╌>

Dems fearing Trump's 'retribution' have themselves to blame

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 months ago  •  93 comments

By:   nypost (New York Post)

Dems fearing Trump's 'retribution' have themselves to blame
Democrats and their allies in the press are melting down at Donald Trump's talk of "retribution" through the legal system.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats and their allies in the press are melting down at Donald Trump's talk of "retribution" through the legal system.

They're the last people in the world who should talk.

As Trump has endured a criminal conviction, three other indictments and a huge civil-fraud judgment — all prosecuted by the Biden Justice Department and elected Democrats — he has spent months threatening to retaliate in kind: "I will be your retribution."

Some Trump allies have already started drawing up lists of Democrats to prosecute.

Joe Biden's campaign, without a shred of self-awareness, has warned that "convicted felon Donald Trump" is "raising plans to jail his political opponents" in "just the latest proof that he will do anything to…seek revenge on anyone who opposes him."

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe told CNN he's hearing from FBI employees who feel they may have to flee the country to avoid prosecution if Trump is elected.

In a post-conviction interview with Sean Hannity, Trump insisted, "I would have every right to go after them."

But he also sounded a newly conciliatory note.

"When Biden goes out and everyone says, 'Bye bye,' and then he gets indicted two days later — the country doesn't want that," Trump said. "I want to bring the country together."

He insisted that this was why he never followed through on his 2016 "lock her up" threats to prosecute Hillary Clinton.

Vindictive prosecutions on the part of a second Trump administration would be bad.

Worse would be abusing the legal system by bringing legally bogus cases, submitting false evidence, establishing secret surveillance, stretching the law in all manner of unprecedented directions and charging opponents for things that allies got away with.

All of that has already been done to Trump.

If he retaliates, Democrats will have nobody to blame but themselves.

If you're going to break longstanding norms and indict a former president, you should have the goods to show that he committed something everybody knows is a crime.

You should be able to point to a clear record of the law being used against both sides without fear or favor.

Democratic prosecutors have done the opposite.

Trump's New York conviction for lying to his own checkbook should never even have gone to trial.

Nobody had ever before been charged under state law for violating federal campaign laws, and prosecutors never even tried to prove the central element of the charge: that Trump created false business records with intent to use them to defraud someone.

There was no evidence that the private records were ever meant to see the light of day.

There was no victim in that case, just as there was no victim in Letitia James's civil-fraud case that smacked Trump with almost half a billion dollars in fines.

Trump was charged with the same thing Hillary's campaign did: taking campaign expenses and misrecording them as legal expenses.

Hillary got a modest fine, Trump got branded a felon.

Jack Smith's indictment of Trump in Washington, DC, charges him with a "conspiracy to defraud the United States" by his out-in-the-open scheme to get Congress to throw out Biden's electoral votes.

Never mind that the Supreme Court for a century has ruled that the conspiracy statute doesn't apply to elections or to open resistance to government action.

Trump's Justice Department never went after Hillary for mishandling national-security information through an insecure private email server.

Joe Biden has skated for sloppily stacking classified documents in his garage after being vice president.

But Trump got charged for the same crime.

The case in Georgia was such a political boondoggle, it's now been indefinitely suspended by the appeals court.

This has been going on for a while.

The FBI submitted bogus evidence, some of it produced by that same Hillary Clinton campaign operation, to get secret warrants to spy on Trump's campaign.

The Russiagate probe pursued the nonexistent crime of "collusion" even while Jim Comey was testifying under oath to Congress that Trump wasn't under investigation. That probe went on for two years.

It didn't start with Trump, either.

Democrats loved the independent counsel law and used it to torment the Reagan and Bush administrations — until it was turned against Bill Clinton.

Legally dubious convictions, later overturned on appeal, took down Republicans such as Rep. Tom DeLay and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (who was prosecuted by the same Jack Smith who's now pursuing Trump).

The most ridiculous was when Texas Gov. Rick Perry was indicted for using his powers as governor to try to get rid of a corrupt Democratic prosecutor.

I hope Democrats aren't given a taste of the medicine they've served to Trump.

But if they do, it's a potion of their own making.

Dan McLaughlin is a senior writer at National Review.Twitter: @BaseballCrank

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 months ago

They like to dish it out, but they fear it coming back on them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

the revenge and retribution solicitations for legal fees, I mean, former 'president's campaign continues

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

moron former 'president' (convicted felon on 34 counts) says 'When President Biden goes out and everyone says 'bye bye', and then he gets indicted two days later -  the country doesn't want that, - says the former 'president' (convicted felon on 34 counts), the convicted felon on 34 counts continues - 'I want to bring the country together'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

The former 'president' (convicted felon on 34 counts) insisted this why it never followed through on its' threats to convict her (plus the former 'president' convicted felon on 34 counts) said it never said LOCK HER UP regarding Hillary Clinton but says in this 'article' that it did

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    3 months ago

The way the moron former 'president' convicted felon on 34 counts talks/speaks is like an insane demented toddler with a rudimentary vocabulary

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    3 months ago

a felon convicted of white collar crimes represents the maga republican party perfectly.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    3 months ago

No, it’s more a blue collar Party now.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.2.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.3    3 months ago

“No, it’s more a blue collar Party now.”

No, it’s more of an aberration now…lacking any semblance of confidence in their leadership but somehow content in excusing them at every turn. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @1.2.4    3 months ago

the endless defense of the indefensible is insane

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago
Joe Biden has skated for sloppily stacking classified documents in his garage after being vice president. But Trump got charged for the same crime.

... a comment representing the epitome of willful ignorance.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @1.3    3 months ago

There is no defending Trump in reality so we routinely see people go to an alternate reality.   In this case the alternate reality ignores Trump’s obstruction and pretends all he did wrong was possession.

If Trump had returned the docs as both Biden and Pence did, he would not be facing any charges for holding classified docs.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.3.2  afrayedknot  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    3 months ago

“…so we routinely see people go to an alternate reality…”

On every subject, in every situation, the disclaimers are not only so often invalid but are consistently made worse in the fear and frustration of having nothing to say in any relevant context. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.3  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    3 months ago

If Trump had returned the docs as both Biden and Pence did, he would not be facing any charges for holding classified docs.

you can't harvest millions in campaign cash from gullible morons that way...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.4  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.2    3 months ago

blind partisanship and non-acceptance of reality now represents the maga republican's 2024 law and order platform.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.3.5  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @1.3.4    3 months ago

“…the maga republican's 2024 law and order platform.”

If only that was all it was. The revenge and retribution platform is what they are running on. Frightening in the implications, dangerous in the applications, unimaginable in any context. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.6  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    3 months ago

oops, looks like I forgot to quote you before the edit timed out. my apologies...

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.7  CB  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    3 months ago

MAGAs have been given facts time and time again. It's time to move on. Let them fester in their willfulness. There are matters and policies that are not being dealt with or put in place while we inefficiently deal with dead minds. Let them believe whatever lies they wish. I recommend we all move on to more and better fact-filled lives!

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.8  CB  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.5    3 months ago

Solution: Litigation Palooza. Since the government is open to waste and abuse again. . . let's see if we can overload the courts for the express purposes of helping the third branch of government come back to its damn senses.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.3.7    3 months ago

MAGAs have been given facts time and time again. It's time to move on....I recommend we all move on to a more and better fact-filled life!

When will you start doing that here?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.3.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @1.3.8    3 months ago
let's see if we can overload the courts for the express purposes of helping the third branch of government come back to its damn senses.

I am sure that is what the founding fathers had in mind.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.11  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.3.10    3 months ago

We're on our own in the 21st century, the founders are dead and gone. And, probably glad to be so looking at the shit MAGAs have started.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.3.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @1.3.11    3 months ago
We're on our own in the 21st century, the founders are dead and gone.

Suggesting the constitution should no longer be valid?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3.13  cjcold  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.3.12    3 months ago
Suggesting the constitution should no longer be valid?

The world is a very different place from when the constitution was drafted. For instance, women now have the vote and slavery is now outlawed. The founders likely avoided specifics in order to keep it a 'living' document.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @1.3.13    3 months ago
For instance, women now have the vote and slavery is now outlawed.

Yes, they are called Amendments.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

'Dem's fearing the former convicted felon on 34 counts 'president's' retribution and revenge campaign (fleecing his supporters for his legal fees) have themselves to blame'

Yes, look what we made the former 'president' convicted felon on 34 counts do.......

CB
Professor Principal
1.5  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

As I am fond of asking on occasion, I would like to know what MAGAs think liberals, following the rule of law,  will be doing while MAGAs are playing the law for a fool. At some point this government waste and abuse has to end! Until it does, I say if you can't beat them—join them. Start slinging "thousands" of lawsuits and flood the zones. . .if Donald wins and begins this shit: let's start "litigation palooza!"

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

employees who feel they may have to flee the country to avoid prosecution if Trump is elected.

odd admission

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 months ago

If they did nothing wrong, as were told by the mindless lemmings, then why would the feel the need to run like cowards?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    3 months ago

If they did nothing wrong, as were told by the mindless lemmings, then why would the feel the need to run like cowards?

I believe Trump has a history of going after democrats who have done nothing wrong.

sddefault.jpg

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    3 months ago

You beat me to it.

Leftists love to use that mantra. 

Seems that some in the FBI have a very guilty conscious. No self reflection needed from them as to why.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 months ago

Right.

Prove it. Name all of the Democrats he has had the FBI, CIA, IRS, and DOJ go after.

We can all wait for you scour the internet for what doesn't exist.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 months ago
I believe Trump has a history of going after democrats who have done nothing wrong

So you can't prove it, just want to blather on with fiction.  Not that I'm surprised.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 months ago

[]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 months ago

[]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    3 months ago
Prove it. Name all of the Democrats he has had the FBI, CIA, IRS, and DOJ go after.

Never claimed he did, just that he wanted to.  Damn the Constitution for blocking his ability to...

‘Where are all of the arrests?’: Trump demands Barr lock up his foes

Trump twice amplified supporters’ criticisms of Attorney General William Barr, including one featuring a meme calling on him to “arrest somebody!” He wondered aloud why his rivals, like President Barack Obama, Democratic nominee Joe Biden and former Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton hadn’t been imprisoned for launching a “coup” against his administration.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.4    3 months ago
So you can't prove it, just want to blather on with fiction.

See here

Documented and saved to the history books.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    3 months ago
Prove it.

List all the charges. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    3 months ago

Documented and saved to the history books.[]

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    3 months ago
Name all of the Democrats he has had the FBI, CIA, IRS, and DOJ go after.

Are you forgetting Hunter Biden? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.12  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.10    3 months ago
Removed for context

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @2.1.12    3 months ago
How many blue haired liberals do you think have served?

I don't have blue hair but.....

original

That's me in the t-shirt, and yes, that was in 1st Recon Bn. 

(You'll have to zoom in to see it, sorry! )

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.14  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.13    3 months ago

Well thank you for what you have done. The pictures look like around the 80s and things have changed dramatically since then.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @2.1.14    3 months ago
The pictures look like around the 80s and things have changed dramatically since then.

Was an honor to serve, you are welcome. The bottom pic...Nov. 11th...1988?....no 1989. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.16  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.15    3 months ago
The bottom pic...Nov. 11th...1988?....no 1989. 

I understand. About that time I was a young sailor out of the country for the first time. Japan and the Philippines were my first experiences. Because of that, dates elude me too.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    3 months ago

[]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.19  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.13    3 months ago

I had a draft card, burned it, and then they killed the draft so that I wouldn't have to risk being killed for the last rwnj traitor POTUS that violated the US constitution. kinda sad, completed all the entry tests, and I really wanted to fly a medivac...

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.21  JBB  replied to    3 months ago

Nixon was last.

Last for years...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.28  cjcold  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    3 months ago
run like cowards

Don't ask liberals. This is just another far right wing junk content article.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 months ago
Trump's Justice Department never went after Hillary for mishandling national-security information through an insecure private email server.

Joe Biden has skated for sloppily stacking classified documents in his garage after being vice president.

Because that's what dictator who want their opponent removed do.  

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 months ago

Because that's what dictator who want their opponent removed do.  

Trump has literally said he wants to be a dictator.. Nice try. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.1  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    3 months ago
Trump has literally said he wants to be a dictator.

How about posting the entire comment instead of pulling things from your netherlands.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    3 months ago

For 8 years you've all cried "Trumps a liar".  And suddenly now he's not a liar.  The hypocrisy you are spewing is hilarious.  And pathetically none of you understand it.

You can't point out a single instance of him going after Democrats, but we are seeing how Democrats are going after him.  And for what?  Beating them at their own game.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    3 months ago
How about posting the entire comment instead of pulling things from your netherlands.

how would you be able to recognize the difference?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    3 months ago

I believe Mr. Frost served and is an honorable and decent person.

I don't believe for one second certain others who say they do.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    3 months ago

did

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    3 months ago

"What difference does it make?"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.6    3 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.8  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.6    3 months ago

Spoken like a true Clintonite.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.9  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.2    3 months ago

If only life was so simply put—it is not. Have fun going after democrats. If MAGAs have facts against democrats go for it. . .if you defame someone or just want show trials. . . countersuits in courts will be flying. Maybe there is a waste and abuse government suit that can be filed too. We are either going to live together as one nation or we need to separate as ultimately its time to end this what we are now!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 months ago

What color is the sky in your world?  If Trump had returned the document when requested to, he also would not have been charged.  Instead he hid them and moved them around to try to prevent the documents from being found.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    3 months ago

What is even more important is why did Biden have classified documents in the first place. He never had the authorization in his 50 years milking the taxpayer teat.

I will tell you why...He stole them. There is no other answer.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.2  JBB  replied to  bugsy @3.2.1    3 months ago

Are you serious? President Biden was a US Senator for thirty years before serving two full terms as Vice President of the United States He pretty much always had legal access to classified documents! And, when asked to return any he had he promptly returned them! Unlike You Know Who!

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.2.3  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @3.2.1    3 months ago

“He stole them.”

Oh my, bugs…just when did you go off the rails?  

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.4  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @3.2.3    3 months ago

I have shown this to be true several times.

In order for him to see classified materials while he was a senator, he had to go to a SCIF to be able to view them. When you go to one of these places, you sign that you have taken possession of the documents and that you will return them when you are done. He obviously did not do that.

Scooter Libby is another example of  stealing from a SCIF, shoving classified info in his socks and underwear. Of course, because he also has a D next to his name, nothing happened to him either.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.5  bugsy  replied to  JBB @3.2.2    3 months ago

See 3.2.4 for the answers you seek.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    3 months ago

So that tired mantra.  It's not like he had them in his garage or a private emails.

Not that it matters.  Smith's team mishandled the classified materials resulting in tampering with evidence.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.7  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @3.2.4    3 months ago
Scooter Libby is another example of  stealing from a SCIF, shoving classified info in his socks and underwear. Of course, because he also has a D next to his name, nothing happened to him either.

are you sure you want to go with that dumb ass uninformed comment?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.8  JBB  replied to  bugsy @3.2.5    3 months ago

Scooter Libby? Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff? The Bush Whitehouse Guy? You have your ducks all out of their rows!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.9  JBB  replied to  bugsy @3.2.4    3 months ago

No, things mundane as a Vice President's daily schedule can also be classified. Only "Top Secret" documents are kept in a SCIF. Like what Trump still held onto...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @3.2.9    3 months ago

Only "Top Secret" documents are kept in a SCIF. Like what Trump still held onto...

Anyone with top secret documents in their possession that belong in an SCIF should be prosecuted. That would be a fair standard 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.2.9    3 months ago
No, things mundane as a Vice President's daily schedule can also be classified.

Perhaps VP Harris’ schedule is classified to avoid embarrassment.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.2.3    3 months ago

President Biden hasn't sold them to every Tom, Dick, and Ivan and spilled the beans on top secret classified information.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.13  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.11    3 months ago

Avoid embarrassment for that comment...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @3.2.13    3 months ago

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.2.13    3 months ago

You are the one that suggested its classification and lack of interest.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.16  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.15    3 months ago

Can't pull it off, huh?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.2.16    3 months ago

I don’t want to, I like it attached.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @3.2.16    3 months ago

Not a chance.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.19  CB  replied to  bugsy @3.2.1    3 months ago

Disinformation is some MAGAs thing.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.3  cjcold  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 months ago
insecure private email server.

Hillary's private server was never hacked.

The State Department's server was hacked by Putin.

Colin Powell also didn't trust State's server and used his own.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  cjcold @3.3    3 months ago

I never mentioned any of that.  Yet here you are on the defense.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5  MrFrost    3 months ago

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    3 months ago

Slap fight cleaned up at @2.1.  Knock it off, please.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    3 months ago

Thanks for all that you do.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 months ago

What a ''putz'' Trump is, ''I vill get even'' spoken like a true psychopath.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @7    3 months ago

Yup, psycho/socio every path you got - plus malignant narcissist, hateful petulant toddler thug bully

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  Kavika @7    3 months ago

As if liberals give a shit what a lying 'bag' wants and thinks.