╌>

A Challenge: Can you properly identify this weapon

Category:  Other

Via:  larry-crehore  •  12 years ago  •  26 comments

A Challenge: Can you properly identify this weapon

Here is an exercise that will illuminate the basic problem with trying to argue this issue:

I challenge anyone except Bruce to properly Identify this weapon:

9241_discussions.jpg

I'll post the answer

I'll post the answer later tonight.

This is also posted on Bruce Tarleton's article:

OH THE HORROR! We should ban cutlery! People don't need knives!: Suspect arrested in LA homeless stabbings.

The Correct Answer is:

Colt AR-15 Rifle Specifications

Gun Colt AR-15 Manufacturer Colt

MSRP $1,500 Firearm Type Rifle

Ballistics .223

Magazine /Capacity10 rounds

Rifling 1 in 7 twist or 1 in 9 twist

Iron Sites

Single Shot (There are two other configurations both are for Police and Military use.)

1. Modified for a three round burst per trigger pull
  2. Modified for full assault mode fully automatic empties the Magazine on a single trigger pull

And guess what they all look identical to the single shot. That is why the media gets it wrong they dont know what they are talking about.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Larry ,

You forgot to include the image ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Yeah , I saw that too . It must be one of those new "stealth" guns ...

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Larry Crehore    12 years ago

The correct answer is on Bruce's article:

OH THE HORROR! We should ban cutlery! People don't need knives!: Su...

Page 3

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

I'm not sure why it is showing as a brief flash but you are right it is a good demonstration of how quickly one has to identify the threat against them. I posted the correct answer on Bruce's article I put a link to it below.

The Correct Answer

Colt AR-15 Rifle Specifications

Gun Colt AR-15 Manufacturer Colt

MSRP$1,500 Firearm Type Rifle

Ballistics .223

Magazine /Capacity10 rounds

Rifling 1 in 7 twist or 1 in 9 twist

Iron Sites

Single Shot (There are two other configurations)

1. Modified for a three round burst per trigger pull
  2. Modified for full assault mode fully automatic empties the Magazine on a single trigger pull

And guess what they all look identical to the single shot. That is why the media gets it wrong they dont know what they are talking about.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Do you ever get tired of showing your ignorance?

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    12 years ago

Yawn, your ignorance is astounding John. But, hey, what the heck, most of the lefties that try to discuss this subject are completely ignorant about it.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Ms. Sullivan is part of the main problem, another misinformed media hack that doesn't have a clue.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Larry,

I don't think it is as important for the average individual to be able to identify a particular weapon as it is to understand what the difference in various types of weapons are. This is at the heart and soul of the debate.

As for the disappearing gun, is it something I should report?

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Yeah, and here we have an allegedly intelligent lefty poster who just doesn't care, if it's black and polymer, it's bad, simple.

Bah, humbug!

wmolaw
Professor Silent

If it's black and is polymer, it's SCARY crap to a lib/lefty/dem! Gotta ban that sucker!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

If you read my article "Weapons Primer" (which you haven't posted in the right hand side yet)

Oh, sorry about that, Bruce. I need to have it on the front page to post it, so if you could, make a post in the article, which will pop it onto the front page. I will post it to the "Columnists" then. I'll also read it then, but I have to say, that despite what you might think about me, I am very well versed on weapons. Of course, I am no expert like you.

The heart of the problem lies in the the appearance of the weapon.

Then that is stupid. To me, the issue isn't what a weapon looks like, it's what it does, or has thecapacityof doing. How big is the mag? How many rounds does it get of with one pull of thetrigger? The speed of those rounds.

But also, I feel that this is a state by state issue.

I also tend to avoid this topic like the plague. But when an event like this happens, it always resurfaces.

I think it has to do with the size of the picture.

Shouldn't. But if Larry sends me the photo, I will try to lend a hand.

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Sigh, I'm going to kind of give up on this issue.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Was it something I said?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Larry,

I fixed the problem. It was a coding issue. The article is up as is the pic.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Thank you Perrie, I could figure it out.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    12 years ago

Just so you know....the AR 15 is not fully automatic....that would be the M 16. and a person would have to see the other side of the rifle to see if it's a M16 A1/1A.......

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

Not exactly identical Larry. You would have to look close to see it, but this model has a two position safety and the real assault rifles have a three position safety.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

Not quite LR. The newer models of the AR15 (like this one) actually have a Forward Assist on them, just like the M-16 series. The only real differences are internal and the only difference externally is the number of positions on the safety (something very hard to determine on a picture of this size).

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

But an AR 15 only fires in single and semi auto whereas aM16 fires in single, semi auto and full auto. what seperates the models like the m 16 1A/A1 is on the magaizine tube on the other side of the rifle there will be raised metal in the shape of an H to add extra strength to the magazine tube......

Also the first M16's to come out had three prong flash supressors and latter they were changed to the bird cage design.....

Charlie Courtois
Freshman Silent
link   Charlie Courtois    11 years ago

Hi Larry,

Let's see, I went to Basic Training in 1958 in Ft Knox, KY. We went to the range and learned to fire an M-1. We, disassembled it, assembled it...over and over. That's the only weapon we were trained on. I was going to OCS, and I derailed myself when I discovered the only MOS at that time was Infantry, period. SO, I opted for X-Ray Technology at the perennially warm Ft. Sam Houston, TX.

Better alive, than trundling off to Korea to freeze and to lead a bunch canon-fodder on the front lines.

So, unless I had some interest in guns, and I didn't, I don't know left from right about guns, nor would I have any reason to know, or find out the first iota about weaponry.

I wonder what % of the people in the country know beans about guns?

If you're a hunter you may know something about rifles, shotguns, knives, bow and arrows, right?

My wife and I have a 22 rifle in the closet, because her dad used to shoot squirrels, and chicken hawks and the like with it. This "Right" to bear arms will probably need some delineation about what constitutes arms in the home to protect ourselves. Military weapons used in combat certainly should not be included in what constitutes the protection of our home, and whatever else a civilian, needs a gun for to protect themselves from harm.

Police Officers, security officers, and other trained militia, National Guard, et al, come to mind as an exception. But, this public outcry by the NRA, and the gun manufacturers is just a giant obfuscation to sell more weaponry, and by golly, it's working.

Ciao!

Charlie

Charlie Courtois
Freshman Silent
link   Charlie Courtois    8 years ago

Three years later...we have a different gun dilemma

This Shotgun Is so Amazing That Obama’s ATF Isn’t Sure How to Classify It

Ciao!

Charlie

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Charlie Courtois   8 years ago

A gun for the most paranoid, hunted, and targeted schizophrenic.  No other worldly purpose than killing another human.  Great idea.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Perfect gun for home protection here in Co. where we have the make my day law. A man should be able to defend his life in his own home. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

You basically repeated what I said, in different words.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Looks like a terrific gun to hunt pythons with [or even wild boar ] . They have wild boar all over the country most notably in Texas but also in San Jose , Calif .