╌>

Why Are Republicans So Mean?

Category:  Other

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  92 comments

Updated Jul 11, 2016

Cody Cain Writer and commentator in New York City

Let’s state right off-the-bat that conservatives indeed have much to offer. In fact, the very notion of conservatism itself keeps us grounded in tradition and prevents our society from spinning into the chaos of constant flux that would surely result if we were to impetuously pursue every new liberal idea to spring forth from our fertile minds. And conservatives admirably believe in America, established order, family, freedom, and success. This all sounds wonderful.

But when it comes to other people who happen to be different from the establishment, Republicans seem to be downright mean and nasty.

We are constantly reminded of the meanness of Republicans over and over again. One recent example is evident in the xenophobic remarks of the Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump, who recently referred to Mexican and other immigrants as rapists and murderers.

Basic common sense, however, tells us that human beings are not any more or less violent based upon where on a map they happened to have been born. And the evidence in studies bears this out as well by indicating that immigrants are no more likely to be violent than members of the overall population. Makes sense.

But Republicans seem to harbor some sort of a fear of foreigners and an aversion against other kinds of people who are not part of the established in-group. Their view seems to be that these other people are not like us, they pose a threat to us (for some unexplained reason), and thus automatically they should be regarded as enemies.

Democrats, on the other hand, tend to view all people first and foremost as human beings. To a Democrat, a Mexican immigrant is a human being, just like an American, but a human being who just so happened to have been born in a place named Mexico on a map. That’s all.

Another example of Republican nastiness is on full display in their concerted efforts to enact so called “voter ID” laws. The true intent behind these laws is obvious on its face. These laws are designed to discourage voting by poor and minority voters, who typically vote for Democrats, by imposing conditions for no good reason that disproportionately fall upon these targeted people and thus make it more difficult for them to vote.

This is not only mean and nasty, but it’s dirty. The deviousness required just to think of such a diabolical scheme is indeed astounding.

The reason these laws are so outrageous is because for a democracy to function properly, politicians should craft proposals that best serve the people they represent in order to win election. But Republicans know their proposals do not serve the people, so instead of developing better proposals for the people, they seek to undermine democracy itself by denying voters the ability to vote. This tactic runs counter to the very foundational principles of this nation and is an utter abomination.

Another example of Republican meanness can be seen in the so called “religious freedom” laws, which should more accurately be named “religious imposition” laws because they seek to impose the majority religion upon minorities. These laws were shrewdly designed to cruelly discriminate against people who happen to have different beliefs from the conservative Republican majority.

These “religious freedom” laws essentially permit businesses or employees to deny services based upon their religious beliefs. The most obvious scenario, which many claim is the true purpose behind these laws, is that religious observers could deny services to gay people if being gay violates the observer’s religious beliefs. A now notorious example is the pizza parlor that said it would refuse to serve gay people.

This is completely shocking and outrageous, especially in this modern age. It makes us feel like we have regressed backward to the egregious practices of racial segregation in the south when restaurants refused to serve black people. It is simply unbelievable that this is occurring today in modern day America, especially in light of the lessons we supposedly learned as a nation from the civil rights struggles of our recent past. Again, it is an example of Republicans being cruel to other people simply because they happen to be different from the majority.

Another example is the entire area of economic policy, which is overflowing with instances of cold-blooded Republican positions. The overall grand vision of Republicans is to cut services and spending to those who are the most vulnerable in society and who need them the most, while simultaneously lavishing rewards upon the most wealthy and powerful in society who need them the least.

Republicans are forever seeking to slash funding for programs that are so crucial to those in need, like food stamps, Medicare, Medicaid, low income housing assistance, unemployment benefits, and education, all while providing generous hand-outs to the wealthy through tax breaks and goodies for behemoth corporations. It is simply hard to understand how anyone could have so little compassion for the plight of other human beings.

Another example of Republican meanness is their preference for strict and harsh measures in attempting to impose conformity with their establishment order. We have seen this in their familiar calls for stronger law enforcement and harsher sentencing, as well as their disdain for rehabilitation and prevention programs.

Their approach of imposing power is much broader than just addressing crime, and indeed, it pervades their entire philosophical outlook from domestic initiatives to foreign policy. Republicans often speak in terms of projecting “strength,” being “feared,” commanding “respect,” and imposing punishments. They believe in building-up enormous police and military forces, and that the only way to achieve peace both domestically and internationally is through possessing overwhelming strength. The overarching theme is that anyone who dares to be different by not strictly adhering to the dictates of the establishment order will be taught a lesson and crushed like a bug.

The problem with this approach, of course, is that no one likes a bully. People desire to be free and to live their lives freely. People vastly prefer interaction that is cooperative, helpful, and accommodating, as opposed to authoritarian control that seeks to enforce a rigid establishment order.

Yet this is who Republicans are. And true to form, the current slate of Republican presidential candidates exhibit all of these characteristics in various forms and fashions.

But why? Why are Republicans so mean?

Well, it turns out that modern brain science may in fact offer some explanations.

A body of scientific evidence has shown that the actual brain structures and brain functions in conservatives are different from those in liberals. Conservative brains are much more inclined to perceive threats, aggression, and fear. As a result, when presented with the exact same external circumstance, the conservative brain is much more likely than the liberal brain to perceive a threat, and thus respond accordingly.

There are strong evolutionary justifications for this. Back when we all lived in caves and a bear walked along, the conservative caveperson would perceive this bear as an immediate threat, whereas the liberal caveperson might stroll right up to the bear and seek to give it a hug.

So even though conservatives and liberals observe the exact same factual circumstances in society and the world, their brains are in fact perceiving completely different situations. They are watching two very different movies.

No wonder we cannot see things the same way. And no wonder we have such different solutions to the same problems.

So maybe Republicans are not so mean after all. Maybe their reactions are perfectly rational and reasonable responses for what their brains are telling them is happening.

This brain theory seems to explain a lot. Republicans tend to feel threatened and under attack, and thus they feel the need to respond accordingly. This certainly explains their ardent views in favor of possessing and carrying guns. Their brains are telling them that there is an actual and imminent threat of attack.

This theory also seems to explain so much about the overall views of Republicans. No wonder they are so opposed to government, and big government in particular. Their brains perceive a threat. No wonder they rail against the IRS and often assert that it “goes after” people.

This brain theory also explains their strong views against immigration. They perceive out-groups as a threat to their own in-group. This perfectly explains Donald Trump’s comments against immigrants, even though his view is not supported by credible factual evidence. Mr. Trump’s brain perceives a general threat from out-groups, and thus he is inclined to view them as rapists and murders even though they are not.

The theory also explains the general opposition by Republicans to issues of civil rights. Much has been made about the Republican’s so called “war on women.” Republicans, however, believe that this charge is outrageous and not even close to being accurate. After all, Republicans love their mothers, wives, and daughters. Under the brain theory, Republicans do not hate women, but rather, Republicans are merely protecting the structure of the established order, and any proposed change to this established order is perceived by the conservative brain as a threat that must be quashed.

From the Republican perspective, they are not acting against women. Instead, the Republicans are acting in the best interests of the safety and security of everyone in society, including women, by preserving the paramount established order. After all, this established order is what enabled our species to survive in the first place, so any change to this established order is perceived by the conservative brain to be a grave and fundamental threat to us all. This explains why Republicans are so opposed to any such changes in society and fight so hard against them. This also explains why Republicans tend to be so intractable in their positions and unwilling to compromise. They are fighting for the very survival of the species.

A similar perspective can be applied to race. Some have suggested that the extreme and fanatical opposition by Republicans to the presidency of Barack Obama, who is the first black president of the United States, is rooted in racism against black people. Republicans, however, reject the charge that they are racist.

Is it possible to be opposed to having a black president but not be racist? Well, the brain theory seems to offer an explanation. As the theory goes, conservatives are not mean and evil people who hate black people, but rather, conservatives are honorable and noble people who are merely attempting to protect the established order against threats to its existence.

A similar perspective can be applied to gays and gay marriage. Under the brain theory, the reason conservatives are opposed to gay marriage is not because conservatives are mean and hate gay people. Instead, conservatives are honorably and nobly seeking to protect the established order against threats that would upend it, and in doing so they are acting for the benefit of our entire society.

Now, if you have suffered discrimination as a result of being female, black, or gay, it probably does not matter much to you whether those who discriminated against you were acting with what they believed to be honorable intentions. Fair enough. Discrimination is wrong and our society must strive to eliminate it.

But the reason this matters is that understanding the cause of discrimination can be critical to developing solutions to eliminate it.

Understanding the science of the brain just might help conservatives and liberals get along with each other a little bit better. Liberals might bear in mind that conservatives are not just mean and nasty, but instead that their brains are more likely to perceive circumstances as being extremely threatening. As a result, liberals might seek to take extra measures to allay these fears. And conservatives might bear in mind that their own brains are more susceptible to interpret circumstances as being overly threatening when such threats may not be so severe.

We might just be able to get along with each other after all

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cody-cain/why-are-republicans-so-me_b_7777756.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

Understanding the science of the brain just might help conservatives and liberals get along with each other a little bit better. Liberals might bear in mind that conservatives are not just mean and nasty, but instead that their brains are more likely to perceive circumstances as being extremely threatening. As a result, liberals might seek to take extra measures to allay these fears. And conservatives might bear in mind that their own brains are more susceptible to interpret circumstances as being overly threatening when such threats may not be so severe.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

They're nice to me. Big hugs

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Since most psychologists are liberal one should not expect them to see the glaring problems that exist in the liberal way of perceiving things ...

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Hahaha Good answer Petey.  winking

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I wish I shared your good humor about that fact . I find it a continuing tragedy ...

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

I wish I shared your good humor about that fact . I find it a continuing tragedy ...

Geesh - okay, no humor.  The people on this site don't like humor I'm finding unless it comes from their source.

I've added you to the growing list of members for me not to joke around with.   

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I've added you to the list of people who think the liberal viewpoint is perfect as is & should never be questioned ...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Maybe it's because they are constantly called racists/facists/sexists etc etc...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Maybe it's because they are constantly called racists/facists/sexists....

Maybe it's because their comments and activities often elicits tones of racists, fascists and sexist beliefs.    

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

I don't worry about how mean Republicans are. Just how uninformed and prone to believing fabrications they are. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I don't worry about how mean Republicans are. Just how uninformed and prone to believing fabrications they are. 

The problem is when the Republican philosophy is enacted into law they are often deemed as unfavorable or "mean" to various factions of the people, such as minorities and women.

The more liberal philosophy contained law favors all the people, but  the more conservative philosophy in our laws only seems to favor the conservatives.   

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

jerry , you keep right on believing that , that's your right , as Reagan said,  the only problem with what our liberals friends KNOW is that so much of what they know is WRONG.

My view of liberal created laws is  they tend to if someone is disenfranchised and set upon , to correct that another group is then disenfranchised denigrated  and set upon . just my view and opinion.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Kevin Williamson correctly explains the difference:

The problem is that while conservatives see “Live and Let Live” as a useful if imperfect instrument of civil peace, progressives view “Live and Let Live” as a distinct moral evil. It is less important to them that California is allowed to be California than that Texas should be forbidden to be Texas. Progressives have since the time of Bismarck had a mania for uniformity, because they believe that uniformity is necessary for their larger project: managing society as though it were a single factory and its people were widgets. You cannot package widgets eight to a box if they vary in size or shape.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Kevin Williamson correctly explains the difference:

Kevin  Williamson is an author for the   National Review ,  which was founded by the not less than the relentlessly strong conservative William F. Buckley Jr. . IMO, Williamson's thinking and philosophy tends to lean strongly toward the right. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Jerry I believe you are on to something there. 

What do you think of a group of people who want to take away the right of people to vote or have a voice in the direction of this country.  Are they mean?  Maybe we should take the voting rights away from California and/or New York, what you think?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     8 years ago

Read the article , and have seen more intelligent substance coming out of the north end of a south facing donkey, the author appears to be another zipperheaded jackwagon daisy trying to build a safe space in the real world that is too harsh for their sensabilities  .

hey , if as a white male I'm gonna be accused of something , might as well become it right?

old saying , be careful what you wish for , you just might get it , and it wont be what you thought.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

I'm sensing that you're starting to feel threatened.  Fear not, it's all based on science and I've been told Republicans don't believe in science so you can just disregard this study.  chuckle

You guys need to get a sense of humor.  I've been attacked and ridiculed all day and I still try to move past it.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  PJ   8 years ago

threatened by those that are attempting to use projection of their own irrational fears to appease their delicate sensabilities and safely convince themselves they know better and are thus right, from supposed safe spaces?

Not hardly.

As for a sense of humor , i had one until i started being accused of racism , bigotry , etc etc etc...simply because i wouldnt "toe the line and buy the garbage that was shoveled". so i figure now might as well act like i have been accused of being( as untruthful as it is).

and the left wonders why they lost the center( granted I am a little right of center, but even a little to the right is as bad as being far right)..

PJ
Masters Quiet

You know what, you're right Mark.  Have a nice evening.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

Have you bemoaned the fact that Donald Trump will be the next president Mark? I must have missed that. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

No John , because I'm not a little daisy that has to whine and throw tantrums, nor am i frightened for the future , i have a very good understanding of the electoral process and accepted the results before election day knowing one of the 2 (neither of whom i supported or voted for) would win, no matter who won the electoral college.

as i stated before , this country survived 8 years of Bush 2 even with all the bullcrap and policy screw-ups , and it is showing to survive 8 years of Obama , whom i consider someone who started out with good intentions but was led by his party and became the single most divisive president in my lifetime because he followed party ideology instead of trying to be a president representing EVERYONE and not just the special interests,  but this is only my opinion and we know what opinions are like and compared too.

so i have faith that if this country survived both of those , it will survive a trump presidency , but i see both sides making enemies politically already when they both should be looking for a coallition and allies .  i simple withdraw from the theatrics and the circus now .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

No John , because I'm not a little daisy that has to whine and throw tantrums, nor am i frightened for the future , i have a very good understanding of the electoral process and accepted the results before election day knowing one of the 2 (neither of whom i supported or voted for) would win, no matter who won the electoral college.

With all due respect, understanding the electoral college, or not, has nothing to do with the problems of the country right now. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

When you say "the problems of the country" you really mean the problems of the big cities . The fact that you don't understand that will continue to mislead your "thinking" [I use the term loosely]  in the future .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

When you say "the problems of the country"

When I say the problems of the country, I am talking about the Trump presidency. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

CxMazSCW8AIlSQN.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

This photo essay, btw, has to do with Paul Ryans's declaration that he wants to end Medicare and put seniors on a voucher system that will not cover their insurance needs. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I thought Paul Ryan's plan would lead them off a cliff, not into a gutter?  Well at least they'll have a chance in the gutter.  lol

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

Really john , you actually think i don't have an understanding or grasp of the political divide , as well as the racial divide , or the sexual divide , or the economic divide that exists in this country? those are divides each and every president has had to deal with and every citizen since the nation was founded has had to deal with , so its not the trump presidency that's the problem the true problem is how the presidency can work with congress , the judiciary , as well as the people ,

The only problem in the trump presidency/ administration is you dislike it before its even formed and had any chance to operate , the same thing you personally bitched about the right doing to Obama. So no i don't expect you or anyone else to give it a chance , all i can do is speak for myself , i will give trump the same 1  to 1 1/2 year honeymoon p[eriod to get the admins feet on the ground before i decide my personal actions , the same thing i did for every 1st term president since i started voting in 1980. if he gets a year and a half it will be because of the obstructionism from the side of the isle he is not affiliated with. but that's how I do it everyone else is welcome to make their own choices.

Sorry to inform you , just because Wyoming is in my screen name and it is where I live , that does not mean this is where I was educated ,  and it doesn't mean this is where i took courses , i had some of the SAME professors as your esteemed POTUS in Cambridge , that also worked in the community college systems as well as at the better known college names ( IVY league).  Just because some one chooses a lifestyle or a place to live , doesn't mean they are  backwater redneck uneducated hicks .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Donald Trump is a pathological liar. Where have you been for the past 2 years? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

not listening to you or left wing bias and fearmongering , but forming my own educated opinion . and that scares the crap out of the far left and idealogs

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

simply because i wouldnt "toe the line and buy the garbage that was shoveled". so i figure now might as well act like i have been accused of being( as untruthful as it is

Is your habit of frequently failing to capitalize your "i" from laziness, or is it from what you feel about yourself?

I am a little right of center

You are a little more than "..... ... a little right of center...", since I first started debating with you I have found you getting a little lost in that Right Wing bubble.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

If my spelling capitalization and punctuation is all you have , have fun , as for my stances , well when your as far left as you are , anyone on the center and leaning right appears far right , just short of hitler and Mussolini, you will just have to get use to the fact others may consider you in the wrong on some subjects , its just a fact of life.

As for your attempted analizing (purposly misspelled ) about how I feel about myself , I Know that I am just an individual and of no consequence in this universe , my presence and entire life will be but a gnats fart if that in its existence , much the same as yours . 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

I've been attacked and ridiculed all day and I still try to move past it.

I f this pertains to my statement last evening , I did apologize to you for it looking like you caused the rant , any more ridicule or attacks , please refer them to me and i will set the record straight, I know you do not need my protection nor defense , but you also should not have been ridiculed or attacked for something that is and was in no way your fault .

In my defense so as to not offend , mama raised a gentleman when it comes to ladies , but daddy raised a scrapper , and sometimes the Southie comes out with the irish temper of the born redhead.

PJ
Masters Quiet

I f this pertains to my statement last evening , I did apologize to you for it looking like you caused the rant

No, I'm not referring to you but it doesn't matter.  I was pretty excited to be here when I first came but it's difficult to keep coming back with an optimistic attitude.   

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

My dear lady , that I can understand as there is evidence to show my sometimes uncouth behavior .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Emma Roller Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Hi, Emma with the NYT here. Any comment on 200+ hate crimes that have occurred since Tuesday?

Emma Roller added,

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I find the whole hate crime thing should be thrown away with the rest of the PC crap that's been forced upon us. If a black man shoots another black man for walking in his hood is that a love crime? Is that crime less newsworthy than calling a radical Muslim a camel jockey. 

It's a load of crap when the FBI is called to look at spray paint on a garage door but send nobody to investigate a triple murder in gangland. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Did you see where the Times Publisher sent out a letter that they will start reporting the truth, after receiving the public ass-whipping last Tuesday night?  Too bad they didn't bother all along, but it's all about ratings points and trying to achieve their goals, not Journalism.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

By the title alone, I knew who seeded this "piece". Someone who had a meltdown after the election and shrilly denounced many here on NT as misogynists, racists, and other deplorables. In the absence of an apology, I'm not going to bother reading whatever whiny dreck she has deposited here.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Leave her alone fool. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Mind your own business, geezer.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Careful, she might tell you to Fuck Off.

I would think on the side of reality, there should be a seed on 'Why are Democrats so mean (and so butthurt when they don't get their way)?'

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

By the title alone, I knew who seeded this "piece". Someone who had a meltdown after the election and shrilly denounced many here on NT as misogynists, racists, and other deplorables. In the absence of an apology, I'm not going to bother reading whatever whiny dreck she has deposited here.

Holy shit! This article has really pissed off Cerenkov! 

Look at the length the comment from the 'one liner' peanut gallery captain. Three sentences!

The Left has taken a beating at the voting polls, but the Right now has Donald Trump as their flag bearer. Seems like they're locked into only complaining about all the complaining about the biggest political blunder in history.

Looks like they will have to suffer the next four years along with the the rest of us.

(He read most of the article. In the words of  Donald Trump ...."Believe me")   

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

"(He read most of the article. In the words of  Donald Trump ...."Believe me")"

That's a lie. People who lie are liars.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

"(He read most of the article. In the words of  Donald Trump ...."Believe me")"

That's a lie. People who lie are liars.

Your groping here Cerenkov. So I was mistaken, you didn't read the article. Making a mistake does not make one a liar. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

That's not what the left said about GWB...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

From what I've seen on this site, if its any indication, it seems to me that the progressives/liberals/lefties/Democrats are a lot meaner than the Republicans.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz , there was a political shellacking handed out last week that was not ever in a million years would it have been able to be predicted , partially because of the sup[posed echo chamber mentality that permeates politics . of course some will look at it as a total rejection of their beliefs and policies , I don't see it as that , but a reminder that  to stay relevant , the party has to stay abreast not only with those within , but those with out .

I cringe when I see some of the articles popping up , its a repeat of some of the things said 8 years ago except its been flipped, and those that don't remember or study history are doomed to repeat it. or so they say.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

Hopefully when the shock dissipates and the animosity lessens Americans will start to work towards improving their problems instead of exacerbating them.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

hope you don't mind , but I wont be holding my breath waiting for that to happen , least not on this site.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Hopefully when the shock dissipates and the animosity lessens Americans will start to work towards improving their problems instead of exacerbating them.   

I suppose you're right. We survived Richard Nixon, we survived George W. Bush, we even survived the Civil fucking War. I'm sure we can deal with Trump for the next four years (if he stays in office that long). He'll be fun for the comedians and us pundits. 

Let's just hope he doesn't piss off Kim Jong-un into planting a nuke onto Main Street in Los Angels. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Finally, an intelligent answer. So that really means the protesters are wasting their time.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

So that really means the protesters are wasting their time.

No, not really.

Donald Trump as President embarrassment to this country.

This is the first time in modern history we have had visible protesters in the streets regarding a presidential election. People in the US, notably the 46% of eligible voters that stayed home, as well as the people around the world, need to know we realize we have made a mistake here.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

From what I've seen on this site, if its any indication, it seems to me that the progressives/liberals/lefties/Democrats are a lot meaner than the Republicans.

Please Buzz, it looks like the Chinese have been filtering your input here. You can't honestly tell me you think the Right Wing rhetoric here is not more ungenerous and hostile as the Left Wing commentary. The Left knows how to insult with classy and panache vigor. However, the Left does know how to respond to the nasty vitriol instigated by the Right using an extra amount of energy.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Chinese have nothing to do with my attitude or my comment. I was clearly referring to the postings on TheNewsTalkiers only, and I stand on my opinion that the losers here have shown no grace whatsoever, whereas those who either supported Trump or who did not commit to either have attempted to ameliorate the situation.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

The Chinese have nothing to do with my attitude or my comment.

I was just bustin' your chops Buzz.

I was clearly referring to the postings on TheNewsTalkiers only, and I stand on my opinion that the losers here have shown no grace whatsoever,

It's hard to be graceful when you lose to because so many of Americans decided to follow a candidate that used buffoonery and lies to gain his way into the Presidency of the United States.

Does anyone here think that Trump's insults to invalids, veterans and women are just be forgotten? We're supposed to accept that his obvious lack of any foreign policy knowledge or common sense does not put us in a dangerous position?

Are we supposed to believe that his enormous and widespread financial holdings are not going to influence his decision making?  

Over the past ten-twelve years I've been saying our public education system has been in the decline. The election of a Donald Trump to be our President is proof that I have been right.  

whereas those who either supported Trump or who did not commit to either have attempted to ameliorate the situation.

How are we supposed to ameliorate this mess? The guy is totally unqualified to occupy the oval office, but he has been elected by whatever weird set of circumstances. From the beginning many people have been pointing out he is not suited to be the POTUS, but he kept moving along, being voted by people that don't seem to understand most of what he said were lies and exaggerations.  

I have a feeling, most likely a false hope, that within his first two years in office he will say or do something that will lead to an impeachment hearing. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

You've agreed with my point that the educational dumbing down of America is one of the causes for this result.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

You've agreed with my point that the educational dumbing down of America is one of the causes for this result.

I didn't know you have made that point, but I'm glad to see I have company with that theory. 

I think it also reflects on our economy. Of course there are exceptions to this, but I think the affluent, having more access to our better higher educational system, also results in them being better able to access the wealth in the country. Whereas, the masses that are mostly limited to our failing public education system are subjected to most often being left to living in the much divided lower end of our economy.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

"I have a feeling, most likely a false hope, that within his first two years in office he will say or do something that will lead to an impeachment hearing."

Not the first time  I have heard this since the election. But I will offer a scenario , most likely not thought of that is a possibility.

Lets say trump is impeached , if it happens after the 2 year mark , and Pence becomes the president , Pence  is eligible to run for 2 terms of his own , if he wins depends on a number of factors and I do not have a crystal ball nor can I tell the future that far in advance . ( yes I have accurately predicted the winner of the POTUS race since I became eligible to vote in 1980, but the caveate is , I cant say who it is , and it has to be done 2 weeks before the election , who I think will win at that time always has even if I change my mind between then and election eve, call bullshit if you want *) so there is a good potential if trumps impeached , pence can extend his partys stay in the WH for 10 years if everything actually goes right ( those factors I was talking about).

Right now the GOP has a plethora of party members that are still young where as the DEM party is overloaded with those on the older side , but that can change in 10 years as well, but that recruitment has to start now and those recruits are going to have to remain what I call "clean " no scandals , no questionable ethics or actions , same has to happen for the GOP now .

Historically , I don't see it happening , is it something that has a chance of happening , I think so, and a better than even chance actually but that just a gut feeling.

* this election cycle is the first time , and I think because of how abnormal the election was , that I had no clue would win. but I did know it was going to be one for the history books.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

Lets say trump is impeached ....

That's an interesting and possible scenario Mark, I have philosophical problems with Pence, but I would have no problem with him in the oval office for a while, even if he won a term on his own. He's better than Trump.  

However the Dems have a fairly strong bench that will be available in 2020. 

Dannel Malloy,  Governor of Connecticut. 

Tom Udall, The son of a Kennedy-era secretary of the interior, he's a Senator from New Mexico

Jay Nixon,  Governor of Missouri

John Hickenlooper. Governor of Colorado

But in my opinion the Dems strength lies in their women, here is an incomplete list of who I think are the strongest;

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand

Health And Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano

Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

Jerry I think that's a plausible list, but ( there is always a butt in there) a couple things I have seen happen in the past that people should take into account  that I feel had a very big part in the recent election .

Age after a certain point becomes an issue whether its spoken of or not

Charisma , can the candidate smooze and hobnob with people effectively

Likeability , and I feel that was a very YUGE part of this last election , can a candidate be trusted is part of it , and there are other things that people can and do use to gauge likability.

and finally past history , and that's another factor that played big this last time and everyone decided for themselves what they considered acceptable or non acceptable.

surely this short list can be expanded , but from what I saw , these are in the core , what people revert to.

And I think these are something all parties ( current and proposed) need to keep in mind if they wish to be or remain relevant.

* tried to make this as non partisan as possable

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Meanspirited and violent as well.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     8 years ago

Bet a lot of folks are gonna stop eating Cheetos because they remind them of trump...... better get rid of that stock...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

I'm mean but not this mean. 

“I’ve wrestled with alligators,
I’ve tussled with a whale.
I done handcuffed lightning
And throw thunder in jail.
You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.”