╌>

New Zealand stages first Pastafarian wedding on pirate boat

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

New Zealand stages first Pastafarian wedding on pirate boat

256 The light-hearted Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has staged its first legally recognised wedding.

Toby Ricketts and Marianna Fenn tied the "noodle knot" in the New Zealand South Island town of Akaroa.

The happy couple say that guidelines of the Pastafarian religion stipulate that wedding celebrants must be pirates.

Members of the church profess the belief that the world was created by an airborne spaghetti and meatballs-based being and humans evolved from pirates.

New Zealand officials last month designated the religion as an officially-recognised faith, allowing Wellington-based Pastafarian Karen Martyn the legal right to conduct marriages.

She carried out her inaugural wedding as an ordained "ministeroni" on Saturday.

More weddings are planned, she said, including same-sex unions that were legalised in New Zealand in 2013.

"I've had people from Russia, from Germany, from Denmark, from all over contacting me and wanting me to marry them in the church because of our non-discriminatory philosophy," she said.

"We will marry any consenting legal adults who meet the legal requirement."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36062126

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

Well it's about time! RAmen to the happy couple!!!

New Zealand officials last month designated the religion as an officially-recognised faith, allowing Wellington-based Pastafarian Karen Martyn the legal right to conduct marriages.

And RAmen to New Zealand for being the first!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

The timing of this news is right on, I made spaghetti for dinner last night. thumbs up

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

My Pastafarian name is Pasta Ram Das.Happy

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

And mine is Pasta Bolognese.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Not Pasta and Meatballs?

Here's another take on the story. I thought it was nice of New Zealand to recognize it as an official religion, though personally I think that takes part of the fun out of it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

New Zealand Stages First Pastafarian Wedding On Pirate Boat

Where will the second be , on a ferris wheel? 

Who cares? 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Who cares?

Thousands, if not 10's of thousands of Pastafarians care. Also I think it has to be on a pirate ship to count?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Happy Sunday John!  

Don't be a party pooper.  I don't know whether they are serious about their mascot or not but I'm taking it as their way of showing how ridiculous religious leaders can be and thus the ridiculousness trickles down to the flock...........OMG, I just showed how the "trickle down" theory does work!  Hahaha. I like your new avatar pic.  Is that you actually smiling.  winking

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

What party?

Yes, that is me. Laugh

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

The Kiwi's have always been on the cutting edge of religion.Laugh