╌>

Taylor Swift Harris Endorsement 'Likely,' Says Expert

Category:  News & Politics

By:  krishna  •  2 months ago  •  151 comments

Taylor Swift Harris Endorsement 'Likely,' Says Expert
"The trending hashtag #SwiftiesforHarris is a great sign for Kamala as we all know Taylor Swift fans know how to pull together and organize,"

Related:

1.  Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour Could Generate $4.6 Billion For Local Economies

2. Taylor Swift Fans Make the Ground Shake, Seismic Activity Detected During Concerts

3. . What Do Terrorists Have Against Taylor Swift Fans? Everything.

While Taylor Swift is yet to endorse anyone for the upcoming election, a PR expert has told   Newsweek   the singer is likely to throw her support behind Vice President Kamala Harris .

As Harris' showdown with former President   Donald Trump—the GOP nominee—dominates the news cycle, a host of Swifties have publicly declared their support for the Democrat, with some urging the singer to do the same.

Luana Ribeira, founder of   Dauntless PR, said the buzz surrounding Harris as a presidential candidate is palpable and clever social media posts and support from celebrities are crucial to creating this atmosphere of optimism and excitement. Ribeira believes that Swift's endorsement is imminent.

"The trending hashtag #SwiftiesforHarris is a great sign for Kamala as we all know Taylor Swift fans know how to pull together and organize," Ribeira told  Newsweek .

"Although Taylor Swift hasn't yet publicly voiced her support for Kamala, she backed the Biden-Harris campaign in 2020 so her endorsement is likely. The biggest advantage this will have is possibly getting people interested in the election who previously had no intention of voting.

"The key to success for Kamala is not to convert committed   Republicans, they won't vote for her no matter what she says and does. Her focus needs to be on encouraging people who typically don't vote to come and support her at the ballot boxes."

A   TikTok   account called   @Swifties4Kamala   launched soon after Biden backed Harris for the nomination. The account, which is not affiliated with Swift, describes itself as a "Coalition of Swifties mobilizing to get Dem candidates elected nationwide." At the time of writing, the account had 104,800 followers and more than 465,000 likes.

"Swifties for Harris is a coalition of Taylor Swift fans committed to protecting the United States of America's historical democracy by working together to help elect progressive candidates in local and national elections, including Vice President Kamala Harris for our country's next president," one of the posts on the account reads.

An X, formerly   Twitter, account and   Instagram   account with the same name were also launched. At the time of writing, the X account had 58,100 followers and the   Instagram account   had 37,600.

Ribeira explained that the reason celebrity endorsements are so important is because they are the ultimate brand people trust and recognize.

Red Box Rules

A "word to the (not so) wise: "Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt" jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  Sparty On    2 months ago

Will she endorse Harris?

Is a pigs ass pork?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @1    2 months ago
Will she endorse Harris? Is a pigs ass pork?

At first it seemed obvious she would. After all, she meets two criteria: she's childless-- and she certainly is one helluva cat lady!

But OTOH I'm not totally sure about #TaylorSwift stand on the crucial issues of the day. You know-- the things the voters really care about:

For example-- should Tampon dispensers be placed in the Boy's room? Did her running mate actually tell a lie some forty year's ago? Etc.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 months ago

lol ….. gentleman’s bet?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    2 months ago
gentleman’s bet?

Wow-- wait a minute!

Isn't gambling on NT a violation of the CoC? (it's been a while since I've read it-- will have to read it again!)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.3    2 months ago
It doesn’t take an actual violation here to ticketed.    Just an interpretation of one.

Isn't that the fact about (almost) anything? Judgement-- and variations in perception rule.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.4    2 months ago
Isn't that the fact about (almost) anything? Judgement-- and variations in perception rule.

Here's a story that deals with that sort of thing:

Three baseball umpires went out for a beer after the game. They were complaining (and rightfully so) about the abuse umpires get. Much of which says that they're are biased towards one team or another.

The first umpire says:

I'm totally fair--  I calls 'em as they are.

The second umpire says: 

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

The third umpire says:

I calls 'em as I think I sees 'em.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.6  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.3    2 months ago
Take it from a guy who has been suspended more this month than active.

I've always found it interesting how some people rerally don't care how often they get suspended-- while some other appeared to be really scared of the prospect of a suspension (even of a 1 day suspension!)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 months ago

I heard that Beyonce is in her corner as well.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1.1.6    2 months ago

[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 months ago
"...should Tampon dispensers be placed in the Boy's room? Did her running mate actually tell a lie some forty year's ago? Etc."

I don't know about those, but one thing i AM sure about is that nobody speaks for me and there is no way that I surround Harris. 

"... the buzz surrounding Harris as a presidential candidate is palpable..."

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.10  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.9    2 months ago
I don't know about those, but one thing i AM sure about is that nobody speaks for me and there is no way that I surround Harris. 
"... the buzz surrounding Harris as a presidential candidate is palpable..."

Could it be possible that they are referring to a different Buzz? (Do you have a twin brother?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.10    2 months ago

Well, when my mother gave me that nickname when I was 4 years old she was thinking of Teddy Roosevelt's grandson (great grandson?) but not about Buzz Aldrin or Buzz Lightyear.  It was during WW2 and she saw me running around the schoolyard with other kindergarten kids holding our arms straight out and making buzzing sounds imitating Spitfires.  The nickname stuck, used by all relatives and friends to this day.  I never knew another person who used that nickname.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.12  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.11    2 months ago
Well, when my mother gave me that nickname when I was 4 years old she was thinking of Teddy Roosevelt's grandson (great grandson?) but not about Buzz Aldrin or Buzz Lightyear.  It was during WW2 and she saw me running around the schoolyard with other kindergarten kids holding our arms straight out and making buzzing sounds imitating Spitfires.  The nickname stuck, used by all relatives and friends to this day.  I never knew another person who used that nickname.

Very interesting! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.13  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.12    2 months ago
Very interesting!

Whoops--- I almost forgot the soundtrack that goes with that:

Rowan & Martin's Laugh In   

Very Interesting  

Arte Johnson and Ruth Buzzi

(Apologies to Buzz-- I know you probably can't view what's on most of these links-- perhaps you can search for them on the search engine you use?)

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.11    2 months ago
I never knew another person who used that nickname.

"Buzz" was the nickname of someone I knew since kindergarten.  His real name was Bryan.  I don't know how he acquired the nickname.  He was a musician/entertainer.  He died a few years ago.  Way too young.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.13    2 months ago

It's okay I remember the Arte Johnson "Verrrry interesting" scenes very well.

28f461_b0df4e6c93b24603b861ceb184ea81a9~mv2.jpeg

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.16  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 months ago

To be fair, her running mate’s lies are recent via his bios on his governor page and on the Harris page. 
And he never corrected anyone when they referred to him as CMS even while he was a Congressman. Ask Pelosi. Hardly 40 years ago. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 months ago

Taylor doesn't even have to endorse Kamala and she probably won't.  Her remarks and her actions tell us that she is a Progressive/Liberal/Democrat and a billionaire.  She donates millions to the foodbanks where she performs.  She is a very altruistic and intelligent, talented, and, not that it matters, beautiful.  trump must hate her.

Also, her fans and their families I imagine lean Democrat as well.  It's definitely going to be a BLUE WAVE.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.18  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @1.1.16    2 months ago

Beat that fuggiung horse until it's dead again.

He was a CMS. He was a CMS in 2003 when they deployed to Italy and Turkie.

He was a CMS when they came home April 2004.  

He was a CMS sometime in late 2004 when he turned in his request to retire.

He was a CMS the last day he wore the uniform in May 2005.

He retired as a CMS according to the MNG.

He had 5 to 7 months to do the 750 hours of training he owed and chose not to knowing his benefits would be that of an E8.

It seems to me that only a few other non coms have their panties buched.

CMS Jalpin said he never would have approved the paperwork. Good thing it was out of his hands, anyone with their 20 in can retire at any time regardless of their enlistment contract.

CMS Behnard and the other knuckle head had to step up when Walz retired and said nothing for 12 years.

And he never corrected anyone when they referred to him as CMS even while he was a Congressman.

He was a CMS.

get over it already, what's he going to do explain 600-8-19 to everyone who addresses him as his last rank.

First rule.  Respect the rank.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.18    2 months ago

I don't know why some choose to continue with the lie about someone else's service.  Me thinks some doth protest way too much and defend the indefensible.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @1    2 months ago
"Is a pigs ass pork?"

That is not a Kosher comment, not even Halal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 months ago
That is not a Kosher comment, not even Halal.

Thanks for the reminder of those two terms jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

'll have to remember to use them the next time I'm wondering what to put in my RED BOX RULES!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.2.1    2 months ago

Good idea.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 months ago

Lol

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    2 months ago
Good idea.

Of course "Red Box Rules" have their function. But personally I sometimes find them boring and repetitive. So why not try to make them as entertaining as the other content here?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    2 months ago
Good idea.

New rule for my Red Box: All comments that are Treif or Haram may be deleted without warning! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.2.5    2 months ago

And how about ones that cause allergic reactions, like peanuts do for some people?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.7  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.6    2 months ago
And how about ones that cause allergic reactions, like peanuts do for some people?

Gotta luv Peanuts!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  author  Krishna    2 months ago

While  Taylor Swift  is yet to endorse anyone for the upcoming election, a PR expert has told      Newsweek      the singer is likely to throw her support behind Vice President  Kamala Harris  .

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.1  Thomas  replied to  Krishna @2    2 months ago
While    Taylor Swift    is yet to endorse anyone for the upcoming election, a PR expert has told            Newsweek            the singer is likely to throw her support behind Vice President    Kamala Harris    .

Why would she bother?? It seems like a lot of blowback would not be worth it. I mean, she is arguably more popular than both of them put together.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @2.1    2 months ago
Why would she bother??

Well there are some people who do have principles.

While some folks have big egos and only care about themselves, there are others who do care about their own life-- but also care about other people-- even society as a whole!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    2 months ago
While some folks have big egos and only care about themselves,

Heck-- strange as it may seem, in some future time there might even be someone like that would run for president!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @2.1    2 months ago
Why would she bother?? It seems like a lot of blowback would not be worth it. I mean, she is arguably more popular than both of them put together.

People are different.

For some folks, what you just described might make sense-- they're already so popular (and so rich!) that they wouldn't bother to comment on politics.

OTOH, there are some people with different values-- perhaps it was the way their parents brought them up. Or maybe it developed later in life . . .

But their values go beyond their Ego-- and they do genuinely care for other people-- even for what's good for society as a whole!!!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Thomas @2.1    2 months ago
Why would she bother??

There really is no need.   Her Swifties will take care of that.   Hard to imagine that any Taylor Swift fan would think she would ever vote for Trump but easy to see her voting for Harris.   I do not see how an endorsement would make that much of a difference.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.4    2 months ago
 I do not see how an endorsement would make that much of a difference.

I think you're right-- an endorsement by Swift might not be important in changing over any Trump voters to Harris voters.

But here's what it might do: for her fans who aren't interested in politics (and perhaps never vote at all)-- it might motivate them to go to the polls!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.4    2 months ago

What would your response be if she endorses Trump?

Highly unlikely but anything is a possibilty.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.6    2 months ago

If Taylor Swift endorsed Trump my reaction would be the same as for anyone who supports Trump.   It is not as if we do not have plenty of examples of people supporting this scoundrel.   You know my position.

What would be more interesting than my reaction would be the reaction of the Swifties.   I think their heads would explode.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.8  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    2 months ago

One of the terms leftists need to come to terms with is acceptance. Most of them have zero tolerance for anybody else’s opinion, especially in politics. 
If Swift decides to give her support to Trump, then the left, many of those her fan base, and many who absolutely hate Trump, but can’t define why except he puts out mean tweets, will have to accept her opinion. 
Sadly, I fear they will not and go into perpetual tantrum mode. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    2 months ago

Taylor Swift would never endorse Trump, of course.  She's too intelligent and she doesn't think America is a third world shithole like Trump does.

One of the things right wing reactionaries need to do is come to terms with reality, but that's just not going to happen.  Most of them have zero tolerance for anybody else's opinion about anything, in politics or otherwise.  They prove that daily.  That's a product of the fact that so many of them are as ignorant as they are arrogant.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.11  bugsy  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.10    2 months ago

Most of them have zero tolerance for anybody else's opinion about anything, in politics or otherwise

That is the most hilarious thing I have heard in a very long tine. 
When was the last time you saw conservatives burn buildings, loot stores, kill others and take over college campuses all because of their racism and most importantly, their feelings were hurt?

It’s never easy to 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.10    2 months ago

The PD&D+delusion and hypocrisy are today's gop/maga/magacult

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    2 months ago

No way in hell does Taylor Swift endorse that traitor.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.14  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.11    2 months ago
When was the last time you saw conservatives burn buildings, loot stores, kill others and take over college campuses all because of their racism and most importantly, their feelings were hurt?

Good grief man:

• GOP members (at least Trump supporters) engage in an insurrection when their cult leader cannot accept a defeat and insists the USA electoral system is rigged.
  • Mass bigotry and violence with the 2017 "Unite the Right" march.
  • Attempt to kidnap Governor Whitmer
  • Cliven Bundy standoff
  • Bombing abortion clinics
  • Shooting at the Sikh Temple 

Some people resort to violence; this is true across ideology, party affiliation, race, geography, etc.   Trying to paint those who do not meet your definition of 'conservative' as violent and pretend that your specially defined group is so much better is naive.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Gsquared  replied to  bugsy @2.1.11    2 months ago
That is the most hilarious thing I have heard in a very long tine [sic]".

Then you need to get out more.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.10    2 months ago

That's it right there - a new word was coined regarding the cult and maga- agnorance.  So true.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.17  author  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @2.1.6    2 months ago
What would your response be if she endorses Trump?

What would your response be if she endorses Putin?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.1.17    2 months ago

Shocked.

Always figured she was smarter than that.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.19  author  Krishna  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.15    2 months ago
Then you need to get out more.

Aw c'mon-- I don't think Bugsy is the type of person who would actually burn buildings when he goes out!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.20  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @2.1.17    2 months ago

Then I would agree she is a full blown liberal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.21  author  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @2.1.6    2 months ago
What would your response be if she endorses Trump? Highly unlikely but anything is a possibilty.

Well, what should our response be if she priases Hilter--or Stalin?

(Also highly unlikely of course...)

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.22  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @2.1.21    2 months ago

I don’t know. Maybe you would praise her for doing so, maybe you wouldn’t. 
I’m not a mind reader

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    2 months ago

Maybe Trump should steal one of her songs for his rallies - he's already been sued by other musicians for that. 

Here's some that would be fitting for the purpose:

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

Fresh Out of the Slammer

False God

I Knew Youi Were Trouble

Bad Blood

Illicit Affairs

I Did Something Bad

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    2 months ago
Here's some that would be fitting for the purpose:

How about "Sympathy for the Devil"

That one was written by The Rolling Stones (when they came back from their trips to gather Moss).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.1    2 months ago

How about Johnny Cash's 'In the Jailhouse Now'?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  author  Krishna    2 months ago

As Harris' showdown with former President   Donald Trump—the GOP nominee—dominates the news cycle, a host of Swifties have publicly declared their support for the Democrat, with some urging the singer to do the same.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  author  Krishna    2 months ago

Luana Ribeira, founder of   Dauntless PR, said the buzz surrounding Harris as a presidential candidate is palpable and clever social media posts and support from celebrities are crucial to creating this atmosphere of optimism and excitement. Ribeira believes that Swift's endorsement is imminent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5  author  Krishna    2 months ago

BTW, many thanks to all who comment here. I'm trying to take a page out of Buzz' most excellent movies quizzes-- trying to keep this article on the front page. (So unless a comment is extremely nasty, my intention is to be rather lax in moderation-- especially re: "Off topic" comments. 

So please-- comment away!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5    2 months ago

Try and stop me.   LOL

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    2 months ago
Try and stop me.   LOL

I looked over most of the clues. I think I know most of them. I will submit them tomorrow.

(That comment has absolutely nothing to do with the topic here-- But I was just trying to take inspiration from your movies quizzes, and slyly trying to help keep this article on the front page. Heh :-)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5    2 months ago

By the way, it's the "likes" or "votes up" of the article at the top left of it that count the most in keeping your article on the Front (Home) Page.  As I'm typing this, your article has 6.

However, I think it is arrogantly egotistical to vote up seeds and one's own articles and comments one posts, and I don't do it. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    2 months ago
By the way, it's the "likes" or "votes up" of the article at the top left of it that count the most in keeping your article on the Front (Home) Page.  As I'm typing this, your article has 6.

That's what I had thought. But on your movie quizzes it seems there are often people making comments and saying they want to help keep it on the front page, eh?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    2 months ago

My movie games have not been movie quizzes for some time.  Now it's not necessary to have seen the movie or even know the story in order to get a perfect score - the game is more related to a treasure hunt than to a quiz.  You should try it sometime - you might enjoy the distraction, fun and mental exercise that it is considered by the participants. Most members here are not interested in such benefits, but get their kicks from arguing politics and insulting other members.  I have not posted one for a while due to the impossible competition with American politics these days, but I'll let you know when I get around to posting one. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

No stone is to be left unturned.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago

Your boy is getting desperate Vic...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    2 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    2 months ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    2 months ago

Due to my age my eyesight is failing, and I have to use a magnifying glass from time to time to read what someone posts.  However, with respect to your comment, I'm sorry but I don't have a microscope.  It is the reason I increase the font of my own comments from 12 point to 14 point, so I can read them over to check my spelling, grammar, typos, etc. before posting them, and even then some escape detection.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.3    2 months ago
It is the reason I increase the font of my own comments from 12 point to 14 point, so I can read them over to check my spelling, grammar, typos, etc. before posting them, and even then some escape detection

My vast psychic powers tell me you are using a PC (Windows) cmptr not a MAC. So hold down the Ctrl key then keep hitting the + sign to enlarge entire page.

To decrease the font size you are viewing, hold down the Ctrl key and keep hitting the - key (Its on the key to the left of the +)

Of course when you enlarge the page too much you won't be able to see the entire page.

HTH

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.1.4    2 months ago

I should have remembered that - I think TiG told me to do that when I was having a related problem before.  What I had been doing was copy the comment, paste it on a word document and enlarge it.  But using the + and - keys is easier.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.6  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.5    2 months ago
I think TiG told me to do that when I was having a related problem before. 

I also mentioned that -- but it was a while back so you may have forgotten.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.1.6    2 months ago

Funny thing is that I can remember things all the way back to when I was 2 years old, but when it comes to something as recent as 5 minutes ago...  My most poignant experience with that is when I told my wife I couldn't find my glasses and she pointed out that I was wearing them.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.8  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.7    2 months ago
Funny thing is that I can remember things all the way back to when I was 2 years old, but when it comes to something as recent as 5 minutes ago...  My most poignant experience with that is when I told my wife I couldn't find my glasses and she pointed out that I was wearing them.  

As people get older their short term memory can fade. But what I've always found interesting that happens much less with long term memory. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago

Good advice!

(Especially if you're running a political campaign).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago

That's probably because we don't want them to gather no moss?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.3    2 months ago

Didn't you mean "gather moss" rather than "gather no moss"?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.3.1    2 months ago
Didn't you mean "gather moss" rather than "gather no moss"?

I suppose grammatically "we don't want them" and "gather no Moss" would be considered incorrect. (a "Double Negative").

An error grammatically-- but perhaps interesting "styilistically" I like to occasionally break the rules (for example I like to often split infinitives).

Sometimes it can be very "attention getting"-- which can be useful in certain situations in a discussion on social media.

And then, of course, I do have a mischievous streak.....

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.3.2    2 months ago
An error grammatically-- but perhaps interesting "styilistically" I like to occasionally break the rules (for example I like to often split infinitives).

IIRC we were brought up in an era where is was almost a sin to split an infinitive. From some of the things I've been reading, for a while now it appears in many circles its considered OK (to split infinitives).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.3.2    2 months ago
Sometimes it can be very "attention getting"-- which can be useful in certain situations in a discussion on social media. And then, of course, I do have a mischievous streak....

Although I was actually referring to the saying:

A rolling stone gathers no Moss

Of course the opposite might be

A rolling stone gathers Moss

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.3.2    2 months ago
"And then, of course, I do have a mischievous streak....."

You're the best when it comes to that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.3.3    2 months ago

I've often split infinitives notwithstanding I even intentionally majored in English to thankfully receive my B.A.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
6.3.7  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.3.6    2 months ago
I even intentionally majored in English

believe it or not, I did not, but somehow on occasion get a point across

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.8  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.3.5    2 months ago
"And then, of course, I do have a mischievous streak....."
You're the best when it comes to that.

Its an ENTP thing!

(Click or double click to enlarge image)

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.9  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.3.8    2 months ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.3.9    2 months ago

LOL  I enjoyed reading some of the comments from back then. Someone called me a crochety old geezer and I agreed with him.  That was seven years ago and I'm I much more crochety old geezer now.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago

Speaking of The Stones, this is one on my favourite videos! I know its off-topic, so I hope it doesn't annoy people too much. (Watch 'till the end):

Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones - Baby Please Don't Go - Live At Checkerboard Lounge

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago
"No stone is to be left unturned."

You never know what could be revealed.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5    2 months ago
You never know what could be revealed.

Isn't it obvious? 

When the stone is actually finally turned, what is revealed is...a growth of Moss!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.5.1    2 months ago

A rolling stone can be other things besides the obvious, such as a musician or a news medium, or a description of a person who cannot settle down. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    2 months ago

I wish she would hurry and make an endorsement so I know who to vote for.  /s

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7    2 months ago
I wish she would hurry and make an endorsement so I know who to vote for.  /s

I myself never decide who to vote for before I read comments from the experts on NT!  jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @7.1    2 months ago
"I myself never decide who to vote for before I read comments from the experts on NT!"  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7    2 months ago

Lol

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    2 months ago

I doubt the vast majority of her fans are not old enough to vote or have any interest in politics.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @8    2 months ago
I doubt the vast majority of her fans are not old enough to vote or have any interest in politics.

Perhaps.

How often to you use Zoom?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8.1    2 months ago

Or TikTok.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    2 months ago
Or TikTok.

Especially Tik Tok!

When I first discovered it I spent a lot of time watching it-- trying to figure out what was going on. Now I no longer watch it. 

I used to watch IGM a lot-- to keep in touch with younger friends. But rarely look at that anymore.

Still use Zoom a fair amount-- for regular meetings of groups I belong to, occasionally I take a course so use Zoom for that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    2 months ago

Taking into consideration that there are SO MANY TikTok users of all political bents who enjoy using that app, and many who even make a living using it, since the Democratic government has indicated that it will be banned in America, I think Bytedance should refuse to sell it, and if Trump should promise that he will not allow it to be banned, or will reinstate it if it is, he could get the voting support he's looking for. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.3    2 months ago
Taking into consideration that there are SO MANY TikTok users of all political bents who enjoy using that app, and many who even make a living using it, since the Democratic government has indicated that it will be banned in America, I think Bytedance should refuse to sell it, and if Trump should promise that he will not allow it to be banned, or will reinstate it if it is, he could get the voting support he's looking for.

"Been there, done that":

In March 2024, Trump reversed his position on banning TikTok, and began advocating against banning the app. Trump argued that while the app's national security and data privacy concerns should still be addressed, banning TikTok would empower  Facebook , which he labeled the "enemy of the people." [ 83 ]

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8.1.4    2 months ago

Actually when I read that my first though was about what he did re: Bitcoin!

Bitcoin has been controversial. But he had never mentioned before (as far as I remember). Suddenly he came out strongly in favour of it!

Bitcoin has some strong detractors as well as some strong (extreme supporters. (For some its almost like a religion!!!) It was obvious he could care less about Bitcoin either way-- but that this was merely a ploy to get a new group of supporters!

(He even went to a Bitcoin convention where he got a very friendly reception!)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.3    2 months ago

WHAT?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.6    2 months ago

Well, Tess, in my opinion the ultraparanoid "Yellow Peril" fraidy-cat Democrats need to know that banning what half the American Public enjoy could be a big mistake.  Why is it so fucking necessary for Americans to create an enemy when it's a rare occasion that they don't have one?  Is it in order to make sure a strong military is maintained or just to scare the rest of the world that it can be its bogeyman?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.7    2 months ago

I don't think TikTok is going to be banned.  I don't keep up with it much but I do use it now and then and will post and share them on Facebook.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.7    2 months ago

That's a new one on me 'the ultraparanoid 'yellow peril' fraidy-cat Democrats'

I think you're making a big to do about something I don't see happening

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.8    2 months ago

Well, if it's just a bluff on the part of the administration I hope ByteDance calls their bluff.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.9    2 months ago

Then you're not aware of all the roadblocks America is throwing in the path of China's advancement, including recruiting other nations and trying to convince them to contain China - such unbelievable paranoia on the part of America that it thinks China might actually surpass it to become the number one nation in the world.  

Do you know Bob Dylan's song, The Times They Are A-Changin'?  I'll amend one of its verses.

Come you 'Merican government that rules all this land,

Don't hinder or ban what you can't understand

A different big nation is matching your command

And your concept of being first is aging

So partner instead of confront, lend a hand

For the times they are a-changin'.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.11    2 months ago

Again, I don't see it, despite all your protestations 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.13  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.7    2 months ago
Why is it so fucking necessary for Americans to create an enemy when it's a rare occasion that they don't have one?

Actually I'm thinking that if any American politician did advocate banning Tik-Tok-- they would make enemies. But I not thinking of the Chinese but rather the younger cohorts in the U.S. (I think that's Gen Z but I don't remember the label)-- say those in their 20s! Most of them love Tik Tok, in many cases its their favourite site!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8.1.13    2 months ago

And many make their living by using it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.12    2 months ago
"Again, I don't see it, despite all your protestations "

how-long-goes-it-take-to-adjust-to-new-glasses.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.16  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.14    2 months ago

Yes, a lot of people(many still in their 20s) make large amounts of money on Tik Tok.  Some of them also post tutorials on how to produce content that is the most lucrative. (I watched one— it was amazing!)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8.1.16    2 months ago

Are they worried about the Chinese Bogeyman destroying America?

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.18  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8.1.4    one month ago
Trump argued that while the app's national security and data privacy concerns should still be addressed, banning TikTok would empower  Facebook , which he labeled the "enemy of the people." [ 83 ]

Enemy of The People?

Trump;s jargon as of late seems to be sounding more and more like Stalinist slogans!

(Why?)+

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @8    2 months ago

You might be surprised. Here's an article from what happened not so long ago:

More than 35,000 people register to vote after Taylor Swift post

Taylor Swift   called out to fans to register on National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday and Swifties answered in droves. 

Swift posted an Instagram story directing her 272 million followers to Vote.org, a nonprofit organization that offers voter registration services. 

"Are you registered to vote yet?" Swift wrote. "I've been so lucky to see so many of you guys at my US shows recently. I've heard you raise your voices, and I know how powerful they are. Make sure you're ready to use them in our elections this year!"

How successful was Swift's message?

Vote.org averaged  13,000 users every half hour   after Swift's post, Nick Morrow, the website's communications director posted on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter. 

"Let's just say her reputation for being a mastermind is very well-earned," Morrow said. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8.2    2 months ago
You might be surprised. Here's an article from what happened not so long ago: More than 35,000 people register to vote after Taylor Swift post

Undoubtedly some are not old enough to vote. But many are-- and are greatly influenced by #TaylorSwift!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8.2.1    2 months ago

Undoubtedly some are not old enough to vote. But many are-- and are greatly influenced by #TaylorSwift!

There's a relatively (new?) word for people like her. (I've been coming across it a lot on various social media platforms).-- she can be called "an influencer"!

Influencer

One who exerts influence : a person who inspires or guides the actions of others

The old theme of laziness and mellowness runs counter to today's influencers, who are businesspeople and upscale inspirational promoters of a go-getter way of life.—John C. Dvorak

Often, specifically : a person who is able to generate interest in something (such as a consumer product) by posting about it on social media

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @8.2    2 months ago

Excellent Krishna - I was going to point out that she most likely encourages her fans, those old enough of course, to register to vote and to vote, if they had not done so already.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.3    2 months ago
Excellent Krishna - I was going to point out that she most likely encourages her fans, those old enough of course, to register to vote and to vote, if they had not done so already.  

Most of her friends are pretty young--- but many are over 18.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @8    2 months ago

That's so funny.  I lol'd at that

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @8    2 months ago

Just the opposite apparently.

According to a survey from March 2023 among U.S. Taylor Swift fans, also called 'Swifties', the largest share of Swift fans were in the group of millenials. The second largest share was within the group of baby boomers, followed by Gen X.
  • Generation X is anyone born from 1965 to 1980.
  • Baby boomers are anyone born from 1946 to 1964.
  • Millennials are anyone born from 1981 to 1996.
  • Generation Z is anyone born from 1997 to 2012.

So it looks like the vast majority, at least 90%, are well positioned to vote except the Gen Zs' born after 2006

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.4.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @8.4    one month ago

she's a marketing genius and my gut feeling is that she's got something big up her sleeve...

evilone
Professor Guide
8.5  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @8    2 months ago

From a simple internet search:

While 45 per cent of Swift's US fans are millennials — like the 34-year-old herself — 21 per cent are Gen X and 25 per cent are Boomers, according to a 2023 survey. That means nearly half of her millions of fans are likely over 45

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.5.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @8.5    2 months ago

she's definitely a cultural icon that crosses over a lot of lines. I'm not a big fan of pop music, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did something that would cause significant damage to the trump campaign before the election. she is a unifying force to young women and her tour is making positive social change in the cities she appears, as well as boosting their local economies. my own personal observation was 2 latinas at my favorite breakfast burrito place sporting their swifty gear after her appearance in denver, and a female acquaintance willing to pay any price for tickets to attend any era's tour date in the US for her daughter and herself. IMO there would be no commercial downside for swift to endorse the harris/walz ticket.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.5.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @8.5.1    2 months ago

I predict taylor swift will do something politically epic in the next 30 days...

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.5.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @8.5.2    2 months ago

... especially with trump taunting her now.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.6  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @8    one month ago

I doubt the vast majority of her fans are not old enough to vote or have any interest in politics .

#DakotaJohnson Shows You How to Make a Taylor Swift Joke:

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    2 months ago

The endorsement would not be that interesting, although many entertainers do shy away from that sort of thing for fear of alienating fans.

What could make a difference would be if she actually encouraged people to go out and vote - possibly by talking about it at her shows or doing ads.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 months ago
The endorsement would not be that interesting, although many entertainers do shy away from that sort of thing for fear of alienating fans.

I had thought of that. But I think many are not that political-- and they worship her!

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  author  Krishna    2 months ago

And she is tremendously popular with her fans-- so much so that (even without politics) she impacts the world.

For example:  

Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour Could Generate $4.6 Billion For Local Economies

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @10    2 months ago
And she is tremendously popular with her fans-- so much so that (even without politics) she impacts the world.

For example:  

Another example: 

Taylor Swift Fans Make the Ground Shake, Seismic Activity Detected During Concerts | THR News

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @10    2 months ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.3  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @10    2 months ago

Anyone who votes for a candidate, simply because someone like Taylor Swift endorses them, isn’t intellectually qualified to vote.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.3.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @10.3    2 months ago
Anyone who votes for a candidate, simply because someone like Taylor Swift endorses them, isn’t intellectually qualified to vote.

Well, we do have laws in this country. (And of course also lawbreakers).

But while there are legal qualifications in order to vote, intelligence is not one of them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.3.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @10.3.1    2 months ago
Well, we do have laws in this country. (And of course also lawbreakers). But while there are legal qualifications in order to vote, intelligence is not one of them.

Or, let me fix that. A more accurate way to put that would be:

But while there are legal qualifications in order to vote, your judgement of a person's intelligence is not one of them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.3.3  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @10.3.1    2 months ago

Oh I understand.    I used to ask my union staff who they were voting for.    The most common answer I got?     

Whoever the union tells me to.    

Generally speaking, these were intelligent individuals, except when it came to things like this.    No individual evaluation at all.    It’s an interesting duality to say the least.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.3.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @10.3.3    2 months ago
 No individual evaluation at all.  

Sounds like an assumption on your part.

Perhaps many of them did try to evaluate the situation on their own-- but they felt that while the issues were very important, and the outcomes would greatly effect their lives,  they weren't sure which candidate would be most effective at making the gov't move toward toward their position (the union position).

And that in your position you might have the opportunity to know more facts about the candidates. that they didn't.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.3.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @10.3    2 months ago

Actually if you re-read the above comments, there was another issue raised. And that is for many of them the issue wasn't who they would vote fore-- but rather if they should vote at all. (Taylor Swift has already, fairly recently IIRC, told them the election was important ant that they should register and vote. (In that instance she did not tell them who to vote fore-- just that they should vote)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @10.3.1    2 months ago

Taylor Swift has more intelligence than those who are doubting her fans' intelligence and I'm sure her fans as well.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @10.3.5    2 months ago

EXACTLY, we know who Taylor and her fans will vote for (those who are of age) and Taylor didn't even have to say who that is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3.8  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @10.3.2    2 months ago

EXCELLENT!

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.3.9  author  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @10.3.6    2 months ago
Taylor Swift has more intelligence than those who are doubting her fans' intelligence and I'm sure her fans as well

To further elaborate on one of the things we've been discussing:

She has urged her fans to vote but has not endorsed any candidate.  But if, for any reason she doesn't want to endorse any specific candidate she doesn't have to. 

All she has to do is to take a stand on any important issue (without saying anything about any candidate).

On an issue that's probably important to a lot of young woman (as well as other groups as well of course).

Say, for example, (to pick an issue at random) the abortion issue. Swift can discuss how bad the current situation is, and how important it is to do what we can to change the situation for the better-- especially by voting for any candidates that might have enlightened views on the subject. 

(But of course not mentioning any candidates' names-- and not asking them to vote for or against) any specific candidate)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

"The key to success for Kamala is not to convert committed   Republicans, they won't vote for her no matter what she says and does. Her focus needs to be on encouraging people who typically don't vote to come and support her at the ballot boxes."

You mean there are people who would cast a vote for a Presidential candidate simply because a performer endorses a candidate?

That is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11    2 months ago

Committed is right or need to be.  .  .

What performer has endorsed Kamala?

I see you have no problem with kid rock, ted shits his pants nugent, or hulk hogan.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @11    2 months ago
You mean there are people who would cast a vote for a Presidential candidate simply because a performer endorses a candidate?That is about as stupid as stupid gets.

IIs it any more stupid when someone buys a brand of toothpaste-- or even when someone buys a particular brand of car-- or when a star athlete recommends buying a particular brand of soft drink and they buy lots of it?

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @11    2 months ago
You mean there are people who would cast a vote for a Presidential candidate simply because a performer endorses a candidate?

How about people who would cast a vote for a Presidential candidate simply because someone on NT endorses a candidate?

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @11    2 months ago
That is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Nope.

In actual fact, its less stupid than its gets!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12  Freefaller    2 months ago

Lol I just can't understand this fascination people have with the opinions of musicians, actors and atheletes.  I mean it's not like their celebrity status gives any special insight into the political landscape

Krishna
Professor Expert
12.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @12    2 months ago
Lol I just can't understand this fascination people have with the opinions of musicians, actors and atheletes.  I mean it's not like their celebrity status gives any special insight into the political landscape

I've always felt the same way. 

And I used to be much more judgemental of people...

Although more and more I've come to realize that people are different. Many people have very different values than I do, and different opinions. 

Actually I used to let that upset me.

Krishna
Professor Expert
12.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @12.1    one month ago
Although more and more I've come to realize that people are different. Many people have very different values than I do, and different opinions.  Actually I used to let that upset me.

Now I usually just laugh at some of the nuttier one-- and occasionally (just for fun!) decide to mick thempublically.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Freefaller @12    one month ago

Never in my life have I ever bought a product or service because a celebrity endorsed it.  And I would apply that to politics too. Although it was tempting to switch to Trump when Kid Rock and Chachi endorsed him. /s

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2    one month ago

the GOP is now the party of has beens, thumpers, and felons...