╌>

Tribe seeks return of artifacts taken from abandoned Alaska village

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  larry-crehore  •  10 years ago  •  8 comments

Tribe seeks return of artifacts taken from abandoned Alaska village

ANT030602.jpg?itok=H5c3iyJa A prominent Southeast Alaska cultural leader says that Yale University's museum that has held onto a pair of Tlingit carvings taken from an abandoned village more than a century ago should voluntarily return the items instead of waiting for tribal officials to make a formal request. Courtesy Yale University

An East Coast museum that houses a pair of Tlingit carvings taken from an abandoned village more than a century ago should voluntarily return the items instead of waiting for tribal officials to make a formal request, said a prominent cultural leader from Southeast Alaska.

At issue are a pair of large wooden crests on display at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University. The relics, includinga bird that was part of a shamans grave-site, once adorned totem poles, museum officials said.

The carvings received attention this week after a Yale student, as part of a research paper, argued that theywere stolen by the Harriman expedition in 1899 and that the museum shouldreturn them, according to the New Haven Independent . The expedition was part of a two-month scientific survey of coastal Alaska organized by a railroad magnate. After the trip, scientists on the steamship distributeditems they'd collectedto universities and other institutions, which is how Yale Peabody acquired the carvings.

Rosita Worl, president of the Sealaska Heritage Institute , agrees with the argument presented by the student, who is not Alaska Native. Worlsaid the artifactswere removed from the old village of Cape Fox by members of the expedition after the village had been abandoned following an epidemic, perhaps the flu. Villagers believed the deaths were caused by witchcraft and had relocated, she said.

This is really a violation, she said of the original removal. We dont run into other peoples graves and take their objects.

If the museum wants to do what is ethically and morally right, it will return the objects without a repatriation claim filed under federal law, she said.

Full Article : http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20140419/tribe-seeks-return-artifacts-taken-abandoned-alaska-village

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Larry Crehore    10 years ago

The thing that caught my attention is that this was brought about by a student (non-native-Alaskan):

"The carvings received attention this week after a Yale student, as part of a research paper, argued that theywere stolen by the Harriman expedition in 1899 and that the museum shouldreturn them."

The public may be slow to awaken to the truth about how the government has treated the Native Americans and what can be done to at least try to make reparations to them, but at least this student shows us that progress while not as fast as some of us would like it to be is still being made. It has to start with the single mind then grow from there.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

I was impressed as well with the student. The number of artifacts that are being held by schools, museums and private collectors is mind boggling.

Good for the student.

Tsula
Freshman Silent
link   Tsula    10 years ago

With great respect here, Larry, and having some familiarity with the Yale hierarchy, admittedly many years ago now, this will probably fall under the category of: Don't hold your breath! Nice catch by the student, though, and I hope that I am wrong.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    10 years ago

I agree Tsula. (don't hold your breath) Kudos to the student!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    10 years ago
An inquiry letter to Yale asking if the student's assertion is correct, one signed by as many individuals as possible is in order. A non-response after a reasonable time period has passed should be followed by a formal petition that speaks of a possible museum boycott and social media discussions.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Sue them under NAGPRA. I'm willing to be Yale doesn't have any of the artifacts on their inventories, as required by law. If they were, then repatriation would've been started a long time ago.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    10 years ago

I commented some time ago that the majority of Americans have no idea of the truth of the history of US involving Indians, nor of the truth of their situation today; that the Tribes would be surprised at how manypeoplewould stand with them if they knew, and would rally to support their efforts.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Just out of curiosity, returned to WHERE? It the artifacts were to be returned and installed in a proper museum so they could be displayed and be available for study I would agree with it, but if they are just going to be distributed and lost then what's the purpose?