╌>

Teaching Naval Strategy... to all who matter.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  8 years ago  •  28 comments

Teaching Naval Strategy... to all who matter.

Most Americans—if they think about their navy at all—perceive it as expensive (true) and no longer as necessary as it once was (decidedly not true). Like it or not, through the power of the purse strings, those citizens and their legislative representatives hold the keys to the nation’s security. If the Navy is going to continue to carry out those missions so essential to a maritime nation such as ours, those missions have to be explained so that the citizenry understands what the Navy does and what it must be prepared to do.

This article is write protected from USNI.org...... Full article (lengthy) is provided below.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1    8 years ago

From a recent U.S. Navy Recruiting commercial, one can learn that:

• 70% of the world is covered by water.
  • 80% of the world's population lives by the sea.
  • 90% of the world's commerce is delivered by ship.

By those three points one should be able to grasp that our ability to influence what happens on the world's seas is critical to our nation, and the peace of the world. 

This article is intended to be informative for those not well studied in naval history, or the current mission of the Navy and Marine Corps. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

The link is protected and can't be accessed.

Just to add to seapower, the U.S. DOES NOT own a single International Shipping Line. The last one was sold to NOL, owned by the Singapore government. (currently being sold to CGM, a private French company)

IMO this is really backward thinking by the U.S. Yes, we have agreements that certain foreign lines will provide heavy lift when needed by the U.S. I would much rather depend on our capabilities than depending on another country capabilities.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Thanks for this article, Fly...  I look forward to seeing more!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide

Best to you today Kavika....

Military Sealift Command has taken a beating over the last two decades that is for sure. Lets hope we don't need them.  Most activities I see in the near future are going to be "come as you are affairs".

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide

The Athenian general and politician of 524–459 BC stated that "He who contols the seas, controls everything."  His words are as true today as they were 2,500 years ago.

In 2016 it is necessary to refine his statement in that you need to control the air, space, and the underseas of those same seas.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

As the daughter of a Navy man, I was well aware of this Fly. Sadly most people are not. The last movie I can remember that featured the Navy, was "Midway"... although you will be glad to know that there is a TV series here called "The Last Ship" that features a great Navy Captain and his crew. And last week, I actually saw on the news a carrier showing their proficiency at prepping fighters for their sorties. 

You are correct that most people don't think of the Navy. They also don't think about the Coast Guard either.. or if they do, they think of them as search and rescue. Meanwhile, here on the homefront, they are our first line of defence against drug trade, piracy and illegal immigration. These two facets of our armed forces serve quietly and efficiently, so the public is unaware of their great benefit.

Great Article! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

The Coast Guard, affectionately know as ''The Puddle Pirates''....

Kidding, the Coast Guard are a darn good bunch. Many of the operators of the landing craft in WWII were Coast Guard, as well in the Mekong Delta during Vietnam.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    8 years ago

You should see all the bitching on my submariner based FB pages about how the Navy is being gutted while the Chinese are building a lot of very capable submarines.  We need more and better outfitted nuclear subs.  We need more support vessels. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Wheel   8 years ago

I know the bitching quite well Wheel, and it is well deserved.

With the Arctic thawing out, there is going to be more and more navigable seas to patrol, and both the Chinese and Russians are building ever more quiet submarines to operate in those seas.  Back during the Cold War, we and our allies were the "A-Team" when it came to controlling how the ASW game was played.  We don't dare lose that edge, but I think we have lost some of those perishable human skills that made us the best.  Equipment only goes so far.

Think of how many attack subs could have been built for what we have paid for the stinking F-35.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce  replied to  Wheel   8 years ago

Wheel, you fuckin Nuke!  Which page is that?

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel  replied to  Uncle Bruce   8 years ago

cold war submariners in particular.  The others are more social, that one is more political

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   jdychn  replied to  Wheel   8 years ago

"while the Chinese are building a lot of very capable submarines." 

True. But there is some positive news too, with our greatest ally, Israel. Israel is working on growing its sub program.

From the JPost:  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

Yep.  Israel has purchased a number of a modified German Type-209 DE submarines.   Very quiet, and very capable for Israels neck of the woods.  If it came to it, they would be operating against Russian built Kilo class DEs. Both are pretty evenly matched in sensor capability, quiet operation, an weaponry.  If it came to blows, the difference will be determined by the crews manning them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

The Aussies are ordering 12 of the most advanced subs in the world, from France.

Interesting link for you submariners, with video. A stealth sub.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

A political decision that is severely straining Australian-Japanese relations. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

The Japanese lost out to the French on the purchase. The Soryu sub of the Japanese is getting a lot of competition, France and Germany are producing the competition to the Soryu.

Aren't all decision political, Cerenkov?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Yes, the Japanese felt that they had a ''wink and nod'' for Australia to purchase their subs, they didn't have a signed contract.

South Korea is also upset with the Aussies, since they thought that they were to supply a number of surface ships, and instead Spain got the contract.

Changes in administrations can, and often do create problems because of prior verbal commitments made. The bottom line is that a signed contract is needed to complete the deal.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I don't disagree, but the damage has been done nonetheless. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

I guess it will depend on how aggressive the Chinese become. That is the common link for the Aussie's and the Japanese to remain allies.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I'm still hunting for the Red October.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Fly,

First, thanks for a really great subject and article. The import cannot be over emphasized as most Americans are truly uninformed/ignorant about the consequence of not being aware.

Secondly, my Father who is a Navy Vet, who spent his time as a very young man at sea stationed at bay in Cuba in the early sixties on a carrier, so appreciated your viewpoint. I only get to visit with him and mom about a month or so a year, mostly when they come and spend a few weeks wth us each summer. They always come over the fourth , when it's warm and gorgeous in northern minnesota; so, they are here visiting now. I read this article and the comments to him to get his perspective (he's a hardcore ol' school dude fly) and he got fairly serious and said   ...   *quoting*   ...

"My concern is that the many, many sacrifices that have been made, may have to be made again if voting Americans don't understand how important sea travel really, truly is. War is so terrible and my Dad went to war and died Larry: I just hope we make wise decisions that do not lead again to another war".

...makes sense to me. 

Perhaps the financial incentive isn't apparent; however, shouldn't there be a balance of National security interests/security to outweigh the cost of running our own international waters shipping lines? I mean, I really don't get it!?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

however, shouldn't there be a balance of National security interests/security to outweigh the cost of running our own international waters shipping lines?

Isn't this what free trade is suppose to be about?  This is one of the cornerstones for any maritime country.  You need to ensure your access to commerce/shipping by sea, while if need be, be able to restrict it to a potential foe when the time comes.  We've had a knife at the throat of China's economy through the Straights of Malacca for decades.  A single sub, or even a destroyer could bring their their economy to it's knees in just a couple of months.  They know it, we know it, and all these efforts by China to secure their access to the East and South China seas is targeted at eliminating that knife. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  FLYNAVY1   8 years ago

Right on.

A rudimentary understanding of the initial development of the US navy was in the spirit of that very thing. 

Today we attempt to gain political advantage through the economics of such trade, (which if was purely shared by all would be fantastic!) Yet, I fear that that, isn't the case as we are now presently making actual strategic decisions with a smaller scope of choices. Perhaps the Feds need to step in and insure our own lines, and provide such protection. I know that means stepping on free enterprise, but totally necessary!

Totally imho.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

initial development of the US navy

Your link is what power projection and maintaining the freedom of the seas is all about.  What was true then is as true now as ever.

The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague will rule on a case brought by the Philippines against China over its territorial claims and actions across the disputed waters and vital global trade route.

This ruling is going to go against China which is a signatory to the United Nations maritime convention.  China is going to ignore the conventions ruling.  So either the rule of law, or might makes right is going to be the way things go.  This makes that part of the world a flashpoint, which few are watching, or even know about.  The US and our regional allies HAVE to respond forcefully now!  We won't get a second chance.  China has invested quite a bit there, so they are not going to want to back down, or worse have the "appearance" of having backed down. (It's that face saving face thing that is going to cause real problems.)

Think it is just a coincidence that there are two carrier battle groups in the area just prior to the court ruling?  We haven't had two carrier groups operating jointly in that area since 1983!!!   

Al-316
Professor Silent
link   Al-316    8 years ago

This article was written in a scholarly and intellectual fashion. I found it interesting that the word fear is suggested but not used. To see a U.S. Naval vessel off shore and knowing its capabilities, I think, would instill some degree of fear.  

I still think we never should have given up control of the Panama Canal. The gate keeper wields a lot of power whether during peace time or in times of war.

Thanks, Flynavy1, for posting this article. We hear all the time about "boots on the ground", but never hear about "paddles in the water". We take the Navy for granted.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Al-316   8 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the article.... To your point about "Fear".

I think Oliver Cromwell's statement about "A man of war is the best ambassador." points to what you were getting at.  That warship can be your ally or your foe.  It is up to those looking at it to decide which it will be.

Again, the real fun begins on 12JUL16, when the Maritime Convention rules against what China has been doing in the region, and China, a signatory to the international convention ignores their ruling.

Happy 4th!