╌>

Bernie Sanders Wins Big With Michigan Muslims — And Political Pundits Can’t Quite Believe It

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  19 comments

Bernie Sanders Wins Big With Michigan Muslims — And Political Pundits Can’t Quite Believe It

Political commentators and media outlets were quick to pounce on a “fascinating” statistic from Bernie Sanders’ victory in the Michigan primary on Tuesday night: Democrats in Dearborn, a city whose population is 40 percent Arab, voted overwhelmingly for Sanders over rival Hillary Clinton (59 percent to 39 percent). The subtext of pointing out this particular statistic is clear. How, the media wondered, could a predominantly Muslim group support a Jewish candidate? 

As the results rolled in, television pundits like Lawrence O’Donnell and Chuck Todd marveled on MSNBC that Sanders was doing so well in Dearborn “despite” the large Arab-American population there. WNYC radio host Brian Lehrer tweeted that Sanders’ dominance in Dearborn was “the stat of the night,” later adding “It’s official: Arab city feels the Jewish Bern.” Meanwhile, The Week dubbed it “just one more strange data point in an election overflowing with them.”

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

The assumption implicit in such commentary, of course, is that Muslims are biased against Jews — and that when they do cast a vote for Jewish candidates, it’s because they’ve somehow managed to overcome their own inherent anti-Semitism. But this fascination with Dearborn’s support of Sanders actually demonstrates the media industry’s own all-too-prevalent prejudice — and reveals how much reporting on American Muslims is still rooted in an unsophisticated naiveté about what motivates them.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

So it's like voting for BO to prove you are not racist?  Guess they didn't pay attention to how that turned out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  96WS6   8 years ago

I honestly think they don't care. I can't believe they would if they thought it would affect them negatively. The people who voted for Obama, for the most part really liked him. I don't think the majority of them voted for him to prove anything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

I think that that is one of the most positive things I have seen about American Muslims, and deserves the respect and admiration of the non-Muslim citizens.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

American Indians overwhelming voted for Sanders in Oklahoma, Minnesota and Michigan. I guess that we are lovers of ISIS. /s

The people of Dearborn are Americans, I guess that the media forgets that.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

The people of Dearborn are Americans, I guess that the media forgets that.

That seems to be the crux of the matter.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

What does that even mean? When was Sanders associated with ISIS?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

I honestly think that the media is trying to manage the American people into choosing who they want. I have felt this way for a while. None of their polling ever matches up. I think they are trying to manipulate America into their agendas, and I find that disturbing. So I don't find this shocking at all. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

"I honestly think that the media is trying to manage the American people into choosing who they want."

Glad you finally caught up.winking

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Well there are many talking heads that say that the media makes the candidates. They are willing to say it directly on air.

Off they air, they say they make the elections as in they are the deciders. (based upon who they support)

The people are the flock that follows them.

This result isn't unusual to me, but I can see where it is to them.

People who think for themselves are people that the media can't understand or even grasp in any reality.

Particularly when it comes to an election.

Joseph and William Randolph (Pulitzer  & Hearst) are still at work today. (and laughing uproariously at us)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Having been the Editor-in-Chief of my university newspaper for almost 2 years, I am in agreement with your assessment of the media, Perrie.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Sanders had a nice night, but considering he has to win about 65% of the popular vote to win the nomination HRC already bought and paid for thanks to super-delegates, it's hard to see it mattering. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

You're right 'cause Billary will buy/steal/force the votes she/he gets.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    8 years ago

Greetings all.

With all this talk of manipulation and sheep. I thought this quote appropriate:

The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness. ~Annie Savoy, Bull Durham

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    8 years ago

I didn't know Bernie Sanders is Jewish.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

Does that make a difference?