╌>

Reading food labels, part one: What is lecithin?

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  peter-loves-the-real-tea-party  •  12 years ago  •  13 comments

Reading food labels, part one: What is lecithin?

We see lecithin listed as an ingredient in almost all processed foods. What is it, and why do we consume it? Why is it in our food?

In technical terms, lecithin is a generic term to designate any group of yellow-brownish fatty substances occurring in animal and plant tissues composed of phosphoric acid , choline , fatty acids , glycerol , glycolipids , triglycerides , and phospholipids (e.g., phosphatidylcholine , phosphatidylethanolamine , and phosphatidylinositol ).

Lecithin was first isolated in 1846 by the French chemist and pharmacist Theodore Gobley ; [1] in 1850 he named the phosphatidylcholine "Lchithine". [2] Gobley originally isolated lecithin from egg yolk (lekithos) is 'egg yolk' in ancient Greek and established the complete chemical formula of phosphatidylcholine in 1874; [3] in-between he had demonstrated the presence of lecithin in a variety of biological matters including venous blood, bile, human brain tissue, fish eggs, fish roe, chicken and sheep brain.

Lecithin can easily be extracted chemically (using hexane ) or mechanically from readily available sources such as soy beans. It has low solubility in water. In aqueous solution its phospholipids can form either liposomes , bilayer sheets, micelles , or lamellar structures, depending on hydration and temperature. This results in a type of surfactant that is usually classified as amphipathic . Lecithin is sold as a food supplement and for medical uses. In cooking, it is sometimes used as an emulsifier and to prevent sticking, for example in non-stick cooking spray .

-wiki

Actually the term lecithin connotes two meanings that are somewhat related but are not used in the same sense. In biochemistry and other related science, lecithin is a synonym for phosphatidyl choline. It is the main lipid component in biological membranes, like our cell membranes or cell walls of plants. On the other hand, commercial lecithin is actually a natural mixture of neutral and polar lipids, including glycolipids, triglycerides, sterols, and small quantities of fatty acids, carbohydrates, and sphingolipids. The polar lipid Phosphatidyl choline is present in commercial lecithin in concentrations of 20 to 90%.

-lecithinguide.info

So, what does all of that mean?

Basically, it means that lecithin is used to stabilize or emulsify food, for one. It reduces fat and egg requirements in baked goods. It acts as a releasing agent (doesnt stick to surfaces).

The FDA lists it as "Generally Recognized as Safe" (GRAS) which is designated for any additives that receive general recognition of safety through experience based on common use in foods requires a substantial history of consumption for food use by a significant number of consumers -FDA.gov

How about health benefits?

The following are some of the many health claims that lecithin is said to have:

• Cardiovascular health
  • Liver and cell function
  • Fat transport and fat metabolism
  • Reproduction and child development
  • Treatment for gallstones
  • Improvement in memory, learning and reaction time
  • Healthy hair and skin
  • Cell communication
  • Physical performance and muscle endurance
  • Relief of arthritis

-lecithinguide.info

These health benefits are in large part speculative, and also vary depending on the type of lecithin being used. Soy and Egg lecithin for example are less beneficial than sunflower lecithin.

It has also been suggested that lecithin is completely unnecessary if you already consistently eat healthy and well balanced meals. Kind of goes back to that whole, the lesser the amount of processed foods you consume, the better off you are, theme.

Here are some links that are of interest on the topic:

The Benefits And Risks Of Lecithin

What is lecithin?

Lecithin

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Great article Peter.

I have always been under the assumption that lecithin was milk based. Is this true? Also, from a health standpoint, is it bad say as corn syrup is?

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Pedro    12 years ago

There is definitely milk lecithin as well. I dont think many things are as bad as high fructose syrups, hydrogenated oil (partial or otherwise) or bleached stuff (flour, sugar, rice).

That being said, by all accounts so far, lecithin isnt bad. I avoid soy and dairy lecithin though personally.

It bothers me though, that we cant even pronounce most of the ingredients in processed foods, much less have any idea what they really are.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

It bothers me though, that we cant even pronounce most of the ingredients in processed foods, much less have any idea what they really are.

I totally agree!

Pedro
Professor Participates

Some of it is also a scam. Food labels are required to list ingredients in order from most to least. So, if you want to avoid listing sugar or salt, for example as your primary ingredient, you might list it this way instead:

• Monosodium glutamite
  • Sea salt
  • Disodium phosphate
  • Baking soda
  • Sodium citrate

All are actually salt, but because you have separated it into five different types of salt, you no longer have to list it as your primary ingredient, since each individually is not. Pretty sneaky, ay?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    12 years ago

I heard a lecture by a nutritionist who said:

Never eat any thing that comes in a package with a label

Meaning anything with a list of ingredients. A bit severe-- but his point was to eat food as nature made it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    12 years ago

Actually those are different kinds of salts. (I don't think baking soda is even a salt). I believe the thing to avoid in excess is not so much all types of salts, but rather excess sodium. (table sale is Sodium Chloride-- sea salt is mainly NaCl with some trace minerals).

I also think the ratio of Potassium to Sodium is a factor.

Vegetarians tend to have more Potassium in their diets and less Sodium-- Meat eaters often have more Sodium and less Potassium.

In many people excess Sodium raises blood pressure. (Switching to a vegetarian diet in and of itself can result in a decrease in blood pressure-- and probably also to a more favourable blood lipid profile).

Pedro
Professor Participates

I have heard that same thing said. I agree that it is a bit severe, but a valid point regardless. I have no doubt that most people dont look at food labels at all.

Kara Shalee
Freshman Silent
link   Kara Shalee    12 years ago

Hi D'Wayne, great article. I eat lecithin daily, as part of a nutritional plan that I believe is good for overall health. I can easily be added to lots of home made recipes.

Well I see you wrote this awhile back, so don't know if you'll see the reply or not. If you do, then we could discuss further.

Take care,

Kara

Pedro
Professor Participates

I'm happy to discuss this topic at your leisure. Actually, it reminds me that I need to continue this series.

Kara Shalee
Freshman Silent

Great. Yes, lecithin has been around for years. There is a lot of talk about the various kinds of lecithin. Most people will see it in their candy bars, for instance. At least I think so. I haven't had the desire for a candy bar for a couple of years.

Anyway, I think it's great as a fat emulsifyer. Well you get the idea. Looks like there isn't a spellchecker here, so I'll need to re-learn that activity. LOL.

There's a theory that I'm testing. That is, to consume Red Yeast Rice and coQ10 (or Ubiquinol) to lower my cholesterol. Additionally, I add lecithin to my diet. The RYR and coQ must be taken together, in order to protect your heart, BTW. So, I am hoping for a good result when I get my bloodwork done. Which will be happening this month. I'm also hoping that the lecithin will help carry the cholesterol out of my body, acting as a binding agent. So far, I'm just experimenting on myself. And I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's not just for candy bars anymore!! It may be for fat stores as well (eat too many candy bars and you'll end up with fat stores.......LOL). Thanks for coming back to the discussion, D'Wayne.

Pedro
Professor Participates

It goes without saying that sticking with a plant based diet, even for just a short period of time (6 weeks is a good number) will definitely both help protect and heal your heart/blood, and will definitely lower your cholesterol.

no less than 1 pound raw leafy greens

1 pound cooked vegetables

no less than 4 whole fruit

no less than 1 cup of beans/legumes

1 oz nuts/seeds

1 cup whole grain

8 cups of water

That simple plan will give you everything your body needs. Admittedly, it can be difficult to follow. Although calorie wise, it wont even come close to the average recommended intake, I have found it difficult to consume those vast quantities of food. However, if you can get close, the only thing you will be lacking will be B12 and a bit of Vitamin D.

Just sayin'....:)

Kara Shalee
Freshman Silent

Wow, talk about late in getting back to this discussion. Anyway, thank you so much, ambivalent for the info and the link up. Funny what we remember reading and where. The same thing often happens to me...........

And, good for your boys!!