Lions & Tigers & Bears … Nah! Watersnakes & Poison Ivy on Three Day Weekend

By:  A. Macarthur  •  5 months ago  •  118 comments

Lions & Tigers & Bears … Nah! Watersnakes & Poison Ivy on Three Day Weekend

Leave a comment to auto-join group 2022~ The CREATIVE ARTS GROUP ON THE NEWSTALKERS

2022~ The CREATIVE ARTS GROUP ON THE NEWSTALKERS

Summertime finds more folks out in nature than at other times of the year, but, many lack knowledge of potentially harmful plants and animals other than the obvious ones they might encounter, and, so, naturally would try to avoid. Here are two examples that might get noticed too late.

original

They're not venomous, but they will bite aggressively, so, when at the lake, if near the water's edge, watch where you put your hands.

This critter was photographed during a successful fishing hunt. Northern Watersnake

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

If you're not familiar with POISON IVY, you should be aware it grows in several forms, as vines, or, as rooted plants.

And while not every plant with clusters of 3 leaves is poison ivy, when in doubt, the rule of thumb is, "Leaves of three, let it be."

© A. Mac/A.G.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [A. Macarthur]

A. Macarthur
1  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

First-things-first. Check the article at the link below.

1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    5 months ago

Scary stuff this week from you! I'm keeping your ivy pic for reference.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
1.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 months ago

Good idea, when I was a young boy , playing in the woods I felt the call of nature.  Remember that Native Americans used leaves I decided to follow that example.  I had a rough two weeks that summer.

1.2  Dig  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    5 months ago

Great shot of the snake eating the fish. It looks a little big for him.

A. Macarthur
1.2.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dig @1.2    5 months ago

The snake's head “walks” forward in a side-to-side motion over the prey's body. In snakes, the lower bones of the jaw, or mandibles, are not connected like they are in mammals.

1.2.2  Dig  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.2.1    5 months ago

I knew snakes could do that, but I still thought it looked kind of big. I suppose they know what they're doing though, lol.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.2.1    5 months ago

went rattlesnake hunting, after my friend had gotten his license, right near Pennsylvania Grand Canyon near Wellsboro Pa, i believe. Amazing how many are right off well traveled trails. We had gathered up 5, within twenty minutes, only one was mature and large enuff to be a keeper. Talk up herding cats, they were all attempting to slither away in every direction. Very cool. I had caught my share of snakes in the past, but gathering this many venomous snakes up together, and then containing them with a homemade snake stick, was just plain cool

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.2.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dig @1.2.2    5 months ago

i've seen one that did bite off more than he could swallow, and he had to go seek smaller prey

2  Buzz of the Orient    5 months ago
"Technically, "poison ivy" is not poisonous, rather, a plant whose resins affect individuals who are allergic to them."

It most likely would not have gained its reputation unless most people ARE allergic to it.

Snakes never concerned me when I was a little kid - I used to bring them home, but I do think a 215 lb Burmese python would trouble me.

2.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 months ago

Sorry, I can't stand snakes.

3  Buzz of the Orient    5 months ago

Keeping with my intention of posting photos I took up to a half a century ago with my favourite camera, a Canon F1 35mm film SLR, with the films processed and the photos enlarged in my home darkroom, this photo, also seen before, is called "Tracks".   The story to the photo is that up the street from my grandfather's dry goods store was a park on which is located one of the city's original settler's mansions, which became known as Dundurn Castle, located on raised grounds below which were the marshalling yards for the TH&B (Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo) Railway.  I would walk there from my grandfather's store to sit up on the hill and watch the trains shunting below.  In the late 1970s I went back there (a 40 mile drive from Toronto on the Queen Elizabeth Highway) to sit on that same hill behind the castle and took this photo to be a permanent memory of a childhood passtime.

3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 months ago

Super photo, Buzz.

3.2  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 months ago

Cool, Buzz. Reminds me of old photos of the Kansas City railyards.

4  Raven Wing    5 months ago

A Shaman performing a Ritual for Thursday....

4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @4    5 months ago

The image ignites with fiery energy.

4.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 months ago

Thank you, Buzz. Very glad you like it.

evilgenius
5  evilgenius    5 months ago

We made our annual pilgrimage to Betty's Pies on Wednesday after work. Stopped at the Two Harbors breakwall to walk the dog a bit. It was quite warm and very windy next to Lake Superior.

5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilgenius @5    5 months ago

Superior photos.

Just Jim NC TttH
PhD Principal
5.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 months ago

I see what you did there LOL

5.2  Raven Wing  replied to  evilgenius @5    5 months ago

Great photos, EG. They look very refreshing and enjoyable.

devangelical
5.3  devangelical  replied to  evilgenius @5    5 months ago

I've got a friend on the opposite shore now that's riding the trans canadian trail from toronto to vancouver. we're calling it the unofficial tim horton's tour.

evilgenius
5.3.1  evilgenius  replied to  devangelical @5.3    5 months ago

Nice! Mrs Evil wants to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour one of these days.

devangelical
5.3.2  devangelical  replied to  evilgenius @5.3.1    5 months ago

bike riding stopped being fun when I got a paper route in the 60's.

6  Raven Wing    5 months ago

A new one for Friday...

A Tribal spiritual leader performing a sacred ritual

6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @6    5 months ago

A little of Dali, a little of Picasso and a lot of Raven Wing - very interesting.

6.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    5 months ago

Thank you very much, Buzz.

7  Kavika     5 months ago

Setting sun sitting on a roof. Stone Creek, Ocala FL.

7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    5 months ago

My oh my, what a very impressive sunset, Kavika. Great timing as well, showing the sun resting all comfy on the house roof top.  Awesome!

7.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @7    5 months ago

You get 3 "F"s for that Foto - Fabulous, Fantastic and Far Out.

Gsquared
Senior Expert
8  Gsquared    5 months ago

A Study for a Stained Glass Window

© G. Gam

8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @8    5 months ago

Wow! Talk about your psychedelic imagination.....that's a great one! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared

Mesmerizing.

Gsquared
Senior Expert
8.3.1  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.3    5 months ago

Cool.

8.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gsquared @8    5 months ago

Well done G. It looks like what you set out to achieve!

Gsquared
Senior Expert
8.4.1  Gsquared  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.4    5 months ago

Thanks, Perrie.

devangelical
8.5  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @8    5 months ago

looks like winter of 1974. 2 tabs of chocolate mescaline and 3 bong hits of columbian to take the edge off.

Gsquared
Senior Expert
8.5.1  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @8.5    5 months ago

I think it looks like medieval France, possibly inside the cathedrals at Chartres or Rouen, or Notre Dame, with a modern twist, of course.

9  Kavika     5 months ago

A. Macarthur
9.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @9    5 months ago

A Monarch Butterfly caterpillar … a hopeful sign since much Monarch habitat has been destroyed in recent years and the butterflies have been scarce (up north in places).

9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur @9.1    5 months ago

Sadly that is true, Mac. There are many areas that are now establishing Monarch Butterfly habitats.

9.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @9.1    5 months ago

I read recently, and thankfully, that they are rebounding in Mexico.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
9.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    5 months ago

Even years ago when I lived in Monterey CA, there was a wonderful, large sanctuary in Pacific Grove.  In the late Fall, they would cluster on the Eucalyptus trees then move to the pines and in early Spring, the cypress trees.

9.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @9    5 months ago

I don't think I have seen a caterpillar in years.

devangelical
9.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @9.2    5 months ago

meh, I've got anatomy I haven't seen in decades...

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
9.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @9.2.1    5 months ago

It keeps life interesting, doesn’t it?

9.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @9.2    5 months ago
"I don't think I have seen a caterpillar in years."

Here you go, Ender, enjoy!

full_size_img.axd

9.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @9    5 months ago
"Hello hoomans, just having a bit of lunch and would appreciate not being disturbed."

Okay, as long as you're not eating MY lunch.

10  Raven Wing    5 months ago

A Shaman greets an early morning sunrise.......

10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @10    5 months ago

Very nice, very colourful.

10.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    5 months ago

Thanks Buzz.

11  Kavika     5 months ago

Old Glory facing the incoming storm yesterday. Stone Creek, Ocala FL.

11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @11    5 months ago

Great use of contrast.

11.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @11    5 months ago

A great photo, Kavika.

11.3  Dig  replied to  Kavika @11    5 months ago

Storm clouds and the flag, very apropos for this week.

11.4  Ender  replied to  Kavika @11    5 months ago

We finally had some rain yesterday. I think it has been about a month. Not much rain and a heat wave with 100 temps.

12  Dig    5 months ago

A hummingbird, a box turtle, and an overzoomed fox squirrel chowing down on mulberries.

original

original

original

original

original

A. Macarthur
12.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dig @12    5 months ago

Good wildlife grouping!

12.1.1  Dig  replied to  A. Macarthur @12.1    5 months ago

Thanks, Mac.

12.2  Ender  replied to  Dig @12    5 months ago

They have their eyes on you...

12.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Dig @12    5 months ago

A very enjoyable series of photos, Dig. Nature at it's daily life.

12.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @12    5 months ago

You could entitle the 4th photo "Here's lookin' at you, kid".

A. Macarthur
13  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

I love the deep woods … a most spiritual setting.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

13.1  Dig  replied to  A. Macarthur @13    5 months ago

Serenity.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
13.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  A. Macarthur @13    5 months ago

I miss my time in the woods. Used to, literally live in them by choice, on weekends. Wherever i rolled off my quad, in the early mornings, i would lay my head. i may have to visit them, very soon.

13.3  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @13    5 months ago

Indeed a very Spiritual setting, Mac. I love the mixture of aromas of the various blossoms of the different trees and plants of the forest floor. I had the pleasure of just sitting quietly in the forests of the Shenandoah Mountains in No. Virginia and listening to the sounds and sights surrounding me. It is the homeland of my Maternal Cherokee ancestors., so it also had a very special meaning for me.

13.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @13    5 months ago

...if only it wasn't for those damn mosquitoes.

14  Dig    5 months ago

Oh, hey A. Mac, I almost forgot. I don't know how often you visit the main page, but I posted a video there this week and you may not have seen it. I caught some wren chicks fledging from a birdhouse and managed to record the whole thing.

A. Macarthur
14.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dig @14    5 months ago

Way back … c. 1964, when working towards my degree in biology, I did a project for an ornithology course. I won't go into specifics, rather, I'll state that I WISH I HAD PRESENTED SOMETHING AS HIGH QUALITY AS YOUR VIDEO, outstandingly representative of a specific aspect of the life cycle of a particular bird species!

Well done!

14.1.1  Dig  replied to  A. Macarthur @14.1    5 months ago

Hey, thanks. I was hoping you'd enjoy that. I got really lucky with the timing. I have chicks in another birdhouse that are getting ready to fledge, but of course I can't watch it all the time, so unless I get lucky again I'll probably miss the action from that one. I've already missed one entirely this year.

14.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Dig @14    5 months ago

An excellent video, Dig. I really enjoyed seeing the chicks getting up their courage to take their first flight into the new world around them.

Thank you so much for sharing these nature videos with us.

14.2.1  Dig  replied to  Raven Wing @14.2    5 months ago

Thanks. Most of the fun in making them is showing them to people.

14.2.2  Ender  replied to  Dig @14.2.1    5 months ago

I love all your pics and vids Dig.

I haven't been posting any because I really haven't been going anywhere, so nothing new.

I think it is even too hot for the birds around here right now.

14.2.3  Dig  replied to  Ender @14.2.2    5 months ago

I hear you. It's 99 in the shade here right now. It's too damn early for that. My poor garden. Supposed to get some relief tomorrow, though.

Gsquared
Senior Expert
14.2.4  Gsquared  replied to  Dig @14.2.3    5 months ago

It's been over 100 here for the last 4 days, and we are on watering restrictions.  My garden is not happy.

14.2.5  Dig  replied to  Gsquared @14.2.4    5 months ago

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have water issues. I've got a pretty good aquifer system under me.

I'm starting to worry about the water situation out west, though, and I don't even live there.

14.2.6  Ender  replied to  Dig @14.2.5    5 months ago

We get plenty of muddy waters.   Haha

14.2.7  Ender  replied to  Ender @14.2.6    5 months ago

Gsquared
Senior Expert
14.2.8  Gsquared  replied to  Dig @14.2.5    5 months ago

You are very lucky.  We have to rely on irrigation systems.  We can only use our sprinklers twice a week for 8 minutes for each station.  The leaves of our lavenders and sages are turning yellow.  We did not have a single iris this year.  I hope things survive.  We don't have a lawn.  I live on a hill and took out the small grass areas we had years ago.  Some of our neighbors have lawns and they are turning brown.

14.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @14    5 months ago

That was an absolutely fabulous video, a virtual lesson in nature.

15  Raven Wing    5 months ago

And another one for Saturday....this one goes back a ways;

15.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @15    5 months ago

Another winner - keep going back.  One should not be satisfied with only one look at great creative art.

15.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.1    5 months ago

Thank you for your very kind words, Buzz. I have made changes over time to my techniques, framing, choice of backgrounds and such, but, I still have a warm place for my early beginnings. And there are some here now who may not have seen them, so I like to revisit the early ones now and then. And there is still so much to learn from them as well that can help me continue to grow.

A. Macarthur
15.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Raven Wing @15    5 months ago

Beautiful and Caravaggiesque as well. Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, known as simply Caravaggio, was an Italian painter active in Rome for most of his artistic life.

original

15.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @15.2    5 months ago

A very interesting image, Mac.

16  Ender    5 months ago

This was from a couple of years ago. It was taken on the 4th of July. We parked on the beach.

16.1  Ender  replied to  Ender @16    5 months ago

My fireworks vid is on this site somewhere. I need to see if I can find it.

16.1.1  Ender  replied to  Ender @16.1    5 months ago

Found it. Full discloser, this was not 4th of July, was New Years Eve.

Probably should wait for next week.   Haha

16.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @16.1.1    5 months ago

How about we'll just consider it a preview of good things to come.

A. Macarthur
16.1.5  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Ender @16.1.1    5 months ago

Got a bang out of that.

16.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @16    5 months ago

That's an excellent photo, Ender.  It has depth and motion (the wind bending the fronds).

17  Raven Wing    5 months ago

It's Sunday, so let's dance.....

17.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @17    5 months ago

Another good one to grace the weekend Creative Arts group pages.

17.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @17.1    5 months ago

Thank you very much, Buzz.

18  Ender    5 months ago

I am going to adopt a new symbol.

See if anyone knows what it is...

devangelical
18.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @18    5 months ago

it adapted a "45" record to fit on the spindle of an LP turntable. damn I'm old...

18.1.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @18.1    5 months ago

Lies I tell you. It is a secret society.

charger 383
Professor Quiet
18.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Ender @18.1.1    5 months ago

I still have a couple of them

18.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @18.1    5 months ago
"damn I'm old..."

YOU'RE old?  Never mind the 45s, I go back to the 78s and having to change the needle when it got dull, and listening to the record of Positively Mr. Gallagher Absolutely Mr. Shean at my grandmother's home.

devangelical
18.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Ender @18.1.1    5 months ago

it does look a little like one of those new neo-nazi emblems.

Professor Principal
18.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @18.1.3    5 months ago

s-l400.jpg

20  Kavika     5 months ago

End of the weekend. Sunset Stone Creek, Ocala, FL.

20.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @20    5 months ago

Another beauty, Kavika. The 4 levels of colors of the sky and clouds, and their reflection of the water beneath them, tells a very unique story.

Great shot!

evilgenius
20.2  evilgenius  replied to  Kavika @20    5 months ago

Real beautiful shot! Prefect lighting.

sandy-2021492
21  sandy-2021492    5 months ago

Meta cleanup in thread @18.1

devangelical
21.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @21    5 months ago

oops

A. Macarthur
22  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

Thanks to all; will lock it down in an hour or so.

devangelical
22.1  devangelical  replied to  A. Macarthur @22    5 months ago

thanks again, amac!

22.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @22.1    5 months ago

Indeed.....jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

A. Macarthur
23  author  A. Macarthur    5 months ago

See everyone Thursday night!