╌>

Two Campus Tales and What They Say About American Vs. British Anti-Semitism

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jdychn  •  8 years ago  •  33 comments

Two Campus Tales and What They Say About American Vs. British Anti-Semitism

"The past week has seen two disturbing pieces of campus anti-Semitism that illustrate their contexts. At Harvard on April 14, Husam El-Coolaq, a law student and member of the university’s Justice for Palestine group asked Tzipi Livni,  “How is it that you are so smelly?”  And in Brighton, England, at the National Union of Students annual conference, the organization  elected Malia Bouattia  as its first black Muslim woman president. Normally that would be a matter for celebration — except that Bouattia is accused, with significant evidence, of repeated anti-Semitic comments.

On the face of it — and there are media outlets and political organizations whose funding depends on stressing this — it seems that the college students of the English-speaking west are now embattled, surrounded by anti-Semites. But we shouldn’t take the latest media and social media flare-ups at face value. Neither of these events reflect exactly what’s going on in their respective countries, and what is happening in the U.K. is not at all analogous to  what’s happening in the U.S.

First, Bouattia. Her election is indeed worrying. Her remarks about  “Zionist-led media outlets”  being the main reason that acts of violence are seen as “terrorism” are as obnoxious as they are wrong. That she bemoaned the large Jewish society at her own Birmingham University as a “Zionist outpost in higher education” is despicable. And, at the very least, there are the unfortunate optics of her having objected to a previous NUS motion condemning the Islamic State group and having thanked the spokesman of the NUS-banned extremist Muslim group, Muslim Public Affairs Committee, for his support."

Read full article here:  http://forward.com/opinion/339243/two-campus-talesand-what-they-say-about-american-vs-british-anti-semitism/#ixzz46aTaRaRq

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  jdychn    8 years ago

Why are there apologists for anti-Semitism?

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  jdychn  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

Seriously, I don't understand.  If someone derides Islam, there is a swift outcry and false accusations of "Islamophobia" abound.  No one hates Muslims, they just despise terrorists.  Who makes up the majority of terrorists? 

Condemn Israel for protecting itself and you become an instant hero.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

I disagree. I think there is a much louder out cry if someone says anything bad about Israel then if someone says bad about Muslims. As a rule Muslims are hated in America. That is sick and sad on the part f the Americans who do, but the are much more discriminated and spoken badly against then Jews or Israel in this country, which some people consider the same. That to be critical of Israel is the same as being critical of all Jews, which is one of the most absurd notions here.

The idea that Islamophobia abounds is true. Because it does in America. A terrorist blows himself up, taking innocent people with them is a terrible thing. If they are Muslim, then most or at least any people in America condemn the entire religion, which is even worse. That's like the Klan lynching a black man because he is black and they are white and then saying all white people are just as bad.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

As a rule Muslims are hated in America

Link?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

I'm not sure what point the author is trying to make. It sounds like an apologist for anti Semitism in both the UK and the US.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

It seems to me that the point of the author (though written in a very confusing manner) seems to think that the Left in the US and in the UK is rife with anti-Semitism, though more so in the UK. I can not speak about the UK as I have never taken a serious look at it there, however I have not seen any noticeable amount of anti-Semitismin the Left/Progressive movement in America.

My guess is that it would depend on what one considers to be anti-Semitic. Some people consider any and all criticism of the Israel government as anti-Semitic, even when it's purely political, while others don't. Some people consider any sympathy for the plight of the Palestinians or to be in favor of a two state solution to be anti-Semitic, when it clearly is not. It all depends.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   8 years ago

That could be, but the article is a mess the way it's written, IMO.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I agree. Very hard to read or to try to make out what the author is even talking about. All I can make out is that it has something to do with anti-Semitism, but it's nearly impossible to figure out if it's saying there is more, less, is in favor of it or is opposed to it?

Come to think of it I haven't seen or heard of any great increases in anti-Semitism anywhere in the US. If that was the point of the article? Who knows?

Clear as mud.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

In the youtube video I think it becomes clearer . If you are white [& probably even more so if you're Jewish] you are  considered as evil and need to whip yourself repeatedly while loudly proclaiming your evilness . I think the appropriate response to this is to instead loudly proclaim "go F urself " anytime someone of this group makes an appearance ...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

thumbs upangelapplause

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

If you are white [& probably even more so if you're Jewish] you are  considered as evil and need to whip yourself repeatedly while loudly proclaiming your evilness .

Didn't Catholic Monks do that centuries ago to beat the evilness out of their spirits and bodies? Getting laid would have been less painful and more pleasurable and probably would have solved their problems.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Didn't Catholic Monks do that centuries ago to beat the evilness out of their spirits and bodies?

Yes they did . However merely getting laid is not the answer to all problems either ...

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It is to many of them though...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Like if you have a stress achy feeling in the back of your neck and then you get laid, if it goes away then you know it was just stress causing it. However if it doesn't go away after sex then it's probably a fatal cancerous tumor on your upper spine and you only have a few weeks to live. Either that or you wear your necktie or collar too tight. One or the other. I'd get it looked at though. But not by a Chiropractor, but by a real MD. Good advice to be taken to heart. Just trying to help...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Genital herpes is common. This very contagious sexually transmitted disease is caused by a Herpes simplex virus.  It is transmitted from one person to another usually during sexual contact and results in blisters or groups of small ulcers (open sores) on and around the genitals of both men and women.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Didn't Catholic Monks do that centuries ago to beat the evilness out of their spirits and bodies?

Yes-- that was long ago. 

But Shia Muslims still do that during Ashura. ( Warning: Graphic Photos )

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

So do American Masochists. I don't have pictures, but I do have first hand accounts of seeing it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Petey, you have just won an award from the TalksTooMuchShit Society of America. I think it is the lifetime achievement award.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Come to think of it I haven't seen or heard of any great increases in anti-Semitism anywhere in the US. If that was the point of the article? Who knows?

Randy,

Here are the latest FBI hate crime stats. I think you might be surprised:

Religious bias  

Of the 1,140 victims of anti-religious hate crimes:

• 56.8 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Jewish bias.
  • 16.1 percent were victims of anti-Islamic (Muslim) bias.
  • 6.2 percent were victims of bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
  • 6.1 percent were victims of anti-Catholic bias.
  • 2.5 percent were victims of anti-Protestant bias.
  • 1.2 percent were victims of anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
  • 11.0 percent were victims of bias against other religions (anti-other religion). (Based on Table 1 .)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I was unaware of that information. Though I am heartened to know that they re tracking attacks on atheists and agnostics. That REALLY surprises me!

However, is anti-semitism increasing or decreasing in America as compared to the UK as the article seems to suggest it's less of a problem here then there. Though it is a tough read.

Krishna
Professor Expert

However, is anti-semitism increasing or decreasing in America as compared to the UK as the article seems to suggest it's less of a problem here then there. Though it is a tough read.

I have no idea if anti-Semitism is increasing or not in the U.S. as a whole, but its definitely increasing rapidly on college campuses. 

Yes, its considerably higher in the U.K. than it is here. and much, much higher in France than the U.K. 

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  jdychn  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Great addition!  The numbers for anti-Semitic crimes are probably much higher than what the FBI reports.  The stats are compiled via local municipalities.  Local law enforcement officers are not required to report to the FBI and many municipilalities do not have the appropriate funding.  Also, some victims are afraid to report anti-Semitic crimes for fear of reprisals.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

the article is a mess the way it's written,

Of course it is-- after all its the Forward...

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  jdychn  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

You cannot deny that a Jew-hater would refrain from criticizing Israel.  Many Jew-haters hide behind criticsm of Israel as a way to express their hate.

We have been persecuted for centuries, so surely you can understand why we get a little testy.  As an ethno-religious group we have been the #1 target of fear and hate.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

I happen to be a hater of the current Israeli government and it's polices, but that doesn't make one an anti-Semite or a Jew hater. Right?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

What you are is a hater of Israeli politics . Your arrogance that the voters in Israel have no say in deciding their own  politics [compared to your own bombastic verbiage] is as arrogant as the Donald ...

Randy
Sophomore Participates

IYHO.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

It has nothing to do with me . Israel elects her own govt representatives . Your bombast that your opinion supersedes that of the Israeli voters is every bit as arrogant as the Donald's . Seriously , have a look at yourself B4 you make more of an ass of yourself . 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I don't hate the Israeli people or their voters. I just hate the polices of the Likud Party and Bibi. I think Bibi is a much better example of someone like The Donald then me or just about anyone.

I think of you as more like...I don't know...Bobby Jindal or Marco Rubio...someone like that....

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I just hate the polices of the Likud Party and Bibi.

both of whom are elected by the voters of Israel . But have fun pretending they are not ... Bibi is THE ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE of Israel . Who are you to Israelis ? Only a Palestinian sympathizer ...

Who cares what you believe ? Not me & not the Israeli public ... Your opinions of what YOU say are irrelevant to everyone but you .

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I believe they voted for the wrong leader, that they were duped, like The Donald is trying to do. It's happened before in countries you know. After all we had 8 years of Dubya here.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Calm down Petey! You're really upset for someone who says they don't care...put on a happy face!Happy

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  jdychn  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I'm not sure what point the author is trying to make. It sounds like an apologist for anti Semitism in both the UK and the US.

That is how I read it.