╌>

California's 'privilege'-based curricula are at odds with American ideals | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  112 comments

By:   Jack Brown and Ethan Blevins (The Hill)

California's 'privilege'-based curricula are at odds with American ideals | The Hill
By treating students differently based on their race, the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum violates the Fourteenth Amendment and the Civil Rights Act.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Jack Brown and Ethan Blevins, Opinion Contributors - 08/22/22 7:00 AM ET The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill 

California's schools increasingly are embracing the notion that students should be judged based on the color of their skin, rather than the content of their character. And these schools are not alone. Equality before the law, a fundamental American value, is under siege today in schools across the country. From the singling out of a biracial high school student in Nevada as an "oppressor" to teaching white students that they are inherently evil in Manhattan, K-12 education is becoming fertile ground for an assault on the ideal of equality.

Whether it be under the banner of "critical race theory," "equity," or "intersectionality," many activists and intellectuals have embraced the idea that one's character is rooted in immutable and irrelevant characteristics such as race and sex, rather than one's words and deeds. These activists have pushed for K-12 curricula that force students to participate in exercises in which they are separated based on their race and forced to describe the "privilege" or "marginalized status" they experience because of their race. This seeks to indoctrinate students in an ideology that emphasizes racial stereotyping and undermines equality before the law while silencing critics.

A radical model curriculum created by the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Consortium, an educational advisory group that promotes race-based curricula in K-12 education, is the latest example of woke teaching in California. The home page of the group's website emphasizes "lesson plans that center students in their self-identity" — based on race — and links to a YouTube video describing the sentence "I can expect my children to get a good education" as an example of white privilege.

The curriculum serves as a cautionary tale for the pitfalls of education based on racial identity. It requires students to reflect on their racial ancestors and distinguish between individuals based on the supposed "privilege" derived from their race. It also mandates ritualistic "land acknowledgments," which require students to proclaim that they occupy land owned by indigenous peoples. A similar curriculum created by this group is so radical that California Gov. Gavin Newsom rejected it in 2020 because it was "insufficiently balanced and inclusive" after it was dogged by accusations of antisemitism. Yet many school districts have rushed to adopt the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum and others like it.

By treating students differently based on their race, the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Racially divisive speech and harassment by teachers create a hostile environment for students. This emphasis on racial identity flies in the face of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream that children "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Meanwhile, compelling students to express or adopt certain viewpoints violates the First Amendment to our Constitution. In 1943, the Supreme Court held that public schools could not force students to salute the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance against their will. Curricula forcing students to espouse woke dogma and requiring them to acknowledge that they are inherently "privileged" or "oppressors" because of their race raise similar concerns. Schools cannot compel students to express views that violate their consciences.

Fortunately, some parents are standing up against this rising tide of illiberalism in our public schools. Public interest organizations s Pacific Legal Foundation are helping parents, students, and teachers fight for equality under the law and freedom of thought. People willing to fight for those traditional civil rights principles are needed now more than ever. As the Supreme Court noted in its landmark ruling in Brown v. Board of Education, "In the field of public education the doctrine of 'separate but equal' has no place." Too many progressive activists have not taken this lesson to heart.

Jack Brown (@jebrown300) is a constitutional law fellow and Ethan Blevins (@ethanwb) is an attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation, a nonprofit legal organization that defends Americans' individual liberty and constitutional rights.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
A radical model curriculum created by the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Consortium, an educational advisory group that promotes race-based curricula in K-12 education, is the latest example of woke teaching in California. The home page of the group's website emphasizes "lesson plans that center students in their self-identity" — based on race — and links to a YouTube video describing the sentence "I can expect my children to get a good education" as an example of white privilege.

Okay, time to cue up the usual nonsense:

"CRT isn't taught in schools!!!!!!"

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
Okay, time to cue up the usual nonsense:

More "opinion" trying to be spread as fact is in fact often nonsense. It needs to stop. There is nothing nefarious about lesson plans for brown students showing people that look like them. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 years ago

We had decades, to say the least, of children of color made to feel as lesser "others" in the nations schools. There are 80 year olds now that never had a comfortable moment in school , grammar school, high school, or college, unless they were in a school that was majority minority.  Yet we cant have white children feel even slightly uncomfortable without white conservatives being up in arms. 

Chill out, white folk, no one is harming your children. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 years ago

But it would be nefarious if some lesson plans asserted that White people were evil oppressors.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.3  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    2 years ago
But it would be nefarious if some lesson plans asserted that White people were evil oppressors.

We only have opinion from a guy looking from the outside with a political agenda telling us we should be afraid. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    2 years ago

“But it would be nefarious if some lesson plans asserted that White people were evil oppressors.”

Like teaching actual history? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago
Chill out, white folk, no one is harming your children. 

That doesn't make any sense. If white people aren't harmed by racism in school than no one else has been either. 

Either racism doesn't matter, or you are creating another generation of victims.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    2 years ago

It didnt "matter" for three hundred years, did it?   What is your rush to prevent a modernization of how we think about race? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    2 years ago
you are creating another generation of victims.  

Bazinga!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    2 years ago

Incredible strange and clueless comment.  Such comments are what cause educators to think they need "affirmative action" in schools. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.6    2 years ago
t didnt "matter" for three hundred years, did it?

So that justifies more racism? Never ending racism. That's your solution? 

What is your rush to prevent a modernization of how we think about race?

That's an odd argument from you, considering you advocate for a return to a 19th century approach to race. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.10  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    2 years ago

“If white people aren't harmed by racism in school than no one else has been either.”

The whitest possible of whitewashing statements. It would be a comical thought if it wasn’t so prevalent. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.9    2 years ago

What are they doing that is harming white kids?  

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.12    replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.11    2 years ago

A teacher telling a young undeveloped child they are part of a systemically racist system and are responsible for the failure of communities of color could be pretty traumatic I would imagine. I wouldn't know personally, thankfully I graduated before this was a thing. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 years ago
There is nothing nefarious about lesson plans for brown students showing people that look like them. 

I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  @1.1.12    2 years ago
I wouldn't know personally, thankfully I graduated before this was a thing. 

Me too, back when sanity prevailed!

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.16  afrayedknot  replied to  @1.1.12    2 years ago

“thankfully I graduated before this was a thing.”

And hopefully, if you were fortunate enough to continue your education, you were exposed to an actual representation of the historical facts…

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.17    replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.16    2 years ago

I chose to go to a technical institute that had courses designed for the career I wanted to go into. Courses focused on developing skills that were useful to future employers. Im glad I did that as i have already paid for this degree without having to beg politicians to take tax payer money to pay for it. Not once in my career has any kind of social justice issue came up for me to deal with.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.18  afrayedknot  replied to  @1.1.17    2 years ago

“Not once in my career has any kind of social justice issue came up for me to deal with.” 

Thank goodness. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.18    2 years ago

I believe many white conservative Christians want two main things when it comes to immigrants. First, they want to stop new immigrants from entering because they feel their 'white conservative Christian culture' is under threat.

Second, if they can't keep them out all together, they want immigrants to fully assimilate which means they should only speak English in public and try their best to 'act' like a white Christian conservative. That way no one has to talk about race, skin color, foreign cultures, acceptance, equality, equity etc. These white conservative Christians are so humble and magnanimous that they are willing to ignore a persons race and pretend to be colorblind as long as the 'others' keep their heads down, stay quiet and show their loyalty to white conservative Christians by praising them and trying to emulate them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.20  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.19    2 years ago
I believe many white conservative Christians want two main things when it comes to immigrants.

Happily, what you believe is different than reality.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.19    2 years ago
I believe many white conservative Christians want two main things when it comes to immigrants

How many of the immigrants are white Christians?

That way no one has to talk about race, skin color, foreign cultures, acceptance, equality, equity etc.

Of course that's harder to do if we are each speaking different languages, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Pashtun, Arabic, Hindu, Vietnamese, etc..

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.22    replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.20    2 years ago

Did anybody else think that post was super cringy? Like tell me youre a closet racist without telling me youre a closet racist.....

You know what it reminds me of? A 1960s southern democrat still trying to atone for his past 😂

Probably voted for Biden because he remembers his past position of not wanting his kids to grow up in a "racial jungle"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.4    2 years ago
“But it would be nefarious if some lesson plans asserted that White people were evil oppressors.” "Like teaching actual history?"

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Some folks have such a problem with the truth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.24  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.23    2 years ago
Some folks have such a problem with the truth.

Exactly--like the ones saying CRT isn't taught!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

trumpsters should send their kids to the thumper madrasas masquerading as colleges, where they won't be indoctrinated...  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 years ago

Leftists should send their kids to China so they can get sent to proper reeducation camps. Schools in the US are too soft.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 years ago
trumpsters should send their kids to the thumper madrasas masquerading as colleges, where they won't be indoctrinated... 

Can you seriously just not stop talking about Trump?

Get on topic or leave.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 years ago
trumpsters should send their kids to the thumper madrasas masquerading as colleges,

Bernie probably no longer favors the Russian education model since they converted from authoritarian communism to authoritarian capitalism.     

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.3  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
"CRT isn't taught in schools!!!!!!"

Uh huh....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1.3    2 years ago

The denialist has arrived, shouting to all that CRT isn't taught.

LMMFAO!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

CRT is not taught in schools K-12.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    2 years ago
CRT is not taught in schools K-12.

[deleted]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.4.2  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    2 years ago
In California, the Board of Education has approved the nation’s first statewide ethnic studies curriculum to teach public high school students about the oppression of people of color.

The Oregon Department of Education is training its K-12 teachers in “math equity” to combat “the toxic characteristics of white supremacy culture with respect to math.”

An elementary school in Philadelphia “forced fifth-grade students to celebrate ‘black communism’ and simulate a Black Power rally in honor of political radical Angela Davis.”

Public schools in Louisville, Kentucky, are hosting anti-bias and pro-equity teacher trainings to “eliminate curricular violence” in mathematics education.

Last fall, one Virginia school district spent $24,000 on Ibram Kendi books pushed as “required reading” for U.S. history classes.

A high school in Minnesota now begins all of its staff meetings with a commitment to dismantling “processes that benefit whiteness.”

In September, a high school in Washington canceled a 9/11 tribute because it could be seen as “racially insensitive.”

As of July 2020, a reported 4,500 schools across the nation have embedded the controversial New York Times 1619 Project curriculum into their classrooms.

It joins Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States,” often used as supplementary reading material in high school history classes that frames all of the nation’s history in CRT-inspired oppressor-oppressed rhetoric....

And on and on it goes. When pundits say “critical race theory” is not taught in schools, it’s true that there’s not an elective or a textbook labeled as such. But the concept and pedagogy is deeply embedded in our nation’s schools.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @1.4.2    2 years ago

That isn't CRT.  It's not being taught in schools K-12.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.4.3    2 years ago
[deleted]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.4.5  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @1.4.3    2 years ago
....The Association will further convey that in teaching these topics, it is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1.4.5    2 years ago

Yet another post proving that CRT IS being taught,

[deleted]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.4.7  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.6    2 years ago

The words might be too big or maybe it's the link to that extremist site. jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif   Perhaps if it was phrased in a rhyme?...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

I've actually heard these idiot claim they DON'T want segregation then push moronic crap like this.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    2 years ago

Same as Title IX supporters who are stupid enough to accept biological men participating in women’s sports.

Wack-a-doodle!

user image
Freshman Silent
4      2 years ago

That's fine as long as employers know it's a POC diploma and not a regular American one. Wouldn't want to mistake those graduates with ones who have knowledge of STEM or anything other than African oppression studies. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    2 years ago

Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum

1. cultivate empathy, community actualization, cultural perpetuity, self-worth, self-determination, and the holistic well-being of all participants, especially Native People/s and people of color;

2. celebrate and honor Native People/s of the land and communities of color by providing a space to share their stories of struggle and resistance, along with their intellectual and cultural wealth;

3. center and place high value on pre-colonial, ancestral, indigenous, diasporic, familial, and marginalized knowledge;

4. critique empire and its relationship to white supremacy, racism, patriarchy, cisheteropatriarchy, capitalism, ableism, anthropocentrism, and other forms of power and oppression at the intersections of our society;

​5. challenge imperialist/colonial hegemonic beliefs and practices on the ideological, institutional, interpersonal, and internalized levels;

6. connect ourselves to past and contemporary resistance movements that struggle for social justice on the global and local levels to ensure a truer democracy;

7. conceptualize, imagine, and build new possibilities for post-imperial life that promotes collective narratives of   transformative resistance, critical hope, and radical healing.

Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Consortium - LESMCC - Home

I can see why white right wing conservatives might be up in arms about this. How dare someone teach Native American children and children of color to celebrate their own heritage while critiquing and challenging the white Christian patriarchy and imperialist hegemonic beliefs and practices! /s

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1    replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    2 years ago

I can see why any logical person would have an issue with it. Every culture has done good things and bad things. Putting a magnifying glass on the bad of one and white washing the bad things of another is disingenuous and divisive. Beyond that high school is intended to prepare a child for adulthood. If you want to choose to be a social justice warrior for the rest of your life you can pay to do that in college all you want. Just dont turn around and ask for tax payer money to pay for that 100k degree that has no practical value to employers unless you want to be a liberal college professor or HR representative

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    2 years ago
Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum

Such a long drawn out way to say "CRT".

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2    2 years ago
Such a long drawn out way to say "CRT".

It's just another disingenuous code for the CRT or DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) that's taught in K-12. These agendas teach that "people of color" are oppressed and white people are the oppressors. MLK, Jr. would be furious.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.1    2 years ago
These agendas teach that "people of color" are oppressed and white people are the oppressors.

Not just white people, but capitalism is also a system of oppression.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.1    2 years ago

CRT is not taught in public schools K-12.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.3    2 years ago
[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.3    2 years ago
CRT is not taught in public schools K-12.

Hi, there, Tessylo. I've seen you make this identical comment numerous times, but when asked, you've never offered a shred of evidence that supports your claim. Once again, I am asking for your evidence.

Just a question ... who are you quoting 5.2.3

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.5    2 years ago
[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.6    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.7    2 years ago
[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.5    2 years ago

It's unfortunate it has to be repeated incessantly that CRT is not being taught in schools K-12.  I'll repeat it as often as necessary.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.9    2 years ago
I'll repeat it as often as necessary.  

Is that until you believe it?

Because you have been proven wrong about this on more than one occasion, and been provided with links you refuse to read.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.12  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.9    2 years ago
It's unfortunate it has to be repeated incessantly that CRT is not being taught in schools K-12.

He asked for proof, and as usual and he suspected, you provide nothing.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.9    2 years ago
It's unfortunate it has to be repeated incessantly that CRT is not being taught in schools K-12.  I'll repeat it as often as necessary.  

It's certainly your right to continue to try to nail Jell-o to a wall, even when there's a plethora of documented evidence to the contrary. I commend your enthusiam.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.14  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.11    2 years ago

deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.15  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.14    2 years ago

[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.16  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.14    2 years ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.15    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.18  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.17    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.29  seeder  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
I've never been proven wrong on this subject by you or anyone else.

Okay, you win.

THAT is the most galactically wrong statement posted here today.

Congrats, and here's a prize:

Here-Is-A-Cookie-For-Your.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.30  seeder  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
you can’t make it drink.

Or think.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.31  seeder  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
amazing.

I am sure when you think about it you will agree it really isn't amazing as much as expected at this point.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6  afrayedknot    2 years ago

“Just dont turn around and ask for tax payer money to pay for that 100k degree that has no practical value to employers unless you want to be a liberal college professor or HR representative.”

If someone offers up enough opinions, which are more than welcome, their motivations eventually become apparent…doesn’t take too long for some. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1    replied to  afrayedknot @6    2 years ago

My only motivation is to make sure American youth leaves grade schools with a quality education that allows them to enter adulthood as productive, self sufficient, tax payers. The motivation of progressives seems to be to turn grade schools into government funded morality indoctrination centers. That is not their purpose. That is what churches have done for centuries. Grade school should be a utilitarian place of learning void of any political partisanship or emotionally charged social issues. That is what college is for and that's why people pay for that out of their own pocket. Or at least they did before college loans were federally backed. Everyone is free to learn whatever they want in college just don't be surprised if there is no monetary value to your degree outside of whatever college you went to.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  @6.1    2 years ago

Who in the world decides what is emotionally charged social issues? You? So you think they should be well rounded yet somehow do this without them learning social studies.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.2    replied to  Ender @6.1.1    2 years ago
Here is the issue. You want a tax payer funded public school right? The problem is not everyone agrees on social issues but everyone has to pay taxes that fund public schools. That's why social issues should not be addressed in public schools. People who want kids to go to a school that teaches what they want send their kids to private schools and pay out of their own pockets. Why shouldn't progressives have to do that to? Christians do it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Ender  replied to  @6.1.2    2 years ago

What? So yes you want no social studies taught....SMH

So social studies can be taught at any private institution just not public ones...

The dumbing down of the country continues...

Christians are allowed to spew their dogma at their private institutions. Comparing the two is really a stretch.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @6.1.3    2 years ago
The dumbing down of the country continues...

Exactly, in comparison to other countries, our kids are very behind in math and science.  

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.4    2 years ago

Which has nothing to do with people wanting to do away with social studies.

If you are trying to say that those classes would take away from learning other things you might as well take away sports.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.6    replied to  Ender @6.1.5    2 years ago

Sports are not a divisive controversial issue

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Ender  replied to  @6.1.6    2 years ago

Neither was social studies until some people decided they don't want their children taught certain things.

If parents want to keep their kids in the dark, find another place.

I pay taxes just like you were complaining about and I would rather have them actually learn about the world and not stuck in some bubble.

By the way...what are these divisive issues you are referring to?

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.8    replied to  Ender @6.1.7    2 years ago

George floyd for example. Its a distraction from school work and like i said, you can pay extra to have your kids taught whatever you want.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @6.1.5    2 years ago
Which has nothing to do with people wanting to do away with social studies.

Who has recommended that?

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Ender  replied to  @6.1.8    2 years ago

If someone leaned about one thing, how is it a distraction from other things? You say social studies is a distraction, I say what about sports, when we all know that is a distraction. Then you pivot to well that is not divisive.

So which is it? You seem to believe both claims.

Where is a class taught about George Floyd? And if they are what are the circumstances? Was it during all the protests?

Sounds to me like you only want them to be taught what you personally think they should be.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.9    2 years ago

The guy I was conversive with admits it...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  @6.1.2    2 years ago
That's why social issues should not be addressed in public schools.

Dont all countries teach their students some form of social studies? History has been a subject in schools since schools began. The ancient Romans wrote histories of their country which have survived til today. 

What is your argument, other than you dont like having Americas questionable past on race relations (and other topics) brought up in schools? 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.12    2 years ago

That seems to be their major point. They only want taught what they want taught.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.14    replied to  Ender @6.1.13    2 years ago

Youre only okay with it because you know all schools are going to teach social issues from a progressive standpoint. If your kids were being taught by a conservative i bet you would have an issue with it. And George floyd isnt a class but if you dont think it hasnt been discussed in classrooms then you arent paying attention to the news

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.15    replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.12    2 years ago

Most countries dont have the diversity of culture that America does

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  @6.1.2    2 years ago

Private and christian schools are also receiving money that should only go to public schools.  What do you have to say about that spr?  I'm sure you have no problem with that.  Also, CRT is not being taught in school K-12.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Ender  replied to  @6.1.14    2 years ago

How in the world does true social studies come from any standpoint... So you have nothing to show of this progressive standpoint except to say people talked about Floyd. 

Which actually would be social studies as it was happening at the time.

So are you upset about the way it was supposedly framed or just how dare someone talk about current events in general...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.18  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.16    2 years ago
Private and christian schools are also receiving money that should only go to public schools.

Because YOU don't like the money going there? Too bad.

And no one ever says CRT isn't taught in schools truthfully.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.19    replied to  Ender @6.1.17    2 years ago

So if a teacher was telling kids in their social studies class that what the police did to george floyd was justified, you wouldnt have an issue with it?

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Ender  replied to  @6.1.19    2 years ago

I don't make up scenarios to fit a narrative.

If it is high school kids and they want to debate it, so be it.

Of course that wouldn't even be allowed these days.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.18    2 years ago

That money isn't supposed to go to those schools - IT'S FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS - private schools and 'religious' schools are paid for by their parents, as they should be.  I shouldn't have to pay for their education too.

CRT is not being taught in schools K-12 no matter how much some deny it.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  @6.1.8    2 years ago

At private and religious schools - WHICH WE TAXPAYERS SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FOOT THE BILL FOR.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.24  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.22    2 years ago
That money isn't supposed to go to those schools - IT'S FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS - private schools and 'religious' schools are paid for by their parents, as they should be.  I shouldn't have to pay for their education too.

Prove it for ONCE.

CRT is not being taught in schools K-12 no matter how much some deny it.  

Of course it is being taught, and in the past, you have been provided links proving it, but of course, you proudly don't read links.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.12    2 years ago
"That's why social issues should not be addressed in public schools."

What the huh?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.26  afrayedknot  replied to  @6.1.2    2 years ago

“That's why social issues should not be addressed in public schools.”

Oh my. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.27  afrayedknot  replied to  @6.1.19    2 years ago

“So if a teacher was telling kids in their social studies class that what the police did to george floyd was justified, you wouldnt have an issue with it?”

And conversely, if a student asked a question in a high school social studies class about the Floyd case, and the teacher was denied the opportunity to open a conversation (read teach), you ‘wouldn’t have an issue’ with that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @6    2 years ago

“Just dont turn around and ask for tax payer money to pay for that 100k degree that has no practical value to employers unless you want to be a liberal college professor or HR representative.”

I"f someone offers up enough opinions, which are more than welcome, their motivations eventually become apparent…doesn’t take too long for some."

Found in out in just two!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    2 years ago

I really suspect this is a solution in search of a problem. Is anyone really getting through the 12th grade without understand that white Europeans conquered the Americas, while enslaving Africans? Do they really get that far and not hear about racism? Do they really get through 12th grade without hearing about the Civil War, Jim Crow, and civil rights movements?

I mean if they are, then yeah, some changes need to be made, but I would expect this is not common. And the idea that this is something urgent for 6 year olds is a little silly.

user image
Freshman Silent
7.1    replied to  Tacos! @7    2 years ago

I know I did. The problem is that for most circullums these topics are bullet points as they should be. Progressives want whole classes/circullums built around these topics and if you try to say that is college level material you are simply a bigot and nothing else. They want to claim the moral high ground where i feel morality should have very little to do with subject matter. Of course discrimination should be against the rules of any school, but should have little to do with circullums content

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7    2 years ago

There are a lot of white parents who dont want their children, or any children, taught that America has been a historically racist country. I have seen parents interviewed that say that. 

One can talk somewhat generically about slavery without putting the onus for it (in America) on white people. There has never been a period in this country when there has not been a lot of racism against "people of color". I think our kids should know as much about it as possible so it can be eliminated in the future. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2    2 years ago
There are a lot of white parents who dont want their children, or any children, taught that America has been a historically racist country.

I don’t know how you study slavery, Jim Crow, and civil rights without reaching that conclusion on your own.