╌>

The Secret and Shocking History of Female Genital Mutilation in the USA

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jerry-verlinger  •  8 years ago  •  33 comments

The Secret and Shocking History of Female Genital Mutilation in the USA

Image result for theguardian logo Dr A Renee Bergstrom

Pinterest

" FGM happened to me in white, midwest America " A Christian doctor removed my clitoris when I was three years old as a ‘cure’ for masturbation, writes Renee Bergstrom excerpts from the feature documentary by John Chua Video: The Cut: Exposing FGM Worldwide #StopGlobalFGM

In 1947, when I was just three years old a doctor removed my clitoris.  Female genital mutilation  is mostly associated with African cultures, and non-Christian religions, but my FGM happened in white, midwest America. It took place in a church clinic that used a scalpel on girls who masturbated.

I remember the excruciating pain and feeling betrayed. I was told not to talk about it, but keeping the secret meant I was alone with my questions as I grew into puberty: what was missing? What would it be like to be “whole”?

At 15 I consulted a doctor regarding a tugging sensation from my scar tissue. Unknowingly, I went to the same clinic where the clitoridectomy was performed and the doctor shamed me with a booklet entitled The Sin of Self-Pleasuring.

My first child and I could have died – an almost universal impact of FGM is difficulty giving birth. I, like so many women around the world, did not know genital scar tissue does not stretch. I wanted to be fully awake to experience giving birth, but my obstetrician performed an extensive episiotomy under anaesthetic that took months to heal. He was compassionate and shocked to hear the origin of my scar.

Unfortunately, he was no longer available for my next two pregnancies and my new obstetrician saw me as a scientific experiment. Another surgeon offered to remove one of my nipples to create a faux clitoris. I found these proposals repulsive, and declined them both. Discomfort continued for 50 years until the scar separated during menopause.

Forgiving does not mean forgetting

I no longer have that daily physical reminder and I have forgiven all those involved. However, forgiving does not mean forgetting. Today I work with women who have experienced FGM. Along with my friend, Filsan Ali, I created a brochure for pregnant infibulated Somalian women. It is designed for women to share with their clinicians to initiate a conversation about opening the scar to prevent unnecessary caesarean sections.

The impetus for my writing is concern regarding increased hatred and disrespect toward women, other cultures and religions – as if Christians in the United States had a flawless history.

FGM is not my shame, it is my story. I witnessed Christian religions declaring masturbation a sin, “some Christian leaders and doctors” recommending circumcision to prevent it, physicians carrying out the practice and our American culture first accepting this form of sexual abuse and then denying it ever occurred.

My resilience stems from love, respect and caring from my husband, my family and many people throughout the world who stood in solidarity with me as I progressed on my healing journey.

Freedom

Flying Free From Abuse. Illustration: Ren

Honoring pain through art

About 30 years earlier, I painted an image of a woman flying free of all forms of oppression and abuse. Little did I know then that the artist in me was knocking.

In the early 1980s at a Swiss art gallery I saw a statue of a man who looked just like my brother Phil who died while I was in college. The overwhelming grief created a portal for me to mourn another great loss in my life. I felt this statue was a distinct sign, a blessing, if you will, of the work I had begun to undertake toward elimination of FGM.

My desire for our country is that we be known for our compassion and fair treatment of all those who have suffered and continue to suffer. My dream for the world is that practising cultures end FGM so women everywhere can experience wholeness, as I believe our Creator intended. My hope is we can fly free from oppression and abuse. At 72, I, Renee the Artist, add my voice to those who have risen above social and cultural pressure to remain silent.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger    8 years ago

It always amazes me how religion, while preaching love and peace, has no problem using violence and mutilation to promote their beliefs,

Years ago I had heard about some Christian groups that promoted using FGM on their female infants, but I had trouble believing the stories. Now I come across this article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

We sure are civilized aren't we.../s

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

We sure are civilized aren't we.../s

For the most part, we are. However, all beliefs have their radicals. Christians are not an exception. 

Our job as social news site members is to help distribute new findings to enlighten people about things that have been kept secret or have limited disclosure.   

The biggest problem we have right now is how to identify False News. I have tried to research Renee Bergstrom and other than finding she lives in apparently Laguna Niguel, California,  and formally lived in Fountain Hills, Arizona, I haven't found out much about her. 

This story was seeded from the US edition of thegardian , a   publication which I have faith that they did their due diligence regarding researching the story. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

It really bothers me that a doctor would do this-- I don't care about his personal beliefs, this is definitely against the Hippocratic oath!  

Christians have a lot to answer for and this is one of them.  Despicable!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

As well there are sects of Christianity who believe in using only holistic medications only, as they watch their children who could have survived with modern medications die.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

".....they watch their children who could have survived with modern medications die.

Their belief is that it is only left to God to decide if the child is to live or die.

The problem is that they have omitted the fact that the same God gave us the intelligence to devise and invent the modern medications we use to sustain and perpetuate the lives He gave us.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

That's how I've always thought too, Jerry.  If God didn't want us to preserve life, why did he give us the tools to learn how to do it?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Christians have a lot to answer for and this is one of them. 

That comment may qualify for the understatement of the year award.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

As long as that 'comment' is applied equally to all other religions.  Other than that, it's just bitching about one religion.  There are religions right now that are doing this and virtually out in the open.  Want someone to answer for Christianity?  Then demand answers form all those other religions also.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

I do!!!  WHY is this still an on-going problem?  For any faith.  Somehow, when it is done by Christianity, I feel personally betrayed...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

It's been illegal for 20 years.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

It's been illegal for 20 years.

Not exact;y.

TITLE 18—CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 

§ 116. Female genital mutilation (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) [medical] , whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Semantics. Forced FGM is illegal. Of course fgm for adults is still legal. Sex change surgery is much much more invasive and damaging, and it's legal.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Semantics.

I would call it a clarification.

Forced FGM is illegal.

You didn't say that.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

As long as that 'comment' is applied equally to all other religions.

I feel it does apply to all religions. I said above "..... all beliefs have their radicals. Christians are not an exception. "

The comment you are referring to was in response to a comment by Dowser, who said Christians have a lot to answer too. I agree with you Spike, all religions has chattels that are often hard to understand..

IMO, "religion", any form or structure, posses a really big question regarding its existence.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Want someone to answer for Christianity?

I did not post this seed looking for an answer from Christianity regarding this practice. I posted it to point out Christians also have their radicals.

Then demand answers form all those other religions also.

The fact that some other religions condone and preform FGM does not make it an acceptable practice.  

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Pretty broad brush you paint with there Dowser.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Uncle Bruce   8 years ago

Pretty broad brush you paint with there Dowser.

Broad brush??!!

How about this one?  Religions  have a lot to answer for and this is one of them.

Actually, it turns out that this FGM thing is not necessarily a religious activity after all. People of many religions engage in it, including Christians. [ See comment ]

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger    8 years ago

I have found out more about Dr. Bergstrom. She does not live in CA, (a Dr, Steven  Bergstrom lives there) Renee Bergstrom, according to her Linkendin account , lives in Rochester Minnesota.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

She should have her license jerked!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dowser, is she the writer of the article seeded or is she 'The Doctor'.  Remember this story took place in 1947.  Not sure that Doctor would still be alive today.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

The doctor very likely isn't alive today, and we can heave a sigh of relief!  in 1947, my mother was 17 years old...  She may have been subjected to this type of 'service', but thankfully wasn't.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

She should have her license jerked!

Wrong Doctor.

Dr. Renee Bergstrom does not perform FGM, she is the author as well as the victim in this article. She does not name or even know the name of the Doctor that did the surgery on her.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

My apologies to Dr. Renee Bergstrom.  The doctor that did this to her, if he/she is not dead, should lose their license.  NO ONE should be allowed to do this and get away with it.  

I know it is illegal, NOW, but it obviously wasn't, then.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I know it is illegal, NOW, but it obviously wasn't, then.

It is supposed to be illegal now, however I have only been able to find a law dated as recent as 1994, an excerpt is posted above , that law only restricts FGM for anyone under the age of 18.

In spite of the current legal restrictions there seems to be a recent rise in the practice. According to a report in Wikipedia;

The current prevalence of FGM in the US is uncertain. In early 2014,  Equality Now   campaigned with survivor activist  Jaha Dukureh  – who started a change.org petition that received more than 220,000 signatures, – Representatives Joseph Crowley (D-NY) and Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), and  The Guardian  to get the Obama Administration to conduct a new prevalence study into the current scope of FGM in the U.S. as the first step towards its elimination. [5]  Released in early 2016, the report showed that 513,000 girls and women were either affected - or at risk of undergoing FGM in the U.S .
[ Read the full report ]

Also, in a report posted in February 2015 Reuters Foundation report, FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION ON THE RISE IN THE U.S.

excerpt:

The practice predates religion and has no religious significance in either Islam nor Christianity. However, communities of both faiths continue to circumcise their daughters, believing it will cleanse or purify the girl, ensure she remains sexually chaste, prevent cheating on her future husband and keep her behaving well.
[ Read the full story ]

Most of this increase is due to the recent increase of people from countries in Africa and the Middle East, how many victims are from Christian families is not reported in that story. 

A report by ScienceDirect, the African Journal of Urology , says;

FGM has become a worldwide human rights and health issue. Contrary to the belief that it is a practice carried out by Muslims only, it is also practiced by Christians and a minority group of Ethiopian Jews. However, FGM is neither mentioned in the Torah, nor in the Gospels, and – like in Islam – bodily mutilation is condemned by both religions. In fact, FGM is a mix of mainly cultural and social factors which may put tremendous pressure on the members of the society in question. [ Full report ]

Question: Is there a difference between American Christians and Christians from other countries? It seems to me that a religious belief supersedes a nationality. Anyway, in my research on this I have found the practice is more cultural than it is religious. Apparently some of these mutations are conducted by a culture that also happens to be Christian.