╌>

On September 30th the Opiate addiction life saving herb Kratom will be Classified by the DEA as a Schedule 1 drug

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  release-the-kraken  •  8 years ago  •  12 comments

On September 30th the Opiate addiction life saving herb Kratom will be Classified by the DEA as a Schedule 1 drug

By Release The Kraken 

Many of you have probably never herd of Kratom. Mitragyna speciosa  is a evergreen tree in the Coffee family from Southeast Asia .The herb is an not an opiate but an opiate antagonist, it and fills the opinoid receptors in the brain. Why is this important? Because the primary use for the leaf is to reduce withdrawal symptoms from opiate addiction. That's right a physically addicted heroin addict can safely and comfortably withdraw using kratom for four or five days. The leaf has been used for hundreds of years specifically for this purpose.

The tree has several different varieties and each one is suited for different types of opiate addiction. The leave relieves opiate cravings, cramps, sweating, diarrhea, sleeplessness and restless leg syndrome. Addicts have logged their experiences online for a number of years. The results are incredible. Once an addict makes it through the withdrawal period recovery becomes a real possibility. The DEA believes recreational use is a risk, over the last 4 years 15 people have died taking Kratom, and each one had a mix of other drugs in their system. Some states have banned Kratom and seen an increase in opiate use and overdoses.

In 2009 after battling a spine injury I finally decided to have surgery. I had been taking pain pills for 9 months to manage a pain like I have never experienced in my life. After the surgery I decided I didn't need the pain pills only to realize I had developed a tolerance, which is a nice way to say I was physically addicted to opiates. I was in the best physical shape of my life prior to the injury, how could this happen? It happens to anyone who takes pain pills for any length of time over a few weeks. I stopped taking them and experienced one of the most miserable weeks of my life.

In 2011 I reinjured my spine lifting weights. I was on vacation with my family when it happened and I remember the plane ride home like it was yesterday. It is the only time in my life I ever contemplated suicide. The pain was unbearable. Most of all I had a deep sadness knowing I would have to take pain pills again. Returning home i immediately scheduled an appointment to have a quick surgery and fix the problem. Once again after the surgery, taking the pills as prescribed I knew I had a tolerance to opiates and would suffer a miserable withdrawal.

I did a little research on the internet. There had to be a way to ease the pain involved in quitting opiates. I heard about Kratom and spent a couple weeks before finally heading out to a homeopathic store that sold Kratom. The next day I skipped the pain pills and took Kratom as I had read on the internet. Usually after 8 hours or so withdrawal symptoms start to make addicts sick, anxiety, diarrhea, muscle cramps etc. The Kratom keep all of them at bay. I took it for four days and awoke on the 5th day free.

Kratom is a wonderful leaf and I will always be thankful I had the opportunity to experience Kratom and the gift it gave me. The recent News of the DEA's rescheduling is very disheartening. Kratom helped me overcome the misery I experienced. The thought of so many not having that option leaves me with great sadness. 

Kratom is not dangerous, the leaf does not provide a high that is worth using for any other purpose other than withdrawing from opiates. The DEA is making a huge mistake.

I signed the petition

http://keepkratomlegal.org/petition

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

The war on drugs? No one really wants to win do they?

Apparently not. 

Here is an interesting article on it from Scientific American. 

Apparently, it is also good for kicking Meth. 

I signed the petition. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

Adding an herb to the list of schedule 1 drugs should only be done when there is scientific evidence of dangers . If the govt can't produce such evidence of dangers the only possible explanation is that the pharmaceutical industry is behind this . Sales of opiates would undoubtedly decline ...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

We have a huge problem with pain management in this country. I've been dealing with spine problems the last couple of years that pushed me beyond the point of wishing I was dead. The last procedure I had was a nerve ablation where they shoot alcohol into the nerves in an attempt to damage the nerves so the pain signals can't get through the damaged nerves. It has worked to some degree but not as well as I'd like it to. They won't offer me opiates and I think I need them as the pain was breaking my will to live. I've been continuing to maintain a pretty good workout routine including cardio, weight training and flexibility exercises. I feel best when pushing myself physically but when the bone is impinging the nerve the pain can be overpowering. All they've been offering me for pain management other than numerous steroid injections and a nerve ablation is Gabapentin in a low dosage. I'm almost done building a new home and once I move in I'm looking forward to spine surgery to finally treat the root cause of the pain. At one point the pain was so severe I considered moving to a country like Cambodia where they could give me morphine or something. I have no doubt the governments policy of discouraging doctors from prescribing opiates is driving people to end their life to escape the pain. 

Once again we see how the government is doing more harm than good. It strips us of our freedom to treat our illnesses. Now the government will create a black market and it will be difficult for those that would benefit from access to Kratom.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago
I recently had a chronic spinal problem that impacted my left arm from my pinky to my spine.  It was seriously affecting my quality of life, sleep, and ability to concentrate.  A chiropractor fixed it in three adjustments, and now there isn't even a hint that it ever was a problem.  I don't know what he did, but it ended months of agonizing pain.  However, I am thoroughly unimpressed with the basic chiropractic business model.  Don't let them try and convince you that you're not fixed yet, they just want that reoccurring draft from your bank account to come back for another couple hundred needless visits. I dreaded the alternative - painkillers. I'm certain that I would get hooked. Sounds like this plant serves an important purpose, and that Big Pharma would like nothing more than for it to be banned.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

" I'll make this one short and sweet because there's really not too much to say. I'm simply informing the masses of the power of kratom, as it seems to be very underrated from what I read.

I've used kratom many times before, and have gotten quite pleasurable buzzes but nothing ever flooring. I've had stronger opiates before, IV hydromorphone a couple times (small doses, 1mg at a time), railed oxy, percs/vikes all over the place, and also drank pod tea religiously for a while. I know what opiates feel like, should feel like, and what a somewhat intense experience feels like, to the point where you actually have to fight off the nodding to stay alert.

Yesterday I had a relatively empty stomach, and I dosed a glass of kratom tea with an estimated dosage. At first I thought it was about 10-12g (tried my best to dump out 1/5th of a 50g bag), but I'm starting to think it was more. Normal premium commercial powdered leaf. Here's how it went:

Time of ingestion is ~7:00pm.

0:00 - Finished my cup, yuck...

0:10 - Bad nausea setting in, I decide to take a shower to try and forget about it until it goes away. While in the shower, I believe I already start feeling effects. This stuff kicks in ultra fast compared to pod tea.

0:20 - I'm out of the shower, effects are clearly building. I check my pupils and they aren't quite pinned yet, but definitely shrinking.

0:30 - I feel like I'm peaking, I almost considered drinking more because I thought this was as good as it was going to get. I check my pupils. Nearly invisible, I don't think I've ever seen them so small. I feel absolutely fantastic, euphoric as hell! Good thing I didn't dose more...because....

1:00 - ...over the course of an hour after ingestion, effects steadily build up and up and up to the point where I'm almost uncomfortably high. Lots of pleasant stimulation, intense euphoria, and lots of empathy towards friends. I have a strong urge to just be around them and talk. I walk by the mirror a few times and my pupils are so unusually small that my eyes just plain look WEIRD. 

~1:30 - I take one single bong hit of good cannabis. I am in the stars now. If this was any other opiate, I would've been nodding uncontrollably at this point. Being that it's kratom, and it's stimulating, I wasn't nodding but instead I had a ton of energy I didn't know what to do with! I love it!!

? ? - Pretty much up until I woke up the next morning, I felt great. I was still very stimulated while laying in bed, I remember looking at the clock and seeing 3:00am, but still felt so euphoric I didn't care! I just lied there, loving life. I finally took a melatonin and drifted off.

Basically, all I'm trying to convey is that kratom is most certainly a very potent substance, and if taken in slightly higher doses, it can seriously floor you if you aren't used to the really hard stuff like IV heroin. Even so, like I said, I was so damn high I felt like if I was any higher I'd be uncomfortable. Plus,  the fact that it was so stimulating instead of sedating made me actually like it more than any other opiate I've ever had. Yeah, I said it.... even though kratom isn't even technically an opiate, I'm inclined to say I enjoyed yesterday's kratom high better than any other opiate experience I've ever had. I read in a kratom trip report once where the guy compared kratom to a low dose of MDMA (sans visuals) and a moderate dose of oxy. I can most certainly see where he's coming from on that. The stimulation and added empathy make it feel that way. Also, it came with a lovely side helping of a tingly body high that I felt down to my toes and teeth. Freaking awesome.

Now, I can already hear all you hard opiate aficionado loading your flame throwers and aiming them at my n00b face, however before you light me on fire, remember, I'm talking relatively here. From the experience that I have with opiates, this has been one of the most enjoyable if not the most. I'm sure if I ran down the street and copped a bag of dope and banged it, my opinion would change. Just sayin', this stuff rocks a lot more than I think it's getting credit for. And for the price, how can you beat it? No price discussion, however dollar for dollar, the cost of one 5mg percocet will get you ~12 hours of a flooring kratom high. And that's on demand, 100% legal, shipped to your door, uncut, pure natural product, no shady dealers, etc.. You weigh out the difference.  "

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/528525-Kratom-Semi-experienced-Most-intense-opiate-high-yet!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

You have here a substance that is used as a legal and easy to get alternative to either illegal substances or prescription drugs, to get HIGH. 

And it seems you need to experiment with large and potentially dangerous doses to do so. 

Like it or not, it is an issue. 

Kratom: Legal High and Lethal Poison