I SAW THIS Pic

By:  Veronica  •  Generic  •  2 weeks ago  •  39 comments

I SAW THIS Pic
"Try A Little Kindness"

It got me thinking of an old song sung by Glen Campbell:

If you see your brother standing by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he's sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way
Just stop and say, you're going the wrong way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Don't walk around the down and out
Lend a helping hand instead of doubt
And the kindness that you show every day
Will help someone along their way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Source:  LyricFind

Songwriters: Bobby Austin / Curt Sapaugh

I think the Golden Rule is needed now more than ever.  Just think what a little thinking of others first, thinking before speaking, or thinking before acting could do.  I am tired of the back biting, the insult flinging...  I feel done.

Find text within the comments Find

1  author  Veronica    2 weeks ago

At least try.

1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @1    2 weeks ago

You're a nice person

1.1.1  author  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    2 weeks ago

Thank you.

MrFrost
2  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Paid for an elderly ladies groceries last week. No reason, she was behind me in the checkout line. She didn't have a lot of stuff, maybe 10 items. I think she reminded me of my mother, may she RIP.

2.1  author  Veronica  replied to  MrFrost @2    2 weeks ago

That is a wonderful thing to do.  A few years ago we lost power on one side of our street.  One of our neighbors brought us a pizza.  The following year it was the other side of the street that was without power and we took soup and stew to the three families across the street from us.

Greg Jones
3  Greg Jones    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

3.1  author  Veronica  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 weeks ago

SIgh

Greg Jones
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Veronica @3.1    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
4  Sparty On    2 weeks ago

Great advice for all of us but especially for some of the clearly very, very angry people here.

They must be hurting big time!

4.1  author  Veronica  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 weeks ago

I see not only anger, but fear. I see a lot of angry people at my workplace.  The saddest thing for me is that I see it begin to affect me.  I begin to feel anger in return.  I have been doing more rituals and meditation to have the anger dissipate, because it began affecting my home life.

I resolve daily to try and diffuse anger around me, but as a flawed human being I do lose patience and my temper.  Then I begin again.

Greg Jones
4.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Veronica @4.1    2 weeks ago

There is a certain mostly political tone to this site. If one does not adhere to it or embrace it, then one is called out and demeaned for having different views and opinions.

After several years on the dearly departed Newsvine, I enjoy the back and forth that goes on here...but too often it gets personal...sometimes I even go too far. The mods can't or won't control it.

It's not your job to diffuse others anger, but to let it bounce off of you...you have to detach. If it is directed at you, then that is another matter that needs to be resolved.

Sparty On
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Veronica @4.1    2 weeks ago

A noble goal!   We are all flawed and could regularly use some forgiveness.

Hopefully we can all give as good as we get in such cases.

4.1.3  author  Veronica  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

I think it is all of our jobs to try to make the world a better place.

4.1.4  author  Veronica  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    2 weeks ago

Some days it is really hard & I do struggle with it, but I hope that I will do better the next day.

I try to be helpful to those around me - whether it is a woman in the cafeteria line that forgot her wallet and couldn't pay for her & her son's lunches ( I swiped my card for her), the older person that needs a hand with things or my niece who needs support when her daughter is back in the hospital.  I figure if I am able to help I should.

Sparty On
4.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Veronica @4.1.4    2 weeks ago

You seem like a kind soul ..... i bet you do well most days.

Keep it up, you will make a difference.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

4.1.6  author  Veronica  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.5    2 weeks ago

Thank you..

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

Pay it forward is cool ! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Although:

"Unseasonable kindness gets no thanks."   -  Thomas Fuller

We're only Human !

"THANKS" ..... and Have a wonderful day Veronica. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

5.1  author  Veronica  replied to  It Is ME @5    2 weeks ago

You, too.

Kathleen
6  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

A little kindness can go a long way. I raked of my neighbors yard yesterday. They are both in their 70’s so I know it’s hard for them. That’s about all so far.. lol

I guess sometimes you have to open your heart.

6.1  author  Veronica  replied to  Kathleen @6    2 weeks ago
I guess sometimes you have to open your heart.

Even though sometimes you can get burnt.  I have discovered though if I am truly helpful I feel better whether I get a thank you or not.

7  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago

I saw an elderly lady in the store parking lot one day and she had some heavy grocery bags. It hurt my heart to see her lug these groceries on foot. So....I stopped and asked her if she needed a ride. She looked at me a little strangely but here I am a middle-aged lady in an SUV, I guess I didn't look like I was going to hit her in the head and take her groceries. Anyway, turned she was only going a few blocks, but those few blocks can be tedious especially if you're carrying 3 bags of groceries. I felt good when I let her out at her home.

7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    2 weeks ago

You're a good egg!

7.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    2 weeks ago

thanks

7.1.2  author  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    2 weeks ago

Hard boiled????

7.2  author  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    2 weeks ago

That was awesome.

7.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @7.2    2 weeks ago

Like you, I try. :)

Split Personality
8  Split Personality    2 weeks ago

I married an angel.

Everywhere we go she finds something nice to say to someone whether they are waiting in line, shopping, serving tables in a restaurant

or cashing out at Trader Joe's.

I can't think of one time where anyone wasn't appreciative and every once in a while there are actually heartfelt tears and hugs.

It's kind of amazing and yes, it does rub off, even if I or her sister don't admit it.jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @8    2 weeks ago

What a lovely thing to say.

8.2  author  Veronica  replied to  Split Personality @8    2 weeks ago

She sounds amazing.

9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

Even small acts of kindness can make a big difference. It's the one thing that I made sure my daughters took to heart.

r.t..b...
9.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    2 weeks ago
It's the one thing that I made sure my daughters took to heart.

Good on you, Perrie. The same for my two sons. While we tried to instill a sense of caring for others and a grateful appreciation for all the advantages they enjoy, to see it come to life in the selfless manner in which they lead their lives is my greatest joy as a father. It is a comfort to know that they have good hearts, as everything else is immaterial.

9.1.1  author  Veronica  replied to  r.t..b... @9.1    2 weeks ago

It is wonderful & heartwarming for me to see my children do things to ease the life & minds of others.

r.t..b...
9.1.2  r.t..b...  replied to  Veronica @9.1.1    2 weeks ago

Isn't that the truth. My eldest lives in L.A., my youngest in Brooklyn. Two areas where so many are struggling just to make it through the day. Whenever we visit and enjoy a meal together, they always order a simple meal with utensils to go and find the nearest homeless person to give it to. Sadly, we never had to search for long...just a simple gesture, done without fanfare, now a practice that my wife and I have adopted... it costs us nothing in the big picture, but may make one lonely soul feel just a little bit better, even if only to fill an empty stomach.

9.1.3  author  Veronica  replied to  r.t..b... @9.1.2    2 weeks ago
find the nearest homeless person to give it to

My daughter & son were running errands & had just gone past a homeless man.  My daughter drove around the block went through the McDs drive through & stopped in the street while my son ran the food to the guy.  He was very grateful.  She often picks up soup at our local Wegmans & takes to people on the street.

And that is the point of living (to me anyways).  To try to ease someone's life just a little.

9.2  author  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    2 weeks ago

I taught my children that as well.  When my son was young (8 to 9th grade) he and his best friend had a huge disagreement.  They didn't speak for months.  When school began and my son went to the cafeteria for lunch with hos friends he saw the boy sitting by himself.  He went over with his friends and sat with him because he told me the boy looked so alone.  That little piece of kindness went a long way and 13 years later they are still best of friends.

r.t..b...
9.2.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Veronica @9.2    2 weeks ago
That little piece of kindness

You never know the impression it will make.

To separate oneself from the concerns of the day (and they are myriad) and be able to look past our self-serving interests in empathy for others (whose issues are usually more dire than our own), is the definition of character.

Empathy is the key, so often disregarded and even disparaged on the political front, but there are so many selfless acts that go unnoticed every second of every day, and that is where hope for our future lies, not in specious partisan promises.

Hey, let's all do something nice today!

9.2.2  author  Veronica  replied to  r.t..b... @9.2.1    2 weeks ago
Hey, let's all do something nice today!

Yeah, Let's.

cobaltblue
10  cobaltblue    2 weeks ago

What a lovely article! We need this now more than ever. Cyberhugs all the way around!! Veronica, you're the best ...

10.1  author  Veronica  replied to  cobaltblue @10    2 weeks ago

Thanks....you are a wonderful person, yourself.  Hugs back to you.