╌>

‘Wild Thing’ Charlie Sheen Wants To Throw Out First Pitch For World Series

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  5 comments

“Major League continues to be the gift that keeps on giving!” he says.

By Ron Dicker, General Assignment Reporter, The Huffington Post, October 21 2016

Wild Thing.jpg

UPDATE: Major League Baseball told the Associated Press on Friday that the choices had been made, and they didn’t include Sheen . MLB and the Cleveland Indians asked “former franchise greats” to throw out the ceremonial first pitch for the games in Cleveland. Sorry, Charlie.

Previously:

Charlie Sheen, once a fictional Cleveland Indians pitcher, wants to play a real role in the team’s World Series appearance.

The actor said on Thursday that he would “ be honored ” to throw out the ceremonial first pitch for a World Series game if called upon, outlets reported.

“Major League continues to be the gift that keeps on giving! if called upon, I’d be honored,” Sheen wrote on Twitter. 

Major League
continues to be the gift
that keeps on giving!

if called upon,
I’d be honored. pic.twitter.com/ijjAU0Qvbw

— Charlie Sheen (@charliesheen) October 20, 2016

Fans had clamored for Sheen  ― who played reliever “Wild Thing” Ricky Vaughn in the 1989 sports comedy “Major League” ― on social media after Cleveland defeated Toronto in the American League Championship Series.

The actor played a bespectacled hurler with control problems who was just one of many kooky characters on a hapless team that turns its fortunes around despite having an evil owner. He entered games to the song “Wild Thing.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

What a great opportunity ignored. It would have been a huge  moment of glory for the Cleveland fans to have had Sheen in his movie outfit, haircut, glasses and all walk on to the playing of 'Wild Thing' to throw out that first ceremonial pitch.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

I think the honor should go to real Cleveland Indian stars from the past. Sheen isn't even from Cleveland. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Did you ever watch the two 'Major League' movies? I'm sure it would have been more of a treat for the fans and excitement builder to watch the "replay" of Cleveland's fictional movie victory. There are subsequent games in which that the historical figures can be used, some of whom I'm sure a lot of fans would not even know - but I'll bet every baseball fan in Cleveland has watched those movies more than once.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Notwithstanding my posting this article as a useless attempt to lighten up the Home Page, I'm still rooting for the Cubs to win the Pennant, rather than the team that eliminated the Blue Jays.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Those were great movies, Buzz!  I enjoyed them!

It would have been a great PR opportunity for Mr. Sheen to come and throw out the first pitch-- but I can also understand the team wanting to honor its past stars.