" Disappearance "
by Yemeni artist Bouchra Almutawakel

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    9 years ago

The burqa is both the means and the symbol of reducing women to... nothing...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

A very interesting visual, Bob. The  burqa has become a troubling garment within the Muslim faith. 

Here is an interesting article about it: .html

My Uncle's neighbor in London, is 2nd gen English. His family came from India and he is a very modern Muslim. His wife just wears a headscarf and modern garb. He sent his daughter of to Cambridge. She came home wearing a  burqa. He was horrified. She told him, that she found her roots at university. He told her they were not her roots since the garment isn't worn in India. This is part of the problem going on at university campuses in Europe. The youth are very impressionable. 

As a woman, I can't understand it. Why do I bear the responsibility for the dirty thoughts going through men's minds? Why don't they bare responsibility for their thoughts? Have they no self control?

We are sexual beings, but the difference between man and other animals is that we are not supposed to act out on our thoughts. To repress them at this level, is to make the taboo more enticing from my POV. 

Just my two bits.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

Perrie,

The article you link is indeed interesting, because it is clearly written by a Muslim. It links to another good article: Dress code for women in the Quran .

Your uncle's story reinforces my own experience in the Muslim world: Muslims know very little about their own faith! They have heard all sorts of things, and "believe" pretty much whatever floats their boat. Your English/Indian gentleman's daughter is probably like so many young French women not of Muslim origin, who become the most ardent fundamentalists: they are in rupture with their families/parents, and the burqa is a huge slap in the face to the family/parents.

During the debate before France's anti-burqa law was passed, the most vociferous advocates for the ban were young Muslim women -- the people who know, intimately, what the burqa is.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson   9 years ago

Your uncle's story reinforces my own experience in the Muslim world: Muslims know very little about their own faith! 

I find this to be true not just about Muslims but other faiths, too. Things like traditions get mixed up with the actual teachings and then become ingrained. While I was researching about the  burqa, I came across another interesting story, regarding modesty laws within other faiths. 

Ultra orthodox jewish woman are wearing  burqa's in Israel! This has nothing to do with the Jewish faith. Modesty laws came about due to the pogroms of eastern Europe. At first, woman shaved their heads to make them less enticing to rape. But this slowly became a tradition among the ultra orthodox. More and more was added to this. Now Israel, just like France is banning the  burqa for both Jews and Muslims alike. 

Israel [ edit ]

Some years ago, a group of  Haredi  (ultra-Orthodox) Jewish women in Israel began donning the Burqa as a symbol of piety. Following its adoption by Bruria Keren, an estimated 600 Jewish women have taken to wearing the veil. [10]  Keren claims to "follow these rules of modesty to save men from themselves. A man who sees a woman's body parts is sexually aroused, and this might cause him to commit sin. Even if he doesn't actually sin physically, his impure thoughts are sin in themselves." [11]  However, apparently at the insistence of some of their husbands, a rabbinical authority quoted as saying "There is a real danger that by exaggerating, you are doing the opposite of what is intended [resulting in] severe transgressions in sexual matters," issued an edict declaring burka-wearing a sexual fetish, that is as promiscuous as wearing too little. [12]

According to  The Jerusalem Post , a Member of the  Knesset  is intending to put forward a bill to "prohibit the wearing of a full-body and face covering for women. [The] bill would not differentiate between Muslims and Jews". [13]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

stunned

anger

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

I know, right? 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Perrie,

As a woman, I can't understand it. Why do I bear the responsibility for the dirty thoughts going through men's minds? Why don't they bare responsibility for their thoughts? Have they no self control?

"Have they no self-control?" One wonders...

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

I confess.  I have dirty thoughts about you, cupcake.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Uncle Bruce   9 years ago

You just want a cupcake from cupcake. 

Perriescupcakes

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

"We are sexual beings, but the difference between man and other animals is that we are not supposed to act out on our thoughts. To repress them at this level, is to make the taboo more enticing from my POV. "

Yes we are sexual beings Man (as a specie) has to act out his/her carnal thoughts to propagate the specie. Just like any other specie that is a sexual being.

The difference is we have the capability to control such thoughts and make choices of when such are appropriate.

So although I have to empathize with Bruce's comment below, we have the intelligence level to not wantonly act out such thoughts. (no matter how enticing it seems to be)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Nowhere Man   9 years ago

I like to look at a pretty woman. I also like to look at a good painting. I am not going to rape either one. 

I would be happy to have a woman admire my good looks... but that hasn't happened for the last few years decades. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

We are also visual beings so enjoying looking at a woman is enjoying a beautiful piece of art. 

I always enjoyed drawing nudes of woman for that reason. 

And yes, I only like boys... but not that there is anything wrong with that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nowhere Man   9 years ago

LOL NWM,

Bruce wouldn't act out on it, because Mrs. Tarleton would beat him with a baseball bat. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Good article Bob, the burqa IMO, reduces women to no  more than furniture.

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
link   The Old Breed Marine    9 years ago

That is an interesting way to display it.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago

Powerful.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

For some reason I cannot open the photos of the article, but could this be what it consists of? It shows the progression from a simple head scarf on the mother of two children all the way to the three of them being fully covered and finally a black screen:

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   9 years ago

Buzz, 

It's the same series of photos, but all presented at the same time. 

Try

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson   9 years ago

I couldn't open that link either, but it's okay - I did get to see the series, so the point was made.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    9 years ago

I think France was wise to ban head coverings in public.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  pat wilson   9 years ago

The ban is on full body-and-face covering. 

The campaign in favor of the ban was led by a mostly Muslim women's association called Ni putes ni soumises -- "Neither whore nor submissive". They refuse both of the only two alternatives allowed them by the fundies.