mine. I may really disagree with it, but will not use the term until they make a racist statement. At that point, the gloves are off.

So, we are in agreement on this.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Bottom line to this whole deal was to get the name calling to end. Nothing shuts down a discussion like name calling. And as a matter of fact, I just witness this on the "other place" and no they don't allow it... much less, even statements that sound a bit off colored... no pun intended.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ummmmmm.......no.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent

Simply amazing....

Umpteen pages of Meta discussing potential or proposed CoC/policy changes. Still more angst & breast-beating over the looming menace of stultifying RBRs. Voting voting voting...

AND NOW!!!!

Two rules that were approved by reasonable margins: 1) let's stop pinning nasty hot-buttonlabels on people, and 2) 'Impasse', to try and cut down on pointless personality-driven tit-for-tat Peewee Herman 'dialogue' that contributes nothing to discussion...

producing 10 MORE pages of (mostly) drivel that amounts to "I'm goingto find new ways to label people as racist/anti-Semite/whatever" and a bunch of pointless personality-driven tit-for-tat Peewee Herman 'dialogue' that contributed nothing to the discussion.76.gif 76.gif 76.gif

Ah, the schadenfreude...36.gif

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Gunny

Anexcellent metaphor for how things seem to go on NT at times.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Perrie

Change indeed comes slowly, but the baby must learn to crawl before meaningful steps are considered - I remain patient

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Indeed

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

But you are not in a court room or any other situation that you made a living in. Here we have supposedly NORMAL people. I make that statement lightly. We do not need sources to be attacked if our opinions are based on years of those sources.

Right! What was I thinking? Facts, accuracy, truth they only matter to abnormal people, NOT NORMAL PEOPLE LIKE OURSELVES!

You don't need sources to be attacked if your opinions are based on years of those sources UNLESS BY SOME CHANCE YOUR SOURCES AREN'T CREDIBLE then you might want to reconsider your opinions rather than continue being misinformed and living under an illusion or lie.

your arbitration techniques are not required in the NT scope of things being discussed. You dont like mine I dont like yours where does that get you. NOWHERE. And never will. Its the same as attacking the person directly.

Actually, if someone points out an error and corrects that error, they're doing you a service giving you the time and respect to explain why your opinion may be sincerely held BUT INCORRECT.

Would you prefer expressing something that is factually flawed and not being corrected? If that were the case, every time you expressed that inaccuracy, those who knew better would regard you as either being misinformed, or, ignorant and possibly arrogant when showing disdain for a respectful correction.

An effort to be helpful is not a direct personal attack; it's a gesture of integrity and caring about the truth.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    10 years ago

There you go, Perrie! Time to implement the rules accordingly.Smile.gif Smile.gif No further discussion allowed, right?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Your "your source is not credible" is just a personal attack on that person cause they believe their source to be reliable.

Not if the source is, in fact, shown to be indeed, not credible. I always include corrections when I challenge a source and will often include some history about what makes them culpable for misinformation or outright lying!

Correcting bad information is not a personal attack unless one chooses to take honest dialogue as a personal affront.

You cannot correct someones thought process because you disagree with their source that they believe is true.

If the thought is based on faulty information and the corresponding "reasoning," I sure can. Whether the correction results in a more accurate belief is up to the person being corrected.

Leave well enough alone and just stick to the spirit of the discussion instead of cutting peoples feet off from under them.

Going forward, I will leave "well enough alone" when it comes to you and me.

So, agreed. IMPASSE.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ferona,

It will work the same way it always worked. After a long discussion, a person can say impasse and bow out. It should be agreed upon by both parties. But saying "Impasse" after a long discussion that is going no where should be honored. There is no penalty for not honoring it.

Robert has it right on this. Read here:

It's best when both parties agree to it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I tend to agree with you, Feronia. And honestly, I usually let the other guy or gal get the last word in if I grow tired of the battle. Just ask Robert :)

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

The problem has always been enforcement.

Until you have a system of enforcement, any rule put in place will be ignored by those that disagree with it.

Just like society in general, the criminals do not follow the law, they just don't care.

This is why we have police in the greater society cause some form of enforcement is required, here we have moderators. But what if the moderators disagree with the rule? or outright refuse to enforce it?

This is the problem here right now in a nutshell, the rules have been voted upon and are in place, who is going to enforce them?

The only workable solution was said to be so bulky and bloated as to be inefficient leading to even more problems. But the objections were clearly and actually revealing a lack of understanding in how the forum actually works. And, how the enforcement can be set up to almost seamlessly integrate with the way the board functions in real life.

The arguments served as a way to make the rules irrelevant by those that don't like them.

Rules are worthless without enforcement.

This conversation, meta as it is, demonstrates that principle very clearly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yup Neetu!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

EG,

I allow for silliness on my articles as a release valve. I do not ever take offense, unless it is meant to be offensive.

Rules are worthless without enforcement.

I agree. But they are also worthless if no one reports, which happens most of the time.

And BTW, no one likes having their comments removed. You don't have to beat someone up with a stick, if you do that consistently. The idea that harsher punishment means better behavior doesn't work. Consistent punishment does. Child rearing 101.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Consistant?

Agree 100%

Which is sorely lacking in some cases. The word issue is a minor one easily handled thru software.

Will leave the posters who like to do the name calling, looking pretty foolish when their post winds up being nothing but an unintelligible string of asterisks.

The foolish will appear foolish and to communicate effectively one would need to stop the juvenile behavior. No moderation needed, the only punishment is one the poster brings upon himself. And, it's immediate and plain for all to see.

Problem solved.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Your welcome sir, I'm so glad your happy! Grin.gif

The term Asshole as I used it was used generically and wasn't pointed at anyone person or persons.

You do realize that earlier on this very article you called two members Assholes after one stated Impasse? Proving your above statement to be dishonest!

I'll take the judgment that was issued over the "Impasse" used there, it was both inappropriate and used to squelch response. Which is NOT what it was to be used for.

And sarcasm is a perfectly fine method of communication, until it is pointed specifically at a person to ridicule them.

Your own foolishness was on perfect exhibition as well.

And very aptly an succinctly pointed out.

Anything further I can do to brighten your day?

Or, you just want to gloat like a juvenile over accomplishing nothing?

Thought you were better than that.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago

Thank you, Perrie. and good luck!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    10 years ago

Sorry about the formatting... I tried and I tried but I just couldn't get it right.

The format is fine, it'slegible.

The results are what I'm sorry about.

Memes I don't care about, I never use them.

'Slams' off FP - No Brainer, but I'm still not clear on the definition of a 'slam'.

Graphic Warning - No Brainer

Remove inactive groups - No Brainer

Racist, Bigot - I'm not so sure about. There are people on this site that are clearly racist and/or bigots, and I find not being able to say it to them to be a problem.

'Empass Rule' - As I said in the discussion, that one is going to be a problem - especially to the Mods.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I guess I'll have to find a new way to call people racists and bigots.

People have no clue that they're presenting themselves as racists and bigots. IMO, it's important to be able to point it out to them.

People can't correct or modify their behavior if they aren't aware they have a problem.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Who's ever pushing RBR should be the ones to implode!

Ditto!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Should the "impasse" rule be put into the CoC ?

The exact wording on that rule is not at all clear .I suggest the following :

You can suggest all you want, but everybody is going to have their own interpretation, and the rule is going to present problems. Mark my words.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Memes Some people have better visual skills than others. Some people have better dialog skills than others. Memes as the only thing in the article is a little lack luster to me. I think the person putting the meme up in the article should at least make a comment.

Slams As you say, I'm not sure what is considered a slam. I would have to assume it is an article against another member. Definitely should be in Heated Discussions only. If a slam article is an article that some people just don't like, I don't agree with it being a slam.

Graphic Warning Message in the article that indicates there will be graphic images visible if you click on this article.

Remove inactive groups May as well.

Racist, Bigot You can call me a bigot if you want. I don't care. I don't see what benefit there would be in doing so, I'll probably do it myself as well.

Empass Rule This means to me that I have come to the conclusion we are getting nowhere in our debate or argument and neither one of us is going to accept winning or losing the argument, so I am telling the other person there's no point in continuing. If you think you won the argument or I think I won the argument means nothing to me. After awhile it just gets to be arguing for the sake of arguing. In my opinion that doesn't stop the other person from continuing if they so desire, but it stops me. If I say "impasse" then I am basically saying I will not comment any more on this point. It doesn't mean I can't make future comments on the article, but none on the one I designated as ended for me. It just says I realize we are not going to agree.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Gunny

Were you really expecting a dramatic increase in civility?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    9 years ago

We need to redefine a slam article.

I don't think it's ever been defined, but I do know this isn't the first time someone has suggested we get a definition.

I don't think we should be restricted from posting an article that iscriticalof a members ideology, writing style or other NT activities. We are all subject to criticism when we post on a public forum, and we should not be overly sensitive to that criticism. However if the criticism is abusive and/or demeaning, then the moderators need to step in and determine if the article, as a whole or in part, is in violation of the CoC.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    9 years ago

No one knows what is in the hearts and minds of another....

Unless they are wearing a white robe or a swastika.

Give me a break Perrie, comments have often been posted that clearly indicate the author holds a racist bias.

The word was included with the terms anti-semite and bigot, would "racist" have been banned if it were voted on separately?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Those words when applied to members does nothing but inflames an issue. Let people's words speak for themselves without the name calling.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Most people no longer bother to report, even if they now know how, because nothing ever gets done about it.

Raven,

I am sorry you feel that way, but when things are reported, they are removed. The archives prove that.

There will never be a way to please everyone. One person's teeth, is another person's heavy handedness. We try to strike up a balance. It will never be perfect but we can try to make it better.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I have noticed a real difference, of late. Not because I came back on a mod, but long before that. I think everyone is making a huge effort to help.

I know I will. (Make a huge effort to help...) Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You have made a wonderful difference here, Dowser. You're help is greatly appreciated.6.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you and I love you very much! I will do all I can to be of real help. As opposed to real trouble!

Grin.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

Dowser ,

I put a link to your homepage at the page of our newest member . She also claims to be from Ky :

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

I call Impasse, Thank you!

I'll see your impasse, raise it by two memes, up the anti by one accusation of racism, warn of graphic material, and waive my right to invoke the Red Box Rule!*

*notice how craftily I snuck in some additional (& totally unnnecesary) text in order to stimulate discussion.

Krishna
Professor Expert

If people want to hav an impasse rule, that fine with me.

But if two people are arguing & there's obviously an impasse, and one person wants to stop discussing it, you don't need a rule. All they have to do is leave the discussion-- walk away.

OR

When the other person makes a statement-- don't reply. They may try again. But if they are trying to have an argument and no-one replies, eventually thry give up.

(The problem exists because people want to have the last wrd. All you have to dois gve that up. Just walking away can be very effective).

Krishna
Professor Expert

For example "I find statement "X" to be "racist" because

Doesn't that go even beyond racism? Isn't really about the rule re: personal attacks...?

Its Ok to attack a comment. Not Ok to attck the person making it.

Calling someone stupid is a personal attack. Saying a comment is stupid is not a personal attack. (Although calling a comment stupid is not a personal attack, there are more tactful ways to say it).

Krishna
Professor Expert

B>ut what if one person callss IMPASSE and the other person disagrees? (in other words, if one person feels there's an impasse-- they've discussed it as much as they coud, got nowere, and further discussion at that point will get nowhere. BUT: the other person feels they have not yet reached an impasse, and thatfurther discussion might still be useful?

I can imagine the possibility that a person who starts to believe he is "losing" the argument (for example, the other person has just made a point he knows he can't refute) calls an impasse. he uses that to shut down the argument before hos opponent can expand on the point he jst made and win.

Basically, calling "impasse' is a way to shut up your opponent. You have to stop talking too-- but you've silenced him!

Krishna
Professor Expert

But saying "Impasse" after a long discussion that is going no where should be honored.

Here's the catch-22-- deciding when it is actualy going nowhere.

1-If both people agree its going no where-- you don't need a rule! They just both stop.(Once they both realize its going no-where-- why bother?)

BUT:

2. If one person doesn't think its an impasse, then they won't agree to stop. In which case a rule will have no power anyway.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    9 years ago

I think I've called impasse once or twice (honestly can't remember) but tend to agree. Not that impasse called by all parties isn't a valuable thing imo; but, that it is also an opportunity for manipulation. It is a fairly vulnerable position.

Krishna
Professor Expert

I made a fine living, in part, by denigrating sources when they made assertions that were inaccurate, intentionally misleading or otherwise not credible; I won many a case/argument by showing the flaws, fallacies and foibles of witnesses that, in the end, failed to make their case.

Yes but that only works in a settig where there is some degree of rationlity. On an Internet discussion forum people can say anything thy want to. And if you back up your argument against them with hard facts (links, etc)-- it still doesn't matter!

In a court of law, or any quasi-leagal system, there is a structure and rules, You are not allowed to present false infromation. You are not allowed to derail the conversation by use of personal attacks. But its different on the Internet-- anything goes.

(On the Internet, nobody know you're a dog!)

Internet_dog.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert

Here we have supposedly NORMAL people.

Do you have a link to back that up?15.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert

Facts, accuracy, truth they only matter to abnormal people,

Well, of course facts, accuracy, truth... should matter on the Internet.

SHOULD!

But based upon many years of experience on the 'net, there's not the slightest bit of doubt in my mind that they don't!

Krishna
Professor Expert

But based upon many years of experience on the 'net, there's not the slightest bit of doubt in my mind that they don't!

People who deeply believe that they should exist here-- or worse yet (for themselves) people who try to make that exist, are like the person who tries to teach a pig to sing:

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You'll only end up frustrated-- and it annoys the pig...

Krishna
Professor Expert

Who decides what is racist and what is not? Some on nt'ers declare an opposing view on race to be racist.

Since I've been on the Internet I've come to relize that we need a different definition of the wrd "racist" in this medum. So here's is one I made u tht seems to apply here:

Definition of a "racist": Anyone who has a different opinion than you do!

Krishna
Professor Expert

The only thing more sickening is a lame ass rule that prevents one from calling a racist a racist

True. Why shouldnt we be a llowed to "call a spade a spade" (to coin a phrase...)

Krishna
Professor Expert

Trying to follow this logic or lack of. Racist comments, are racist, but the person using them isn't...Got it.

Actually I think what its about is not allowing personal attacks. You are allowed to attack a statement a person makes -- but not the person making it.

Krishna
Professor Expert

And as a matter of fact, I just witness this on the "other place" and no they don't allow it.

True. Over there, as is the case on many sites, if you call someone an idiot or a racist etc its the same thing-- a personal attack. (Even if the accustion is true-- even if they are a racist, or as is so common on these sites-- even if they are an idiot).

Krishna
Professor Expert

On September 24th 2013 at 11:42 am EST someone called me a name here on newstalkers and i was injured horribly as a result.

Will this rule help?

Only if you have a link that proves it!

Krishna
Professor Expert

Umpteen pages of Meta . . . Still more angst & breast-beating over the looming menace ......

to try and cut down on pointless personality-driven tit-for-tat Peewee Herman 'dialogue' that contributes nothing to discussion...

Yup.

That's what meta is...

Krishna
Professor Expert

But what if the moderators disagree with the rule? or outright refuse to enforce it?

Yes...who is going to watch the watchers?

Krishna
Professor Expert

Until you have a system of enforcement, any rule put in place will be ignored by those that disagree with it.

Aha!.. the old "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" gambit!

Krishna
Professor Expert
I put a link to your homepage at the page of our newest member

Has Kara Lee shown up here yet?

Krishna
Professor Expert

I don't think we should be restricted from posting an article that iscriticalof a members ideology, writing style or other NT activities

I agree. But most of those have really been rather tame lately.

I think what we might need t do is hire of of those crtooinsts from Charlie Hebdo to a cartoon saitirizing certain people on NT--put the cartoon on the front page. (Then we'll really see who's favour of free speech, lol!)

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

Pardon the clich, but...dude...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

All of you knock it off or I will start to delete.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I'll bite . Who is Kara Lee and why is that important ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I will continue to delete any comments that are CoC violations and not in the spirit of this article.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Gene,

Knock it off. There were no comments made about Indians or I would have had something to say about that.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    9 years ago

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think she is the grand daughter of my cousin Virgil, Uncle Morgan Scherer's boy! I've put a message on her page, too!

Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL to have family??? Smile.gif

A Scherer, from Hawesville? HAS to be related! Thank you!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Love you, RW!!!

I will try my best.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The other watchers. The mods are a nice blend of many viewpoints. So, if'n I don't catch it, then someone else will. There are enough of us to have lots of viewpoints-- and most of us have some sort of other responsibilities, so we can't all be everywhere, all the time. Plus, on occasion, all of us just want to be members, not mods. Meaning, we are subjected to the same moderation as everyone else. Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Some of those issues were very close in the vote differential ...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I hesitate to ask Perrie to take on anything else right now... Once we get there, and things calm down, maybe we can do another poll-- or discuss this one further. I really think that we should get to the other site first, get used to working with it, and then, open discussions...

What do you think? Can we give Perrie a bit of a break? Grin.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

Why?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

The vote wasn't that long ago, and took a long time to transpire from start to finish as it was.

Take a break in your community organizing Slick Alinsky.